Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 01-23-2012, 5:58 PM

Guys that is the new radlock, and there is a 5 round mag in the box wrapped with paper
Old 01-23-2012, 6:03 PM

I'll see for sure on Monday at 1:42 haha, as long as the mag is there first place I'm headin to is the range
Old 01-23-2012, 6:05 PM

Is it legal for the FFL to transfer the S12 without a BB installed?
Old 01-23-2012, 7:04 PM

Don't worry guys it's there , just the second gen version of the radlock
Old 01-24-2012, 11:00 AM

i'm assuming installing the raddlock is the same as installing it on an AK? just drill the rivet out and put together?
Old 01-24-2012, 11:55 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Saiga 12 Raddlock

I believe this batch of the Atlantic Firearms are shipped with Saiga12 Raddlock installed. They are our Version 2 Saiga 12 Raddlock.

Please I have made some revision changes to make it fit after market magazines specifically for the AGP Magazines. I will post some more pictures of the reason for this update later. But this is something that you can modify to make Saiga 12 Raddlock to work more reliable with AGP magazines.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantly04 View Post
i'm assuming installing the raddlock is the same as installing it on an AK? just drill the rivet out and put together?
No drilling required on the Saiga 12. The mag-catch dowel pin is pressed fit. You will just need to use a 3/32" punch to punch it out from right to left and I recommend installing it back the same direction right to left.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:30 PM

I will have to look closer when I pick the shotgun up...but it didn't look like the mag lock was installed, I was in a hurry though. If anyone picks up can you confirm if yours is installed?

Thanks
Old 01-24-2012, 12:35 PM

You guys should take this discussion offline with Atlantic via PM

“We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.”
― Winston S. Churchill
Old 01-24-2012, 1:00 PM

Hey guys, how's this for irony .... Ends up i need to sell the one i got =(

A couple unforeseen expenses came up, so it'll be unshot , pm me for details or hit up my ad on the private sales forum .

I'm also going to post a sale for an RIA 9mm tactical
Old 01-28-2012, 10:28 PM

Took it out shooting today.

All the original accessories are included, and yes the 5 round mag too. Radd lock was installed and spare mag lever parts are included.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:48 PM

CONGRATS JASON!!!!! Shoot in good health....go get em!
Old 01-29-2012, 8:58 AM

Guys my FFL almost did not take the transfer because he was able to force the mag out of the well by just yanking on the mag. Fortunately the gunsmith on site was able to do as stated above buy mr. Raddlock to make it work properly, however the shotgun was shipped into the state illegally configured. Please make sure you file down the area shown above and ensure your saigas are legit!
Old 01-29-2012, 10:29 PM

Anyone have problems removing their mags with the Raddlock tool? The only time I've been able to successfully remove a mag with the Raddlock tool, I took a chunk of my finger out too in the process. Otherwise, I'm only able to remove it with a flat head screwdriver. Any tips?
Old 01-30-2012, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bviper View Post
Anyone have problems removing their mags with the Raddlock tool? The only time I've been able to successfully remove a mag with the Raddlock tool, I took a chunk of my finger out too in the process. Otherwise, I'm only able to remove it with a flat head screwdriver. Any tips?

I had the updated Raddlock installed on my Saiga 12 that I purchased elsewhere and the included mag removal tool would not fit with the ridges on my SGM 10 round mag.

I ended up breaking off the handle on a pair of chrome toe nail clippers and used the curved end (where your thumb would press). With the rounded edge, proper curvature and slippery chrome feel, this worked pretty well as an alternate tool.

I had concerns with the Raddlock being plastic as IMO wear may make it unreliable. Im having an all metal traditional bullet button being installed right now because of this.

