Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 01-17-2017, 7:25 AM

Default Vehicle Security

What do you guys use in your car to secure your firearms? Brands, models, ease of use? I should have my CCW in a couple weeks and want to see what's out there.
Old 01-17-2017, 7:28 AM
Veteran Member

I secure it on my person
I know your ban hammer is cold hammer forged and chrome lined, im not messin with it!
Old 01-17-2017, 7:30 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Santa Cruz gun locks, large universal. Holds my AR nicely secure and out of view. Pistol stays on me, and if not, it goes in the steel lock box in back.
Old 01-17-2017, 8:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFarmer74 View Post
I secure it on my person
Right, I get it. What if you have to do business where you can't carry? Leave it at home all together?
Old 01-17-2017, 8:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
Santa Cruz gun locks, large universal. Holds my AR nicely secure and out of view. Pistol stays on me, and if not, it goes in the steel lock box in back.
Is this in your duty vehicle? If not which steel lock box?
Old 01-17-2017, 8:08 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMarquez View Post
Right, I get it. What if you have to do business where you can't carry? Leave it at home all together?
I don't give them my business but it all seriousness I have a lockable cargo carrier if I needed to disarm.
I know your ban hammer is cold hammer forged and chrome lined, im not messin with it!
Old 01-17-2017, 8:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Console vault.
Old 01-17-2017, 8:47 AM
I need a LIFE!!

A console vault is illegal if it's in the same place as a center console, same with a glove box. I have one under my drivers seat.
Old 01-17-2017, 8:57 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Is this in your duty vehicle? If not which steel lock box?
I picked up a McWelco box at a state auction. It's MUCH better quality and security than just about any regular truck toolbox out there. The Santa Cruz lock, I bought from them and installed myself in my truck. I've got the older style of the following, which is a heavier gauge steel and I think a better design, but still very similar to this:
http://mcwelco.com/v-series.html

And one of these that I designed a pretty simple yet effective steel rail that is welded to the truck.
http://santacruzgunlocks.com/product...ersal-gunlock/

I'm confident that they are both plenty secure to prevent the vast majority of vehicle burglaries that would result in losing my stuff.
Old 01-17-2017, 8:59 AM

Quote:
I secure it on my person
Same, I secure it in my pants. Or in my backpack if I'm doing something that may compromise concealment.
Old 01-17-2017, 9:00 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
A console vault is illegal if it's in the same place as a center console, same with a glove box. I have one under my drivers seat.
Where is this codified?
Old 01-17-2017, 9:20 AM
Veteran Member

Fort Knox auto pistol box
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt

I Hate California.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I don't give them my business but it all seriousness I have a lockable cargo carrier if I needed to disarm.
Is it in the cab of your car? How do you get it into a cargo carrier without showing? Like I said, new to CCW and just looking for options. I don't want to have to move out of the car to secure it.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Is it in the cab of your car? How do you get it into a cargo carrier without showing? Like I said, new to CCW and just looking for options. I don't want to have to move out of the car to secure it.
No it's on the roof rack. That's a back up. I plan where I go so I don't have to disarm. If I do then it's very sneakily or wrapped in a sweatshirt or rag. I also carry a GHB so it can go in there then the carrier.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

This is what I have... It's a Jeep Renegade so there is no trunk. I screwed the lock box into the panel that covers the spare tire in the cargo area, then drilled and put a grommet so I can pass the security cable underneath where it connects to the seat frame. Nothing crazy, but looks clean and would be a little more difficult to steal this configuration IMO

Old 01-17-2017, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

http://www.consolevault.com/

Click the link and check out console vault. Very high quality and very secure. I have used one of years.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:18 AM

Drive a stick shift. Most thieves won't give it a second look.

Quote:
Increasingly, car crooks are having the air let out of their tires due to their inability to grind ‘em when they can’t find em. A pair of thieves comprising an 18-year-old and an underage teen pointed a gun on Broor Wilson of Knoxville, Tennessee recently and jacked his car, according to Jalopnik.com. When they couldn’t work the gearbox, they fled on foot and were soon caught and arrested by police.
http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/man...icle-1.1153530
Old 01-17-2017, 11:23 AM

I have a Tuffy console in my truck. Pretty much the same as a console vault, but less stealthy.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not-fishing View Post
Drive a stick shift. Most thieves won't give it a second look.

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/man...icle-1.1153530
stick shift or die !

