Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 8:13 PM
Banned

Default Question for LEOs

You are driving down a road in the country and see a couple people parachuting off an electrical tower into an open field. What do you do? Warn them, have a friendly chat with them out of curiosity, or ticket them? If you ticket them, what would you ticket them for?
Old 04-17-2019, 9:13 PM

Ticket them for natural selection.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2019, 9:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by explosivewhale View Post
Ticket them for natural selection.

What PC is that?
Old 04-17-2019, 9:32 PM

It's the ticket that the coroner ties to your toes when they pick you up

Old 04-17-2019, 9:47 PM

Personally, I'd be more worried about their safety and the risk of them short circuiting the transmission line and causing an area wide blackout if they touch a live wire than "ticketing" them.
Old 04-17-2019, 9:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt1372 View Post
Personally, I'd be more worried about their safety and the risk of them short circuiting the transmission line and causing an area wide blackout if they touch a live wire than "ticketing" them.
So you'd go with the friendly chat? What if they assured you there was little to no risk and this was done frequently from it for decades?
Old 04-17-2019, 10:04 PM

What an odd, very specific question....
Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

W Medic, you looking to jump?
Old 04-17-2019, 10:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR_rider View Post
What an odd, very specific question....
How is it odd? I'm curious how various LEOs would go about this situation, or what law they might feel was broken and citable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudigan View Post
W Medic, you looking to jump?
Why?
Old 04-17-2019, 10:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Why what?
Old 04-17-2019, 10:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudigan View Post
Why what?
Why do you ask
Old 04-17-2019, 10:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Nothing better to do, and now sort of curious, but agree with other, odd questions. So are you asking because you want to/have been doing it or..
Old 04-17-2019, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilderness medic View Post
So you'd go with the friendly chat? What if they assured you there was little to no risk and this was done frequently from it for decades?
Sounds like you should contact the LEOs/Agency that covers the area where that electrical tower is...
Old 04-18-2019, 5:53 AM

I’d call my partners over and take bets on which Mensa would be the First lawn dart.
Old 04-18-2019, 5:56 AM

Default Trespass

Wouldn't this be a PC 602(L) violation since the towers are certainly owned and operated by a utility company and there's no way they would condone that kind of reckless behavior? Almost every tower I've seen in the past has No Trespassing signs near/around the base.
The civil trial is what we really have to worry about. A good shoot is a good shoot, and in a good shoot, charges are unlikely. Dirtbags have families, who either refuse to believe that they are dirtbags, or who are dirtbags themselves and see the "loss" of their family member as a lottery ticket.
A Good American votes with a ballot, a Smart American votes with his wallet.
Me circa 2018
Old 04-18-2019, 6:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta34 View Post
I’d call my partners over and take bets on which Mensa would be the First lawn dart.
You sound like an upstanding human being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccw-g30 View Post
Wouldn't this be a PC 602(L) violation since the towers are certainly owned and operated by a utility company and there's no way they would condone that kind of reckless behavior? Almost every tower I've seen in the past has No Trespassing signs near/around the base.
So cite for trespassing and send them on their way.
Old 04-18-2019, 6:56 AM

Quote:
wilderness medic;So cite for trespassing and send them on their way.
I would write the cite to create a paper trail. That way, when they resume BASE jumping after I'm 10-98 there will be proof that they knew their actions were illegal.
The civil trial is what we really have to worry about. A good shoot is a good shoot, and in a good shoot, charges are unlikely. Dirtbags have families, who either refuse to believe that they are dirtbags, or who are dirtbags themselves and see the "loss" of their family member as a lottery ticket.
A Good American votes with a ballot, a Smart American votes with his wallet.
Me circa 2018
Old 04-18-2019, 7:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccw-g30 View Post
I would write the cite to create a paper trail. That way, when they resume BASE jumping after I'm 10-98 there will be proof that they knew their actions were illegal.
Wouldn’t be smart to continue after that.

So is PC 602 you can/would get them for?
Old 04-18-2019, 7:57 AM

Quote:
So you'd go with the friendly chat?
At least initially but my personal objective would be to eliminate the safety risks that were obviously apparent.

Quote:
What if they assured you there was little to no risk and this was done frequently from it for decades?
Based on what proof?

If I didn't know what to do, which I don't based on the fact pattern given, SOP would be to report the matter to my supervisor (there's always a supervisor above you) and ask Operations to contact the property owner (if its private land) or the supervising agency (if its public land) and the owner/operator of the electrical tower to assess the risks AND then take instruction from my supervisors regarding how to proceed.

One thing that I absolutely would NOT do would be to climb up the tower to get them. LOL!
Old 04-18-2019, 7:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta34 View Post

Or first Darwin Award.

