Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 05-06-2018, 2:11 AM

If it ain’t broke, fix it till it’s broken.

RIP SGT Mark Allen RLTW! I love you brother. ‘Til Valhall’...
Old 05-06-2018, 2:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrettM99 View Post
If it ain’t broke, fix it till it’s broken.
naw, this is
if it aint broke, fix it till you can charge more money for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
Im gonna take a guess that the aftermarket will be pumping out much cheaper mags soon
never gonna happen without substantial adoption of the shotgun first. if sales are minimal, it is not worth the effort to make mags for a shotgun few people own and use seriously.

burn the circus down cuz the world is full of clowns

Last edited by mossy; 05-06-2018 at 2:50 AM..
Old 05-08-2018, 6:49 AM

Not for serious use.
Back yard fun and something to show people.
I hope you enjoy every minute of it.
Old 05-11-2018, 9:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Was checking it out at Turners. I'd rather get a regular (or Magpul) 590A1, but definitely interesting.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

9mm + 5.56mm =
.45ACP + 7.62 NATO =
10mm + 6.8 SPC =

Et Verbum caro factum est et habitavit in nobis; Jn 1:14
Old 05-11-2018, 9:39 AM

I haven't shot it yet but I got a chance to throw some furniture on it. The mag clips pretty easily but it is honking huge and expensive (89.99 is the cheapest I've seen). Maybe they'll come out with a drum style magazine one day. Fully loaded, the weight is more centralized than a regular 590 so I'm curious to see what the muzzle flip and recoil is like.
Old 05-12-2018, 11:22 AM

I have a 590M (basic) going thru DROS at Turners. I'm also getting two extra 10-round mags from them (all there were in the local LA stores – both transferred - $80 each) and have two more on order from Lanbos Armory (https://lanbosarmory.com/index.php?m...ducts_id=43643), with $5 discount (https://gun.deals/content/lanbos-armory) and no tax, that's virtually zero diff in cost.

I saw the Rem and Mossberg models at SHOT but, for some reason thought mag-fed shotguns were illegal in CA, just passed on by wishing I could buy one. Then the Mossberg showed up in this week's Turners e-blast and I was headed to my local store. [Though Saigas were illegal because of the detachable mags...]

The mag goes in perfectly, rock solid. No more fumbling with one round at a time loading under stress and a super long mag tube. I'll probably be replacing the forearm with a Magpul and replacing (but keeping) the buttstock with a Hogue pistol grip (called and confirmed that their model includes the sling swivel shown in their pics but never mentioned in their spec).

Only interest now in finding some mag carrier options. Saw a video that said 2x308 mag carriers work but all of those is see have a separation piece down the middle. Anyone that finds a carrier, please PM me – preferable regarding one that will carry at least 2 10-round mags.
ELR - anything shorter is point blank.

Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA), Webmaster and Marketing Assistant
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 05-12-2018, 12:06 PM

Does the bolt hold open after the last round?

Get the Plinkr iOS App
Find any Gun Store/FFL
Find any Range in the USA.
Find firearms training too!
Curated Industry News
Gun Store Gunbroker, Armslist, gun.deals, Weapon Depot
Social Media Aggregator
Old 05-12-2018, 12:21 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR Researcher View Post
I saw the Rem and Mossberg models at SHOT but, for some reason thought mag-fed shotguns were illegal in CA, just passed on by wishing I could buy one. Then the Mossberg showed up in this week's Turners e-blast and I was headed to my local store. [Though Saigas were illegal because of the detachable mags...]
CA legal for a manually operated (bolt/lever/pump-action) shotgun to use detachable magazines.

CA illegal for a semi-auto shotgun to use detachable magazines. [PC 30515(a)(7)]

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 05-12-2018, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olav View Post
Does the bolt hold open after the last round?
No. It's a pump shotgun so you will need to manipulate the slide after the last shot. You have to count your rounds or find out you're empty when it goes click instead of bang just like a mag tube fed shotgun.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I have a 590M (basic) going thru DROS at Turners. I'm also getting two extra 10-round mags from them (all there were in the local LA stores – both transferred - $80 each) and have two more on order from Lanbos Armory (https://lanbosarmory.com/index.php?m...ducts_id=43643), with $5 discount (https://gun.deals/content/lanbos-armory) and no tax, that's virtually zero diff in cost.

