Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 12-16-2017, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Actually, I do sometimes buy things from people (that haven’t all ready been tampered with) when they decide a project is beyond their desire to complete. But you would most likely want to sell it for more than I paid for mine brand new.
Of course I was just being facetious in response to your inane comment.

Quote:
You appear to be quite new to gunsmithing
Perhaps; although not nearly as new and generally uninformed as you seem to be.

Quote:
...and failed to wait until you knew more about the new product offering before you committed to letting go of your cash and that's regrettable.
Unfortunately however I'm not a clairvoyant, so the only way I can learn about the flaws of a particular product is if someone who already has one (and recognizes the issues himself) somehow communicates it to me. Otherwise I have to buy it and depend on the manufacturer's good faith to remediate any latent problems inherent to the product.

But while we're on the subject, what's your excuse? I started this thread on the locking block issue 60+ days ago. Yet despite having the information readily available to you (something I didn't have), you nevertheless went out and bought a PF940V2 without any idea how to handle the problem yourself? And then you criticize me?

Quote:
If you think that 80% projects and gun parts in general are always going to be a drop-in fit, then I have some really bad news for you. Perhaps you should take up another hobby?
LOL! Well look who's talkin! My frame and locking block were in the same condition as yours. From past dealings with Polymer 80, I knew I'd most likely have to fix it myself, so I simply milled the locking block width down to what it should've been in the first place and then installed it. I was able to do this because I have machine tools and experience that you apparently don't have.

Quote:
OR better yet – put out a superior product of your own design and capitalize on everyone else’ inability to match it.
After having this discussion with you, I'd probably be tempted to produce junk, sell it at the highest possible price, hide behind an irrelevant legal technicality, and have people like you make excuses for me.

Quote:
Apparently you had good results with another configuration of a similar product and relied on that knowledge to make a hasty decision in dropping your cash.
Well of course; why wouldn't I?

Quote:
Now that you know the issues with the new product offering you want your money back.
Well of course; why wouldn't I?

Quote:
But what’s going on here is that you want to attack ME because I am thoroughly satisfied with the support I’m receiving from Polymer80.
No, I don't "want to attack [you]"; rather, I vehemently disagree with your unjustifiably generous characterization of Polymer 80 and I challenged it; that's all.

Quote:
Make no mistake, I fully support your right to voice your problems and displeasure with Polymer80 and the V2 product, and you have done that thoroughly and repeatedly. What I don’t appreciate is having someone stalk each of my posts repeatedly voicing redundant complaints.
My statements on the subject are in reply to yours and are therefore no more "redundant" than yours. I'm sorry if I've offended your gentle sensibilities, but you keep repeating yourself and praising them up to high heaven; even after they sent you defective parts for a second time (which should be a clue to you).

Quote:
All you really accomplish by being so redundant with your constant whining is to make yourself look like a vindictive crybaby that should be put on “ignore”.
So now you're going to start calling me names? LOL! Please do; coming from the likes of you, I'll take it as a compliment. And please feel free to ignore me.

Quote:
You have reached the point where your complaints are less credible and make it appear that you simply have some vendetta against Polymer80.
Well based on everything you've said so far, it seems you're not the best judge of "credibility".

Once again btw, I have far more experience with Polymer 80 and their products than you do (and I also have far more gunsmithing experience than you do), so I'm here doing my civic duty in challenging your statements which are completely misrepresentative of the situation.

Quote:
In the future, I’d advise you to conduct more thorough research prior to committing your financial investment in any new products.
Well thanks for the thought, but I don't generally take advise from credulous fools such as yourself.

Quote:
Had you done so in this instance, you wouldn’t be feeling all butt-hurt over your perceived loss.
You're the one getting something shoved up your ample @ss, junior; you're just too stupid and generally mechanically incompetent to even realize it.
And unlike you, I have the ability to modify the locking block I have, or I can build up and machine down the underlug on the barrel. If it comes down to it, I can probably even make my own locking block from scratch.

The problem I have with Polymer 80 is mainly a matter of principle; they need to be called out on their lousy business ethics. But that's way over your head, chump.

Last edited by Nelson_2016; 12-16-2017 at 10:02 PM..
Old 12-17-2017, 5:54 PM
Banned

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson_2016 View Post
I asked for a refund, and they told me to go pound sand. Do you see the problem?
Yes! I am now seeing the problem!

When you got on the phone with tech support, you acted like a whiny little b*tch - just like you're doing in this thread.

As soon as you get triggered, you start getting abusive with people. And yet you wonder why they told you to "go pound sand".

Sorry, but I just can't help liking Polymer80's tech support even more now!!
Old 12-17-2017, 6:14 PM

how bout you two knock it off.
Old 12-17-2017, 8:13 PM
Head Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomesauce View Post
how bout you two knock it off.
Damn good advice, especially since not following it may well lead to getting banned.
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Old 12-18-2017, 4:35 AM

Apparently I'm not bright enough to heed the warning posted above.

