Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 06-26-2016, 1:06 PM

Any quick tips on howbto avoid commissions when buying coins? Do they negotiate? Ive been seeing $1-3 per coin above spot. Thats ridiculous. Your talking 20% commission fees? Absurd...
Old 06-26-2016, 4:14 PM
Banned

Gold climbs another $20 an oz. in first hour of trading.

$1,336

What will stop the climb? Nothing

Today I grin and remind you, that RE and stawks ain't gonna be worth a plug nickel soon.
Old 06-29-2016, 8:50 AM

Silver @ 18.45.

Stacking and packing in Central Texas!
Old 06-29-2016, 11:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by troysland View Post
Silver @ 18.45.

I'd love to see it hit $30 and this time I will dump the Silverware and buy more Gold !
Old 06-29-2016, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not a Cook View Post
In the interest of "breaking the logjam" , let me throw this out there:

Japan and part of the EU has now gone NIRP. Some (perhaps "many"?) expect the U.S. to go NIRP sometime in the not-too-distant-future. It appears likely that Deutsche Bank may blow up/meltdown in some manner (and is note-worthily reported to be holding the most derivatives out of any of the TBTF banks). And... lots more negative economic indicators abound, but the average American doesn't seem to have noticed any of them yet.

Anyone care to make any short-term, medium-term, or long-term guesses / prognostications regarding where PM prices are heading? Do you think it's a good time to buy? Or a "wait and it'll drop lower" sort-of-time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenkeen View Post
Why do you think, "It appears likely that Deutsche Bank may blow up/meltdown in some manner."?

I would like to hear your reasoning behind this statement.
Quote:
I'll qualify this with "I'm not a stock analyst nor a financial adviser (and I'm definitely not a guru of any kind), so PLEASE don't make financial decisions based on ANYTHING I write."

That said, it's no secret that Deutsche isn't doing well. Last quarter (IIRC) they had to scrap their dividend entirely and ended up losing something like 9B euros in the same quarter. Also, didn't they fail some "bank stress tests" (that are supposedly REALLY hard to fail) this last year? IIRC, they also have significant Greek exposure and were subject to a credit rating reduction over this last year or so. AND didn't they have to raise some significant capital through offerings more than once in the last couple years (which leads me to think they'll have trouble floating another offering in the current markets in order to raise any significant amount of liquidity)? There's also the alleged "corporate culture problems" that have been floating around for a while (ref. http://zerohedge.blogspot.com/2009/0...n-of-risk.html) and I find it unlikely that management has reigned itself in since the 2008 debacle. Then there's the "common sense" approach/factor that any bank operating in a NIRP environment that is applied to consumer deposits is likely to LOSE significant amounts of liquidity through cash withdrawals.

Of course, those are just based upon what I can remember, and my memory is imperfect. I personally suspect that Deutsche Bank hasn't been "healthy" for quite some time. I know many folks here aren't fond of ZeroHedge, but check out some recent articles regarding Deutsche for more information and speculation: http://www.zerohedge.com/category/tags/deutsche-bank. This article appears especially disturbing: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-0...-its-own-words

All that said, I HOPE that I'm totally wrong about this and Deutsche is either doing well or gets bailed out silently and at no cost to Americans. Deutsche Bank is WAY too heavy into derivatives... I wouldn't even want to guess which other banks and financial firms would be hurt/brought down by any significant blow-up at Deutsche.

I do suspect that we're in for a bit of a wild financial ride ahead (if something happens with Deutsche Bank I would view it more as a symptom than a cause of a larger financial crisis), BUT I HOPE I'm wrong about that and that the economy as a whole improves.

In either case, I'd love to learn some "inside info" as to when any upcoming "good deals" on physical PMs might be offered. I can't see any reason not to purchase some (other than the fact that they aren't cheap ). I'd just like to get the most PMs for my FRNs.
A little off-topic, but here's a brief update on Deutsche Bank. Now it seems that even the IMF is wary of Deutsche Bank!

Y'all might find this ZH article entitled, "'Deutsche Bank Poses The Greatest Risk To The Global Financial System': IMF" interesting: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-0...nancial-system

Two words come to mind: "powder keg".