The mag goes in perfectly, rock solid. No more fumbling with one round at a time loading under stress and a super long mag tube. I'll probably be replacing the forearm with a Magpul and replacing (but keeping) the buttstock with a Hogue pistol grip (called and confirmed that their model includes the sling swivel shown in their pics but never mentioned in their spec).

Only interest now in finding some mag carrier options. Saw a video that said 2x308 mag carriers work but all of those is see have a separation piece down the middle. Anyone that finds a carrier, please PM me – preferable regarding one that will carry at least 2 10-round mags.
Received my mail-order mags today and two 5-packs of A-Zoom dummy rounds. Loaded up one mag and wow that last round is a real challenge - the rim just wants to roll around the hull. Got it in but hoping there is a better way - in advance of Maglula coming out with a loader. Also wondering about the long term storage effect on the mags loaded up to the top - spring "damage", loss of efficiency? Obviously not having fully loaded mags immediately makes the shotgun less capable. BTW, the weight of one mag and ten 1 3/8 oz #4 rounds is 2# 6oz. [I've e-mailed Magula to see if a loader is on their agenda.]

www.unlimitedrange.org
Old 05-16-2018, 6:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXRifleManXx View Post
I'd like to shoot one, but no I don't want one.
And I love, love my worked in 590A1.
I like to be able to rack a pump properly and smoothly.
Buzz, your girl friend... woof woof!

I like the concept of a magazine fed shotgun, and if I was going that route it would mostly make sense to have one with around a ten round magazine, but for me, ehhhhh. For now I'll stick with shoot one load one.
Old 05-16-2018, 7:27 AM
Veteran Member

The trend started by the AR craze continues. Take on of the lightest shotguns available, throw a bunch of crap on it, and turn it into a boat anchor.

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.
Old 05-16-2018, 7:53 AM
I need a LIFE!!

One of these Mossbergs and an extra mag or two would get me most of the way towards a FN SLP... no thanks.
Old 05-16-2018, 9:32 AM

Kalifornia 10round mags are $80.00 + not including tax - On line sales seam to be much more. The bottom of the magazine looks to be interchangeable with other capacity pieces.
I would bet that Mossberg's cost the mags is darn close to $80.00.
The stock is too long for a medium fame man - Upgrade necessary for me.
The trigger sucks - Needs work.
Safety is good but a more user friendly one would be advisable.
Action is stiff - needs lapping and stoning.
Model #50206 - Ghost Ring Sight, removable Choke Tube and a worthless Heat Shield.

The magazine is double stack to relieve tension on the shotgun shells in a larger capacity magazine. That is why Remington"s are only single stack 6 round. I'm a Remington 870 guy but I bought a Mossberg - Well se how it goes.
Taco / High Speed Gear single stack magazine holder canvas works ok but I wouldn't go running around with that setup. I tried to make a kydex one but I wasn't successful. You would need a large vacuum press to be successful + using a mold.
I have a few projects going on so I won't be able to invest a lot of time in my 590M for a few weeks but I'll post after I have some time behind it.
I purchased this tool for gaming. After 3 years, almost bought a Benelli M2 but my thumbs are too week for efficient loading - Broken and dislocated a couple of times over the years so the mag fed seemed to be a viable option to the 870 I currently am using.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:53 AM

Anyone can make a single stack mag for it.

Read the Kelly Turnbull novels to see where California is and will go: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=kelly+tur..._2_15_ts-doa-p
Old 05-16-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGR View Post
In my situation, last year around this time my HD weapon was a decorative medieval sword.

A wise man once told me.... not everyone respects a gun, but EVERYONE respects a running chainsaw and a machete. So that sword probably wasn’t a half bad thing to have around. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2018, 12:35 AM

Hmm... now I'm wondering.

