Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Bernardino Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 10:08 PM

Default Where do people go shooting? (non-commercial ranges)

I am just curious where does every one go shooting in the I.E. (even outside I.E.)? Excluding commercial ranges.

I was driving about hour just outside of Barstow, off of Hodge Rd. But recently I heard a rumor that it is only legal to shoot shotguns there, no long rifles and handguns. Years and years ago when I was a kid (back in the early 80s), we used to go to Lytle Creek and then gang members started to spoil the grounds, so we stopped going there around my teen years. Now, I have heard that Lytle Creek is more commercialized. I have thought about stopping by a ranger station and asking where, but I am not sure if I trust them telling me where truthfully, except to say "nowhere".

So where does everyone go to shoot handguns and long rifles (AR15s)?
Old 03-09-2013, 10:09 PM

Either inBarstow on BLM land or Johnsen valley
Old 03-14-2013, 9:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyhabts26 View Post
Either inBarstow on BLM land or Johnsen valley
From what I've read, Johnson is shotgun only and north of I 40 is fair game for anything.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:47 PM
Veteran Member

If you asked the ranger depending if they are cool they might demand to search your vehicle and inspect your firearms, most are totally clueless about the law and walks all over your rights.

Look for BLM. Twenty Nine Palms has alot of places to shoot. Just be careful, help is no where near. Occasionally there are gangsters roaming around those remote area's
Old 03-10-2013, 7:16 AM

Get the San bernardino county shooting map from bass pro for $10 or the special districts office in San berdoo for $2. These end the mystery of where and what you can legally shoot

My experience with rangers have been very mixed. Big bear discovery is the most helpful and will give you a map with their legal shooting areas. These are often closed due to fire danger and road conditions. Call before you make the drive.
Old 03-12-2013, 2:48 PM

I was just out at Hodge Rd yesterday, there were a few people there with a variety of guns. Drive up to the BLM Field office in Barstow, buy the maps ($4 ea.) and talk to the lady about what you're planning on doing. I did, she informed me that BLM land is shotgun only. However, if you go out remote enough nobody's going to bother you. North of Barstow however is open to whatever you want to shoot.
Old 03-14-2013, 9:15 PM

Ok check this out guy's.. About blm land near Barstow: most the land south of town is shoot-able w/shotgun. As far as rifle/etc.: West side of 15fwy ok. There is an invisible line that runs east to west exactly 10 miles south of barstow where you can no longer shoot at all. Its generally some where between the hodges offramp and next offramp south(forget offhand what it is). So I digress; hodges is the bestplace to go if your from ie and you'd rather stay away from the range nazi's like me. Remember, be polite and give each other space. I hate when I'm in the middle of a session and some duche parks next to me. Lastly, if you've been there before you'll agree with me on this one: have respect for the land and ALWAYS PICK UP YOUR TRASH. If you are like me you'd do some research. A greatplace to start is department of fish and game web site. They have that map from bass($10) that you can download for free. I bought it before I knew. But glad I did. Carried it once while on hunt trip. And put a SB sheriff in his place.... Always be in the know. Good luck. And shoot safe...
Old 03-14-2013, 10:17 PM

The Turners website has a free download for S.B. county
Old 03-15-2013, 1:22 PM

1N09 is great off the 330....Rangers are a mixed bag with it though.
Old 06-14-2013, 5:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerkp View Post
1N09 is great off the 330....Rangers are a mixed bag with it though.
I thought that 1n09 was closed?

You mean it was reopened? I spent my entire college years in that place. Shooting for photos and off roading for photos.

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...
Old 03-23-2013, 8:58 AM

BLM land in Perris near Maywood gun club.

Anyone know the story on Maywood anyhow? I have been looking for some reloaders that will help teach me the trade.
Old 03-24-2013, 7:11 AM

Where is this BLM in perris?
How does this work do you just go there and shoot pick up your mess then leave or ?
Old 03-26-2013, 12:12 PM

Hey y'all...I will be out in the Apple Valley area off of Stoddard Wells Rd at the end of April. I'd like to shoot handguns. So, from what I can tell, it sounds like it's ok to shoot handguns off of Hodge Rd. Is that right?

BK
Old 04-12-2013, 9:59 PM

Uhm....okkkk.....

So, I had a chance to stop in to Barstow today as I made my way to NorCal. I attempted to locate a place to go shooting according to the map given in this thread and I was unsuccessful.

I went up the 15 north, exited Hodge Rd and headed west. I promptly stopped when I realized that the road turns to gravel a few hundred feet from the highway. Given that I was in a Chevy Malibu rental car, off-roading was a no-go.

Looking at the map, I thought to pick up in the area south of the 58 in the area marked OK. I was in the area of Main St. and Lenwood. Just as an FYI, both Lenwood Rd. and Hinkley Rd. are currently closed at the Mojave River (you cannot travel north on either road to reach the 58.)