Just my 2 cents!
Old 01-30-2012, 2:16 AM

Cant wait to get mine, first thing Im going to do after the conversion is put a decent mag lock on it. I'm not a big fan of the raddlock ones, they seem tricky with the promags and apparently other mags as well. The tool and mechanism are plastic and kinda proprietary, I want to make one or buy one that I can use a bullet tip.
Old 01-30-2012, 4:37 AM
Vendor/Retailer

All Saiga 12 Shotguns would be shipped with a Radlock installed and the original mags & accessories that came with each gun. We also included the Radlock instructions etc in the box. We converted the entire batch for the group buy in one day and we have not been contacted by any FFL dealers about guns arriving with out mags or locks.
Old 01-30-2012, 7:35 AM

These Saigas kinda look like they don't have a mag lock installed because they don't have the familiar mag lock "box" bolted/riveted to the bottom. I was a little confused at first as well but it's there. I think this one is nice: you're not paying for a mag lock that works on the import version that will no longer work after you convert it. My conversion is done, and I can confirm that the mag lock works on both configurations. Also, no problem here with accessories, there was actually WAY more stuff in the box than I anticipated.

Also, guess I'm not returning it now

Last edited by Saber2Golf; 01-30-2012 at 7:44 AM.. Reason: Pic
Old 01-30-2012, 5:19 PM

Just think of the unfortunate Saiga-less like me and be happy you have one
Old 01-31-2012, 8:21 AM

Took mine out shooting, radlock and mag were there. I bought a 10rd promag as well. The factory mag would not stay in with the radlock, after every shot it would eject, the promag stayed in but it is a pita to get it back off. I think I'm just gonna go to PRK and get one of there locks and switch it back out. It fired the green Remington 100 pack just fine on setting 2, would not cycle on 1

Last edited by dwmmatt23; 01-31-2012 at 8:25 AM..
Old 01-31-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmmatt23 View Post
Took mine out shooting, radlock and mag were there. I bought a 10rd promag as well. The factory mag would not stay in with the radlock, after every shot it would eject, the promag stayed in but it is a pita to get it back off. I think I'm just gonna go to PRK and get one of there locks and switch it back out. It fired the green Remington 100 pack just fine on setting 2, would not cycle on 1
File down the forward corner of the mag release. See image link, version 4E3. Quite easy, takes about 30 passes on a file.

Saigas need breaking in. Mine wouldn't cycle at first, but towards the end of the day everything was cycling well.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:57 PM

Shot mine after I picked it up. Very happy. The reliability kit really makes a difference. Was able to shoot 7 1/2 birdshot on setting 5 with no malfunctions pretty much outta the box. Also did about 15 or so slugs on setting 1. Great gun, very happy. Thanks atlantic!
Old 02-03-2012, 7:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan in SD View Post
Shot mine after I picked it up. Very happy. The reliability kit really makes a difference. Was able to shoot 7 1/2 birdshot on setting 5 with no malfunctions pretty much outta the box. Also did about 15 or so slugs on setting 1. Great gun, very happy. Thanks atlantic!
saiga noob here, what is a reliability kit?

thanks
Old 02-05-2012, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachachanng View Post
saiga noob here, what is a reliability kit?

thanks
Saigas right out of the box will oftentimes not cycle "low brass" bird shot commonly found at Walmart (100 shells/~$20). They generally require some breaking in or some polishing in order to do it.

The reliability kit in question is from Carolina Shooters, and is meant to make the S12 reliable with these very affordable shells. It consists of a lighter front spring, a more efficient gas puck, and an extended gas adjustment knob with 5 settings.

I went with RyanInSD to shoot our Saigas twice, once at the local range and once outdoors. His functioned flawlessly the first day with the cheap stuff while mine suffered from the mag dropping out after each shot (an issue with my mags and the radlock that was solved after a slight modification). The second time out, both worked well. I didn't get the reliability kit for mine but did get the lighter spring, and found that - on setting 2 and feeding from a gen 2 Promag 10-rounder - was all I needed to run the low brass shells.

