Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:45 AM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

BK, reread my post, please.
it is not slamming LE.
I have no expectation that LE can shoot a knife out of anyone's hand.
but I do expect them to be better at center mass shooting than I am.
why?
because they went to an academy to learn how to protect the public.
they have to do range time.
and I particularly respect female LE because I know it is triple hard for them in the first place.
no one is talking about any other shooting than "that awesome paper target shooting at the range" and, yes, at the range i would hope they would be better than me.
and sometimes just sometimes an observation is not a slam.....just saying.
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 10-13-2013, 10:51 AM

I have been calling faxing emailing and praying with all of these California bills. Now that that is over I'm still going to get that Virgo done for gun owners are normal people too kind of thing.

Since September I have taught 4 new shooters how to shoot, have 7 more lined up to try. They have all been men, but I'm working on women to go shoot and have fun as well.

Also I am trying to gear up for 3-gun ladies. So yea I've been busy. But a good busy.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
BK, reread my post, please.
it is not slamming LE.
I have no expectation that LE can shoot a knife out of anyone's hand.
but I do expect them to be better at center mass shooting than I am.
why?
because they went to an academy to learn how to protect the public.
they have to do range time.
and I particularly respect female LE because I know it is triple hard for them in the first place.
no one is talking about any other shooting than "that awesome paper target shooting at the range" and, yes, at the range i would hope they would be better than me.
and sometimes just sometimes an observation is not a slam.....just saying.

Please re-read my post. I made a general comment that " A lot of people seem to think that LEOs should be able to to shoot the knife out of someone's hand..." I did not say "Movie Zombie, why do you think that cops should be able to shoot knives out of people's hands."

Don't take it personally. I am addressing the three women on this thread who made comments - of them, you had the most general comment. It was becciboo and latinaincovina who decided to knock on specific LEOs. Becciboo said that she feels bad for the Sheriffs Deputies in her area and latinaincovina bagged on the CHP officer.

<shrug> I just feel irritated when I hear people making comments to put down LEOs, firefighters, military members and so on. I know I'm not going to win the popularity contest for calling people out on it. Oh well.

BK
Old 10-13-2013, 11:56 AM

I understand, BK, but unfortunately you used my quote within your response to "bagging" and therefore it seems addressed to me. however, you note that my comment seems more general than most and i take it now that while you quoted me you don't necessarily think i was bagging on that female CHP.

i wasn't.
but i do expect LE to be a better shot than me.
not bagging. just stating.
and i hope to god they are!
they put their life on the line everyday!
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 10-13-2013, 1:20 PM

wow it's like a rollerderby in here!
Old 10-13-2013, 1:45 PM

yeah, every family has "moments".
fortunately, it doesn't happen as often as it does in OT!
Quote:
Old 10-13-2013, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becciboo View Post
BadKitty you have the WORST atittude and are the reason I generally do not come onto the women's forum. You took my words out of context and I too resent being grouped into the whole "A lot of people assume" theory. I don't think anything of the sort about law enforcement and you have a habit of twisting what I say into your own misbeliefs about people and what they think. I purposefully ignored your comment because I've already had enough encounters with your attitude but this one I won't ignore. If you have a problem with me, do everyone a favor and just ignore me.

I am sorry that I have upset you. I certainly don't have a problem with you and do not see a need to block you. However, if you choose to ignore me, I suppose I would understand.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
i wonder how many of us don't fit in with typical female sterotypes?
seems to be a recurrent theme for most of us that participate here........
LOLOL so true
Old 10-14-2013, 8:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKitty View Post
I am sorry that I have upset you. I certainly don't have a problem with you and do not see a need to block you. However, if you choose to ignore me, I suppose I would understand.
grace under pressure, BK, is what I admire about you!

I did some thinking about becci's post and I will admit I was puzzled by it.....
we all speak our mind and sometimes we don't all agree but i'm glad we're all here.
Quote:
Old 10-15-2013, 2:27 PM

Location: Walnut, Diamond bar, W. Covina area ... sometimes I.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by becciboo View Post
Actually I think they should be better than me. Thats a low bar you know?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk now Free
Thanks to those people that accept that career for the right reasons and make a mission to help. But I must I Agree, I think that the marksmanship standard for Law Enforcement should be higher. My life could depend on it.
Old 10-16-2013, 8:21 AM
C3 Leader

Well, I think the fact that we're all gun owners on here speaks volumes The world is such a big place and with all the negative media attention we get because of tragic shootings done by mental cases, we, as a group, are wrongly blamed.