Regarding Life and Death:
"Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell." Matthew 10:28

The BIG question: "What shall I do then with Jesus which is called Christ?" Matthew 27:22b
Old 06-30-2016, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenkeen View Post
They aren't leaving the EU.

Hmm. Your prediction was so unequivocal that it makes it even more entertaining. Obama used to be my benchmark on betting against propositions. What team is your stone cold lock to go to the Superbowl next year?

Last edited by Hugga Nugga; 06-30-2016 at 11:29 PM..
Old 07-01-2016, 5:28 AM
Calguns Addict

I saved (actually made) money in PMs, if I had to sell all AG (even generic for -$1.75 under spot/OZT) right now... although up about 41-45% on coins and certain collector rounds (and Engelhard), per eBay prices where people have "sold" for, which I am not including in this.

Granted, in my IRA I made more, but the stock market has flopped at least 3 times, losing me more money than I was up-over all, but we shall see what happens in the near future... as PMs are coming up quicker.

Last edited by the86d; 07-01-2016 at 5:48 AM..
Old 07-01-2016, 5:42 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugga Nugga View Post
Hmm. Your prediction was so unequivocal that it makes it even more entertaining. Obama used to be my benchmark on betting against propositions. What team is your stone cold lock to go to the Superbowl next year?
Let me know when they actually exit the EU...until then I will stick by my "prediction" just for you.

Last edited by keenkeen; 07-01-2016 at 5:46 AM..
Old 07-01-2016, 6:55 AM
Banned

One of these days !

Silver $ 19.45
Gold $ 1,340

Old 07-01-2016, 7:15 AM
Banned

For years we've been hearing buy ammo, buy guns they will hold their value and make money. Well I never bought an AR and now they are illegal in Cali. Their price will plummet as people dump them or remove them out of state where they are cheap. Bad investment boys and girls, bad bad. On the other hand, a month ago I purchased some AR's in the form of Gold AR (Actually Real) and they not only went out of state, they went to the MOON !

Dump the AR's and get a tall stack ! Your pile is worthless.....
Old 07-01-2016, 8:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troysland View Post
Silver @ 18.45.

That was a mere 2 days ago we are up another dollar.

Silver is at $19.50 now. The silver short are getting killed and there were massive, record shorts on gold and silver for Brexit.

There is a huge short squeeze going on now.
Old 07-03-2016, 8:32 AM

Anyone think gold will go back down to $1100 a oz any time soon ?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2016, 5:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beroen View Post

-Sheriff Bud Boomer-
Old 07-03-2016, 5:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beroen View Post

Well probably be $1,400 next week, yes it's written in the cards already.

If you haven't noticed, banks ain't doing so well and bullion banks?
They're short more than a mini skirt in the 70's.....

Nothing but Net.

Hand over Fist !!!
Old 07-03-2016, 7:34 PM

Hi Ho Silver, away!
Yeah, Zero Hedge had it so wrong....
$21.02 an oz silver. See attachment.
Silver short are getting murdered, largest metals short position on Gold and Silver going into Brexit.
Attached Images
File Type: gif t24_ag_en_usoz_2.gif (1.7 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by bv141; 07-03-2016 at 7:38 PM..
Old 07-03-2016, 8:10 PM
Banned

Nothing matters anymore but the Shanghai Gold Exchange Fix which was $1,354 tonight. They are the only ones who can deal in physical for the globe. London is done. Their manipulation is over except the paper losses they incur, which causes major printing of global fiat, which cause inflation, which pushes Gold and Silver even higher.

It's the only game in town now boys and girls...get you some, a fist full !
Old 07-03-2016, 8:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
Its 4:15p EST. U.S. Markets close at 4:00p EST

Gold - $1335/oz
Silver - $22.70/oz
One day after this thread started, we are now higher @ $1,354 China Fix

Funny we came full circle and some of us were total fanboys saying

Buy Buy Buy

We're going to the Moon now Alice !
Old 07-03-2016, 8:44 PM
Manufacturer/Vendor
CGN Contributor

I was talking to the owner at my local pawn shop that I like to check out (I don't buy there unless 100pz bars because otherwise premium just too high.) and he told me that the people coming trying to buy silver and gold is proportional to the price.

