Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 07-09-2019, 9:27 AM

Default Springfield 1903 bolt issue

About a year ago I saved a ww1/ww2 Springfield that was going through the bubba process. The gun was fairly complete minus the trigger and some other small parts. The bolt is a j6 and had a high gloss a3 bolt sleeve on it. after I took it to the range it fired fine with no issue but the miss matched glossed bolt sleeve did not match the rest of the rifle. so I purchased a correct bolt sleeve and after installing it the bolt will not close and clock the rifle. after taking them apart I noticed that the bolt safeties are a bit different, so I swapped them to try to match the sleeve and it still won’t close the bolt. I ended up purchased a second sleeve thinking the first one I ordered was out of spec and same thing.

locking issue
http://

here is the high gloss that fits

original that does not fit

Bolt

Last edited by oc16; 07-09-2019 at 9:37 AM..
Old 07-09-2019, 10:54 AM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Is the problem that the bolt not not insert all the way? You may have an early receiver with a bolt stop pin assembly that needs to be removed to use newer bolts.

From the tech manual TM9-1270:

Old 07-09-2019, 11:39 AM

the problem happened after I swapped the bolt sleeve. it wont go all the way but when I add the a3 it fits and goes all the way.

As for the bolt stop assembly I had no idea of this function. I just took it look and the bolt stop seems to have been ground down to allow regular bolts

Last edited by oc16; 07-09-2019 at 11:51 AM..
Old 07-09-2019, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

I'm guessing bubba had his way with the cocking piece trying to get it, the trigger, and safety to work. Post a side view of it.
Old 07-10-2019, 7:31 PM

I figured out the problem maybe this can help others with similar issues. If you ever replace the bolt shroud on a 1903 and the new one does not seem to fit. Make sure you swap the latch and spring located on the left side on the shroud. The reason why the new shrouds failed to work was due to the springs being to stiff for the bolt to slide in easily. as for pictures I am waiting on a replacement handguard once it comes in I will post away!