Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2019, 1:24 PM

Default Standard cap mag springs - can we order them?

Hello,

Are we allowed to order new springs for our standard cap magazines?

And if we had some blocked mags (that came with a shorter spring) and we unblocked them during freedom week, are we allowed to order the standard spring now? It is already a high cap magazine, it just has a weak spring.

Thank you

Edit: Before someone says "Don't be a p---- who is gonna know" or whatever, I am not asking permission, I am asking what the law says. That is all.

Thank you
Old 05-11-2019, 3:09 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

FAQ - nobody knows for sure.

We know that 'large capacity magazine conversion kits' are illegal to buy.

What we do not know is exactly how many parts might be a 'kit'; PC does not say, and no known court ruling provides any guidance.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Gregg Easterbrook’s “Law of Doomsaying”: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away — soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 05-11-2019, 4:04 PM

Hmm ... I did convert the LCMs (Low Capacity Magazines) to SCMs (Standard Capacity Magazines) during freedom week. Now I want new springs. Are we allowed to buy maintenance parts for SCMs we now legally possess?

Basically if I order a spring for a mag, will I go to prison forever?

Last edited by SanDiego619; 05-11-2019 at 4:12 PM..
Old 05-11-2019, 4:12 PM
Veteran Member

Que? I guess if you are a scammer you could go to jail. Doubtful for replacing a spring.
Old 05-11-2019, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderThanDirt View Post
Que? I guess if you are a scammer you could go to jail. Doubtful for replacing a spring.
No I am being honest, I had some 10/20 mags and I took the blocker out during freedom week. But I think the spring is shorter than normal mags.

I guess it's all speculation at this point. Maybe since I removed the blocker but didn't acquire the correct spring during freedom week they aren't truly converted yet, so buying the 20rd spring would be converting them. I guess I better err on the side of caution and put the blocker back in if I really want to be safe.
Old 05-11-2019, 4:43 PM

Wolff
Old 05-11-2019, 7:23 PM

I've bought standard mag springs in the past many times without issue. I don't imagine a single spring could ever be reasonably reconsidered a kit, but we do live in the gun Twilight Zone here in CA.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2019, 3:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Wolff ships to us.
I imagine it's a grey area to many...color of the law \ letter of the law

someone will drop in with a (strong) opinion shortly...

Twilight zone for real! heh heh

Last edited by L.A. Saiga; 05-12-2019 at 3:14 PM.. Reason: sorry you're asking a law question. i'll roll mine back. Beg your pardon
Old 05-12-2019, 6:25 PM

Wolff AR10 springs say this: Note: Will not fit new generation polymer type magazines.

I guess they won't work in Magpuls. I will call Magpul tomorrow. I can't seem to find anyone that sells springs for 20rd magpul 308 mags.
Old 05-12-2019, 6:42 PM

Magpul won't ship a 5rd spring to CA. They were helpful in providing 7.62AC first gen followers and locking plates, but not the springs.
Old 05-12-2019, 6:47 PM

Seems like someone could use a wolff spring in a pmag even if it says they don't fit.
Old 05-12-2019, 7:07 PM

To the best of my understanding blocked mags always had standard capacity Springs. I've never seen shorter Springs installed on block mags.
Old 05-12-2019, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtwin View Post
To the best of my understanding blocked mags always had standard capacity Springs. I've never seen shorter Springs installed on block mags.
I will call magpul, that is the only way to know for sure. The reason I thought the spring might be shorter is because the blocker is designed to have the spring sit on top of it instead of the blocker going up the center of the spring like blockers I bought in the past.
Old 05-13-2019, 9:13 AM
Veteran Member

FWIW, Lee's Mags sells individual mag parts for maintenance and restoration purposes.
Old 05-24-2019, 6:29 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtwin View Post

At least Magpul and Hexmag have sold 10/30 magazines with a 10rd magazine spring and a false floorplate at the appropriate position for that spring. Not all of the 10/30s are like that.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!
Old 05-24-2019, 7:48 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Brownell's will sell springs.

T
"A free people ought not only to be armed but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well digested plan is requisite: And their safety and interest require, that they should promote such manufactories, as tend to render them independent on others for essential, particularly for military supplies." - George Washington, 1790
Old 05-24-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
FAQ - nobody knows for sure.

We know that 'large capacity magazine conversion kits' are illegal to buy.

What we do not know is exactly how many parts might be a 'kit'; PC does not say, and no known court ruling provides any guidance.
Isn't the rule if it isn't explicitly banned, it is not illegal?
Old 05-24-2019, 12:26 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBrowningfan View Post
Isn't the rule if it isn't explicitly banned, it is not illegal?
In California?

That's not the way to bet, I think.

First one needs to estimate the likelihood of detection and prosecution, and then the cost of defending the behavior vs the perceived benefit.

I believe the Legislature is relying on the 'potential cost > the benefit' to discourage a lot of behaviors financially if not so much by threat of punishment.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Gregg Easterbrook’s “Law of Doomsaying”: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away — soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 05-24-2019, 12:27 PM

Likelihood of detection: 0.01%
Old 05-29-2019, 7:20 PM

Well I can't find any darn place that sells springs for a 20rd .308 Magpul AR10 mag.

Could I buy the Wolff springs and just use them even though they say they won't fit? Can't I just bend them with pliers or something or is that somehow an extreme felony in libtard land?
Old 06-09-2019, 6:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Midway ships springs here. I read it somewhere on Reddit.😉
Old 06-09-2019, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiego619 View Post
Well I can't find any darn place that sells springs for a 20rd .308 Magpul AR10 mag.

Could I buy the Wolff springs and just use them even though they say they won't fit? Can't I just bend them with pliers or something or is that somehow an extreme felony in libtard land?
I did a quick google search and couldn’t find any magpul 20 round springs. You could email brownells.

What makes you think they are worn out (edit “weak”)?

Last edited by NATEWA; 06-09-2019 at 10:33 PM..
Old 06-12-2019, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATEWA View Post
I did a quick google search and couldn’t find any magpul 20 round springs. You could email brownells.

What makes you think they are worn out (edit “weak”)?
They just feel a little weak, I want some stronger springs!