Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 12-05-2013, 5:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Question gaming PC's, where to start?

i got a MSI 15 inch gaming laptop and have been thoroughly enjoying it so far. i am starting to think about getting a gaming PC in a few months instead of a Xbone. only problem is i have no idea where to start. i can run a PC just fine, but i don't think i can build one. so i was hoping there is a good place that can build me a good machine or i can buy one pre built. can some of you experts point me in the right direction for a good gaming machine?

burn the circus down cuz the world is full of clowns
Old 12-05-2013, 5:24 PM
Veteran Member

PCpartpicker.com
  • I would go i5, as virtual cores mean nothing to games.
  • Get a Z77 mobo.
  • Get the best video card you can afford. If I am cheap everywhere else, I'll put all my money here.
  • RAM isn't that important, 8GB should be fine. Make sure to match the voltage to your board.
  • Harddrive affects load time, not actual lag. SSD isn't cost effective yet. RAID if you want.
  • Get a good fan.
Old 12-05-2013, 5:52 PM
Veteran Member

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...9&Sku=B69-1745
add more ram, vid card, hard drive, and wait a long *** time for the rebate to come in
Old 12-05-2013, 6:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossy View Post
i got a MSI 15 inch gaming laptop and have been thoroughly enjoying it so far. i am starting to think about getting a gaming PC in a few months instead of a Xbone. only problem is i have no idea where to start. i can run a PC just fine, but i don't think i can build one. so i was hoping there is a good place that can build me a good machine or i can buy one pre built. can some of you experts point me in the right direction for a good gaming machine?
Dont think you cant build one! If you can put legos together, you can build a PC! Its quite easy actually and with calguns here, you cant go wrong.

Just put the CPU, RAM, HDD, fans (or water cool), optic drives and all the "required" stuff on the motherboard and plug it into the PSU. Update all the drivers FIRST for your mobo, windows and whatever else. THEN after everything has updated, install your GPU and any other goodies. Then install any programs.

Thats what I do anyways and it hasnt screwed me yet. Once you do it, you will love it and want to keep upgrading FOREVER

Also, sometimes I type in CAPS to emphasize a POINT. Please dont interpret that as YELLING. Sorry if I HURT any fuzzy little bunny's FEELINGS out there.
Old 12-05-2013, 6:47 PM

What games?
Old 12-05-2013, 8:51 PM

Ive been thinking about that myself with the whole ps4 and xbox1 dilemma.
Ive looked up," budget gaming pc 2013" on youtube. Alot of interesting builds. And alot of interesting comments. So far I have this in mind but always adjusting the list. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2bDN4
Old 12-05-2013, 10:27 PM
Calguns Addict

DigitalStorm. Have had one for a few years and has worked perfectly well.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member

alienware laptop would be a good choice. or apple notebook and run fusion for games.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:12 PM

Building a PC is incredibly easy. All you do is push things into place, and screw things in with a screwdriver.

Very little you can do to mess up.
Old 12-06-2013, 7:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontClaire View Post
alienware laptop would be a good choice. or apple notebook and run fusion for games.
OP stated he already has a gaming laptop, wants to build a desktop.

Mossy where are you located? I'm sure someone on here would be willing to help you out with the build if you needed it. I would always recommend building over buying a pre-built box, but if you do, don't buy a 'gaming machine.' Just like a 'wedding cake' instantly quadruples the price. Get the best spec'd PC you can with lots of RAM and a decent video card and you're good to go.

Last edited by billofrights; 12-06-2013 at 7:41 AM..
Old 12-06-2013, 7:55 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

You need something like this.

Old 12-06-2013, 7:58 AM
Calguns Addict

I'll take it but only if it is repainted into Luna Mode with black lighting.
...but their exists also in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to attempt to lower the powerful to their own level, and reduces men to prefer equality in slavery to inequality with freedom.
Old 12-06-2013, 8:04 AM

It is very simple to build a pc, Youtube videos helped me in building mine. Like blazeaglory said its like legos, most places sell bundles at affordable prices too, check out Newegg or Microcenter. Also they sell an Xbox controller adapter for pc, that way you can use the xbox controller on pc games.
Old 12-06-2013, 8:05 AM

As everyone noted, the wrenching part is not difficult, plenty of guides and videos on the internet. The hardest part about building a PC is picking out your parts for what you want to do with your rig. I always go by the Ars system guide, and interestingly enough, it was updated recently:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/...november-2013/

Last edited by Sentenza; 12-06-2013 at 8:06 AM.. Reason: i can spell
Old 12-06-2013, 7:19 PM

If you are happy with your gaming laptop performance then you could buy a larger monitor, keyboard and mouse and hook it up to the laptop. If you want more performance then you might find someone you know to help you out.
Old 12-06-2013, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentenza View Post
As everyone noted, the wrenching part is not difficult, plenty of guides and videos on the internet. The hardest part about building a PC is picking out your parts for what you want to do with your rig. I always go by the Ars system guide, and interestingly enough, it was updated recently:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/...november-2013/
skimmed through this briefly and its a pretty good layman's guide. i'd change a very few things here and there, but other than that, it's good.

