Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Non-California Permits/Licenses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-California Permits/Licenses For out of State License/Permit discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 01-17-2019, 10:37 AM
Featureless's Avatar
Featureless Featureless is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: SLO County
Posts: 692
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyFawkes View Post
Youíre right, if there was an active shooter somewhere in the hotel or casino or anywhere for that matter it would be stupid to go looking for them to take them out. Thatís why I would never do that nor have I suggested I would do that. My reasons for carrying are selfish, itís to protect my life and the lives of my family. If there was an active shooter my priority would be to get my family as far away from them as possible. The only time I would pull my firearm out is if I was somehow unable to escape and I was being directly threatened by the shooter.

Is there a reason youíre being so hostile and resorting to insulting me personally? Have I done something to offend you?
No, I just don't think it's a good idea that you're contemplating getting into a firefight in a casino especially while your family is with you. You're putting yourself, your family and everyone around you at a higher risk because you're armed IN THAT ENVIRONMENT. I wouldn't want you anywhere near me because you've made yourself a target. If you think casino security personnel won't notice that you're armed, you're wrong; there are too many tells and too many eyes on you IN THAT ENVIRONMENT. Your primary weapon is defensive and it's situational awareness, not armed response.

That's my opinion, I don't expect you to agree with it. I fully agree with the casino's decision to prohibit armed persons unknown to them on their property.
__________________
California Native
Lifelong Gun Owner
NRA Member
CRPA Member

"Those who seek absolute power, even though they seek it to do what they regard as good, are simply demanding the right to enforce their own version of heaven on earth. And let me remind you, they are the very ones who always create the most hellish tyrannies. Absolute power does corrupt, and those who seek it must be suspect and must be opposed"
~ Barry Goldwater 1964
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-17-2019, 10:55 AM
phdo's Avatar
phdo phdo is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,873
iTrader: 42 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featureless View Post
No, I just don't think it's a good idea that you're contemplating getting into a firefight in a casino especially while your family is with you. You're putting yourself, your family and everyone around you at a higher risk because you're armed IN THAT ENVIRONMENT. I wouldn't want you anywhere near me because you've made yourself a target. If you think casino security personnel won't notice that you're armed, you're wrong; there are too many tells and too many eyes on you IN THAT ENVIRONMENT. Your primary weapon is defensive and it's situational awareness, not armed response.



That's my opinion, I don't expect you to agree with it. I fully agree with the casino's decision to prohibit armed persons unknown to them on their property.


Sorry, but I disagree with you. I will have to side with GuyFawkes on this one. Iíve been to many casinos and Iíve been armed most of the time. An active shooter scenario is very unlikely. Iím armed because of dumb ***es. People are stupid when they drink. I would rather be armed and not need it than need it and not have it. Even if there is an active shooter situation, no one is telling you to draw your weapon and run around with it. It will be chaotic and if people see you with a gun then they might think youíre a bad guy. I would NEVER draw my weapon in an active shooter situation unless I absolutely have to (e.g. shooter is in close proximity to me or my family, shooter confronts me, etc). You can call me a coward but I donít think Iíll draw my weapon to defend some stranger either. My priority is to my family. Iím not a hero and I donít try to be one. Iím an excellent witness, though. Take the Mandalay Bay incident for an example. How will drawing your weapon help the situation? The guy was on the 32nd floor. Running around with your gun will do more harm than good.
__________________
WTB:
2.5Ē Colt Python
2.5" Smith & Wesson Model 19
2.5" Smith & Wesson Model 66
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Colt Series 70 1911
Sig Sauer West German P228
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-17-2019, 7:37 PM
JCHavasu's Avatar
JCHavasu JCHavasu is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: That's classified...
Posts: 297
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featureless View Post
No, I just don't think it's a good idea that you're contemplating getting into a firefight in a casino especially while your family is with you. You're putting yourself, your family and everyone around you at a higher risk because you're armed IN THAT ENVIRONMENT. I wouldn't want you anywhere near me because you've made yourself a target. If you think casino security personnel won't notice that you're armed, you're wrong; there are too many tells and too many eyes on you IN THAT ENVIRONMENT. Your primary weapon is defensive and it's situational awareness, not armed response.

That's my opinion, I don't expect you to agree with it. I fully agree with the casino's decision to prohibit armed persons unknown to them on their property.
The OP did not advocate, nor I am advocating jumping into a random active shooter situation. You made the assumption that he would be jumping into something between two rival factions. I carry in the event I have to actively defend my family or myself. And I have to disagree that I am at higher risk simply because I am armed.

