Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 04-18-2019, 12:41 AM

Question Can I use 33 rd glock mag at my local shooting range?

I want to test it out and plus I don't know where to post this type of question. I live in SD.
Old 04-18-2019, 1:35 AM

They're legal as long as you bought them legally. But I think a few people have mentioned a few ranges that turned them away. None of them have a legal reason to deny you access.

Last edited by SJZ_Katsu; 04-18-2019 at 1:39 AM..
Old 04-18-2019, 2:22 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Termless View Post
Can I use 33 rd glock mag at my local shooting range?
I want to test it out and plus I don't know where to post this type of question. I live in SD.
Yes, you can.
Legally owned/possessed large capacity magazine can be legally used in RAWs, featureless semi-auto centerfire rifles, rimfire rifles, manually operated rifles, shotguns, manually operated pistols, and featureless semi-auto pistols.

However, when you utilize a range, you have to agree to their Terms of Service and some ranges prohibits the use of large capacity magazine.

So, if you utilize a range that prohibits, you won't be violating any CA laws but you would be violating their policy.
Which can result in you being asked to stop using it or to leave the property and failure to comply can result in being contacted by local LEOs for disorderly conduct and/or trespassing.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.Ē - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 04-18-2019 at 2:27 AM..
Old 04-18-2019, 2:41 AM

Thank you guys for clearing it up for me. I just wanted to be sure before I got out and test them out.
Old 04-18-2019, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Thank you guys for clearing it up for me. I just wanted to be sure before I got out and test them out.
Just donít draw unnecessary attention to yourself with mag dumps or making a scene.
Old 04-18-2019, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911GT3 View Post
Just donít draw unnecessary attention to yourself with mag dumps or making a scene.
Are you serious? I mag dump with 10 rounders, 20 rounders, 30+ rounders.. That's part of the fun of owning them.. I dont see why anyone would need to be fearful about it.. In 30+ years of gun ownership in SoCal I've never heard or read a single article about someone getting busted for high cap magazine possession stemming from a superfluous magazine dump..

The question was whether it's legal.. It's 100% legal.. Why act like it's not..
Old 04-18-2019, 5:45 AM

All depends on where you go I guess. As stated above itís legal, so why not act like it is. I shoot the High Desert BLM areas here in SoCal. I canít stand public ranges, we have enough rules in California. Itís been fairly common over the years to see guys out there with machine guns. Most guys in shooting areas are pro 2a and mind their own business. I follow the law, but it doesnít trouble me in the least to see men breaking the oppressive laws here.
Old 04-18-2019, 7:27 AM

Just don't start to rapid fire (as in mag dump). Most shooting ranges prohibit rapid fire.

Your arm will be tired. Practice at home, hold your aim for ~ 40 secs with a full mag
Old 04-18-2019, 7:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
And for the love of God don't call the range ahead of time and ask. You have nothing to be ashamed of. It's just another trip to the range.
Old 04-18-2019, 7:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyxcom View Post
And for the love of God don't call the range ahead of time and ask. You have nothing to be ashamed of. It's just another trip to the range.
I'd ask when I get there, if they don't allow you to use them, they sure don't deserve my money. I want to find that out before I hand give them any, because they probably won't give you a refund when they tell you you cant use them after you start using them, but I'm funny that way.
Old 04-18-2019, 7:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyxcom View Post
Yeah, god forbid you do something considerate to a business that provides a valuable service to the gun community.
Old 04-18-2019, 7:51 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlentzner View Post
Yeah, god forbid you do something considerate to a business that provides a valuable service to the gun community.
Considerate?

Try meek and ashamed. They are 100% legal to own and use.

Do you call the parking structure and ask if you can park your Porsche there?

Considerate?

No.

If they say i cant use them, i will abide by their rules. No way i am calling ahead to ask if i can do something 100% legal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by el chivo View Post
I don't need to think at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Didn't realize. I try not to be political.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 04-18-2019, 7:52 AM

My question is that how do they know that you’ve obtained the 33 rounders legally?
Old 04-18-2019, 8:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsiang View Post
My question is that how do they know that youíve obtained the 33 rounders legally?
The status quo before and after freedom week about magazines should be 'mind your own business'.

Any gun owner or firearms business owner that would question the legality of another gun owners magazines is a straight up Chauncy.
Old 04-18-2019, 8:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlentzner View Post
Any gun range that would forbid your use of your 10+ magazines IS NOT providing a valuable service to the gun community. In fact it is the absolute opposite.
Old 04-18-2019, 8:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

As an RSO, at one of the local outdoor ranges I don't care what or how you shoot it. As long as you're safe, the occasional mag dumps are okay, AND as long as it doesn't affect other shooters around you. Sorry to say, but some of the older bolt action target shooters (and most often longtime members) complain about it breaking their concentration, blah blah blah. You signed a liability waiver and are responsible for following all applicable state and federal laws. WE. ARE. NOT. LEO. So come on out and enjoy the fruits of your FREEDOM WEEK purchases.

