Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > Turner's Outdoorsman
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2013, 1:14 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi-Surfer View Post
So true, don't know where you buy your weapons from, but every one that I have purchased has been in my hands and before I signed the DROS, I was able to check the SN etc. They boxed up that weapon tagged it with my name & copy of paperwork. He knew what he purchased.........
turner's doesn't normally do it that way. they'll have one example in the case/rack and the rest will be stored in the back or at the central warehouse, sometimes the gun you buy won't even be at the local store but will be transfered from one of the other stores. the nice thing about Turners is the inventory of all the individual stores is available to any particular store. So, if you want to buy an XYZ but the local store sold all theirs that they had, they can get one from the warehouse or one from another store. They just look it up on the computer and "reserve" the firearm to have it transfered to the local store. they have trucks making delivery runs at least once a week so that firearm will normally be at your local store in time for you 10-day pickup.

But, that does mean that you can't always look at the exact firearm you will be taking home when you start your DROS. that just means that you have to look at it good when you pick it up.

In the OP's case, it may be possible that they didn't even have any of those SIGs in the back and that they only had the sales example in stock. now, if SIG is shipping variations of the rifle under the same SKU, that sucks when you are buying sight unseen of the actual rifle that will be DROSed to you.

therefore, He knew what he purchased......... doesn't apply here since the OP was shown a sample of what he thought he was buying, but what was actually presented to him at time of pickup was different. and it makes it tough to put your foot down when they already have your money (if you walk away you stand to lose your deposit, but that can be argued with the CC company or in small claims court if need be), you've already invested 10-days, and don't want to have to pay for another DROS (for a handgun you can even run into 30-day rules as well.).

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

Last edited by ke6guj; 08-02-2013 at 1:18 PM..
Old 08-02-2013, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi-Surfer View Post
So true, don't know where you buy your weapons from, but every one that I have purchased has been in my hands and before I signed the DROS, I was able to check the SN etc. They boxed up that weapon tagged it with my name & copy of paperwork. He knew what he purchased.........
Why on earth would I make this up...........

My point is CUSTOMER SERVICE, the fact is they would not get the rifle from stock to double check on my concerns. Nor would they work with me in trying to get me what they showed me.

Where you there to witness this transaction? Or do you really believe that the world of gun store employees are infallible?

There is a reason I have not purchased a firearm from Turners prior to my recent addition. Their way of treating customers!!!

BTW: still have not received a reply from robz@turners.com
Old 08-02-2013, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
turner's doesn't normally do it that way. they'll have one example in the case/rack and the rest will be stored in the back or at the central warehouse, sometimes the gun you buy won't even be at the local store but will be transfered from one of the other stores. the nice thing about Turners is the inventory of all the individual stores is available to any particular store. So, if you want to buy an XYZ but the local store sold all theirs that they had, they can get one from the warehouse or one from another store. They just look it up on the computer and "reserve" the firearm to have it transfered to the local store. they have trucks making delivery runs at least once a week so that firearm will normally be at your local store in time for you 10-day pickup.

But, that does mean that you can't always look at the exact firearm you will be taking home when you start your DROS. that just means that you have to look at it good when you pick it up.

In the OP's case, it may be possible that they didn't even have any of those SIGs in the back and that they only had the sales example in stock. now, if SIG is shipping variations of the rifle under the same SKU, that sucks when you are buying sight unseen of the actual rifle that will be DROSed to you.

therefore, He knew what he purchased......... doesn't apply here since the OP was shown a sample of what he thought he was buying, but what was actually presented to him at time of pickup was different. and it makes it tough to put your foot down when they already have your money (if you walk away you stand to lose your deposit, but that can be argued with the CC company or in small claims court if need be), you've already invested 10-days, and don't want to have to pay for another DROS (for a handgun you can even run into 30-day rules as well.).
They told me they were in stock and they had seven in the back, I said 'great I would like to see the one I will DROS', again to double check the butt stock, but he would not go get it, but assured me "they are all like that" (broken record at this point). Now thats where some people would say If you dont get it I'm going to leave, I didn't push it as the gentleman was using a walking cane, and decided to have a little faith in the information and the system. I asked twice before I decided not to push it any further. This is my fault! But when I did the pick up (a different clerk) WAS trying to be as helpful as he could with trying to get me what I was promised, the manager said "DROS AGAIN, AND ANOTHER 10 DAY WAIT" and would not answer my subsequent question I had by ignoring me and staring at the ceiling (broken record). This is entirely not my fault. How am I supposed to work in good faith with the manager who wont even let me ask a question???

