Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Jobs Wanted Jobs Offered
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Jobs Wanted Jobs Offered Need a job, need a job filled? Help out a fellow Calgunner!

Old 04-07-2013, 9:50 AM

Default AK building services?

I have an Ak kit that needs to be built before some law comes around and bans them completely. I am looking for a gunsmith who does building services. I have a kit that needs to be installed on a flat (bending, riveting) and then have a bullet button installed. I want a gunsmith who is local but am willing to send it to an out of state gunsmith if anyone knows one. My current gunsmith is dragging his feet and has had it for over a year now and I'm getting impatient. I know things are busy right now but this is ridiculous. Any recommendations? PM me or post on here.

Last edited by .30-06; 04-07-2013 at 9:56 AM..
Old 04-07-2013, 10:12 AM

Where are you located.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:45 AM

Santa Clara County. I'm willing to ship if its far away.

Last edited by .30-06; 04-07-2013 at 10:47 AM..
Old 04-09-2013, 7:26 PM

ship to h.i.t. armory in upland ca. ask for Wayne are Tom 909-985-0600
Old 04-18-2013, 4:58 PM

Default Ak building

Why not pm nicoroshi and make an appointment with him.. You get to learn how to build it yourself.. Also he is good company and a master ak builder...
Old 04-18-2013, 6:40 PM
Calguns Addict

You do realize that what you are asking for is considered Manufacturing, not for personal use and is subject to all of the tax and laws with regards to such. You need more than just an FFL, you need to pay the federal tax on the manufactured firearm as well as serialize it.

Which is why we build our own.
...but their exists also in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to attempt to lower the powerful to their own level, and reduces men to prefer equality in slavery to inequality with freedom.
Old 05-04-2013, 9:07 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

There isn't a gunsmith out there who will build on your flat period. If you want to build on a flat, you have to manufactre the receiver yourself. Now if you bought a nodak spud or any other 100% receiver, now they might take the job.
It's a liability issue.
If you need help I can help you out, but using a flat, you have to do a majority of the receiver work.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 06-25-2013, 7:06 PM

you can have someone bend the flat,heat treat the flat and rail,but you have to install the rails yourself,not too hard with rail jigs,all the jigs you need you can buy online,ak-builders is a good place to start.
http://ak-builder.com/index.php?disp...ategory_id=169
sometimes you can find people who will rent or sell these tools.
They also sell polish pre bent 80% recievers,thou you can find them cheaper elsewhere,I think copes dist still has them and they could use our support,also maybe sportsmans guide

Last edited by Pumkinking; 06-25-2013 at 7:14 PM..
Old 06-25-2013, 7:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumkinking View Post
you can have someone bend the flat,heat treat the flat and rail,but you have to install the rails yourself,not too hard with rail jigs,all the jigs you need you can buy online,ak-builders is a good place to start.
http://ak-builder.com/index.php?disp...ategory_id=169
sometimes you can find people who will rent or sell these tools.
They also sell polish pre bent 80% recievers,thou you can find them cheaper elsewhere,I think copes dist still has them and they could use our support,also maybe sportsmans guide
Don't spread information that is not true. You can not have somebody else bend your flat for you, heat treat it, and just install the rails.
Old 06-25-2013, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSOG View Post
Don't spread information that is not true. You can not have somebody else bend your flat for you, heat treat it, and just install the rails.
you need to educate yourself,someone else can bend it for you and heat treat it.YOU would have to install YOUR OWN rails,drill your own holes etc.
What I said was spot on and legal.

If it was not,why is it you can buy this and its still a 80% receiver?
http://www.copesdistributing.com/pol...39-p-5417.html

I re-read what you said...you didnt read what I said correctly and shot from the hip half cocked huh

Last edited by Pumkinking; 06-25-2013 at 9:21 PM..
Old 06-25-2013, 9:41 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
you need to educate yourself,someone else can bend it for you and heat treat it.YOU would have to install YOUR OWN rails,drill your own holes etc.