At any rate, I noticed that this area is populated and wasn't about to go popping off some rounds next to someone's property. So, what gives? Because I needed to get to Sacramento and I couldn't spend all morning driving around, I gave up. Should I have gone further south down National Trails/Main?

BK

Last edited by BadKitty; 04-12-2013 at 10:02 PM..
Old 04-19-2013, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKitty View Post
Uhm....okkkk.....

So, I had a chance to stop in to Barstow today as I made my way to NorCal. I attempted to locate a place to go shooting according to the map given in this thread and I was unsuccessful.

I went up the 15 north, exited Hodge Rd and headed west. I promptly stopped when I realized that the road turns to gravel a few hundred feet from the highway. Given that I was in a Chevy Malibu rental car, off-roading was a no-go.

Looking at the map, I thought to pick up in the area south of the 58 in the area marked OK. I was in the area of Main St. and Lenwood. Just as an FYI, both Lenwood Rd. and Hinkley Rd. are currently closed at the Mojave River (you cannot travel north on either road to reach the 58.)

At any rate, I noticed that this area is populated and wasn't about to go popping off some rounds next to someone's property. So, what gives? Because I needed to get to Sacramento and I couldn't spend all morning driving around, I gave up. Should I have gone further south down National Trails/Main?

BK
You turned the wrong way. I live 10 miles from there and been shooting out there for 15 years. I exit bell mountain (two exits before hodge) and head east. Thee is an old mine shaft that we shoot near into the hillside. You need to drive a ways and need a truck at least. According to the map I shoot in a shotgun only area but I only shoot into a hillside, biggest we shoot is 30-30 and .375 h&h.
Old 04-19-2013, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrElectric03 View Post
You turned the wrong way. I live 10 miles from there and been shooting out there for 15 years. I exit bell mountain (two exits before hodge) and head east. Thee is an old mine shaft that we shoot near into the hillside. You need to drive a ways and need a truck at least. According to the map I shoot in a shotgun only area but I only shoot into a hillside, biggest we shoot is 30-30 and .375 h&h.

Wait, Bell Mountain? Isn't that also Dale Evans? Or do you mean Stoddard Mountain? Some of the exits out there are named differently on the freeway signs than they are on the maps.

At any rate, I don't think I could shoot out "east" as I don't have a shotgun. I thought I could only shoot handguns in the area marked "OK" on the map.

BK
Old 06-07-2013, 8:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna2793 View Post
Where is this BLM in perris?
How does this work do you just go there and shoot pick up your mess then leave or ?
The BLM in Perris is off of Christmas Tree Lane and has alot of areas to shoot from. The rangers make regular patrols but the one that we talked to was pretty informative and wanted to educate shooters.
You will need a truck or SUV to get in some of the areas.
Just show up and find an empty spot, shoot, hang out and clean up.
Old 06-14-2013, 5:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Raider View Post
The BLM in Perris is off of ************************* and has alot of areas to shoot from. The rangers make regular patrols but the one that we talked to was pretty informative and wanted to educate shooters.
You will need a truck or SUV to get in some of the areas.
Just show up and find an empty spot, shoot, hang out and clean up.
It is really not in perris since perris is city, it is more considered county, but I have stopped telling people on an open board the exact locations of this place and refer to it as its name which is steele peake (or however you spell it).

You can do what you want but there has been a huge increase of *******s lately that know nothing about guns or gun safety and leave all of their crap behind. The place teeters on closing or not closing depending on who you talk to because of crap like that.

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...
Old 04-13-2013, 5:56 AM
Banned

Bummer.... so close.
Old 04-21-2013, 8:27 PM

As you get through victorville stoddard wells is the first exit away from the city, next is stoddard wells/bell mountain(yea a little confusing), then dale Evans and hodge rd.

If been shooting east of the 15 freeway for 15 years now. I go out pretty far though, shoot away from the freeway and into a hillside. Never been stopped or questioned about it.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:54 PM

We shoot near the Joshua Tree dry lake bed off of Sunfair Road quite often. Park Rangers came and talked to us once, just asked that we pick up all our trash.
Old 06-11-2013, 1:58 AM
Veteran Member

I've been going to the BLM land in Perris and Joshua Tree for about 9 years now. I try to stay away from the commercial ranges
Old 06-11-2013, 5:31 PM

if you look in that little map i live in Adelanto, i usually go up the 15 about 30 mintes (give or take) to dale evans exit, take a left (west) and there are signs posted saying shotguns only, i usually go about a mile out. a few times a ranger has came along while we had other then just shotguns, usually i just approach him be kind and cordial let him know we have shotguns, he says just clean up when you're done and everyone carrys on with their business