I'm glad that you're all busy at the range since life and its priorities often get in the way of our shooting time. I'm swamped at the office, trying to put food on the table, so I tried to squeeze helping teach a ladies' course at Coyote Point into my insane schedule.

It was fun, but crossing multiple bridges in the commute is tough... On the bright side, I keep plugging along with the CRPA and trying to get the word out about the continuous fight against stupid gun law bills. I believe the whole thing is to never give up. It's easy for some people to say, "I'm going to move out of state to a gun-friendly area."

However, I live here and have family here. I don't want politicians to win and drive me away from what I have a right to. Thank you for sticking together and continuing with your shooting

If you live in Solano County, please join us at:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/group.php?groupid=12

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Old 10-16-2013, 1:58 PM

Well, for whatever its worth, I'm still trying to 'do my bit', albeit on a small scale.

The 'San Jose outreach' which Tricia and I started, over four years ago, is still running, and has provided some basic 'familiarisation fire' for quite a few 'newbies', of which many, nearly half, were women.

About all we (and its not 'my' event these days, its been adopted as a Rifle Club project, so a number of experienced people help to provide basic instruction) can do, in the limited time/space available, is to introduce people to a variety of weapons, particularly a variety of types of handguns, so that they get some very basic 'hands-on' experience, and help them to feel comfortable at a live-fire range.

Its my own feeling that finding ways to provide a friendly and welcoming 'range ambiance' is one of the more important considerations, when trying to be helpful to women who are contemplating owning a handgun for self-defence.

We had one such person attend the event this last Saturday. She had made the decision to purchase a handgun, and had followed the 'advice' of a gun store clerk as to which one she should purchase.

She bought a 9MM Glock.

What neither she, nor the store clerk, had taken into consideration was that she was in her mid/late 50's, not really 'elderly', but of a relatively 'delicate' build, and had relatively limited hand/wrist strength as compared to that of many other people.

She had practiced dry-firing her Glock, and asked for instruction in firing it with live rounds. It consistently jammed when she was using it, altho it worked normally for several other people.

Observation showed that she did not have adequate hand/wrist strength to hold the Glock against recoil well enough for it to cycle reliably.

I had to explain to her that this was the reason why we offered familiarisation with a variety of handguns, so that people could find out, first-hand, what would suit their needs, physique, and 'comfort level'. In her case, she would have learned that the Glock wasn't suitable for her, before investing the $$ involved.

This was an obvious instance in which someone would have done better to start with a light .22 or .32, to develop proficiency. I brought her a revolver in 38spl, with light (very minimal noise/recoil) practice loads, which, after a bit of familiarisation, she could handle moderately well. After firing that one, and then doing some shooting with a .22 revolver, she was able to feel some confidence in herself, after having been quite demoralised with the Glock.

This is but one example of the work of the 'outreach' group.

I'd like to feel that we've done a bit of good, even tho on a small scale, and, hopefully, are 'setting a good example', in the hope that other folks will start up similar programmes in their areas.

cheers

Carla
Old 11-06-2013, 9:20 PM

I was a participant in a couple of these 2nd Saturday events, where I had the opportunity to try out first a couple 9mm handguns, then a .45, and then on subsequent Saturdays a 12 gauge shotgun, and some delightful little Winchester .22 rifles (and one not so little!).

After my share of using up some pretty old .22 ammo, I got an e-mail from a new friend, inviting me to come out and help at the next monthly outreach event. Expecting to find myself herding newbies or passing out targets, I agreed, and soon found myself with a modified badge and my own lane, coaching newbies. Wowie! This Saturday I am going back again, this time with my own little contribution to the cause: a scoped and modified match-style Ruger 10-22 for the "kiddos" to explore and hopefully enjoy.

BTW: Hiya, Carla. Took me long enough to sign up, huh?

I remember that poor lady. I do hope she found a suitable solution.