Again I have no reason to make this up. I doubt they will do anything about it either!
Old 08-02-2013, 10:27 PM

I've never once dros'd any firearm without the clerk bringing out the actual firearm that I'll be purchasing and letting me inspect it. Why would any dealer run the risk of easily mixing up which firearm goes to who when they don't check it and tag it. Everyone I've dealt with brings out the box, opens it up, checks the firearm and double checks the serial number every time. I don't buy from Turners much but the last time I did (5 years ago) they brought the rifle out and the paper work commenced. I just can't believe this practice of not bringing out the actual firearm is acceptable for any business dealing with guns, just unbelieveable, that serial number is everything and should be physically verified by that particular ffl when filling out paperwork.

That all being said, the OP has taken responsibility for his mistake in not following up on a legitimate concern he had and let some D-Bag clerk become his financial officer. It's a lesson learned and certainly wasn't as bad as other stories floating around this forum, in the grand scheme of things, a 2nd dros and an extra 10 days pales in comparison to those who continually spends money on firearms instead of buying a safe, only to have said firearms stolen, usually by someone they know.

Turners is known for not having the best staff to deal with no matter what the situation is (advice, buying, customer service, ect), some will have a few outstanding individuals, but word is usually most of the stores don't.

OP good luck with getting something out of your bad experience, the original clerk and manager were complete jerks and should certainly be reported to the corporate office, every ligitimate complaint is important and will add up in the long run.

I take it you're not here for the alcohol or the tobacco
Old 08-02-2013, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRE-EMPTIVE STRIKE View Post
I've never once dros'd any firearm without the clerk bringing out the actual firearm that I'll be purchasing and letting me inspect it. Why would any dealer run the risk of easily mixing up which firearm goes to who when they don't check it and tag it. Everyone I've dealt with brings out the box, opens it up, checks the firearm and double checks the serial number every time. I don't buy from Turners much but the last time I did (5 years ago) they brought the rifle out and the paper work commenced. I just can't believe this practice of not bringing out the actual firearm is acceptable for any business dealing with guns, just unbelieveable, that serial number is everything and should be physically verified by that particular ffl when filling out paperwork.

That all being said, the OP has taken responsibility for his mistake in not following up on a legitimate concern he had and let some D-Bag clerk become his financial officer. It's a lesson learned and certainly wasn't as bad as other stories floating around this forum, in the grand scheme of things, a 2nd dros and an extra 10 days pales in comparison to those who continually spends money on firearms instead of buying a safe, only to have said firearms stolen, usually by someone they know.

Turners is known for not having the best staff to deal with no matter what the situation is (advice, buying, customer service, ect), some will have a few outstanding individuals, but word is usually most of the stores don't.

OP good luck with getting something out of your bad experience, the original clerk and manager were complete jerks and should certainly be reported to the corporate office, every ligitimate complaint is important and will add up in the long run.
Definitely a learning experience. Need to follow my gut in the future. And I'm glad it was only a shattered vision as to a complete loss. I like my rifle, would have loved it though! The original clerk was not in any way rude at any time, he was just uninformed and overly confident with his information. The manager at time of pick up was short and unresponsive (very disappointing I had questions about doing a second DROS, I think he knew it would have lead to him eating the second fee), and the clerk helping me with pick up was as helpful as he was allowed to be and apologizing for the mistakes of others.

Not entirely unexpected either but I'm beginning to think I will have to put in more emails to get a response from turners!
Old 08-03-2013, 12:08 AM
Calguns Addict

I have to say... After all this, with having to wait 10 days and pay DRoS again, I'd have been in the manager's face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2013, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milky View Post
The original clerk was not in any way rude at any time, he was just uninformed and overly confident with his information.

Well perhaps you've cooled down since you posted this, but you originally said "He got real huffy puffy with me and wasn't very pleasant in telling me this is how they come". Anyone who does that when I'm about to hand them my hard earned money, not only do I consider them RUDE, but I'm putting that money right back in my pocket and moving on. He essentially persuaded you with his unprofessional actions to just forget about your concerns and just trust him. Basically saying walking back to the stockroom is too much of a hassle to do for someone paying his salary and theirs nothing wrong with that, just sayin

But in all truthfulness, if it were something at a killer price or simply hard to come by, I would actually put up with it just to get the toy and never shop with them again, unless its another rarity I'm looking for

Old 08-03-2013, 8:18 AM

not all turners are bad, search this forum with a store name and you will see...
Old 08-03-2013, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRE-EMPTIVE STRIKE View Post

Well perhaps you've cooled down since you posted this, but you originally said "He got real huffy puffy with me and wasn't very pleasant in telling me this is how they come". Anyone who does that when I'm about to hand them my hard earned money, not only do I consider them RUDE, but I'm putting that money right back in my pocket and moving on. He essentially persuaded you with his unprofessional actions to just forget about your concerns and just trust him. Basically saying walking back to the stockroom is too much of a hassle to do for someone paying his salary and theirs nothing wrong with that, just sayin

But in all truthfulness, if it were something at a killer price or simply hard to come by, I would actually put up with it just to get the toy and never shop with them again, unless its another rarity I'm looking for
I didn't consider his huffy puffy as rude, It was more of him getting a little defensive when I was asking about the butt stock and to check the back, and I had to explain to him why I wanted him to check (confirm the butt stock), which was unpleasant but not offensive. It is hard to explain through text and a lot easier through impression but I'm not posting a video of my definition of "Huffy Puffy" (hahaha)! The later post was more of a generalization of his personality, he was generally pleasant.

