Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 07-06-2013, 8:03 AM
Banned

Default Flour still good after 3+ years

So you've read all the statistics about wheat berries lasting 25+ years and flour lasting six months. I bought a 50lb bag of flour that we are still eating our way through and its still good. I cannot remember when we bought it but it was at the start of our prepping which was over three years ago and probably closer to four. The flour is stored in an O-ring barrel bagged in a large mylar bag unsealed. No 0-2 eaters were in the barrel. Room temp swings from 50-80f.

Just a heads up that milled flour will last a long time if kept from circulating oxygen and light.
Old 07-06-2013, 8:21 AM

Whole wheat stores much longer than milled, hence buying a home mill, a bit pricy but it's an essential.

For large volume dry goods, I'd pick a storage option that allows for weekly/monthly usage - that sounds simple but speaking as a single guy, its a tough balancing act to buy "bulk".
After watching WTC Bldg #7 being razed, and considering it's main occupants..

I stumbled onto this note while checking advanced weapons..
"911 = false flag. WTC 7 was brought down by demolition. 47 floors came down in 6 1/2 seconds - not hit by a plane. Just one of hundreds of absurdities that occurred that day. Wake up".
Old 07-06-2013, 8:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkevin View Post
Whole wheat stores much longer than milled, hence buying a home mill, a bit pricy but it's an essential.

For large volume dry goods, I'd pick a storage option that allows for weekly/monthly usage - that sounds simple but speaking as a single guy, its a tough balancing act to buy "bulk".

Even with two people buying 200lbs of wheat/flour is daunting. I have given away more flour then I have eaten.
Old 07-06-2013, 8:51 AM

Quote:
Even with two people buying 200lbs of wheat/flour is daunting. I have given away more flour then I have eaten.
You are fortunate and kind, good to hear.
After watching WTC Bldg #7 being razed, and considering it's main occupants..

I stumbled onto this note while checking advanced weapons..
"911 = false flag. WTC 7 was brought down by demolition. 47 floors came down in 6 1/2 seconds - not hit by a plane. Just one of hundreds of absurdities that occurred that day. Wake up".
Old 07-06-2013, 10:43 PM

PC,
I have a small bag of flour (5lb?) i pull out every few months to make gravy. I have no idea how old it is, at least 2 to 3 years though. It's been stored in a standard ziplock in my pantry all this time.
Old 07-07-2013, 1:24 AM
Calguns Addict

If flour is stored properly (sealed in the dark, resonable temps), it can last several years---how many? I've lost count. I generally don't bake, but use flour to make a white sauce for mac and cheese, thicken soups, etc. so I don't use a lot of flour but still like to keep some on hand. I have never had any that "went bad"---if I don't see any bugs moving around in there, its probably OK.
Old 07-07-2013, 8:12 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, white flour can last a few years if it's kept free of O2 and light.
But whole wheat flour goes rancid much more quickly because of the oils in the wheat germ. I've never been able to keep it for even a year without it getting "that smell".
So if you like good whole wheat breads it's better to buy the berries and mill them as needed.

And whole wheat has some nutritional value.
Commercial white flour has been pretty much stripped of all it's goodness which is why it keeps so well. Styrofoam keeps well too...
Old 07-07-2013, 9:55 AM
Veteran Member

As to the wheat berries lasting 25+ years, I can attest to that. My brother has some 25 year old wheat that he's been making bread with lately. Very tasty!
Old 07-07-2013, 5:58 PM

I've started buying flower in #10 cans from LDS cannery. small enough to use regularly, suppose to be good for 10 years.

need to get a mill, but really in L.A. any emergency over 30 days we are in serious trouble
Old 07-08-2013, 10:29 AM
Calguns Addict

I also live in L.A.---they say after seven missed meals, the people will lose their minds and we'll all be in trouble...
Old 07-11-2013, 7:44 AM
Veteran Member

I know from a baking standpoint, aged flour is better to bake with that freshly milled flour.. something to do with moisture content I think.. It's been over 20 years since cooking school so I can't remember why.. just that it is..
Old 07-11-2013, 9:01 AM

Anytime you are storing dry goods, beans, rice, flour, it is a good idea to heat up the goods before you can or vac package. Moisture is your enemy.

Dry means dry, not cooked. We use our oven and set it at 150 degrees to get things completely dry. It increases shelf life dramatically. Pasta is a critical one to get dry before storing.
Old 07-11-2013, 9:37 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargenv View Post
I know from a baking standpoint, aged flour is better to bake with that freshly milled flour.. something to do with moisture content I think.. It's been over 20 years since cooking school so I can't remember why.. just that it is..
Yes, as flour ages it oxidizes which changes and strengthens the gluten structure. Breads made with aged flour tend to rise better than with "fresh" flour.
I've read that 2-4 weeks is a good length of time to age freshly milled flour depending on the temperature.
However aging (oxidizing) also changes and damages the flavor of fresh flour, and bread made with freshly milled unaged flour tastes better than with aged flour.

I never age my fresh milled flour. I almost always make bread within 24 hours of milling because it tastes so good that way and my loaves seem to have adequate gluten structure and rise just fine without aging.