Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 08-11-2019, 6:34 AM

Default Travel to San Francisco

I am going to fly to SF tomorrow. I have had my CCW for about two years. I am thinking about taking my firearm. From my understanding a hard case with a lock in my checked bag. Then the magazines and the ammo can be openly transported separately in my checked bag. Is that correct? Any paperwork or any other rules?

Now for San Francisco. I carry a Glock 26 with 12 round magazines. I thought I had heard that SF has a city ordinance that only allows 10 round magazines. Is this true? Any other rules or differences I should be aware of?

Thank you.
Old 08-11-2019, 6:44 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Ammo can be in case with firearm. Large cap mags can be an issue for local leos. TSA could care less none of their concern..
Old 08-11-2019, 7:27 AM

Just arrive at airport early as extra time needed to clear TSA. I leave mags in case with firearm when declaring.

Check into SF firearm regs, IIRC correctly, SF had some goofy ammo restrictions in place to prevent "dangerous" ammo from entering its sacred **** stained streets.

PM me for your FrontSight needs.

WTB: Sig 220 Legion
Old 08-11-2019, 7:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divehobo View Post
Just arrive at airport early as extra time needed to clear TSA. I leave mags in case with firearm when declaring.

Check into SF firearm regs, IIRC correctly, SF had some goofy ammo restrictions in place to prevent "dangerous" ammo from entering its sacred **** stained streets.
Ok. Thank you. So there is paperwork for TSA? I canít just put it in my checked bag locked up and check it in without saying anything about it?
Old 08-11-2019, 7:29 AM

here is some info regarding ammo, knew I had seen something about it

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...ht=ammo+ccw+SF

Old 08-11-2019, 7:38 AM

Thank you. I carry the Federal Premium law enforcement ammo which is one of the three banned. So I am glad you posted that.
Old 08-11-2019, 7:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikef View Post
Ok. Thank you. So there is paperwork for TSA? I canít just put it in my checked bag locked up and check it in without saying anything about it?
Just put it in your checked bag, lol, NO!

Undeclared is nothing that I would be willing to risk. Might be nothing but then again, might be huge issue especially since you posted for all too see. Risk not worth reward in my books and probably keep you off the 24/7 news cycle and out of the newspaper.

You can download TSA firearm declaration from TSA website. You can also see airline info regarding traveling with firearm in luggage. Easy enough to access online.

Old 08-11-2019, 7:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divehobo View Post
Just put it in your checked bag, lol, NO!

Undeclared is nothing that I would be willing to risk. Might be nothing but then again, might be huge issue especially since you posted for all too see. Risk not worth reward in my books and probably keep you off the 24/7 news cycle and out of the newspaper.

You can download TSA firearm declaration from TSA website. You can also see airline info regarding traveling with firearm in luggage. Easy enough to access online.
Ok. Thank you. I will look into it now.
Old 08-11-2019, 8:04 AM

Keep your 10+ mags at home. SF has an ordinance banning high cap mags. Someone will chime in with citation but I wouldn’t risk it
Old 08-11-2019, 11:29 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

10+ rounds ďin the gunĒ are illegal anywhere in CA unless LEO, registered AW (not BBAW), or exemption I donít know if. Possession of the mags at the moment are legal but once in the firearm thatís a big problem. As other mentioned even possession in SF I think are banned.

Also I believe any and all hollow point ammo is banned in SF.

TSA rules have to be followed but your airline may also have their own rules.

Hope this helps.

I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns.
ó Bob Lee Swagger
Old 08-11-2019, 11:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caper View Post
10+ rounds “in the gun” are illegal anywhere in CA unless LEO, registered AW (not BBAW), or exemption I don’t know if. Possession of the mags at the moment are legal but once in the firearm that’s a big problem. As other mentioned even possession in SF I think are banned.

Also I believe any and all hollow point ammo is banned in SF.

TSA rules have to be followed but your airline may also have their own rules.

Hope this helps.
I'm a missing something? forgive me.
For now during the injunction, you can use 10+ mags "in the gun" as long as it's not evil featured.

For CCW, issuing agency policy.

For San Diego for instance it's on their web site as a FAQ....

Can a CCW licensee carry an approved firearm with more than ten rounds in the magazine if that high capacity magazine is legal?

The CCW license does not define magazine capacity, just the firearm. If the magazine and firearm are legal to purchase and own in the state of California, and the firearm is listed on the license, a CCW permit holder may carry. (Note: California firearms laws are subject to change. It is the responsibility of the CCW permit holder to ensure the firearm & magazine are in compliance with California law at the time of carry.)

Travel to other counties? I'm all ears on penal codes.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 08-11-2019, 12:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
I'm a missing something? forgive me.
For now during the injunction, you can use 10+ mags "in the gun" as long as it's not evil featured.

For CCW, issuing agency policy.

For San Diego for instance it's on their web site as a FAQ....

Can a CCW licensee carry an approved firearm with more than ten rounds in the magazine if that high capacity magazine is legal?

The CCW license does not define magazine capacity, just the firearm. If the magazine and firearm are legal to purchase and own in the state of California, and the firearm is listed on the license, a CCW permit holder may carry. (Note: California firearms laws are subject to change. It is the responsibility of the CCW permit holder to ensure the firearm & magazine are in compliance with California law at the time of carry.)

Travel to other counties? I'm all ears on penal codes.

I could be wrong but I donít believe the injunction covers in the gun, just possession. Injunction covers the Prop 63 law right, but the 10 round limit was in place long before that. Iíd check with Michel & Assoc. before submitting a firearm with 10+ mag for inspection.

I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns.
ó Bob Lee Swagger
Old 08-11-2019, 12:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Check in at counter fill out affidavit place in case containing firearm. Go to security wait for them to ok. Lock and go to gate. Pick up at destination.
Old 08-11-2019, 2:50 PM

Solano County Sheriff stated that standard capacity mags bought / altered during freedom week are legal to possess and carry for CCW . However , SF has a ban on mags over 10 rounds.

Last edited by JoyfulJoker; 08-12-2019 at 5:31 PM..
Old 08-17-2019, 6:17 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caper View Post
10+ rounds ďin the gunĒ are illegal anywhere in CA unless LEO, registered AW (not BBAW), or exemption I donít know if.
I try to stay informed on legalities, but I was not aware of this. Is it not legal to carry with a 10 round mag + 1 in the chamber (11 rounds total)?

I am not aware of a state law covering this and I double checked at USACarry, USConcealedCarry, GunlawsByState, NRACarryGuard, HandgunLaw.us, GunsToCarry and searched leginfo.legislature.ca.gov (trying "rounds" and "cartridges").

Can anyone confirm that this restriction exists and point me to the Code & Section?