Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 07-19-2010, 1:25 PM

Why would you want to join the army to fly? that's like joining the air force to be infantry, makes no sense. I personally disdain flight warrants due to my time in an aviation unit. However, they do live a good life.

http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/index.htm

That should have all the info you should ever need about becoming a warrant.

Oh and BTW 68W aint too bad, but promotions are slow ATM from my understanding.

Last edited by develown; 07-19-2010 at 1:27 PM..
Old 07-20-2010, 9:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by develown View Post
Why would you want to join the army to fly? that's like joining the air force to be infantry, makes no sense. I personally disdain flight warrants due to my time in an aviation unit. However, they do live a good life.

http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/index.htm

That should have all the info you should ever need about becoming a warrant.

Oh and BTW 68W aint too bad, but promotions are slow ATM from my understanding.
Dev, I see info on that site about going from enlisted to warrant, but what are the qualifications, and is it possible to commission straight to a warrant?

Jeff
Next... Remington 700?

"A government big enough to give you what you want, is strong enough to take what you have." -Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
Old 07-20-2010, 10:00 AM

First of all Congrats on your decision. Don't second guess yourself. Everyone has different experiences and travels to different locations. Don't make this about USMC vs Army either. All branches are good. You chose the Army already. Stick with that. I know MP's that loved and hated it. But, being infantry I knew folks that loved and hated it. I loved it. I have 2 kids in and 3 Kid inlaws in or was in. One was an MP. He liked it. I retired a few years ago (MSG). And I'll tell you what the Vietnam Vets I knew told me when I was starting out, "It will be what you make it, nothing more and nothing less. Stay busy and learn your job well. Most importantly, have fun". Good luck. I believe in you.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:39 AM

You might be able to.

Most of the warrants i knew took the "High school to fight school" IE they would enlist in a job like 15T and then immediately apply for WOC school once they got to their unit.
Old 07-20-2010, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliyanks View Post
First of all Congrats on your decision. Don't second guess yourself. Everyone has different experiences and travels to different locations. Don't make this about USMC vs Army either. All branches are good. You chose the Army already. Stick with that. I know MP's that loved and hated it. But, being infantry I knew folks that loved and hated it. I loved it. I have 2 kids in and 3 Kid inlaws in or was in. One was an MP. He liked it. I retired a few years ago (MSG). And I'll tell you what the Vietnam Vets I knew told me when I was starting out, "It will be what you make it, nothing more and nothing less. Stay busy and learn your job well. Most importantly, have fun". Good luck. I believe in you.
Caliyanks, thank you. I appreciate your kind words and encouragement. I completely agree that I will get out what I put in. And I am looking forward to it.

Jeff
Next... Remington 700?

"A government big enough to give you what you want, is strong enough to take what you have." -Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
Old 07-20-2010, 7:14 PM

Quote:
You might be able to.

Most of the warrants i knew took the "High school to fight school" IE they would enlist in a job like 15T and then immediately apply for WOC school once they got to their unit.
Well, your part right here. I spent some time with the aviation and all of my friends were either 15R ( apache mech ) or 15T ( blackhawk mech ) now 4 of my buddies dropped flight packets including my self (you don't have to be aviation to drop a flight packet) 2 of us got picked (I'm blind, instant no/go). Also aviation actually has regular "walking" warrants. These guys are basically the masters of their trade.

but

H.S. to flight school is litterally just that, you enlist straight in as a warrant. I can ask some recruiter buddies of mine on the specifics or you can ask your recruiter. One thing you need to know is that recruiters don't like putting officers in commisioned or warrant reason being is they don't get any blood money. Things could have changed though but i doubt it. Anyways, your recruiter should be able to put you in contact with an aviation unit and get you a meeting with a W3 or higher. This will be an interview process as you need this warrant and as many other warrants as possible to write you a letter of recommondation. After that I'm sure its nothing more than a flight packet, a flight test similar to the asvab (but actually requires intelligance and has some general physics involved Boyle's Law and such) then an approval process.
Old 07-20-2010, 8:30 PM

I think warrant seems like an interesting idea but again I'm sure it requires a secret, or higher security clearance. It looks like I will be 68w, providing slots open up in October. And eventually when I fix the credit issues and I still desire for 31b then I could apply or re-up into that.