And unless security is running some high speed system throughout the casino that can identify a weapon under someones clothing, no, they will not know I am armed. So far, at least according to a friend of mine that was in the industry, none of the casinos are using anything that has that capability on a regular basis.

I can absolutely agree with situational awareness being the primary defense.. I have left several places over the years that looked like a situation was going to go bad, or I had a bad feeling about it.

All that said, I generally do not carry when I am in a casino. For the simple reason that I feel generally safe there except from being accosted by some drunken idiot, and I know security is all over. That and I am usually drinking when I am in a casino as well.

I agree that we can disagree. And amiably as far as I am concerned. I would happily buy you a beer...but not if I'm armed in a casino.
__________________
"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich quick theory of life." - Theodore Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-18-2019, 6:45 AM
GuyFawkes GuyFawkes is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 364
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featureless View Post
...he might get shot by security who are already on heightened alert because they're responding to a threat in the casino and he's standing there with a weapon in his hand.
I'm not sure where you came up with this idea that if there's a threat in the casino and you have a CCW you automatically have to pull your gun out and stand around in the middle of the casino waving it around. Obviously that would be stupid and I don't know anyone that has suggested that other than you. I carry for personal defense, not to augment the hotel's security patrol. If there was a situation where I couldn't escape and the only solution was to take down the threat then that's when I would pull out my CCW and use it. I'm sure in that scenario you would rather have a gun than not have one. Not sure why this is so controversial to you.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 02-23-2019, 11:42 AM
lupuseven lupuseven is offline
Adventure Enthusiast
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 39
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Im in vegas working 90-100 days a year...
The only "negative" experience I have had regarding CCW is once at the Cosmo specifically whatever that club is upstairs. I have been there for a week now working on an event up there. This day is when the event is running. They brought out the metal detectors the day the event started for that club only. First couple days I showed them my CCW card for NV and said "Im working the show and I have this going on right now. " Guards let me though. This day it was new kid, who wasn't sure what to do so grabbed his Supervisor. Showed him the card and he said "you have it on you now?" "yes sir, 4-O'clock"... he pondered for a few secs and said "its against hotel policy to carry in the casino, why don't you just go put it in your room safe" then proceeded to tell me that he not against CCW and actually wishes that they would exempt us.

even at the Mandalay after the incident I have brought up rifle cases to my room, never Valet'd though. Most people in those places are pretty much okay with it, its a matter of whos watching them.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 02-23-2019, 12:42 PM
flyer898's Avatar
flyer898 flyer898 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 1,484
iTrader: 34 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featureless View Post
No, I just don't think it's a good idea that you're contemplating getting into a firefight in a casino especially while your family is with you. You're putting yourself, your family and everyone around you at a higher risk because you're armed IN THAT ENVIRONMENT. I wouldn't want you anywhere near me because you've made yourself a target. If you think casino security personnel won't notice that you're armed, you're wrong; there are too many tells and too many eyes on you IN THAT ENVIRONMENT. Your primary weapon is defensive and it's situational awareness, not armed response.

That's my opinion, I don't expect you to agree with it. I fully agree with the casino's decision to prohibit armed persons unknown to them on their property.
I disagree with you as well. I have been carrying daily for close to 40 years; situational awareness has always been my primary means of self-defense. A firearm is my last ditch defense after all else has failed.
__________________
ďNever argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.Ē Mark Twain
"One argues to a judge, one does not argue with a judge." Me
"Never argue unless you are getting paid." CDAA
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 02-23-2019, 1:31 PM
M1NM's Avatar
M1NM M1NM is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: West Covina
Posts: 6,180
iTrader: 48 / 100%
Default

Best way is quit wasting $$ going to Vegas. I quit when they added a Resort Fee to all the hotels. Vegas is NOT a resort destination!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 02-23-2019, 1:58 PM
Den60's Avatar
Den60 Den60 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: San Diego
Posts: 841
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUSTY View Post
Ultimately Casinos don't want anything to interfere with the flow of $$$$.
They instituted No Gun Policies to appease the protests and show they are doing something.

They will enforce it when doing so costs them less then not.

Metal detectors etc. cost money and remind people of the shooting.

Losing the business of law abiding gun owners also costs them money.

Making a scene interrupts the flow of money.

If you are printing or they become aware you may be armed they have to take action. The prudent action is to discreetly ask you to check it or leave. If you refused of course they would likely treat you no better then a pick pocket, but that is not their preferred outcome.