And people are starting to come in like crazy now buying.
Old 07-04-2016, 5:12 AM
Calguns Addict

I knew I couldn't lose, buying AG at ~$13.80 and AU @ $1050.xy, @ 6-year lows...
As of right now:
~$20.40 AG
~$1351.50 AU
Looks like my "savings account" is happy on ROI for the long-term, as it all bounced back up and continues after a VERY QUICK dead-cat-bounce...

Winter is Coming.

Last edited by the86d; 07-04-2016 at 5:26 AM..
Old 07-04-2016, 6:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

There is no ROI unless you sell it or use it. Nada.
Old 07-04-2016, 6:46 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

U have not watched silver few weeks ago I was selling for spot plus a buck for eagles and libery standing indian head. Glad I did not sell. up 130 bucks from then.
Old 07-06-2016, 6:33 PM

Just came across a couple YouTube videos that I thought I'd throw out there. I'm sure some of you will love them and some of you will hate them.

"Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell." Matthew 10:28

The BIG question: "What shall I do then with Jesus which is called Christ?" Matthew 27:22b
Old 07-07-2016, 3:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixoclockhold View Post
For years we've been hearing buy ammo, buy guns they will hold their value and make money. Well I never bought an AR and now they are illegal in Cali. Their price will plummet as people dump them or remove them out of state where they are cheap. Bad investment boys and girls, bad bad. On the other hand, a month ago I purchased some AR's in the form of Gold AR (Actually Real) and they not only went out of state, they went to the MOON !

Dump the AR's and get a tall stack ! Your pile is worthless.....
6, you know that ARs aren't illegal now in CA, right?

If you visit the CA 2A thread you'll see that they will continue to be sold in CA past the new year (when the new laws go into effect). Only with slight modifications (reversible if you move out of state).
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 07-07-2016, 4:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligaran View Post
6, you know that ARs aren't illegal now in CA, right?

If you visit the CA 2A thread you'll see that they will continue to be sold in CA past the new year (when the new laws go into effect). Only with slight modifications (reversible if you move out of state).
You mean install one of these? Take apart your rifle to replace the mag?

Register and pay a fee for an Assault Weapon? Think I'll stick with Gold/Silver as an investment.

Old 07-07-2016, 4:49 PM

Quote:

Register and pay a fee for an Assault Weapon? Think I'll stick with Gold/Silver as an investment.

Or you could simply go "featureless".

Old 07-07-2016, 4:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Actually that video is ONE option to avoid registration (and the fee) while keeping your firearms in the state.

Another other option is to go featureless which is what most seem to be doing.

I'm not arguing which is a better investment.

Just that your statement was demonstrably false and making sure you were aware that ARs are not 'illegal' and there's no reason for CA residents to 'remove them out of state'.

Simply correcting the FUD/incorrect info as per compliance with the unofficial Calguns forum etiquette.
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 07-07-2016, 5:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligaran View Post
Actually that video is ONE option to avoid registration (and the fee) while keeping your firearms in the state.

Another other option is to go featureless which is what most seem to be doing.

I'm not arguing which is a better investment.

Just that your statement was demonstrably false and making sure you were aware that ARs are not 'illegal' and there's no reason for CA residents to 'remove them out of state'.

Simply correcting the FUD/incorrect info as per compliance with the unofficial Calguns forum etiquette.
Oh but AR's are illegal come the 1st of the year. You're paying good money to make your weapon something other than an AR. It's a striped down semi auto rifle. Ding...lost value.

Go to a state like Arizona and buy a real AR and big Maggies that pop right out.

You're fighting a losing battle and don't even know it. Take another pill.

Next you'll call a clip a mag.
Old 07-07-2016, 5:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Or you could simply go "featureless".
Featureless is not an AR, not sure what the hell it is but it ain't an AR.

Take that Featureless rifle to another state and say, "wanna buy my AR?"

Gold just gleams the shinny.....
Old 07-07-2016, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Featureless is not an AR, not sure what the hell it is but it ain't an AR.

Take that Featureless rifle to another state and say, "wanna buy my AR?"
I'm just going off the top-of-my-head, but if you were comparing the original Colt AR-15 (made under license from Armalite) to a typical "featureless" AR-15 today wouldn't the only difference be that the "featureless" is missing the pistol grip? (Well, okay, the "featureless" would likely also have some improvements over the old slab-side Colt.)
Quote:
Gold just gleams the shinny.....
What does that mean? What's a "shinny"?