Just curious, what type of hours do you work if not deployed. I understand we won't have labor laws like civilians but just an idea would be great. Perhaps for two scenarios, 1. A medic working in CONUS at a medical facility, and 2. A line medic attached and training (I assume) with the combat arms they are attached to.

Thanks guys.

Jeff
Next... Remington 700?

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
Old 07-20-2010, 10:22 PM

Default I'm going to enlist, any Army 31B's (MP's)[or 11B/19D] out there that have opinions?

I don't know if sick call medics have company formations in the morning.

Standard military day:

0630 first formation
0700-0800 pt
0800-0900 Personal hygiene
0900 possibly another formation or just straight to daily work.
1130-1300 chow
1700ish COB close of business

One day of the week is motor pool and another is sgt's time.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred1 View Post
I don't know if sick call medics have company formations in the morning.

Standard military day:

0630 first formation
0700-0800 pt
0800-0900 Personal hygiene
0900 possibly another formation or just straight to daily work.
1130-1300 chow
1700ish COB close of business

One day of the week is motor pool and another is sgt's time.
Is this all days of the week?
Next... Remington 700?

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
Old 07-21-2010, 1:13 AM

Default I'm going to enlist, any Army 31B's (MP's)[or 11B/19D] out there that have opinions?

No, Monday-Friday

And every federal holiday is usually a 3-4 day weekend. Pretty much once a month.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJKESSEL View Post
I think warrant seems like an interesting idea but again I'm sure it requires a secret, or higher security clearance. It looks like I will be 68w, providing slots open up in October. And eventually when I fix the credit issues and I still desire for 31b then I could apply or re-up into that.

Just curious, what type of hours do you work if not deployed. I understand we won't have labor laws like civilians but just an idea would be great. Perhaps for two scenarios, 1. A medic working in CONUS at a medical facility, and 2. A line medic attached and training (I assume) with the combat arms they are attached to.

Thanks guys.

Jeff
68W requires a secret clearance as well.
Old 07-21-2010, 2:49 PM

Quote:
68W requires a secret clearance as well.
I'm sure it doesn't Dev, I have looked into it and it also was not on the list at the recruiters office.

Jeff
Next... Remington 700?

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
Old 07-21-2010, 3:30 PM

Quote:
I'm sure it doesn't Dev, I have looked into it and it also was not on the list at the recruiters office.

Jeff
You might be disappointed down the line. Ive processed a lot of clearances for 68Ws. They want you to have one so they know they can trust you with medical records.
Old 07-21-2010, 4:03 PM

Quote:
You might be disappointed down the line. Ive processed a lot of clearances for 68Ws. They want you to have one so they know they can trust you with medical records.
If the state of CA will let me be an EMT but the Army won't because I have collections on my credit report from five years ago, there is just something wrong with that. Either way I won't give up.

Jeff
Next... Remington 700?

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
Old 07-21-2010, 4:14 PM

Quote:
If the state of CA will let me be an EMT but the Army won't because I have collections on my credit report from five years ago, there is just something wrong with that. Either way I won't give up.

Jeff
The army has higher standards then California. Also, as I've recommended to you before, finish your school. I am 100% positive you will regret not finishing.

Don't be in such a rush to join the army; we have had one for over 200 years and there will be one for another 200.
Old 07-21-2010, 4:36 PM

Quote:
The army has higher standards then California. Also, as I've recommended to you before, finish your school. I am 100% positive you will regret not finishing.

Don't be in such a rush to join the army; we have had one for over 200 years and there will be one for another 200.
Dev, I agree with you. As I hope you can see this is not something that I am rushing into. I agree that finishing school may be the beat way to go but I will have two years to finish. And we are not making. I believe that I would make an excellent officer but I also believe I will make an excellent soldier. I plan on making the Army my career, so either way I will be fine. At least my family will have a roof over their heads.

This is the choice that my wife and I have made that we fill will best benefit our family in the short and long run. OCS will always be an option as well as warrant and others. I plan to give it my all and make the best of it.

Dev, I truly appreciate your opinion and perhaps someday over dinner I would tell you that yeah, maybe.... But I accept the choice that we will be making, going into it with our heads up and eyes open.

Jeff (sorry for any typos, I'm on my iPhone)
Next... Remington 700?

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
Old 07-21-2010, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Dev, I agree with you. As I hope you can see this is not something that I am rushing into. I agree that finishing school may be the beat way to go but I will have two years to finish. And we are not making. I believe that I would make an excellent officer but I also believe I will make an excellent soldier. I plan on making the Army my career, so either way I will be fine. At least my family will have a roof over their heads.