Old 04-18-2019, 8:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Eyes View Post
Are you serious? I mag dump with 10 rounders, 20 rounders, 30+ rounders.. That's part of the fun of owning them.. I dont see why anyone would need to be fearful about it.. In 30+ years of gun ownership in SoCal I've never heard or read a single article about someone getting busted for high cap magazine possession stemming from a superfluous magazine dump..

I do t think he meant getting ďbustedĒ for, but to not draw attention from the range. Iíve been to indoor ranges that will harp on you for doing mag dumps. Lame it is, but itís their policy. I think 911 was just saying donít go in pop in a 30 rounder and go nuts. Just go in, enjoy your gear safely and not worry about what others think.
Old 04-18-2019, 9:36 AM

dont use it, it is illegal.

you need to get rid of it.
Old 04-18-2019, 9:40 AM

as posted earlier, a lot of ranges have a one round per second policy. So they probably dont care if the one round a second comes from a 10, 20,30 or 100 round mag. as long as it's one round a second.
Old 04-18-2019, 9:47 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

It is 100% legal to own them.

Some ranges prohibit high rate of fire, limiting you to one per second. I suppose that's to stop careless yahoos that want to re-live their video game "glory days" and don't really observe proper safety. That's a range policy, not law... the most that will happen is you'll be asked to stop or leave.

I think the caution about drawing attention is due to the fact that while it's still 100% legal for you to own/possess them, it's ALSO 100% legal for LEO to confiscate LCM's as a "nuisance" - the recent changes did nothing to address this provision in CA law.

So you can be 100% legal and still get screwed out of your mags, if you get the wrong kind of attention from the wrong person.

Advice: Don't take ALL your LCM's with you out of the house, unless you like having all your eggs in one basket and don't care if you lose them all in one twist of bad luck running into an LEO who's either in a grumpy mood or just flat out anti-gun.
Old 04-19-2019, 6:22 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterSOBCHAK View Post
All depends on where you go I guess. As stated above itís legal, so why not act like it is. I shoot the High Desert BLM areas here in SoCal. I canít stand public ranges, we have enough rules in California. Itís been fairly common over the years to see guys out there with machine guns. Most guys in shooting areas are pro 2a and mind their own business. I follow the law, but it doesnít trouble me in the least to see men breaking the oppressive laws here.
+1

ďPay attention. Iím educating you and Iím using small words.Ē -Mark Levin

-Life member, NRA
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 04-19-2019, 6:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Just don’t draw unnecessary attention to yourself . . .
What happened to California gun owners? Is this just a byproduct of the ongoing pussification of America? Or is something else going on?

MAKE GUN OWNERSHIP NORMAL AGAIN IN CALIFORNIA. Guns are legal. You are free. Act like it.

Last edited by Mayor McRifle; 04-19-2019 at 6:42 AM..
Old 04-19-2019, 6:49 AM

Tested out my 33 rounders in my Kriss 10mm a few weeks ago at a local range. No problems at all. RO didn't care, as long as you continue to follow the rules. Just another fun day at the range.
Old 04-19-2019, 8:52 AM

Quote:
My question is that how do they know that youíve obtained the 33 rounders legally?
You don't have to worry about that in the same way as anything else you lawfully obtained.

As for myself, I keep the receipts and judgements handy, as it would probably be an entertaining way to get anyone who asks out of my face.

Quote:

Nice.

And may I add, in case anyone comes along and asks, make sure you state the following in a very authoritative and stern tone of voice:

AM I BEING DETAINED???

make sure everyone hears it.

then let us know how that works out.

Last edited by caliberetta; 04-19-2019 at 9:05 AM..
Old 04-19-2019, 9:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
It is not their job or purview to make that call.
Old 04-19-2019, 9:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Who cares?

When you see someone take out a prescription bottle, do you demand to see the original scrip from the doctor to make sure it was legally obtained?

Would you frequent a business that did that?

How about if the walk the parking lot looking for expired registration, to make sure its legal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by el chivo View Post
I don't need to think at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Didn't realize. I try not to be political.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 04-19-2019, 9:43 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I showed up to Angeles many times (pre freedome week) with a stack of magpul 30's and nobody cares then, nobody cares now.
Old 04-19-2019, 9:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walmart_ar15 View Post
Just don't start to rapid fire (as in mag dump). Most shooting ranges prohibit rapid fire.
First time I went to Sunnyvale, I asked the RSO "is rapid fire allowed?" He looked at me very confused and said, "Why wouldn't it be?"

