Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 05-28-2019, 3:14 PM
Signal Out of Banned
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfulJoker View Post
Here is a current civil case to keep an eye on. Homeowner was cleared of charges , but meth head burglars mother is filing civil case. Pays to have CCW insurance even if you don’t carry. https://www.10news.com/news/familyof...-sues-carowner
The apple apparently didn't fall far from the scumbag tree.

Here's the San Diego County court website, from where you can pull the case files:

https://roa.sdcourt.ca.gov/roa/

The case is 37-2018-00014301.

I don't care to spend $15 to read the complaint and answer. I don't practice in State court so I have no idea what's next in terms of the lawsuit, but for whatever it's worth, there was a case management conference last month.

Gavin Newsom is a lying, cheating slickster and will be is the worst mistake California has ever made if he gets now that he has been elected Governor. Hollywood movie producers look to him and his oleaginous persona as a model for the corrupt "bad guy" politician character. This guy is so greasy, he could lubricate an entire arsenal of AR-15s just by breathing on them.

Last edited by SamsDX; 05-28-2019 at 3:30 PM..
Old 05-28-2019, 3:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by code_blue View Post
Sometimes, especially due to the limited available of pistols via CA Roster, some people have no choice but to modify so they can effectively utilize the firearm.

You're better off focusing on what constitutes legal and justifiable deployment of lethal force over whether or not to modify a firearm. Some people still believe that warning shots, brandishing, shooting the leg/hand, or that someone entering your home alone makes it justified. They're wrong.
771 handguns are currently listed on the roster which includes 34 Glocks that need no modification at all.
Old 05-28-2019, 4:00 PM
Signal Out of Banned
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Carson View Post
771 handguns are currently listed on the roster which includes 34 Glocks that need no modification at all.
I get the point you're making here is that there are "enough" choices, but I think the real number is closer to 528 total, and 19 unique Glock models. The number of guns that are available for purchase on demand at any given local gun store is still lower than that. When was the last time you saw even a Glock 19 Compensated on the shelf at your local store? I also wouldn't consider a choice of different calibers within the same general footprint a choice at all, e.g., 19/23/30, or 17/20/21/22, especially when they have the same operating mechanism. To OP's point, none of the Glocks fit me particularly well, so without the Gen 4/5 interchangeable backstraps, my only choice would be a frame size reduction (which is also a no-no).

To add further to the retardation that is the not-unsafe handgun roster, a gun that has the identical operating/safety mechanisms, the identical caliber (9mm), the same profile (subcompact) but a different thickness, e.g., the Glock 43, it can't be on the roster, even though it'd be a perfect CCW weapon.

Gavin Newsom is a lying, cheating slickster and will be is the worst mistake California has ever made if he gets now that he has been elected Governor. Hollywood movie producers look to him and his oleaginous persona as a model for the corrupt "bad guy" politician character. This guy is so greasy, he could lubricate an entire arsenal of AR-15s just by breathing on them.
Old 05-28-2019, 5:34 PM

Not that there is any logic is most gun laws....

How would this be any different than a low end Springfield 1911. Vs a more expensive Springfield 1911 with a match grade trigger?

Also, does this apply to home defense or only ccw outside of the home? why?
Old 06-02-2019, 4:40 AM

Because the caliber is specified on the permit, I assume that a conversion barrel swap to a different caliber would be an Illegal carry violation. What about the DOJ roster for a trigger or other mod on a CA compliant gun? Might not be a permit violation but could they penalize you for creating an "unsafe" handgun?
Old 06-02-2019, 5:21 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Carson View Post
None of the newer and more safe firearms or the improved versions of those on the roster (e.g. Glocks) are on the roster.

Also, not everyone can shoot the "34 Glocks" on the roster even if they were so inclined. For me the Glock 19,17,34 do not fit my hand. As a lefty most are not even an option.
Old 06-02-2019, 11:08 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewok55 View Post
Because the caliber is specified on the permit, I assume that a conversion barrel swap to a different caliber would be an Illegal carry violation. What about the DOJ roster for a trigger or other mod on a CA compliant gun? Might not be a permit violation but could they penalize you for creating an "unsafe" handgun?
(emphasis added)

Not sure what you're asking here. Who is "they" and what does "penalize" you mean?

It is perfectly legal - and common - to customize one's guns in a whole bunch of ways, including trigger mods, etc.

The roster of "not unsafe" handguns applies only to certain transactions through a CA FFL - the most prominent around here being buying a new handgun from a dealer. The roster does not in any way limit one's ability to make modifications to a lawfully possessed firearm. Nor does it prevent the sale of an off-roster firearm between private individuals, even though such transactions must be facilitated through a CA FFL.

I am not your lawyer. I am not providing legal advice. I am commenting on an internet forum. Should you need or want legal advice, please consult an attorney.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewok55 View Post
...What about the DOJ roster for a trigger or other mod on a CA compliant gun? Might not be a permit violation but could they penalize you for creating an "unsafe" handgun?
DOJ roster is just there for DROS purposes. What you do after is up to you. All Infinity competition firearms start as a regular .45 ACP and then people send it back to factory for "customization". What you get back looks like nothing what you originally DROSsed.
Old 06-02-2019, 8:52 PM
Veteran Member

d. Even if it’s struck down , that process can cost 10k in lawyers fees.

I feel there is no siginifanct advantage, if any with trigger modifications in a defensive use pistol. You can say folks will vary on their skill level and how they shoot under duress and heavy breathing.

Do cops and military use race guns to work with? No...not really.

I see no good reasons to spend more money in lawyer billable hours/my and my families Angst to have to answer more questions on what was done to a pistol and why.

I carry a g19 with glock factory night sites. Woop deedoo. It bangs as needed.

Ruger Mk lll 22/45 .22lr $375 , Uberti SAA .357 $290 for sale
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1483671
Old 06-03-2019, 3:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerB View Post
Do cops and military use race guns to work with? No...not really.

I see no good reasons to spend more money in lawyer billable hours/my and my families Angst to have to answer more questions on what was done to a pistol and why....
First there is a whole lot of range between stock factory pistols and race guns. Also, race guns are not really that practical for CCW.

As mentioned by multiple people in this thread what was done to the gun is irrelevant if the shooting is a good shoot, so there would not be more money spent on lawyer hours justifying any gun modifications. You would not even go on a trial.
Old 06-03-2019, 3:54 AM

I am now buying stock guns in my preparation to moving to this silly state. I check the roster prior to any handgun purchase to make sure it is not on the list. More and more manufacturers are offering guns with night sights and great triggers out of the box. For example, my SIG P320 45 Compact needs no mods other than 20 more 9 round mags. Contrast that with the STI Staccato C. It’s a $1500 gun with a $5 fiber optic front sight. That’ll have to change since STI decided to cut costs with these terrible sights.

Last edited by tomrkba; 06-03-2019 at 3:56 AM..
Old 06-03-2019, 5:56 AM
Veteran Member

Civil suit
Old 06-03-2019, 11:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerB View Post
Civil suit
Irrelevant if the shooting was an intentional use of deadly force in self-defense. Only relevant if the cause of action alleges negligence.