I'll do a full range report within the week and post it here.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:09 PM

Get it done for us supporters from West Kommifornia
Old 02-06-2012, 7:57 AM

Finished it over the weekend after cussing at the BHO...but it's done.
Old 02-06-2012, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber2Golf View Post
I went with RyanInSD to shoot our Saigas twice, once at the local range and once outdoors. His functioned flawlessly the first day with the cheap stuff while mine suffered from the mag dropping out after each shot (an issue with my mags and the radlock that was solved after a slight modification). The second time out, both worked well. I didn't get the reliability kit for mine but did get the lighter spring, and found that - on setting 2 and feeding from a gen 2 Promag 10-rounder - was all I needed to run the low brass shells.
I'm having the same exact issue with the mag dropping out after every shot. What was the mod you did to remedy the problem?
Old 02-06-2012, 8:22 PM

so much for that next GROUP BUY..
Old 02-07-2012, 11:02 AM

I just want to add my .02 regarding the mag dropping out issue. I was the first guy who posted the issue here a couple months ago. I usually don't like to complain in a public forum, but in this case I feel compelled since so many of you are having problems now. Cut to the chase, after my initial post here, Radd sent me a new stiffer spring and new mag latch to try out. I went to the range to test it and the AGM 10rd mags still popped out... looking like an idiot in front of a bunch of my friends. I spoke to AGP and they suggested to file the underside of the mag lip. I gave it a shot even though my engineering gut told me it would not work. Went to the range again, mags still popping out. I ended up sanding down the steel clip to create more room for the latch to positively engage the mag. Went a 3rd time and it worked. Called up Raddlock and patiently explained to them how I solved the problem and they ended up with the solution you see above. Problem was NOT the mag it was the latch being too thick to properly engage the mag. A full 10rd mag is 2x heavier and has a bigger lever arm than a stock mag, especially with buckshot.

What's evident is that I spent alot of my time and effort diagnosing and solving a problem that raddlock should have tested and resolved, BEFORE they shipped product to customers. So I asked raddlock to at least compensate me by replacing my now unusable mag (which he ended buying 2 for testing) or send me one of their other products that I needed. I thought it was a reasonable thing to ask for, but he took it the wrong way and got all upset because he thought I was just trying to get free stuff and also accusing him of being dumb. Seriously??!! That was not the case at all. He continues by saying he did all the work and I'm just a dumb engineering student. Having worked for many mfg firms including Haas automation and delwest engineering as a mfg and process engineer for many years, I don't think so... So fine, I waited 2 weeks to see if he would at least replace my mag. Nothing. So basically...

Everyone that bought a saiga 12 on this group buy will have this mag popping problem. Raddlock should provide a stiffer spring and a new latch to address the issue. People should NOT have to modify a product that could be a huge safety liability and CA DOJ illegal, via mags popping out without a tool.

Cheap advice, before any company releases a new product they need to test it with all variations before releasing to the public. Especially if it's related to a firearm that is a huge safety liability issue. Even though I modified the AGP mag, the problem was the design of the raddlock latch. AGP mags work perfectly fine with the OEM latch.

But what do I know? I'm just a dumb engineering student...

Last edited by encore889; 02-07-2012 at 11:25 AM..
Old 02-07-2012, 10:52 PM

yep.. again, so much for that next GROUP BUY.. LOL.. the overpriced Saiga 12 saga continues..
Old 02-08-2012, 11:50 AM

Just finished my conversion last night, adding a pistol grip and moving the trigger group forward. Happy to say that I did it with just a hammer, screw driver and file.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to fix the problem of my mags popping out.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:19 PM

Why on earth would they provide a bunch of ungrateful Calgunners with an additional group buy? I was hoping they would but if I were them after all the *****ing going on I wouldn't touch us with a 10 ft pole. Every one of these posts regarding your issues should have taken place off line. Especially the ones falsely and publicly claiming that EVERYONE received a improperly configured rifle without verifying it as the truth. You know what they say about assumptions..... great work guys, I'll bet this is the last group buy Atlantic Arms participates in.

Someone lock this post please, it is now useless.

“We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.”
― Winston S. Churchill
Old 02-08-2012, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpowermatch View Post
Why on earth would they provide a bunch of ungrateful Calgunners with an additional group buy? I was hoping they would but if I were them after all the *****ing going on I wouldn't touch us with a 10 ft pole. Every one of these posts regarding your issues should have taken place off line. Especially the ones falsely and publicly claiming that EVERYONE received a improperly configured rifle without verifying it as the truth. You know what they say about assumptions..... great work guys, I'll bet this is the last group buy Atlantic Arms participates in.