I re-read what you said...you didnt read what I said correctly and shot from the hip half cocked huh
that may be true if you had a flat that had no holes drilled in it. but the ak-builder and tapco flats already have the "legal" holes drilled in it. the moment you bend it, it becomes a legal receiver. you still have to drill the trunnion holes on some flats, but those holes don't determine if it is a receiver.

those polish pre-bent 80% receivers dont' start off the same way the common "flats" do. AFAIK, nobody sells the flat used to make those receivers, so that is basically a false argument.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
that may be true if you had a flat that had no holes drilled in it. but the ak-builder and tapco flats already have the "legal" holes drilled in it. the moment you bend it, it becomes a legal receiver. you still have to drill the trunnion holes on some flats, but those holes don't determine if it is a receiver.

those polish pre-bent 80% receivers dont' start off the same way the common "flats" do. AFAIK, nobody sells the flat used to make those receivers, so that is basically a false argument.
The last receiver flats I bought around 10 years ago had no holes.
And you still need the rails installed to be a receiver.
edit:I dont remember what country they were from,but I do remember Tapco sold them,back when they used to sell cool stuff.
also,are the holes in the new flat drilled to diameter or pre drill pilot hole?

Last edited by Pumkinking; 06-25-2013 at 10:17 PM..
Old 06-25-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't necessarily refer to 10-year old flats used to be sold to what is the "current standard". heck, 10 years ago, we used to have to roll our own top rail and then trim it to shape

and they do offer those pre-bent 80%'ers with the rails already welded in. unless you can prove that ATF now says that rails can't be pre-installed, my guess would be that they dont' install the rails since there is some tolerances in the rail placement depending on the front trunnion. I'd hate to have the rails pre-installed and then have the bolt smash into the trunnion because the rails were welded in too high.

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
ak-builder leaves the undersized so you can ream to final dimension, especially since the trigger holes are so close to the bend. if the hole was final dimension and then you bent it, the hole would be distorted.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
edit:I dont remember what country they were from,but I do remember Tapco sold them,back when they used to sell cool stuff.
you do know that a "pre drilled pilot hole" is also not legal right ? see KT ord bust of many many years ago and why he does not do it any more .. the flats of now are as far as you can go without being a manufacturer once bent they are deemed a firearm by the ATF ...
Old 06-25-2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers View Post
you do know that a "pre drilled pilot hole" is also not legal right ?
it is on an AK-flat.

pumkin is bringing up uncommon pre-bent 80% AK recievers and the flats that apparently are available without any holes at all. I guess if you had one of those flats it would be legal to have someone else bend it for you so that it looked like one of those pre-bent 80%'s. Why you'd want to do that, I dunno?

Old 06-25-2013, 10:51 PM

Build it yourself stop being lazy you can have it together in a day
Old 06-25-2013, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
it is on an AK-flat.

pumkin is bringing up uncommon pre-bent 80% AK recievers and the flats that apparently are available without any holes at all. I guess if you had one of those flats it would be legal to have someone else bend it for you so that it looked like one of those pre-bent 80%'s. Why you'd want to do that, I dunno?
i understand that its a AK , but ATF made it clear that a "spot hole" is not "ok" on a AR and fairly sure they would say the same if something like the polish prebents came with a "spot holes" , so bending a flat with them is still a no no by anyone other than the builder or a manufacturer
Old 06-26-2013, 6:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers View Post
i understand that its a AK , but ATF made it clear that a "spot hole" is not "ok" on a AR and fairly sure they would say the same if something like the polish prebents came with a "spot holes" , so bending a flat with them is still a no no by anyone other than the builder or a manufacturer
right, spot holes would be an issue on a prebent AK, but it is not an issue on an unbent flat. ak-builder flats can and do have all the holes spotted and that is legal. but if you found a flat that had no holes at all, I don't see where bending it would be an issue since in the end you'd just have the same thing as a polish prebent. my point was that I don't know of anybody currently offer such an undrilled flat, and even if they did, what would be the reason for using such a flat, since it probably wouldn't have the X and Y stampings, which is one of the main reasons to use a polish prebent.

Old 06-26-2013, 6:28 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

I read exactly what you said. The 80% shell you provided a link to is not a flat. Show me a readily available flat that when bent would not meet the definition of a firearm