Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

Default Holy Cow my soldiers are getting $20K re-enlistment

Part of my duties include signing re-enlistment contracts.

One of my E5 92A (warehouse supply) soldiers is getting $20K to re-enlist for another 6 years.

I remember when EOD guys were getting $40K, but that was to dance around bombs, and go through a much more hellish MOS school. Now guys can get $20K for simply doing warehouse work.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:46 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Yup
I know a few Air Force captains in La making 10-12k/ month

Most are thinking they will try for 20 years.. the pay is just that good

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 04-02-2018, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
Yup
I know a few Air Force captains in La making 10-12k/ month

Most are thinking they will try for 20 years.. the pay is just that good
Yes, if I was full time active duty I would be making $103K a year as a 1LT.

When I was in officer training I was making $8K a month as a 2LT.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:05 PM

Honestly, I think that's the smartest thing I've seen the Army do when it comes to money. If an E5 re-enlists, they don't have to spend anything on him and get to retain that knowledge and experience for ~$3,300 a year. The best I've heard is when former Marines go over to the Guard as 11Bs and don't get a dime... that's the best bargain for the Guard ever.

And dang re 8k a month for BOLC. Maybe I got six all told with a socal zipcode?
Old 04-03-2018, 1:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy47 View Post
Yes, if I was full time active duty I would be making $103K a year as a 1LT.

When I was in officer training I was making $8K a month as a 2LT.
Lets be perfectly clear here.

An 01 with 4+ years of service makes $3910 base pay which is equivalent to an E6.
An 02 with 6+ years of service makes $4955 base pay a month which is equivalent to E7 pay. Some Chiefs make more than 02s. Thats a fact.
So an O2 which is a LT junior grade in the Navy has a take home base pay of $59,460 per year.

My buddy is a W4 with over 28 years of service and he is making $7820 base pay a month. That equals $93,840 a year for a W4. A lot more than his 01-03 counterparts.

I do not look at bonuses because there are very few MOSs and rates that get them in our service and they can change.

Last edited by Endless; 04-03-2018 at 1:09 PM..
Old 04-03-2018, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless View Post
Lets be perfectly clear here.

An 01 with 4+ years of service makes $3910 base pay which is equivalent to an E6.
An 02 with 6+ years of service makes $4955 base pay a month which is equivalent to E7 pay. Some Chiefs make more than 02s. Thats a fact.
So an O2 which is a LT junior grade in the Navy has a take home base pay of $59,460 per year.

My buddy is a W4 with over 28 years of service and he is making $7820 base pay a month. That equals $93,840 a year for a W4. A lot more than his 01-03 counterparts.

I do not look at bonuses because there are very few MOSs and rates that get them in our service and they can change.
ah, yeah my model of 6k factored in BAH. That W4 must kill it factoring in BAH and benefits!
Old 04-03-2018, 2:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

lot a money for remf
Old 04-03-2018, 3:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomk556 View Post
ah, yeah my model of 6k factored in BAH. That W4 must kill it factoring in BAH and benefits!
For sure. He is making solid money. His wife spends most of it though. Lol can’t even imagine a W5 at 30.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yep, when at BOLC I was pulling $3400 BAH, and then we were getting $1200 a month in per deim all on top of base pay.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
The best I've heard is when former Marines go over to the Guard as 11Bs and don't get a dime... that's the best bargain for the Guard ever.
That is because any Marine willing to go over to the guard isn't worth the money that we have already put into them
Quote:
I don't understand. Is he being forced out for being an ammo-grabbing fascist or for being a failure as an ammo-grabbing fascist?
Old 04-05-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
An 02 with 6+ years of service makes $4955 base pay a month which is equivalent to E7 pay.
That is more than an E-7 with 16+ years makes.
Quote:
I don't understand. Is he being forced out for being an ammo-grabbing fascist or for being a failure as an ammo-grabbing fascist?
Old 04-05-2018, 2:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcourson View Post
That is more than an E-7 with 16+ years makes.
I am talking any E7. At 26+ they make more, as they should. Look it up.

Last edited by Endless; 04-05-2018 at 2:14 PM..
Old 04-06-2018, 9:03 AM
Veteran Member

just wait, you'll find out those bonuses were not authorized. Just like the last fiasco were the Pentagon tried to charge recruiters with fruad. Recoup those bonuses again..
Old 04-06-2018, 10:25 AM

It's dependent on need. If the service is having a hard time getting recruits the bonus' go up. In the 70's an army recruit could get $4000, more if he had some college.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I am talking any E7. At 26+ they make more, as they should. Look it up.

That is disingenuous.
To pick a specific yearly pay for an O2 and and say that it is equivalent to an E7 pay without specifying that it is only at the far end of the E7's service is ridiculous.
I don't know how they do things in the army, but E7's aren't allowed to serve past 22 years in the Marine Corps.
Quote:
Old 04-06-2018, 12:33 PM

I had a soldier get 3k for extending one year!
Old 04-06-2018, 12:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
That is disingenuous.
To pick a specific yearly pay for an O2 and and say that it is equivalent to an E7 pay without specifying that it is only at the far end of the E7's service is ridiculous.
I don't know how they do things in the army, but E7's aren't allowed to serve past 22 years in the Marine Corps.
Regardless, it’s still a fact. What you’re talking about is of recent. That was not always the case for ALL services and if you have served over 20 years you would know this.

My old boss did 28 years as an E7. Do you have a problem with that? I sure hope not. Have you served 20-40 years? Sounds like no. And it’s 100% relevant here. Again, you would know that the years and how long you could stay in is of recent.

I don’t argue fact so I won’t follow up again. We’re done here.