If the gas-system is deactivated on a Saiga shotgun, turning it into a straight-pull bolt action, wouldn't that be Commiefornia legal? I wonder if there is any conversion out there like that?

I wish Mossberg would make a version of their .410 shotgun that could use the Saiga 10 shot magazine!
Old 05-18-2018, 5:31 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsandrockets View Post
Hmm... now I'm wondering.

If the gas-system is deactivated on a Saiga shotgun, turning it into a straight-pull bolt action, wouldn't that be Commiefornia legal? I wonder if there is any conversion out there like that?
Need to remove the gas-piston and plug (disable) the gas block, in order for it to no longer be considered a semi-auto (it would be a straight pull bolt-action).

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 05-18-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Received my mail-order mags today and two 5-packs of A-Zoom dummy rounds. Loaded up one mag and wow that last round is a real challenge - the rim just wants to roll around the hull. Got it in but hoping there is a better way - in advance of Maglula coming out with a loader.
Follow-up:

1. Maglula responded, "We are working on other loaders and projects at this moment. We might do one in the future." [Given #2, below, I suspect not.]

2. I believe I have found my particular problem with 10th round loading, its the non-compressibility of the A-zooms. I contacted Mossberg and they said they had not heard of any 10th-round loading problems. They asked which ammo I had used...at which point I tried 2 of the mags with high-base Fiocchi Golden Pheasant rounds (1 3/8 oz of #4 shot) and they loaded with no problems. So I mic'd both the ammo and the A-zooms. All the A-zooms were smaller in ODs than the ammo. But the ammo bodies actually compresses (becomes slightly oblong in cross-section) - thus the stack is not quite as tall. Again, tried two mags with the live ammo and they loaded just fine. [Really great timing as I was literally five minutes away from starting to build a loader out of wood.]

www.unlimitedrange.org

Last edited by ELR Researcher; 05-18-2018 at 11:31 AM..
Old 05-18-2018, 5:07 PM
Veteran Member

I got to handle one of these in Las Vegas last Sunday. I liked the way the gun handled, and the mags go in and out very positively and lock in place well.

You can port load it with the Mag in,,, and you can also do it with the mag out,,, you just have to tip the gun upside down so the bolt will catch the round and shove it in the chamber. In this case the mag becomes the Cartridge Lifter, without the mag, gravity must be the lifter. It will be a problem without the mag.

It would be a good idea to go to a Tactical Shotgun Class and learn how to run the gun. That way you would understand how the Tactical Shotgun is used and how you must manage the ammo.

The whole idea of Port Loading a shotgun is to keep the gun running when you don't have time to stuff rounds in the mag.

You only "Tactical Reload" when time and cover permit.

In other words if someone is shooting at you you keep port loading until there is a lull in the action that will allow you to find cover and reload the magazine.

There is one very big drawback to this system. If your mag is full of bird shot or buck shot and you have a target at 50+ yards you need to deal with, you have no way to load a slug round into the gun without doing a mag change.

With the tube mag you just shove one in the mag and rack the fore end and you are in business.

In the Front Sight Shotgun class I went to Monday and Tuesday of this week we were taught virtually every way to manipulate these guns there is. I got pretty good, and a few more classes like this and I'll be really good. The guns are not hard to learn and once you get the gun fit to you it won't beat the snot out of you like mine did the first time thru.

After you shoot the gun in an intense situation you will be making changes to it so that it works better for you. This is all part of shooting shotguns and tactical shotguns are especially critical with regard to the fit for each individual. Once you get it right the gun will be a joy to shoot. Before it is right,,, expect a certain amount of pain.

The only problem I see with your gun as it is set up right now is the Pistol Grip. A Pistol Grip on a Mossberg makes operating the safety very difficult. You may want to get either a Magpul stock or put the one it came with back on.

Good luck with your new gun and we want to hear how it works out for you.

Randy
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com
Old 05-25-2018, 6:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

ONLY ONE LEFT

https://www.riflegear.com/p-9616-rem...lksyn-185.aspx