However most Casino's are not going to invest the manpower and expense of total compliance and wants to keep john Q public focused on the flashing lights.

With a few exceptions Concealed is Concealed. I carry in many a Casino. On occasion I have had Casino Security make obvious eye contact, nod and walk away, but I have never been spoken to.
Mandalay Bay has been sued for how much so far by the victims of the shooting? I don't really see this as hotels wanting to appease the protestors, more like they don't want some copycat to due the same thing at their hotel that would open them up to future lawsuits.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 02-25-2019, 8:12 PM
Dieppe42's Avatar
Dieppe42 Dieppe42 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: El Dorado County, State of Jefferson.
Posts: 100
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I was at Harrah's a month ago for CES. we had 4 large Pelican type cases with computers in them for our demo suite. Security came by the second day and wanted to inspect all of them. They mentioned Mandalay Bay as the reason, was surprised by the request.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 03-21-2019, 10:49 AM
CSACANNONEER's Avatar
CSACANNONEER CSACANNONEER is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Thousand Oaks
Posts: 43,139
iTrader: 130 / 100%
Blog Entries: 4
Default

Just saw this thread and thought I'd share my last Vegas experience. It was in Jan 2019, during SHOT. I ended up staying at a little place a few miles off the strip. It is a no frills hotel with a very small casino called Longhorn Hotel and Casino. I will recommend it to those who only need a bed to crash and nothing else but, it's cheap. Anyway, one early morning about 3am, I returned from a casino across the street and headed up to my room on the 4th floor. The elevator stopped on the 3rd floor and some guy got in even though I said it was still going up. He mumbled something and then asked about the SHOT Show badge I was wearing. I could tell he wasn't all there. When the door opened on the 4th floor, I got out and started down the hall. I noticed that he was following and was on heightened alert. I got to my door, looked back and he was gone yet, I hadn't heard a door open. Well, my key was demagnetized so I had to return to the front desk. When I got back to the elevator, there he was, charging his cell phone while tucked in the corner. He stayed there and I went down to the front desk. I told the front desk what was going on and that if I was a female, I would have been very uncomfortable. The desk insisted that I could not return without security escorting me. I let her know that I felt I could take care of myself, I had worked casino and hotel security in the past and I was armed at the moment. She still wouldn't let me return to my room without an escort so, I just sat in the casino until 4 rent a cops went up, got the guy and 86ed him from the place. Both the front desk and security had ZERO issues with me being armed and, if anything, they were glad I was. I refuse to go into any casino or hotel in Vegas that has a policy against legal concealed carry no matter how nice the place may be. I'd rather stay at a dive that welcomes me while CCWing. Yea, even the Longhorn doesn't allow open carry in their business but, I understand why and agree that there's no good reason to show your hole card until you're called so, for me, OC is a non issue.
__________________
NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
Utah CCW Instructor


Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 03-21-2019, 2:17 PM
Gryff's Avatar
Gryff Gryff is offline
CGSSA Coordinator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Castro Valley, CA
Posts: 11,732
iTrader: 59 / 98%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
I refuse to go into any casino or hotel in Vegas that has a policy against legal concealed carry no matter how nice the place may be.
So what did you do at SHOT, where CCW wasn't allowed by the Venetian or the Sands Expo?
__________________
My friends and family disavow all knowledge of my existence, let alone my opinions.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 03-21-2019, 2:27 PM
71MUSTY's Avatar
71MUSTY 71MUSTY is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 5,759
iTrader: 17 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featureless View Post
What is it you're expecting to happen if there's an incident/something goes down? You won't be in the communications loop of either faction and you won't be recognized by the other participants. You'll just be one chump standing there with a weapon, likely to draw fire from either or both. So you've not only placed your own life in danger, but anyone else around, near or behind you. Even if it were allowable to walk around armed in the casino, it's a stupid idea.
So if two guys kicked in the door to his hotel room and began raping his wife/family your suggestion would be for him to stand there and fap off because otherwise in an hour when security arrives they might confuse him for a bad guy??
__________________
Only slaves don't need guns


Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross


We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 03-21-2019, 2:45 PM
Featureless's Avatar
Featureless Featureless is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: SLO County
Posts: 692
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUSTY View Post
So if two guys kicked in the door to his hotel room and began raping his wife/family your suggestion would be for him to stand there and fap off because otherwise in an hour when security arrives they might confuse him for a bad guy??
That's a stupid statement and doesn't relate to the the discussion in this thread at all. But to answer your inane hypothetical question my suggestion is that he defend his wife and family with deadly force, immediately and without hesitation.
That's what I would do. I am ALWAYS within reach of a firearm in my hotel room.

