Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 05-27-2014, 6:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverwcw View Post
Kevin DeLeon continues to introduce legislation to restrict ammo purchases. The last bill he introduced seems to me he wanted to have FFLs report purchases of greater than 500 rounds to law enforcement. I'm sure there would be some sort of blanket form the FFL would have to send to the local law enforcement agency and I'm sure they would stick it in a file where it would collect dust.
I agree this his utter uselessness. And what happens when they report someone buys 1000 rounds? Do cops show up at your door to do a "mental screening" as they did with the IV psycho? We all know how that turned out.
Old 05-27-2014, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja308 View Post
Look more closely and you will find your MD and insurance company are forbidden by the FDA to prescribe more than a 30 day supply .

I read about it in the American Legion mag. Who told horror stories of veterans taking 30 pills at a time or something .

In typical democrat fashion, the head of FDA ( Obama ) appointee issued the order .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Fo...Administration
My insurance company actually won't approve a 30 day supply of a couple of my meds, demanding that I get the 90 day supply, because it's a little bit cheaper. I'm glad to save a bit on the co-pay, but I didn't know about this until I went to the pharm to pick up my refill, only to find out I had to call my doc, have him call the pharm, then go back to pick up my meds a couple of days later.
Old 05-27-2014, 7:44 AM

When they start calling for limits.... so should we. I would love to start seeing term limits. Political service should not be a lifelong career that gives them lifelong benefits.
Old 05-27-2014, 7:54 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkjjj View Post
The MSM is genuinely so ignorant about shooting sports that they really DO think anything more than 10 bullets is a LOT!

Until we--as shooters--can actually take some of these ignoramuses out to a range and show them just how many bullets can be easily consumed in 90 minutes, they'll never get it.
Those who don't want to know will simply learn "just how many bullets can be easily shot at innocents in 90 minutes."
They will not see the reasoning for target practice and recreation. They will only look for and see negatives created out of their own fears.

A.W.D.
Old 05-27-2014, 8:24 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
I hear DOJ is going to do a weapons count for the first time in years.
How are they going to count all those finished 80% er's? They won't count mine.
Old 05-27-2014, 8:26 AM

When I first introduced my fiance to shooting. I had her fill an empty handgun mag with 10 bullets. The 10th one was hard to get it in, but she could appreciate the fact that it takes some time and effort to reload a mag.

Immediately afterwards I asked her do you think you could do that during a gun fight? She was immediately upset the mag only held 10 rounds , because doing that during a gun fight would not be ideal.

Sometimes I think movies or tv shows damages the pro 2a movement with an unrealistic portrayal of guns. Having unlimited ammo when the heroes shoot the bad guys, makes people who don't know better think 10 rounds is plenty.
Old 05-27-2014, 8:33 AM
CGN Contributor

Just got done saving up 5,000 rds. For a three day X-treme shooting class with Rudy Waldinger at Sun Mountain Gun Club in Coarsegold.Ca. in October for me and my three Girls.
And that’s not counting the other ammo we will use USPSA shooting between now and then.
The Media would thank I am nuts.
Old 05-27-2014, 8:42 AM

My mother in law made a coment about this after church on Sunday. I said that most people take at least that many rounds to the range. I told her that depending on the caliber, that could be as little as 1 Walmart bag. I think she was surprised at that.

I told her that I would be more concearned about the guy that went to the gun shop and said, " I need 3,(counts on his fingers) no make it 4 rounds."
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohoki View Post
my ferret has served me well
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
CGF doesn't make laws - it only destroys them.

-Gene
Old 05-27-2014, 8:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior King View Post
State Senator aka "ghost gun" Kevin Deleon has called ammo to use his favorite word "the engine" that fuels gun violence. Yes if you live in Ca. you can expect ammo to be tightly regulated during and after his next term.

When I go the range I take my ghost gun. I need a semi truck load of ammo as my gun “ has the ability with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Thirty magazine clip in half a second.”
Your actually still legal until you add "the sholder thing that goes up". Then your in deep &^%$!
Old 05-27-2014, 8:53 AM

400, eh?