This sounds like OP is curious whether a 602 citation is worth the jump. I can respect the cost vs. reward, but I wouldn’t advertise your plan if I were you. Now whether you get caught or not there’s a virtual paper trail....
Old 04-18-2019, 8:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
At least initially but my personal objective would be to eliminate the safety risks that were obviously apparent.

Based on what proof?

If I didn't know what to do, which I don't based on the fact pattern given, SOP would be to report the matter to my supervisor (there's always a supervisor above you) and ask Operations to contact the property owner (if its private land) or the supervising agency (if its public land) and the owner/operator of the electrical tower to assess the risks AND then take instruction from my supervisors regarding how to proceed.

One thing that I absolutely would NOT do would be to climb up the tower to get them. LOL!
Hahaha fair enough

As far as proof it would have to be just taking their word that it’s been thousands of times without any incident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmvan View Post

Or first Darwin Award.

This sounds like OP is curious whether a 602 citation is worth the jump. I can respect the cost vs. reward, but I wouldn’t advertise your plan if I were you. Now whether you get caught or not there’s a virtual paper trail....
Oh the citation is worth the jump, no jumper wouldn’t accept that or think it wasn’t or ... well they wouldn’t be doing it.

I’m just curious on a personal level what officers would do. As well as what they worst some might attempt to do.

I also don’t think any of them are concerned with a paper trail for trespassing lol.
Old 04-18-2019, 8:11 AM
I need a LIFE!!

OP

When I read your question, I though of this video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QNfgu-bYEvc

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 04-18-2019, 8:35 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

I also don’t think any of them are concerned with a paper trail for trespassing lol.
And your basis for that is what? Creating a paper trail provides a pretty clear trail, of past action's when someone is cited. In some county's DA's may let the first couple slide with just a fine or nothing at all, but after continued act's they tend to push a little harder.
Old 04-18-2019, 9:08 AM

Quote:
How is it odd? I'm curious how various LEOs would go about this situation, or what law they might feel was broken and citable.
Being curious about the question posed in your OP doesn’t make it any less odd or unusual.

The constant Monday morning quarterbacking of LE incidents no matter the course taken by officers on scene, our litigious society and often management/other government officials aversion to any potential liability, the frequent pandering to small, vocal groups by elected officials/management instead of standing by common sense law and order policy/procedure, and the proliferation of video these days probably precludes any outcome other than a minimum of a citation (which seems possible/legal in the OP) in most base jumping scenarios like your OP.
Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.
Old 04-18-2019, 9:09 AM

Let us know when you find out in person.
Old 04-18-2019, 9:15 AM

Quote:
Hahaha fair enough

As far as proof it would have to be just taking their word that it’s been thousands of times without any incident.
Not good enough.

It certainly wouldn't be sufficient if they die and their heirs sue the city/county stating that the LEO on-site "allowed" them to fall to their deaths or get electrocuted on the tower (because they told him it was safe to be there and had been done thousands of time before) and therefore was "responsible" for their deaths.

By bringing my supervisors in, I'm CYA which, frankly, is what I'd also be worried about (apart from the personal/public safety issues) in the situation described. CYA is an essential skill to learn/exercise for any LEO who wants to remain an LEO throughout his/her career until retirement.

Last edited by sgt1372; 04-18-2019 at 9:18 AM..
Old 04-18-2019, 9:29 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
CYA is an essential skill to learn/exercise for any LEO who wants to remain an LEO throughout his/her career until retirement.
If that doesn't work a piece of advise from one of my Sgt's from early in my career also works sometimes, "Admit nothing, deny everything, and make counter-accusations". Although that was from a time before everyone had a cell phone camera.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:02 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Take out the shotgun and yell "PULL".

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMo View Post
Almost every poll shows Trump losing very badly, yet poeple still believe some conspiracy. The party p[icked the weakest candidate so they have to own that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom2a View Post
Anything to protect Cheeto. Even though he just signed basically a gun confiscation order.
YES, TDS IS REAL, ORANGE MAN BAD

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 04-18-2019, 10:10 AM
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Not good enough.

It certainly wouldn't be sufficient if they die and their heirs sue the city/county stating that the LEO on-site "allowed" them to fall to their deaths or get electrocuted on the tower (because they told him it was safe to be there and had been done thousands of time before) and therefore was "responsible" for their deaths.

By bringing my supervisors in, I'm CYA which, frankly, is what I'd also be worried about (apart from the personal/public safety issues) in the situation described. CYA is an essential skill to learn/exercise for any LEO who wants to remain an LEO throughout his/her career until retirement.
That’s understandable. I ask because I’ve had conversations with LE, some close friends, some aquiantances, and almost all have said they wouldn’t be concerned unless there were other circumstances like vandalism or doing it in front of a crowd. I even had one want to give me a ride to a place where it was legal to watch.