hard part of building a pc isn't putting it together, it's picking the right components that will interface well with each other where one component is not a major bottle neck for w/e you are doing. although if money is of no matter, than the bottle neck won't be a big deal either since you can just upgrade later.

the best parallel is like putting together an AR, assuming you already have the tools and all the parts are already in spec, i.e. no fabrication or refitting of parts needed. it's not particularly hard to do and everything will eventually fit together if you fit stuff where it belongs and it will work provided you don't do anything REALLY out there, but there are "better" and "right" ways to do it vs just joe blow randomly trying to make stuff fit knowing it will eventually go together. to relate this to PC's, i've seen the following:
1. Non CS, CE, or EE friend builds computer w/o following any guides. It works, but it isn't optimized in many aspects. While it runs, it's easy for someone who is trained to say the same money could have been spent on this or that instead and your comp will work better/faster. Easy enough to fix with a new part or some configuration in the computer settings though. likewise in an AR, building an AR for long range shooting isn't just buying a bull barrel and big scope, although those things will certainly help.
2. CS, CE, or EE friend builds computer. Optimized, refined, runs well, and may even be customized in some ways to suit their known preferences. knows exactly why everything works the way it does and how everything plays together.
3. Non CS, CE, or EE friend builds computer but with a good guide. Just as optimized, refined, and runs as well as the one built in scenario 2, but they may not understand all of the exact science behind why things go together the way they do and work the way they do so when it comes time to say upgrade or do something, they may not be able to 100% optimize everything again (but then they could just consult another guide).

at the end of the day though, 1,2, or 3, their computers all work, and likely well enough for them to get the job done otherwise they wouldn't use it. likewise, most gun owners i have seen and met fall into 1 & 3, but i would still say their gun/setup works well enough for them just b/c the modern firearms manufacturing industry has advanced enough and has already taken care of most of the details that the people who fall into 2 would know how to deal with.

Last edited by penguinofsleep; 12-06-2013 at 7:52 PM..
Old 12-08-2013, 3:45 PM

check out Linustechtips or techsyndicate(sp?) on youtube.. they are always uploading build guides.. a load of info..have fun and build on... if you do build one make sure you post some pics in here of the complete
build.
Old 12-08-2013, 4:53 PM

i used www.hardware-revolution.com to build my first gaming PC, still running strong 2 years later. They update fairly often and the builds are designed so that you can pick parts and ensure that everything works together.
Old 12-08-2013, 7:33 PM
retired Goon

Check out Cyberpower PC.

They are in SoCal, so if you are in SoCal, you can save money by picking it up instead of having it shipped.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 12-08-2013, 8:40 PM
Calguns Addict

For some reason Ive been wanting to put together a mini ATX gaming rig. This one is capable of internal water cooling.
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-...words=mini+atx

Also, sometimes I type in CAPS to emphasize a POINT. Please dont interpret that as YELLING. Sorry if I HURT any fuzzy little bunny's FEELINGS out there.
Old 12-08-2013, 9:41 PM
Veteran Member

Start here

My Antec 1200 has too much room to give up but the Win D Frame case is gorgeous.
Old 12-08-2013, 9:58 PM

Newegg has killer deals usually.

I have this computer in a phantom 410 tower...much nicer looking than what they did to that phantom pony tower....
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883227480

Processor : Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz 64 bit Quad Core
Memory : 8GB DDR3 1333
Hard Drive :1TB SATA III
Optical Drive :24X DL DVD+/-RW Drive
Graphics :AMD Radeon HD 7770 1GB
Ethernet :Gigabit Ethernet
Power Supply :400W
Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

i love the tower design, the wire loom comes pre installed and routed, huge openings for 140 or 200mm fans, raised lower section for under case cooling, built in fan speed controller, easy remove right facing hard drive cage.

Been running a laptop for the last 4 years at max 15 fps for games, this tower runs 100 fps without breaking a sweat

Old 12-08-2013, 10:09 PM

Don't buy any name brand stuff like Alienware, etc. You're paying for the name. Use Newegg or Tiger Direct and piece together your computer. It is very easy. People think it is some daunting task, but the websites basically list what the items are compatible with. The barebone kits are a decent start. Nothing too great normally, but you can put some good stuff in there.

I'm on my 2nd PC build currently, and can tell you that AMD Processors are much cheaper and run about the same as Intel. Do some research and check out spec sheets on items that were tested against each other. For example, I chose my current AMD Quad Core CPU because it cost me $60 less than the Intel equivalent and they were scored virtually exactly the same.