The discussion in this thread is about walking around armed in a casino while thinking you're fooling somebody who might be a threat. You're not. You're drawing unnecessary and possibly dangerous attention to yourself and whoever is with or near you.
__________________
California Native
Lifelong Gun Owner
NRA Member
CRPA Member

"Those who seek absolute power, even though they seek it to do what they regard as good, are simply demanding the right to enforce their own version of heaven on earth. And let me remind you, they are the very ones who always create the most hellish tyrannies. Absolute power does corrupt, and those who seek it must be suspect and must be opposed"
~ Barry Goldwater 1964
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 03-21-2019, 4:31 PM
Gryff's Avatar
Gryff Gryff is offline
CGSSA Coordinator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Castro Valley, CA
Posts: 11,732
iTrader: 59 / 98%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featureless View Post
What is it you're expecting to happen if there's an incident/something goes down?
If you are scared of defending yourself with a firearm, then it is the best choice not to carry one. Personally, I am not going to not carry just because the police might mis-identify me.
__________________
My friends and family disavow all knowledge of my existence, let alone my opinions.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 03-21-2019, 4:49 PM
Featureless's Avatar
Featureless Featureless is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: SLO County
Posts: 692
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
If you are scared of defending yourself with a firearm, then it is the best choice not to carry one. Personally, I am not going to not carry just because the police might mis-identify me.
This discussion is about carrying on somebody else's private property without their consent, not whatever vague circumstance you're referring to.
__________________
California Native
Lifelong Gun Owner
NRA Member
CRPA Member

"Those who seek absolute power, even though they seek it to do what they regard as good, are simply demanding the right to enforce their own version of heaven on earth. And let me remind you, they are the very ones who always create the most hellish tyrannies. Absolute power does corrupt, and those who seek it must be suspect and must be opposed"
~ Barry Goldwater 1964
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 03-22-2019, 7:48 AM
CSACANNONEER's Avatar
CSACANNONEER CSACANNONEER is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Thousand Oaks
Posts: 43,139
iTrader: 130 / 100%
Blog Entries: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
So what did you do at SHOT, where CCW wasn't allowed by the Venetian or the Sands Expo?
I followed Clinton's advise.
__________________
NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
Utah CCW Instructor


Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 03-22-2019, 8:23 AM
broadside's Avatar
broadside broadside is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 726
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featureless View Post
The discussion in this thread is about walking around armed in a casino while thinking you're fooling somebody who might be a threat. You're not. You're drawing unnecessary and possibly dangerous attention to yourself and whoever is with or near you.
This applies anywhere and everywhere, with or without security or LEO presence. There is always a chance you are mistaken for a bad guy, but to me that risk is worth it if I need to defend my life or that of my family.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 03-22-2019, 8:27 AM
broadside's Avatar
broadside broadside is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 726
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

On the general topic of casino carry, Circus Circus in Reno has signs EVERYWHERE. Giant signs at the security stands by the elevators to the rooms, in fact larger than the "please show room keys" signs. I was not carrying those two days but did have my USPSA gun and gear in my bag
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 05-09-2019, 11:43 AM
gunsla gunsla is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Glendale, CA
Posts: 4
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Got to the Venetian with the cab, I noticed the bell desk door was open ajar and I could see clearly that there were bell desk guys handing luggage to 2 security guys dressed in black wearing blue nitrile gloves putting the luggage on some type of platform (maybe conveyor belt).
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 05-09-2019, 1:08 PM
SkyHawk's Avatar
SkyHawk SkyHawk is offline
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Nakatomi Plaza - 30th floor
Posts: 13,848
iTrader: 161 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsla View Post
Got to the Venetian with the cab, I noticed the bell desk door was open ajar and I could see clearly that there were bell desk guys handing luggage to 2 security guys dressed in black wearing blue nitrile gloves putting the luggage on some type of platform (maybe conveyor belt).
Interesting. I always handle my own luggage there.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 05-09-2019, 4:58 PM
xfer42 xfer42 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 386
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Ive always handled my own firearms in Vegas. Last time it was meeting up with my father and brother that required three trips from the cars with NFA weapons (SBRs, silencers and a machine gun). Wheeled a bunch of Pelican cases across the game floor of the Luxor. That was pre mass shooting though. Left the ammo in the car, of course. No way were we about to haul lead up to the rooms. If they would have asked, we would have told them its for the AVN awards.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 3:20 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.