In the meantime, sixoclockhold, what're your latest gold and silver price guesses?

Old 07-07-2016, 6:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm just going off the top-of-my-head, but if you were comparing the original Colt AR-15 (made under license from Armalite) to a typical "featureless" AR-15 today wouldn't the only difference be that the "featureless" is missing the pistol grip? (Well, okay, the "featureless" would likely also have some improvements over the old slab-side Colt.)

What does that mean? What's a "shinny"?

In the meantime, sixoclockhold, what're your latest gold and silver price guesses?
Sounds like you can't afford a Hellcat and settled for the SRT 392?

Think Hockey Stick
Old 07-08-2016, 3:58 PM

where's the best place to buy/sell gold/silver in los angeles?
Old 07-09-2016, 5:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter777 View Post
The place with the lowest premium... I assume.

Try Pawn shops, a few of them, as 2 of my local shops don't even sell it, they only buy so they can pass on "real money" to their heirs... if that tells you how late to the party many are.
When they have stock, I pay about $1-$1.50 over spot for 1OZT Eagles, Maples, or Rounds, it does not matter AG is AG, even to them.

Most Coin Gold/Silver shops carry AG and AU, IF people are selling, but not a LOT were when AG was $13.80/ozt

Last edited by the86d; 07-09-2016 at 6:02 AM..
Old 07-09-2016, 7:22 AM
Veteran Member

I have a buddy here in town who puts adds on Craig's list and pays spot. Cheaper then buying from dealers. He gets more replies then he can afford.

I am hoping gold keeps climbing so I can sell the majority of what I have left. Getting ready to buy another house out of state and want to put 40-50% down. Last time I bought gold it was around $900 an oz so if it reaches $1500 an oz I would be a seller.

What do hear ???...... Nothing but the rain. Well grab your gun and bring in the cat.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
It makes it bigger and longer.
Old 07-09-2016, 8:21 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Commission

I complained about the $1.25 mark up on silver coins when it was at $5 an ounce back in the 90's. I got so mad that I couldn't get them for less even with 20+ coin orders that I quit buying. Yeah lucky me 😞

Quote:
Originally Posted by save2Acali View Post
Any quick tips on howbto avoid commissions when buying coins? Do they negotiate? Ive been seeing $1-3 per coin above spot. Thats ridiculous. Your talking 20% commission fees? Absurd...
Old 07-09-2016, 9:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

$1060 last summer. Anyone miss that opprotunity? Gold is up 29% since January.

For fun, go back to the first pages to read all the doom and gloom, it's amusing.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter777 View Post
There are quite a number of coin shops in L.A., so it's hard to say. Here's one that usually comes highly recommended by folks: California Numismatic Investments (www.golddealer.com).

Old 07-09-2016, 11:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
There are quite a number of coin shops in L.A., so it's hard to say. Here's one that usually comes highly recommended by folks: California Numismatic Investments (www.golddealer.com).
10 days or so since last vig increase. Now it will cost you +$51 over spot to acquire an ounce of GOLD !

They pay an extra buck too, +$15 over spot when you sell.

The action is heating up...
Old 07-11-2016, 6:41 AM
Veteran Member

Barron's says silver will out shine gold.

http://www.barrons.com/articles/silv...old-1468037290

Just ask yourselves this, do you honestly see gold hitting $2700 per oz before silver hits $40 per oz? Yeah I think silver is more likely to double in value than gold. That's why I traded most of my gold for silver.

-Sheriff Bud Boomer-
Old 07-11-2016, 7:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by POINTMANDDT View Post
Barron's says silver will out shine gold.

http://www.barrons.com/articles/silv...old-1468037290

Just ask yourselves this, do you honestly see gold hitting $2700 per oz before silver hits $40 per oz? Yeah I think silver is more likely to double in value than gold. That's why I traded most of my gold for silver.
Not waiting for a GSR of 30-45?
Old 07-11-2016, 9:13 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Not waiting for a GSR of 30-45?
Yes I can't wait for that

-Sheriff Bud Boomer-