Don't rush into building. Plan things out, have a budget, and do alot of research
Old 12-08-2013, 10:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN6CSReC70E

this build that they did will do what you want and some parts can be changed to make it cheaper than theirs (~$900 for theirs)

pretty much the 2 things you need for gaming:
CPU
Video Card

and a somewhat important hard drive (don't get a slow one, at least 7200rpm)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSig1911 View Post
Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepperGunShop View Post
Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).

Last edited by Scratch705; 12-08-2013 at 10:29 PM..
Old 12-08-2013, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member

A SSD is very important in gaming. It gives me first dibs on the tanks/choppers/AA on BF4 on 1st spawn.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetIE View Post
Newegg has killer deals usually.

I have this computer in a phantom 410 tower...much nicer looking than what they did to that phantom pony tower....
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883227480

Processor : Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz 64 bit Quad Core
Memory : 8GB DDR3 1333
Hard Drive :1TB SATA III
Optical Drive :24X DL DVD+/-RW Drive
Graphics :AMD Radeon HD 7770 1GB
Ethernet :Gigabit Ethernet
Power Supply :400W
Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

i love the tower design, the wire loom comes pre installed and routed, huge openings for 140 or 200mm fans, raised lower section for under case cooling, built in fan speed controller, easy remove right facing hard drive cage.

Been running a laptop for the last 4 years at max 15 fps for games, this tower runs 100 fps without breaking a sweat

Nice setup but I would double the watts of the PSU.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Damn Mossy what are you going to do? Are you close to Westminster OC?

Old 12-09-2013, 11:03 AM

@mossy

My friend's company here in San Diego has been building gaming rigs for quite sometime. They can ship a build to you as well. Let me know if you are interested. Some of the reasons people shop with them is there customer service, pricing, and BENCH MARKING. They will have the machine cater to the game.

I went with them because I wanted to make a gaming rig that will support the games for at least 3 years on decent settings before having to build a new one.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallabing View Post
Building a PC is incredibly easy. All you do is push things into place, and screw things in with a screwdriver.

Very little you can do to mess up.
Of course it's easy. Any monkey can put together a PC. The problem with the monkey is when things go wrong. When things don't work as expected, can the monkey figure what went wrong and where?
Old 12-09-2013, 12:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NytWolf View Post
Of course it's easy. Any monkey can put together a PC. The problem with the monkey is when things go wrong. When things don't work as expected, can the monkey figure what went wrong and where?
That is true. Thats why I put the basics together first and go from there. But then again, I have 20+ years of basic A+ so Its easy for me.

For a first timer, I would build with someone who knew what they were doing or at least print out a how to before hand. The OP does have a laptop, so if anything goes wrong, were always here to help

Old 12-09-2013, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

I was just going to say I'm not a PC gamer and am tech retarded but the last desktop I bought I picked up from ibuypower. I thought if it was a gaming rig it would be a better product than the crappy PC's i had always bought at Walmart or target tghat burned out after 1-2 years. It's still going strong after 7 years. My wife's an accountant and works from home so that things running non stop all day everyday.
Old 12-09-2013, 6:00 PM
Veteran Member

Majority of the stuff you put in a build will be better quality than most boutique OEMs with proper research.

Still running my build from 09. It's been through 3 graphics card upgrades. Playing BF4 on a mix of ultra and high settings no issues.

Edits HDSLR video like a baus too. (Mercury playback engine)
Old 12-09-2013, 6:02 PM
Veteran Member

Putting together a PC is easier than building an AR. Just pluging **** together (follow the directions).

Just finished Phase one of my new Corsair 900D Liquid cooled monster
Old 12-09-2013, 6:05 PM

Just start with a MacBook Pro.
Old 12-09-2013, 6:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinos View Post
Just start with a MacBook Pro.
LOL
Old 12-09-2013, 6:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeaglory View Post
Damn Mossy what are you going to do? Are you close to Westminster OC?
i still have a good few months before i have the money so i am still going over all my options. i know one friend who is into computers and could assist me if i go with a full build. and no i am not near the OC.

burn the circus down cuz the world is full of clowns
Old 12-09-2013, 6:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossy View Post
i still have a good few months before i have the money so i am still going over all my options. i know one friend who is into computers and could assist me if i go with a full build. and no i am not near the OC.
Cool. You got time. Im sure youll do the right thing.

I usually start with a good processor/mobo/case and go from there.

Cooler master has some really cool compact sealed water cooling systems too.

No ponies

Old 12-09-2013, 7:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8toytruck View Post
Start here

My Antec 1200 has too much room to give up but the Win D Frame case is gorgeous.
Crazy...

Old 12-10-2013, 12:15 PM

Build yourself, its easy and fun!

4770K @ 4.4ghz
16gb DDR3
GTX770 2gb
Corsair 1050w PSU
Old 12-10-2013, 1:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Nice rig! Wish my case had routing holes. I need to clean up the wires a bit.

Also, what brand heatsink is that? I always like the idea of a tower pass through cooler but since I found cooler master has a sealed water cooled unit, it seems pretty "cool". They have different sizes too. I think corsair offers something similiar as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-...ter+water+cool