Last edited by Kestryll; 12-18-2017 at 9:13 AM..
Old 12-22-2017, 3:30 PM

My locking block issue is different. I had no problem installing it, I cut a slight bevel in the frame and it fit snugly. The problem I have is the dimensions of the rails, they are .011" thicker than the old style PF940V1 and wider. I contacted polymer80 and they are sending me another.
good and prompt customer service, just what I like
Old 02-10-2018, 1:02 PM

I followed directions and shoved a screw driver shaft into the cavity to pry open the frame just a bit and the block slid right in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2018, 6:56 PM

Mmm I had a tight fit but, I have not seen this before. With mine I used oIL and it went in. At least the company is send a new one at no charge. Excellent customer service !
Old 02-27-2018, 7:20 PM
Calguns Addict

No prying necessary... simply bevel the edges a little where the legs of the locking block legs to into their holes, and then get a block of wood to protect the locking block finish, and then a few layers of rags to protect the trigger guard..... PRESS IT IN WITH A VICE.... worked beautifully.

Last edited by missiontrails; 02-28-2018 at 11:50 AM..
Old 03-13-2018, 6:57 PM

none of these polymer builds require the "single shot/bolt action mod"?
Old 03-13-2018, 11:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by asymmetricalwarfar3 View Post
none of these polymer builds require the "single shot/bolt action mod"?
Yeah any 80% pistol is going to be off roster, so to be exempt it needs to be built single shot break top or bolt action.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:02 AM
Banned

I wound up doing most of my build in my brother’s garage (up in Idaho) during Christmas. Amazingly, my brother received a Harbor Fright X/Y vise from Santa this year – so it had a chance to serve immediate use.

The single most important factor I learned about working on these frames is that the polymer seems very different from the polymers used by various gun manufacturers. While cold the polymer should not be over-flexed, as it is too brittle. I ruined my first frame (causing a stress crack) by attempting to spread the frame to test fit the locking block. I tried rolling a drill bit into the trigger slot just moments after the mailman brought the package failing to take into account that the thing still felt cold in my hand after sitting in the mailman’s truck all day. So make sure the frame is nice and warm when you insert the locking block. Sliding a sharpie marker into the trigger slot is the perfect size to allow the locking block to be pressed in. I fully seated the locking block with a small plastic hammer.

On the other side of the coin, the polymer machines MUCH easier if it is cold. I’d had the frame in the house overnight – so it was pretty warm when I went out to mill the frame. I noticed that the milling bit seemed like it wanted to grab the material as each flute on the cutter removed its respective chunk. I figured that I would just have to go slow and everything would be fine. After getting everything adjusted to my satisfaction, I had to hit the restroom from the coffee kicking in. When I returned and resumed cutting, I noticed right away that the bit behaved as if it has been freshly sharpened. The remaining cutting went extremely well, just applying light pressure to advance into the bit.

One area that I really wrestled with was the instructions saying to drill the pinholes free hand. Honestly, I know there’s absolutely NO WAY that I can drill a hole as accurately free hand than when using a drill press. So… I broke the rule and used a drill press instead. Now let me say, I had a junk frame to make practice cuts and holes, which allowed me to make better educated decisions about how I wanted to move forward. Polymer80’s instructions tell you NOT to use a drill press, and to drill the holes by hand, and I have no intention of telling anyone to do it differently. I’m just saying that I decided to use a drill press against recommendation. Had I not had a chance to practice on a junk receiver first, I’d have gone the free hand route. Either way, I will say that you want to drill each hole half-way though its side.

When I returned my CA residence, I test-fitted my Glock’s G34 slide and was very pleased with how everything turned out. At that point the project was temporarily abandoned due to the scarcity of factory Glock slide completion parts that I needed to complete my slide.

I’m not the kind of person who is too impatient to wait for the availability of reasonably priced parts and will simply shift to other projects. Just a couple weeks ago, Glock slide parts came back into stock at Brownell’s – so I ordered up along with a $68 set of Tru Glo tritium night sights. These sights are just as bright as others and are nicely made having a leading front edge that allows for no-hand slide racking.

I have to say that I’m very pleased at how the project turned out. Everything fit perfectly and the slide’s tight fit and smooth operation are just as nice as my factory Glock. I did take an extreme amount of care in drilling all of the pinholes and I attribute that to the factory-like finish that I achieved. I’m really itching to get out and test-fire this thing and hoping to be able sometime in the coming month or so. I’ll report back w/results when I do.

With the way everything looks and feels, I’m confident it’s going to run well. In conclusion, I would enthusiastically recommend this kit for anyone who has at least moderate shop skills. After milling, all I needed to do was clean up a few edge burrs. There was no sandpaper used (or needed) what so ever. The only place I used a file (a round one) was in cleaning up the cut for the recoil spring and guide.

This was a really fun project with a few minor hurdles. The support staff at Polymer 80 were absolutely outstanding. They took the time to answer all of my (many) questions and never once tried to rush the call or make me feel dumb for being over-cautious. Everyone that I spoke with at Polymer 80 was very friendly and courteous and made it clear that customer satisfaction is very important to them. When you’re working on a project like this, knowing that the company is there for you inspires confidence and is what made the project enjoyable for me.

If I can help, I’m happy to reply to questions and give advice where I can. However, I’m in transition to making my Idaho my permanent residence and slowly working my way out of this state. That being the case, I am absent from the forum for extended periods due to the fact that I do not have Internet access at my place in Idaho yet. I do eventually get around to making replies.

BTW, if you wind up with a ruined frame on your hands, they are not just good for making practice cuts and holes. I found the texture on the grip to be perfect for scratching an itch. I think I’m going to take an old hammer handle and mount the grip portion on it so I can use it as a back-scratcher. Seriously try it – it works great!