Now I understand it may and probably would be different if they know the person as opposed to it being a stranger, so I’m asking strangers.

I’ve also witnessed a warning from LE to a group of jumpers saying “Don’t do whatever it is you look like you’re going to do.” And the group consensus was confusion wether it was said as “I don’t see anything here I did my job and am leaving” or if he wanted to cite but no violation had happened yet so he couldn’t.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
And your basis for that is what? Creating a paper trail provides a pretty clear trail, of past action's when someone is cited. In some county's DA's may let the first couple slide with just a fine or nothing at all, but after continued act's they tend to push a little harder.
My basis is that any serious jumper has already accepted they are trespassing and releasing tons of videos online as video evidence without care. Asking a question about how an officer would handle it is far from a concern of a “paper trail” especially since I don’t trespass and honestly wasn’t jumping when I witnessed the warning.

Not to mention that statute of limitations on trespassing is one year anyway.

Last edited by wilderness medic; 04-18-2019 at 10:16 AM..
Old 04-18-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
OP

When I read your question, I though of this video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QNfgu-bYEvc

I want to know how this ended...
Old 04-18-2019, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

My basis is that any serious jumper has already accepted they are trespassing and releasing tons of videos online as video evidence without care. Asking a question about how an officer would handle it is far from a concern of a “paper trail” especially since I don’t trespass and honestly wasn’t jumping when I witnessed the warning.

Not to mention that statute of limitations on trespassing is one year anyway.
So let's see you don't understand that in order for LE to arrest or cite for a misdemeanor it has to be committed in their presence, with a few narrow exception's, and trespassing isn't one of them. A youtube video isn't going to cut it for witnessing the violation, is it?

The question which you obviously didn't understand is what is your basis for the assumption that LE is not interested in creating a paper trail of continued violation's. I think it's pretty obvious that someone who is jumping off a high voltage transmission tower could careless about creating a paper trail for the court on themselves.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:48 AM

What a VERY VERY VERY Specific question - very odd. Very curious too.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
So let's see you don't understand that in order for LE to arrest or cite for a misdemeanor it has to be committed in their presence, with a few narrow exception's, and trespassing isn't one of them. A youtube video isn't going to cut it for witnessing the violation, is it?

The question which you obviously didn't understand is what is your basis for the assumption that LE is not interested in creating a paper trail of continued violation's. I think it's pretty obvious that someone who is jumping off a high voltage transmission tower could careless about creating a paper trail for the court on themselves.
Apparently reading comprehension is not your strong point. My quote you used was in response to someone suggesting advertising a plan on the internet and creating a virtual paper trail isn’t smart, not in response to an officer creating one.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICKSTER View Post
Take out the shotgun and yell "PULL".
You Sir have just won the Internets with that one!

CGF Contributor
NRA, CRPA LIFE MEMBER
Beretta 90 series, GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger Armorer just for fun!
Old 04-18-2019, 11:50 AM

^^^ No, I think tasing them right before they land and let them think that they hit a power wire would be funnier.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolguy101 View Post
^^^ No, I think tasing them right before they land and let them think that they hit a power wire would be funnier.
This is probably surprising to you, but the purpose of an electrical tower is to keep the lines up high, not at the ground.
Old 04-19-2019, 5:43 AM
Veteran Member

Well personally, I have incredibly little patience for dumb people doing selfish things that could negatively effect a lot of people.

So there's that.
Old 04-19-2019, 5:51 AM
Banned

The amount of ignorance here is incredible.

You guys clap every time a downhill skier slams into a tree and dies too?
Old 04-19-2019, 5:59 AM
Pitbull Apologist
CGN Contributor

Quote:
The amount of ignorance here is incredible.

You guys clap every time a downhill skier slams into a tree and dies too?
Damn bro. You come here, ask a random question, then don't like/agree with some of the responses from LEO's here...all smug and snarky about it too.

You'll be short lived here.
Old 04-19-2019, 6:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDawgJJ View Post
Damn bro. You come here, ask a random question, then don't like/agree with some of the responses from LEO's here...all smug and snarky about it too.

You'll be short lived here.
Hardly lmao. I asked a question about how LE here would interact in a situation, and got a bunch of responses akin to cheering on their deaths and hoping for failure.

The only thing I didn’t “agree with” was comments that showed enjoyment from people getting hurt and dying. There are a lot of sports I have no interest in and think are stupid but I sure wouldn’t take bets on who’s going to die or call them dumb. To each their own.
Closed Thread