You are correct about the persuasion aspect.

I do hear you though. If anything I have cooled down because I'm beginning to realize that their probably not going to return my email or admit their mistake or try to train their management to be Human, and I will have to find the butt stock I was originally shown through other means (hassle and more money).

The price was good, better than I could find anywhere else. I did my HSC test at their store a few years ago and told myself not to buy here. But circumstances led me there. It was a two phase situation, I am overal more displeased with how the manager handle the situation.

Letting it simmer for the last couple weeks is what prompted me to start this thread, and while at first their lack of returning my email furthered my frustration, it seems to now ease it (which is exactly what they want for me to go quietly away).

Some form of something from Turners would be great, but expectation are not very high at all.

Last edited by milky; 08-03-2013 at 8:07 PM..
Old 08-03-2013, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1681 View Post
not all turners are bad, search this forum with a store name and you will see...
I don't believe all turners are bad (never posted that). I had a frustrating experience at the Reseda store specifically. And not all the employees at that store are bad either.

I have on the other hand seen a lot of negative feedback compared to other vendors. It's the nature of the beast when dealing with corporations. Sometimes it's a good thing, sometimes not so much, and unless the damage is severe they just won't do anything about it. Which leaves a small percent of the customers frustrated, as long as it doesn't take away from there profits what do they care?
Old 08-03-2013, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
I have to say... After all this, with having to wait 10 days and pay DRoS again, I'd have been in the manager's face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn't have to do another DROS, but rather that is what was offered to me by the manager at my expense, and the manager wouldn't answer my questions, decided to look away. The clerk helping me got the manager to come over to try to help me, I didn't ask to see him first (I wasn't being "troublesome" or have an attitude to provoke the manager not to want to help me).
Old 08-08-2013, 1:34 PM

Update: Turners has contacted me through email, and they are going to work something out for me. I will let you guys know the final outcome!
Old 08-15-2013, 10:46 PM

This is bad PR for turners....where are they on this forum? Very illusive I must add.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:47 PM

Excellent customer service = earned sales and repeat customers
Old 09-26-2013, 1:48 PM

Over a month now without any further notice from turners. They contacted me to let me know they would do something but have never reached out with what they would actually do (they eluded to buying me the stock). At this point it's highly doubtful they will do anything, and it has been a very frustrating experience. I think it's even worse that they took the time to get in touch only to leave me on the shelf without any further contact (nice tactic). Never again Turners, never again! Truly disappointed!!!
Old 09-26-2013, 7:24 PM

It's the little things that can make a good business great, and customer service is at the top of the list. Oh well, just can't believe such an easy fix won't be corrected and ultimately ignored.

Op goodluck with your future purchases, I'm sure you'll follow your instincts next time, it's your money and your responsibility, the rest of us are a little bit wiser from this incident as well.

Old 10-02-2013, 4:54 PM

A little update!!! I was wondering why I haven't heard from turners for almost 2 months now, so I sent an email to donb@turners.com (he was the last one to contact me to tell me that they were working on a solution) the mail was kicked back by the postmaster (undeliverable) I double checked the email and tried again, same thing!!!

Even better than just ignoring me.

Thanks Turners for being such a class act. I have decided to never set foot inside of the reseda store and now this whole thing is making me rethink setting foot in any Turners.

So an email went out to the CS guy that posted in this forum for turners (it was in a sticky), he never returned my mail to even say he received it and was having another person review it, got an email about 2 weeks after that from a polite gentleman who listened to my complaint and asked me how I would like them to make it right, about a week later he wrote back saying they haven't forgotten about me and are working on making it right. Nearly 2 months no contact and I can't get an email through to him anymore.

