Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 10-07-2018, 2:10 PM

Default Out of State C&R Holder

If an out of State C&R License holder (say from AZ and AZ resident) walks into your shop and wants to buy a C&R handgun or rifle, how do you process the sale?
Thanks.
Old 10-08-2018, 6:58 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump1567 View Post
If an out of State C&R License holder (say from AZ and AZ resident) walks into your shop and wants to buy a C&R handgun or rifle, how do you process the sale?
Thanks.
I've not done it, but believe it is log it out of your A&D Log to their License Info and no DROS.
phone: (510) 371-GUNS (4867)

Crowdsourced 2A Calendar

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

Amazon Links Posted May be Paid Links
Old 10-08-2018, 9:33 PM

I think they must also be a resident of the state where their 03 location is. I have an 03 at my Nevada 2nd home, but I'm a resident of California with no COE or CA 03 location. I can't buy book-to-book here.
Old 10-09-2018, 9:28 AM
Calguns Addict

I'd like to hear from anyone that had actually done this. I plan on moving out of state fully but still visiting CA from time to time. Most FFL's but not all I have asked don't seem to have a problem with it.
Old 10-09-2018, 1:56 PM

I am a California resident and I have bought a number of C&R firearms from the Reno Cabelas. I give them a signed copy of my C&R and my CDL and walk out with it. No NICS check involved.

While not specifically germane to the topic, Cabelas has changed their policy a bit. You can still do the cash and carry but only once they have verified your C&R license. No problem on weekdays; they call ATF, but it is a problem after business hours and on the weekends. So I try and keep an "approved" copy of my C&R on file with them. The ATF EZCheck system doesn't include C&R licenses - I wish it would.

So I can't imagine why it would not work the same way for an out of state C&R in CA.

I'm also a regular FFL. I don't have a storefront so its highly unlikely I'd ever encounter this but if I did I'd log it out of my A&D book just like I'd do for a CA C&R but without running the DROS since they are not a CA resident.
Old 10-09-2018, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Swan View Post
I'd like to hear from anyone that had actually done this. I plan on moving out of state fully but still visiting CA from time to time. Most FFL's but not all I have asked don't seem to have a problem with it.
That's pretty much why I asked. I'm finally moving out of State but will be back to CA now and than. I pretty much only buy C&R guns now. Nothing new here really interests me or I already own it.

I'm also wondering if I want to keep my COE active (looks like I can if I want).

Quote:
If you are an out-of-state resident applying for a COE and you are unable to provide your fingerprints via Live Scan, you must use the “hard card” fingerprint method by having your fingerprints taken on two hard cards at a local law enforcement agency in your state of residence.
I don't ever plan on moving back, but you never know what life brings.

Last edited by Dump1567; 10-09-2018 at 2:11 PM..
Old 10-09-2018, 11:46 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugimports View Post
I've not done it, but believe it is log it out of your A&D Log to their License Info and no DROS.
I believe you are correct.

Penal Code 27115
Article 1 (commencing with Section 26700) and Article 2 (commencing with Section 26800) do not apply to the sale, delivery, or transfer of unloaded firearms by a dealer to a person who resides outside this state and is licensed pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto.

Penal Code 27715
Section 27540 does not apply to the sale, delivery, or transfer of unloaded firearms by a dealer to a person who resides outside this state and is licensed pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 10-10-2018, 3:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nardo1895 View Post
I am a California resident and I have bought a number of C&R firearms from the Reno Cabelas. I give them a signed copy of my C&R and my CDL and walk out with it. No NICS check involved.

While not specifically germane to the topic, Cabelas has changed their policy a bit. You can still do the cash and carry but only once they have verified your C&R license. No problem on weekdays; they call ATF, but it is a problem after business hours and on the weekends. So I try and keep an "approved" copy of my C&R on file with them. The ATF EZCheck system doesn't include C&R licenses - I wish it would.

So I can't imagine why it would not work the same way for an out of state C&R in CA.

I'm also a regular FFL. I don't have a storefront so its highly unlikely I'd ever encounter this but if I did I'd log it out of my A&D book just like I'd do for a CA C&R but without running the DROS since they are not a CA resident.
That policy I think also is not new at other places I remember a friend encountering problems like that with J&G years ago trying to buy C&R guns at an AZ show from them. He sorted that out and on next trip was able to.

But you never really hear about people coming to CA being residents of another state with their C&R license and purchasing guns. I plan on doing so but I figure on encountering fud and resistance from time to time just like how CA C&R licensees do so out of state on occasion.
Old 10-10-2018, 8:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I bet if we look in the PC or something about the sales and purchase of firearms only covers CA residents, not C&R holders. If I get some time Ill try and dig around.

Follow us on Facebook @acesjewelryandloan Need Cash Fast? Get a loan on your firearms here!
Old 10-10-2018, 9:49 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by acespawnshop View Post
I bet if we look in the PC or something about the sales and purchase of firearms only covers CA residents, not C&R holders. If I get some time Ill try and dig around.
Penal Code 27115
Article 1 (commencing with Section 26700) and Article 2 (commencing with Section 26800) do not apply to the sale, delivery, or transfer of unloaded firearms by a dealer to a person who resides outside this state and is licensed pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto.

Penal Code 27715
Section 27540 does not apply to the sale, delivery, or transfer of unloaded firearms by a dealer to a person who resides outside this state and is licensed pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).