This is the choice that my wife and I have made that we fill will best benefit our family in the short and long run. OCS will always be an option as well as warrant and others. I plan to give it my all and make the best of it.

Dev, I truly appreciate your opinion and perhaps someday over dinner I would tell you that yeah, maybe.... But I accept the choice that we will be making, going into it with our heads up and eyes open.

Jeff (sorry for any typos, I'm on my iPhone)
Well GL bro, your a grown man and can make your own decisions. I just hope every thing works out for you.

If it turns out your not happy in the army, just try to be positive and look at the flag on your shoulder and remember all that patriotic BS. I call my desk freedoms front line to help facilitate tricking my self into thinking I'm doing something worth while. It works half the time, alcohol works the other half, lol.

BTW, I cant remember if we brought this up before, but FYI OCS has an age limit. I believe its 31, so your ship is getting ready to sail on that option.
Old 07-21-2010, 8:33 PM

I have been where JJ has been and now that you are over the hump, school will get easier. I wanted to quit around the same time too, but stuck with it. No matter you're career, its something you can take with you. I'm glad I did. Two years will fly by, trust me.

You can get a age waiver for OCS.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:32 PM

My recruiter told me that enlisted soldiers are not constrained by the direct OCS age limit. And I believe the enlisted OCS packet has an age limit of 42.

Jeff
Next... Remington 700?

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
Old 07-21-2010, 10:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Quote:

Jeff
I'm a 68WN3... Yes, you need a secret clearance to be a 68W.
Quote:

Jeff
The Army won't because they know you will not pass the background check that the NREMT does in conjunction with the Army. So it's not worth their dime. Plus, having defaults on loans/credit prohibits most folks from holding a clearance.

If you're set on finishing school, finish it. Get your commission and enjoy your career. The credit thing may be an issue, depending on what job you want, just don't pick anything in intelligence or medical since it pretty much disqualifies you.

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.

Last edited by NiteQwill; 07-21-2010 at 10:45 PM..
Old 07-21-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteQwill View Post
I'm a 68WN3... Yes, you need a secret clearance to be a 68W.

The Army won't because they know you will not pass the background check that the NREMT does in conjunction with the Army. So it's not worth their dime. Plus, having defaults on loans/credit prohibits most folks from holding a clearance.

If you're set on finishing school, finish it. Get your commission and enjoy your career. The credit thing may be an issue, depending on what job you want, just don't pick anything in intelligence or medical since it pretty much disqualifies you.
I'm a little confused, I am already NREMT certified...

Jeff
Next... Remington 700?

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
Old 07-22-2010, 12:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I'm a little confused, I am already NREMT certified...

Jeff
NREMT or State?

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.
Old 07-22-2010, 8:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteQwill View Post
NREMT or State?
NREMT, The way we do it now is take the class, apply for NREMT, if approved we take the test and get certified. Then if we want to get state, we get livescanned and pay the county. I haven't planned on using it for work so I haven't forked the money out for the livescan and the county. I could though... I was state certified before.

Jeff
Next... Remington 700?

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
Old 07-22-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
My recruiter told me that enlisted soldiers are not constrained by the direct OCS age limit. And I believe the enlisted OCS packet has an age limit of 42.

Jeff
I just got the info from the horses mouth, AR 350-51. Feel free to read it your self

http://www.army.mil/usapa/epubs/pdf/r350_51.pdf

Quote:
1–5. Criteria
All applicants must—

k. Be at least 18 but less than 30 years of age at the time of enrollment.

1–7. Who may not apply

m. They would be over 34 years of age when appointed as a commissioned officer.
30 is the cut off age. However, it may be waved up to 34. Once you hit 35, your done.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:50 AM

My advice is that if you want to go 11B, 11C, or 11M pick one and DO NOT let your recruiter have you agree to 11X.
11B - Light Infantry - Choose this for the most action and opportunities for schools i.e. Airborne, Airassault....Lots of humping with heavy gear.
11C - Indirect Fire Infantry.
11M - Mechanized Infantry. Best of both worlds, mixture of Light Infantry and Mounted, not as much humping.

And as far as MP to LEO, not recommended the Laws and Regs. are too much apart, there is really no way to transition. Talk to a LEO recruiter before you decide to go this rout, they will most likely advise 11 series.