I would rather someone from Turners just say we have no interest in helping you. The manager at the reseda store didn't care to help (why does he work there then), now it seems Turners corporate doesn't care to help.
Old 10-02-2013, 5:43 PM
Veteran Member

Have you tried contacting the director of sales?

robzubak@turners.com

NRA Member
SAF Member

Quote:
A tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny.
Old 10-02-2013, 7:26 PM

No, I haven't. Thanks for the email address. I will write him as well.
Old 10-02-2013, 7:30 PM

Duh, it took me a second to put 2n2 together. robz@turners was who I originally emailed. This looks like a more direct line to the same guy. The other fishy thing is the postmaster returned emails were "postmaster@turners.com" could be that they blocked my email address on their mail server. Either way... way to leave someone in the dark. I will try that other email.
Old 10-02-2013, 8:14 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by milky View Post
Duh, it took me a second to put 2n2 together. robz@turners was who I originally emailed. This looks like a more direct line to the same guy.
il looks like they just realigned their email address naming schema. We've done that at work when we started getting bigger and changed email systems. However, when I did that, I made sure to keep the old email addresses as aliases so that all email to the old email address made it to their mailbox, but all new outgoing mail would show the new email address.

Quote:
The other fishy thing is the postmaster returned emails were "postmaster@turners.com" could be that they blocked my email address on their mail server. Either way... way to leave someone in the dark. I will try that other email.
I don't see anything wrong with bounces coming from "postmaster@turners.com". that is the way it should be.

I doubt they blacklisted your email address. I'd bet the undeliverable bounce message said that the recipient mailbox didn't exist or it was full.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 10-02-2013, 8:25 PM

Hate to say this, but your at FAULT for DROSing a fire arm without looking at it first..... Why do a lot of you guys DROS with out the firearm being in the store..... Just DUMB practices...... Just saying
Old 10-02-2013, 9:00 PM
Well used Member
CGN Contributor

My big question is was why a new DROS would be needed in the first place?

Serial numbers are not used when DROSing a long arm. Unless you were picking up the rifle so long after your pickup date the 30 days would have been up before they could ship a replacement, they should have been able to send it back to Corp. and have one with the correct stock shipped down.

Also, as you've found out, if they have it in stock always have them put it in your hands before paying for it. For that kind of coin, they can damn well march to the back and grab it. I never give them all the money prior to completion of a sell. Minimum deposit only, makes for a good bargaining chip. They want the rest of the cash and are motivated to make you happy.

It sure sounds like a bait and switch to me. They showed you one style, promised, "... they all come like that." Then they sold you another rifle that was different from what you were shown. Solid grounds for refusing to complete the sell. If they try that restocking fee crap just refute it with your CC company and file a complaint with the BBB.

At this point, I have grave doubts about them making it right.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."--Plato
Old 10-03-2013, 11:11 AM

Yup totally my fault for them hiring lazy ill informed clerks, and rude managers that prefer to look at the ceiling when a customer voices concerns. It should have been "made right" at pick up by the manager PERIOD!
Old 10-03-2013, 4:00 PM

Another Update:

I received a telephone call from a rep at Turner's, she informed me of the delays they are having with sig. This I can totally understand and I really appreciate them getting back to me to inform me of the status. It is a lot better knowing what they are doing about the situation. Through email I was never told exactly how they planned to handle it other than "we are working on making it right for you".

The phone call helped a lot. You have direct info and are able to ask questions on the spot, much better than second guessing through email.

Thanks again for the call Pam!
Old 10-03-2013, 4:18 PM

Maybe you should have called the hunting department manager back in July when this started. Don no longer works for Turners so that's why his email is shut off. Which manager was "rude"? And "ill informed"??? Have you ever talked to Randy the redshirt? Communication is a two way street! Employees at gun stores tend to not read cal gun threads cause no one wants to be cyber bullied by some cry baby!
Old 10-03-2013, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
Maybe you should have called the hunting department manager back in July when this started. Don no longer works for Turners so that's why his email is shut off. Which manager was "rude"? And "ill informed"??? Have you ever talked to Randy the redshirt? Communication is a two way street! Employees at gun stores tend to not read cal gun threads cause no one wants to be cyber bullied by some cry baby!
Read the thread and a lot of your questions will be answered! The clerk who initially helped during DROS was ill informed on the firearm itself, the clerk at pick up did everything he could to help me in the situation but he needed the approval of management so he brought the manager over to work things out, the manager decided to check out the ceiling tiles while I tried to him a question because my only option he provided would cause me to come out of my pocket.

I contacted Turners customer service and had a positive correspondence but it was questionable what they would actually do, two months later without any word and being unsure I decided to email him back to check in. My crystal ball broke before all this happened so knowing he was no longer an employee was beyond my ability.

I wrote robz@ to let him know I was getting emails kicked back today, and a woman called a few hours later to give me the rundown on my situation which left me with no doubt in their course of action and I was very pleased with this (the personal call, and their decision to "make it right")!

Your right communication is a two way street but the directions I had left me on a closed road!

Now please explain to me how I was being a cyber bully!
Old 10-03-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
Reading comprehension can be a beautiful thing, so maybe if you read the entire thread you wouldn't look like a fool without a paddle, everything is pretty self explanatory and Turners obviously doesn't take pride in taking care of their paying customers, even if it was a simple fix as in this situtation.