Good day.

Last edited by Endless; 04-06-2018 at 12:47 PM..
Old 04-06-2018, 3:50 PM
Veteran Member

Back in 2008 when I was eligible to re-up, I was offered $60k, and an additional $25k to stay with my unit for 3 of those years. This was offered to me when I was outside CONUS so it would've all been tax free.

I declined.

When I got assigned for temporary duty, for the last 3-4 months I had left to serve, I heard my unit was going on a MEU to Okinawa. Sure enough, 1 month into deployment their orders changed and they had to go to Afghanistan.

I sometimes wonder if I'd even be here posting, they took a lot of KIA's.

RIP Darkhorse
my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Full size. Stubbies are for sissies.
Old 04-06-2018, 6:19 PM

I always wonder how many folks have been hosed by getting paid a taxabl bonus like a month after they get back to CONUS... no doubt having been eligible to receive it while still deployed.
Old 04-07-2018, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Regardless, it’s still a fact. What you’re talking about is of recent. That was not always the case for ALL services and if you have served over 20 years you would know this.

My old boss did 28 years as an E7. Do you have a problem with that? I sure hope not. Have you served 20-40 years? Sounds like no. And it’s 100% relevant here. Again, you would know that the years and how long you could stay in is of recent.

I don’t argue fact so I won’t follow up again. We’re done here.

Good day.
Yes, what you said was a fact. In the same way that anti gunners state the facts that there are fewer gun homicides where there are fewer guns. It is true, but it is misleading and useless without context.

Also, don't be a self righteous *****. I straight up said that I did not know how other branches did it, but that has been the case in the Marines since well before I joined 18 years ago.
Quote:
Old 04-07-2018, 5:06 PM

Quote:
I always wonder how many folks have been hosed by getting paid a taxabl bonus like a month after they get back to CONUS... no doubt having been eligible to receive it while still deployed.

I had almost that same thing happen 10 years ago. I received my re-enlistment bonus on the last pay period of the year right before I was set for another deployment where I would spend most of the year in a tax free zone. As it stood, it bumped me up to the next tax bracket.
Quote:
Old 04-07-2018, 5:19 PM

We are all brothers in arms. No need to fight; it's all sharing of info and discussion..
Old 04-09-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
I had almost that same thing happen 10 years ago. I received my re-enlistment bonus on the last pay period of the year right before I was set for another deployment where I would spend most of the year in a tax free zone. As it stood, it bumped me up to the next tax bracket.
Lol, best of both worlds there... One day I want to know how I can become one of those guys where everything like that works out, rather than being the guy who's always disappointed and being told the "win some lose some" bs...
Old 04-09-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Lol, best of both worlds there... One day I want to know how I can become one of those guys where everything like that works out, rather than being the guy who's always disappointed and being told the "win some lose some" bs...
Not really the best of both. If it had come one pay period later, while still taxable, I would have at least stayed in the low tax bracket since 2/3 of my income for the year would have been tax free.
Quote:
Old 04-09-2018, 3:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
While deployed my MSG reenlisted with a $150K bonus, and he knew how to time it perfectly to be all tax free.
Old 04-15-2018, 5:48 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikvette View Post
Back in 2008 when I was eligible to re-up, I was offered $60k, and an additional $25k to stay with my unit for 3 of those years. This was offered to me when I was outside CONUS so it would've all been tax free.

I declined.

When I got assigned for temporary duty, for the last 3-4 months I had left to serve, I heard my unit was going on a MEU to Okinawa. Sure enough, 1 month into deployment their orders changed and they had to go to Afghanistan.

I sometimes wonder if I'd even be here posting, they took a lot of KIA's.

RIP Darkhorse
I was in 3/5 from 05-11!!! What company were you in?
Old 04-15-2018, 5:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenewgun87 View Post
I was in 3/5 from 05-11!!! What company were you in?
Weapons Co, which later became Mobile Assault Company since 0331, 0341, 0351, and 0352 were all mixed together.

I was both an 0341 and 0621, originally assigned to 81's.
my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Full size. Stubbies are for sissies.
Old 04-15-2018, 6:31 PM
Veteran Member

Somehow that doesn’t seem like much. Back in ‘74 I could have gotten 11,000 to re-up for four years and I was a lowly E-4.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur
Old 04-15-2018, 7:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
lot a money for remf
Earned imho. Our troops deserve just compensation, front or rear echelon. When you think about all the $$$ we waste on illegals & welfare blisters, this is justified.

When I separated from active duty in '99, my career field had a critical manning shortage, yet they offered a Zero re-up bonus. Didn't matter, I was tired of the 150% ops tempo anyway.

~Pope John Paul II
Old 04-15-2018, 7:07 PM

Bonuses? They were giving us effing lawn chairs with our unit printed on the back.
Old 04-22-2018, 5:07 PM

$20k extra for 4 years is nothing. They could get a non military government job and make 4-5 times more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2018, 9:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStiCK View Post
Earned imho. Our troops deserve just compensation, front or rear echelon. When you think about all the $$$ we waste on illegals & welfare blisters, this is justified.

When I separated from active duty in '99, my career field had a critical manning shortage, yet they offered a Zero re-up bonus. Didn't matter, I was tired of the 150% ops tempo anyway.
I was offered some pittance like $1500 or $3000 in 1999. In mid 90's would get cute "threats" about how with Cold War ending and the drawdown if I wasn't like perfect evals and everything they probably were not going to let me reenlist.

I made up my mind fairly quickly didn't want to be a lifer or even try the reserves. I found it funny when a lifer got all offended and took it personal when I politely declined to at least join the reserves.