Someone lock this post please, it is now useless.
Quit crying.

cliff notes from a buyer:

I got my S12, Im very happy with it and the price I payed.
The one issue as stated before is not about atlantic but about raddlock and their cheap ill tested mag lock that doesnt work out of the box on both after market 10rnd mags I tested.

Its a minor gripe but it has nothing to do with atlantic firearms who provided the group buy.

I will be making a real mag lock that utlizes the factories latch. The plastic junk that raddlock sent out is shameful. I hope they get their **** together when felonies are possible...
Old 02-08-2012, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan in SD View Post
Quit crying.

cliff notes from a buyer:

I got my S12, Im very happy with it and the price I payed.
The one issue as stated before is not about atlantic but about raddlock and their cheap ill tested mag lock that doesnt work out of the box on both after market 10rnd mags I tested.

Its a minor gripe but it has nothing to do with atlantic firearms who provided the group buy.

I will be making a real mag lock that utlizes the factories latch. The plastic junk that raddlock sent out is shameful. I hope they get their **** together when felonies are possible...
Guess you didn't read all the original gripes? Some complaints were directed at Atlantic based on fud. Such as, "they didn't install the mag lock" etc. Then someone went on basically claiming EVERYONES rifle is illegally configured??? You don't see anything wrong with that on a public forum??? People are fee to gripe all they want, they just should speak for themselves when doing so instead of dragging everyone else into it.

Good luck with your improved mag lock.

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 02-08-2012, 2:58 PM

I am looking to buy an S12, was really hoping to get in on another group buy. I sure hope this hasnt ruined it for those of us still in need.
Old 02-08-2012, 6:21 PM

Right here waiting patiently for the next group buy (hopefully a converted one)
Old 02-08-2012, 7:49 PM

Old 02-08-2012, 8:02 PM

I was the one that said that the rifles could potentially be considered illegally configured. I just wanted to warn everyone that they should look twice at there maglock because in my situation I was able to jerk the mag out just by smacking the mag stiffly and If you are able to fire off 1 round and still able to smack out the mag with no tools, By definition you have an illegally configured assault weapon.

I have no issues with Atlantic Firearms and will continue to shop them, however I would hate to see 1 person from this group by go to jail because they did not double check their maglock and follow "the fix" that Radd posted earlier in this post. By no means did I meant to shed bad light towards Atlantic Firearms.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpowermatch View Post
Guess you didn't read all the original gripes? Some complaints were directed at Atlantic based on fud. Such as, "they didn't install the mag lock" etc. Then someone went on basically claiming EVERYONES rifle is illegally configured??? You don't see anything wrong with that on a public forum??? People are fee to gripe all they want, they just should speak for themselves when doing so instead of dragging everyone else into it.

Good luck with your improved mag lock.
I don't have a problem with Atlantic. I didn't get in on the GB in time, but from what I read, they did a great job, and by no means do I want them to stop selling to CA. Unfortunately they bought and installed something for many, that doesn't work. Since S12's are stamped steel and not machined, there could be variations that could make it work better and maybe worse. But I suspect that the majority of people will have a problem. I'm just giving people a heads up. I don't see anything wrong with helping a fellow calgunner....? Do you? Isn't that what a forum is all about?

My question is, did you buy a S12 on the group buy and does your mag pop out? I count what 5-6 people that have posted the same issue now?

Last edited by encore889; 02-08-2012 at 11:40 PM..
Old 02-09-2012, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by encore889 View Post

My question is, did you buy a S12 on the group buy and does your mag pop out? I count what 5-6 people that have posted the same issue now?
A 25%-30% failure rate on the mag lock sounds like a pretty major problem.

Going to the range tomorrow to see if filing down the Raddlock will keep my 10 round SGM mags and 20 round ProMag Drum Mag from popping out.

Last edited by 4bviper; 02-09-2012 at 12:49 AM..