I usually just keep a rifle and mags in my trunk
Old 01-17-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg86 View Post
This is what I have... It's a Jeep Renegade so there is no trunk. I screwed the lock box into the panel that covers the spare tire in the cargo area, then drilled and put a grommet so I can pass the security cable underneath where it connects to the seat frame. Nothing crazy, but looks clean and would be a little more difficult to steal this configuration IMO

Yes, this one.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Under drivers seat, with cable to seat frame, biometric for fast opening.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
OP stated for ccw. Console is fine, with or without any kind of vault.
Old 01-18-2017, 8:02 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Storing a firearm in the center console or glove box is illegal here even if it can be locked. I'm not a web ace, look it up yourself.
Old 01-18-2017, 8:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
No way. Vault is vault.

"Pursuant to California Penal Code section 16850, the term "locked container" means a secure container that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment."

A console is not a locked container, but one may put a locked container in a console.

Last edited by God Bless America; 01-18-2017 at 8:37 AM..
Old 01-18-2017, 2:04 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Storing a firearm in the center console or glove box is illegal here even if it can be locked. I'm not a web ace, look it up yourself.
Where is this codified?

Meaning. What law makes it illegal to have a handgun stored in a locked container which is inside of the center console or glove box, as is being discussed and you are claiming is illegal?

Short answer: There is not a law that says what you claim.
Old 01-18-2017, 2:21 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Quote:
Where is this codified?

Meaning. What law makes it illegal to have a handgun stored in a locked container which is inside of the center console or glove box, as is being discussed and you are claiming is illegal?

Short answer: There is not a law that says what you claim.
Relevant PC is 25140, it was added/effective 1 Jan 2017 based on SB 869 signed last summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA PC 25140 "Criminal Storage of Firearms"
(a) A person shall, when leaving a handgun in an unattended vehicle, lock the handgun in the vehicle’s trunk, lock the handgun in a locked container and place the container out of plain view, or lock the handgun in a locked container that is permanently affixed to the vehicle’s interior and not in plain view.
(b) A violation of subdivision (a) is an infraction punishable by a fine not exceeding one thousand dollars ($1,000).
(c) (1) As used in this section, “vehicle” has the same meaning as specified in Section 670 of the Vehicle Code.
(2) As used in this section, “locked container” has the same meaning as specified in Section 16850.
(3) For purposes of this section, a vehicle is unattended when a person who is lawfully carrying or transporting a handgun in a vehicle is not within close enough proximity to the vehicle to reasonably prevent unauthorized access to the vehicle or its contents.
(d) This section does not apply to a peace officer during circumstances requiring immediate aid or action that are within the course of his or her official duties.
(e) This section does not supersede any local ordinance that regulates the storage of handguns in unattended vehicles if the ordinance was in effect before the date of enactment of the act that added this section.
(Added by Stats. 2016, Ch. 651, Sec. 1. Effective January 1, 2017.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDub1950 View Post
That used to be true but with the addition of 25140 I am no longer certain it is.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Last edited by baggss; 01-18-2017 at 2:27 PM..
Old 01-19-2017, 9:07 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless America View Post
"but does not include the utility or glove compartment."

A console is not a locked container, but one may put a locked container in a console.
There you have it. Any LEO can determine a gun in the center console is illegal, whether it has a lock or not, whether it's made of steel or plastic. You must first place it into it's own locked case first. A case in a case.
Old 01-19-2017, 9:18 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

No, Jimi Jah. You are wrong. Your words said that storing it in the center console was illegal, when it clearly is NOT illegal in some circumstances.

You first said that a console vault, inside the console, is illegal to store a gun in. It is not. Good job. Ace.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:22 AM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Can you cite the PC for this? I can't seem to find it....

EDIT: This has been gone over ad-nauseam before: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/a.../t-983748.html

Quote:
No, Jimi Jah. You are wrong. Your words said that storing it in the center console was illegal, when it clearly is NOT illegal in some circumstances.
You are correct. Those circumstances are having a CCW.

PC 25400 says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA PC 25400
A person is guilty of carrying a concealed firearm when the person does any of the following:
(1) Carries concealed within any vehicle that is under the person's control or direction any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.
(2) Carries concealed upon the person any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.
(3) Causes to be carried concealed within any vehicle in which the person is an occupant any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.
and...

PC 25655 says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA PC 25655
Section 25400 does not apply to, or affect, the carrying of a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person by a person who is authorized to carry that weapon in a concealed manner pursuant to Chapter 4 (commencing with Section 26150).
So yeah, CCW can have the firearm anywhere in the vehicle.