See sig.
It doesn't matter how scary, ugly, uncomfortable, or inconvenient self defense can be. Like it or not, you will never, ever be relieved of your duty and responsibility to defend your life, your family, your country and your freedom.

How much ammo do I need? Enough to last me the rest of my life, and then lot more for later.

The government does not come knocking at your door. It comes knocking down your door.
Old 05-27-2014, 8:58 AM
Banned

Oh you jutht don't underthtand... That'th 400 children that can be killed!

Thomething mutht be done...
Old 05-27-2014, 9:01 AM
Calguns Addict

I'm waiting for DeLeon to sponsor a bill that would prohibit transportation of a firearm by motor vehicle.
Old 05-27-2014, 9:14 AM

My friends & I shot over 300 rounds in a couple of hours the other week at a local steel match. Just target practicing on my own I'll shoot at least 150 rounds in one session. Camping over the weekend in the desert we'll shoot well over 1000 rounds.
Old 05-27-2014, 9:16 AM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

When I am down to 400 rounds in any one caliber I am thinking that I am out and it's time to make more.

Can’t somebody do something?!?!?!?!
Old 05-27-2014, 9:21 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

every one of those 400 rounds is one dead baby in their minds... don't forget who is making these statements!
Old 05-27-2014, 9:23 AM
Calguns Addict

Most of the folks here start to worry if they have less than 2000 rounds, only have 400 will cause a heart attack or two around here. besides, i'm so sick of this "no one needs X" crap. it's no ones job but my own to figure out what i need and or want. unless it harms someone else STFU.
You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.
Old 05-27-2014, 9:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverwcw View Post
Kevin DeLeon continues to introduce legislation to restrict ammo purchases. The last bill he introduced seems to me he wanted to have FFLs report purchases of greater than 500 rounds to law enforcement.
This goes hand in hand with ban on online purchases and controlled import into the state. The online ban is currently under preliminary injunction and is still litigated (this is several years old, but not dead.)

However, it's *very hard* to try to control an otherwise legal item by regulating brick-and-mortar stores. If possession is legal and the item is not controlled nationally (serialized or otherwise restricted,) *all* supply channels must be closed before the ban becomes effective. This includes online purchases as well as border control. Commerce clause is our friend here...

This battle is not the one DeLeon wants to fight - he'll lose big and he'll set precedent nationally the same way mayor Daley did...
Old 05-27-2014, 9:28 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfeeis View Post
besides, i'm so sick of this "no one needs X" crap. it's no ones job but my own to figure out what i need and or want. unless it harms someone else STFU.
No one needs to STFU.
Old 05-27-2014, 9:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm shaking in fear just thinking of all the ammo stockpile calguns (members) has combined!
Old 05-27-2014, 9:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gillious View Post
HA! I have 6,500 rounds of 54R at the foot of my bed!!
I use my crates as box springs
Old 05-27-2014, 9:44 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenchfoot View Post
I'm waiting for DeLeon to sponsor a bill that would prohibit transportation of a firearm by motor vehicle.
Only in low-mpg motor vehicles. A Prius is ok.
Old 05-27-2014, 9:49 AM

400 rounds is nothing to a regular shooter. Every time I go up to the national forest I shoot at least that. Granted I spread it out over multiple firearms because I am a cheep ***, and I am still is fear from the ammo availability after the last big push for gun control. However I do not see anything coming from this in terms of laws. This particular shooting illustrates everything all of us say regularly. There are no amount of laws that is going to suddenly work. They just "beefed up" the mental health laws last year. This guy used legally purchased weapons, with legal 10 round mags. He got past all the points where he should have been stopped by the system. Making more points of interdiction is not going to do anything else to stop it. And there is no way that some law limiting the amount of ammo one can have in their possession is going to pass the court test for even a round.

Since nothing is going to happen just be prepared to hear all the fools tell us all about how its the NRA's fault. Or the scarriest line I have heard "something must be done, I don't know what but something has to be done." That is the worst one out there. These are the people that will support whatever simply because it makes them feel like they did something. Regardless of what it really is.