Coincidentally, Sunnyvale is my favorite range anywhere around the Bay Area.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

Dont do it. Its not worth the hassle.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:52 AM

Depends on which range you go to, and most ranges priority is SAFETY. However, I went to my local range few weeks ago, and the stupid RO pulled out my mag without my permission and checked if I had hi-cap. Yes, there are stupid ROs there.
Old 04-19-2019, 7:29 PM

Use em - all of them.

Remember - Magapalooza!
Old 04-19-2019, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Yes, but only if you mag dump. Otherwise people will look at you funny.
Old 04-19-2019, 9:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
When you drive up to the range, how do they know that you've obtained your car legally? Same answer: nunya biznizz.
Old 04-19-2019, 9:26 PM

Hey thanks everyone for the post. I just wanted to be sure before I go out & test it out. I know CA has the most BS gun laws in the country. I just didn't want to risk losing these freedom sticks for over these BS laws if I get caught with at the range.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo6cavedog View Post
Sorry to say, but some of the older bolt action target shooters (and most often longtime members) complain about it breaking their concentration, blah blah blah
THEY'RE THE WORST!!
Old 04-19-2019, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Hey thanks everyone for the post. I just wanted to be sure before I go out & test it out. I know CA has the most BS gun laws in the country. I just didn't want to risk losing these freedom sticks for over these BS laws if I get caught with at the range.
How would you lose something you legally bought??
Old 04-20-2019, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damiiaaannn View Post
How would you lose something you legally bought??
I guess someone at the range or someone at the counter would call on you am guessing.
Old 04-20-2019, 4:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I guess someone at the range or someone at the counter would call on you am guessing.
Good point. Something similar happened to me a few months ago. I went to the range before meeting up with someone to do a PPT. I had a large quantity of $20 bills because I was going to pay the guy in cash. When I went to pay the range fee, the range worker saw all the $20 bills I had and immediately called the police. He said it looked like I had broken into an ATM machine, and he demanded proof that I had obtained the cash legally. Like an idiot, I didnít have copies of my bank statements and ATM receipts with me. Nor did I have relevant penal code sections and court opinions regarding larceny and the legality of bringing large amounts of cash to a public range. When the cops arrived, they confiscated all my money and arrested me for larceny because they didnít understand the law and I couldnít prove that I didnít steal the money. After I got booked down at the police station, I was able to contact my lawyer. He came down and explained everything to the police, and I was ultimately released without charges. My cash was booked into evidence, and Iím still waiting to get it back.

So, yeah, listen to all these nervous Nellies on Calguns. Just because itís 100% legal doesnít mean you should do it. Anything can happen, and as the FUD merchants on Calguns have said over and over and over again, ďyou can beat the rap, but you canít beat the ride.Ē Just bury your legally obtained and legally possessed magazines in your backyard and never ever legally use them.

Old 04-20-2019, 4:59 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
Good point. Something similar happened to me a few months ago. I went to the range before meeting up with someone to do a PPT. I had a large quantity of $20 bills because I was going to pay the guy in cash. When I went to pay the range fee, the range worker saw all the $20 bills I had and immediately called the police. He said it looked like I had broken into an ATM machine, and he demanded proof that I had obtained the cash legally. Like an idiot, I didnít have copies of my bank statements and ATM receipts with me. Nor did I have relevant penal code sections and court opinions regarding larceny and the legality of bringing large amounts of cash to a public range. When the cops arrived, they confiscated all my money and arrested me for larceny because they didnít understand the law and I couldnít prove that I didnít steal the money. After I got booked down at the police station, I was able to contact my lawyer. He came down and explained everything to the police, and I was ultimately released without charges. My cash was booked into evidence, and Iím still waiting to get it back.

So, yeah, listen to all these nervous Nellies on Calguns. Just because itís 100% legal doesnít mean you should do it. Anything can happen, and as the FUD merchants on Calguns have said over and over and over again, ďyou can beat the rap, but you canít beat the ride.Ē Just bury your legally obtained and legally possessed magazines in your backyard and never ever legally use them.
This is funny now that Iíve woken up and actually read this

Last edited by Damiiaaannn; 04-20-2019 at 5:44 AM..
Old 04-20-2019, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post

Yep, the same thing happened to me at the strip club, way too many $1 bills, dancer thought I ripped off another dancer that gave me a lap dance, granted I had $400 in $1 bills but turns out I am just a very generous tipper....

"You Can't believe everything you read on the internet, sometimes people try and make you out to look the fool" -Abraham Lincoln