But if you LEAVE the vehicle, PC 25140 now applies. Before 25140 leaving the gun in vehicle was a grey area. So putting a storage vault in the center console and storing the gun there would not be a violation of the law for a CCW holder regardless of weather they are in or out of the vehicle. Transportation rules would still apply for a non-CCW holder (unloaded and locked in a container) but the center console as the place for the vault might be questionable.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

Last edited by baggss; 01-19-2017 at 10:57 AM..
Old 01-19-2017, 11:02 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
OP stated for CCW and there's no restriction on where your firearm is.

If the thread changed to storage of a firearm in an unattended vehicle then CA PC 25140 "Criminal Storage of Firearms" applies.

25140 clarifies storage in an unattended vehicle and says in the trunk or "lock the handgun in a locked container and place the container out of plain view, or lock the handgun in a locked container that is permanently affixed to the vehicle’s interior and not in plain view".

Then refers to Section 16850 which excludes the glove compartment or console as a locked container.

I'll suggest, that a gun in a console vault satisfies 21540's requirments of 1. a locked container, 2. container is hidden and 3. permanently attached to the vehicle.

It's clear that simply dropping your gun in the console and locking it is prohibited.

IMHO it's also clear that 25140 does not exclude permanently attaching a locking vault, out of sight, inside your console. In that case, you are not attempting to use the console as 'a locked container' and 16850 doesn't apply. PCs never tell you what you *can* do, they only state what you *can't* do.

As with everything else, if your car is being tossed by a LEO who hasn't been laid recently, he might decide to write you up for it. But that applies to about 12,000 other 'what if' scenarios.

Last edited by ElDub1950; 01-19-2017 at 11:06 AM..
Old 01-19-2017, 11:13 AM

Default JLIIYT, man

JLIIYT

Just lock it in your trunk.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:39 AM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
OP stated for CCW and there's no restriction on where your firearm is.

<snipped>
You didn't read my full post right above your reply, did you?

Old 01-19-2017, 11:50 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
You didn't read my full post right above your reply, did you?
Yes, but you were writing yours the same time I was writing mine. You just clicked your go button first
Old 01-19-2017, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmas View Post
JLIIYT

Just lock it in your trunk.
Difficult to do if you drive a pickup truck. And the first thing any thief will do after breaking in your car is pop the trunk to get the good stuff.
Old 01-19-2017, 3:39 PM

Here's a product I recently purchased. It's a CONSOLE VAULT (that's the brand name) "Security Briefcase".
http://www.consolevault.com/security...l#.WIFbirEUXbc

or, along with some other products,

https://www.corporatetravelsafety.co...vel-safes.html

Also, Liberty Safe (click on "PRODUCTS", then "HANDGUN VAULTS")
http://libertysafe.com
Old 01-19-2017, 4:57 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Yes, but you were writing yours the same time I was writing mine. You just clicked your go button first
If you follow that link i provided, it leads to post from some years ago where you actually spell it all out quite clear. I just checked and regurgitated the PC that you had pointed out!

Old 01-20-2017, 1:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
If you follow that link i provided, it leads to post from some years ago where you actually spell it all out quite clear. I just checked and regurgitated the PC that you had pointed out!
LOL yes, scrolled through some and saw I had contributed to almost identical threads. Didn't reread much of my own posts

Sort of nice that 21540 clarifies vehicle storage. Previously it was far too vague. But it does change some of the old discussions.
Old 01-20-2017, 1:30 AM

i use the hornady tripoint lock box with an upgraded security cable. If the gun has to go in the lockbox, I'll stop at one parking lot, secure the gun, then go to my destination.
Old 01-20-2017, 8:47 PM

Quote:

EDIT: This has been gone over ad-nauseam before: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/a.../t-983748.html

You are correct. Those circumstances are having a CCW.

PC 25400 says:

and...

PC 25655 says:

So yeah, CCW can have the firearm anywhere in the vehicle.

But if you LEAVE the vehicle, PC 25140 now applies. Before 25140 leaving the gun in vehicle was a grey area. So putting a storage vault in the center console and storing the gun there would not be a violation of the law for a CCW holder regardless of weather they are in or out of the vehicle. Transportation rules would still apply for a non-CCW holder (unloaded and locked in a container) but the center console as the place for the vault might be questionable.
I was told the gun can be in the car but must be within reach for your control only. He specifically said not in the glove box. The issue is passenger safety.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:02 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I was told the gun can be in the car but must be within reach for your control only. He specifically said not in the glove box. The issue is passenger safety.
Eh. I've been told that it was absolutely illegal regardless of circumstances by jimi jah, and I've been told that it's perfectly legal regardless of circumstances by ...others.

Neither are right. I would trust "I was told", no matter who toldja.