How's that make you feel?
Old 05-27-2014, 9:51 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Look more closely and you will find your MD and insurance company are forbidden by the FDA to prescribe more than a 30 day supply .

I read about it in the American Legion mag. Who told horror stories of veterans taking 30 pills at a time or something .

In typical democrat fashion, the head of FDA ( Obama ) appointee issued the order .
We get a 90 day supply at the time and it's mandated by our insurance if it's to be a regular thing and not a one time med.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinwoodland View Post
We get a 90 day supply at the time and it's mandated by our insurance if it's to be a regular thing and not a one time med.
Wow, I guess I am a felon. I get 180 day supply of my medications. I travel ALOT for work and having stuff sent to verious pharmacies is just a waste. All I did was ask my doctor, my inssurance approved it and I pick it up every 6 months.

Admittedly I dont take any narcotic meds.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:54 AM
On Everyone's Ignore List
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

After explaining why we usually have lots of ammo on hand (training classes, shortages, reloading in batches, etc.), the analogy I use to refute the "too much ammo" hysteria has always been: OK, you are going to the store in your car. Would you fill up your tank or just buy the 1/4 of a gallon it takes you to get there and back? Shuts them up every time.

Being north of
70 has definite advantages: I was able to do all my stupid stuff before video cameras, smartphones, utube, and the internet.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:22 PM
Banned

I lost all my ammunition in that boating accident last year.....
Old 05-27-2014, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

What's the average number of rounds shot in a mass shooting? I'm guessing far less unless it was spray and praym
Old 05-27-2014, 1:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balmung View Post
Sometimes I think movies or tv shows damages the pro 2a movement with an unrealistic portrayal of guns. Having unlimited ammo when the heroes shoot the bad guys, makes people who don't know better think 10 rounds is plenty.
anyone else ever find themselves "counting" the rounds they shoot in their scenes, comparing to how many rounds that guns magazine can actually hold? i do

i've seen revolvers that shoot 12 rounds, semi-autos that seem to have an endless supply of ammo loaded into the magazine...it gets damn funny when you actually sit there and count off the rounds...some have gotten more realistic about it, especially when they use the "reloading" excuse in a scene for the bad guy to get the upper hand

400 rounds of ammo wouldn't even last in a decent movie scene
Old 05-27-2014, 2:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyBallgame View Post
anyone else ever find themselves "counting" the rounds they shoot in their scenes, comparing to how many rounds that guns magazine can actually hold? i do

i've seen revolvers that shoot 12 rounds, semi-autos that seem to have an endless supply of ammo loaded into the magazine...it gets damn funny when you actually sit there and count off the rounds...some have gotten more realistic about it, especially when they use the "reloading" excuse in a scene for the bad guy to get the upper hand

400 rounds of ammo wouldn't even last in a decent movie scene
I personally count how many magazines I have and then when I load a mag I count how many rounds left in the mag as I shoot, but I never thought of it as X amount of rounds total. I can of course do math and realize I'm shooting 400 rounds an hour or 1000 rounds a day or whatever, I just never really think of ammo in those ways.

With NYC wanting to regulate soda for gods sake, and 32oz sounding like a big number (which is not if it lasts me 4-5 days) then we need to realize they purposely pick the number to sound as scary as possible. 400 rounds means 400 dead people right? If lined up end to end, those bodies would wrap around the building 7 times, like sand bags......
Old 05-27-2014, 3:19 PM

400, who does that?? whao, that will take me a lifetime to go through.......oh lordy lordy
Old 05-27-2014, 3:22 PM

I start to sweat bullets after shooting 150 rounds at the range. Only because I just basically burned about $60.

I do count the shots in movies and shows to see how realistic they are and when they should have stopped to reload. Although if the show is in another state their handguns could have more than 10 rounds... gasp!
Old 05-27-2014, 3:42 PM
Calguns Addict

This one is so simply stupid on its face that its probably a good poster boy for push back about how the antis don't know anything about guns or gun crimes.

A: yes we need that many or more so we can avoid shortages and that a lot of us use about that much for one trip to the range
B: Why do we need your blessing either way antis? Wackos never fire off hundreds of rounds. 400 rounds of non 22 cal weigh too much to move around much btw... not practical for someone to lug around and be mobile.
C: This is as stupid and pointless as your other policies like banning rifles based on looks...
D: we have all the gun control everyone seems to want for the country already in California. Didn't do anything to help in this latest shooting (car ramming.. stabbing) rampage. Why are all your policies such failures and considering that they are; why should anyone take you seriously on this issue and/or care about your opinions of how much ammo people need?

I'm keeping my ammo. Go away.

Last edited by sl0re10; 05-27-2014 at 4:28 PM..
Old 05-27-2014, 3:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I start to sweat bullets after shooting 150 rounds at the range. Only because I just basically burned about $60.
You can do that easily with match grade .22LR!
Old 05-27-2014, 3:45 PM
Veteran Member

Some of the antis get the ammunition limit from peeking at England's laws. Once they get a license and a permit to own a rifle, they are heavily regulated and extremely limited on the amount of ammo they can buy and have at any one time.

Which makes me wonder, how the heck can they field a .22 benchrest match if they can't own enough of a consistent batch of match ammo to practice and go from match to match? It astounds me.
Old 05-27-2014, 3:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
reloading man.
Old 05-27-2014, 4:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor

If just 400 rounds is considered excessive, to the person making the foolish statement, you know even a single round is too many. Such people simply hate firearms and the Second Amendment.
Old 05-27-2014, 4:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

don't think your right on this one.

I think plenty of people with other insurance companies are getting 90 day supplies still.

on the plus side; the same insurance co has kicked down over $250k in actual payouts this year for me w/o any trouble or arm twisting required... and/or I got the care I think I needed... so they're not really terrible or anything.

Also; none of my stuff is three part / opiates or anything like that. They're also all cheapo generics...

Last edited by sl0re10; 05-27-2014 at 7:18 PM..
Old 05-27-2014, 4:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_man View Post
I agree this his utter uselessness. And what happens when they report someone buys 1000 rounds? Do cops show up at your door to do a "mental screening" as they did with the IV psycho? We all know how that turned out.
that or they'll just ignore the data since its useless.
Old 05-27-2014, 4:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldemar View Post
After explaining why we usually have lots of ammo on hand (training classes, shortages, reloading in batches, etc.), the analogy I use to refute the "too much ammo" hysteria has always been: OK, you are going to the store in your car. Would you fill up your tank or just buy the 1/4 of a gallon it takes you to get there and back? Shuts them up every time.
No one needs more than 10 gallons man.
Old 05-27-2014, 5:13 PM

Here is another suggestion for explaining this to an someone who thinks that 400 (or whatever) rounds is too much:
Ask them what they like to do recreation wise - bowl, golf, tennis, basketball, cycling, running, etc. Then ask them if doing their favorite activity 1 time per week for half an hour would be extreme? Explain that if, as a recreational shooter, they went to the range 1 time per week and shot only 1 box of ammo (50 rounds) then that would be 50x52=2600 rounds per year. I would guess that they engage in their favorite activity for more than half an hour per week and if you scale the shooting example up to what they might consider reasonable for their activity then you are talking much more than 2600 rounds per year, and at a retail price of over $20 per 50 round box it makes sense to buy in bulk (just like they do for other consumables at Costco or Sam’s Club) and save money. If they play golf, and every ball cost $0.25 at the club, and they had to hit a new ball each time they swing, and they could buy balls in bulk for $0.10 each then they would stock up on balls and bring their own to the course. It is not unusual for an avid shooter to consume tens of thousands of rounds per year and still not engage in their favorite activity as much as their neighbor who goes cycling, plays basket ball or plays golf.
This is in no way intended to use recreation or sport to justify the exercise of our 2A rights, but rather to illustrate that having a large amount of ammo is not unreasonable for someone who engages in the shooting as an activity, either for sport or as practice for self defense.