Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Non-California Permits/Licenses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-California Permits/Licenses For out of State License/Permit discussion

Old 09-21-2018, 10:48 PM

Location: Up in the hills, above the beach in the foggy redwoods
Default My Lake County Oregon CHL Application Road Trip

I just got home a little while ago from my road trip to Lake County Oregon, and applying for my Oregon Non-Resident CHL (Concealed Handgun License).

I had been thinking of looking into an Oregon Non-Resident CHL, but the nearest Oregon Counties to me Curry, and Joshepine Sheriff Offices, do not accept/ process them...

So in reading the thread by mech12 and his road trip to Grant County, Oregon, it was posted in that thread info about the Lake County Sheriff's Office doing walk in Non-Resident CHL applications.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1465834

So using the info provided by 682berretta, and Baja Daze I called the Lake County Sheriffs Office and talked with Heather to confirm the info that had been posted here on Calguns and what documents were required to submit my application. Heather is very Pro-2nd Amendment being very helpful in assisting me over the phone, and answering any questions I had. I set a travel date for Thursday September 20 and asked if that date would work for her being in the office, and she confirmed and put me on her work calendar. I followed up with a phone call on the 13th, to confirm if she would be in the office, and went back over the list of required documents to ensure I had all of the paperwork with me.

http://www.lakecountyor.org/government/sheriff.php

I left the coast here on Wednesday morning Sept 19th, and drove the almost 300 miles of Hwy 299 to Alturas, and then north almost 60 miles on US Hwy 395 to Lakeview and found my Motel settling in for the night.

Thursday morning just after 9 am I entered the Lake County Courthouse and easily found the Sheriffs Office with Heather at the window. After presenting my required documentation, and the downloaded from their website pdf form for applying to the LCSO for a (resident or non-resident) CHL, and paying my $65 dollar fee, heather then took my photograph.

Then I was sent upstairs to the County Jail to be fingerprinted, but their 'Live Scan' system was broken. That meant the old fashion blue cards and ink pad were used, then by the time we had finished the process I had the 2 correctional deputies present chuckling and laughing due to our pleasant verbal interactions.

As I returned the 2 completed fingerprint cards, Heather informed me it would be usually 2 to 4 weeks for my license to arrive (plus for me to check it for errors), and that by Oregon State Law the CHL must be issued or denied within 45 days.

I will post when the Oregon Non-Resident License arrives in the mail.

Plus as many say here on Calguns, without pics it never happened.

Here are a few pics of my trip...

Above is the vehicle I drove while on the road trip.

After I left Lakeview I took Hwy 140 west to Klamath Falls, to Medford, then getting on I-5 towards Ashland, Oregon - entering California at Yreka on I-5 where the California State Ag Station waved me thru without a word and the the back of my truck inside the camper shell looked like I was packed for a 6 month Arctic Expedition, since I came down Hwy 96 along the Klamath River and camped out in the Klamath Nat'l Forest along the way.

As I was heading along the Klamath River Canyon I viewed this group with 6 rafts camped out in a spot which was visible for at least a half mile of the Highway.

1st pic they did not see me across the Klamath River up on the bluff/ pullout alongside Hwy 96.

Then they see me taking pics and the youngsters start yelling and having fun.

Then the dude in red shorts starts having a fit, telling me to go away.

I told him that they should not have set up camp out in the open, and if they wanted privacy they should have picked a spot behind trees away from being next to the Highway (2 lane twisty blacktop following the river canyon). He asked how I would know that, and I replied "Since I am a disabled fisheries biologist and had worked on the Klamath River for many years from the Iron Gate Dam/ Fish Hatchery all the way to the Estuary/ Mouth of the River where it meets the Ocean, I knew the river quite well".

Then as I was starting my truck to leave the pullout, a couple more vehicles showed up with several persons and cameras getting to have their 'Kodak Moment'!
Old 09-22-2018, 6:56 AM

Cool pics. I've always liked the big cowboy in Lakeview. Last time I was there was about three years ago. Used to always get a burger at the Burger Queen. Is it still there?
Old 09-22-2018, 10:01 AM

Yes, it is.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:58 AM

Do you need a reason to get a CHL in Or? I heard you need a valid reason like you are there a lot. Buisness or pleasure.
Old 09-22-2018, 1:28 PM

682beretta - The 'Burger Queen' building is there in Lakeview, but the business was closed/ with a For Sale sign on it on Thursday September 20th.

As far as having a reason to apply for an State Of Oregon CHL, I wont post my GC (reason) itself - Yet I only live 90 miles South of the Oregon Border and travel thru Southern Oregon for a few quick trips or sometimes more extended travels each year.

Heather at the LCSO told me that she sees people from hundreds of miles away from physically adjacent States on a weekly basis applying for or renewing their Oregon Non-Resident CHLs in Lake County.

Skip_Dog - Look at the the original thread about the road trip to Grant County that I referred/ linked to in my original post, and call Heather at the LCSO to ask her yourself... Heather herself gave me a few "hints" during our phone conversations as to what my general cause should sound like, since Heather is very Pro-2nd Amendment.

Last edited by Humboldt Leatherneck; 09-22-2018 at 2:23 PM.. Reason: fixed typo...
Old 10-30-2018, 2:32 PM

Well in checking my PO Box today October 30th - I finally received my Lake County Oregon Non-Resident CHL.

I applied on September 20th, and it was issued on October 26th - so 36 days total time for processing.

I would highly recommend for anyone to apply with the Lake County Sheriff's Office in Lakeview, Oregon for their Oregon Non-Resident Concealed Handgun License. Unlike Klamath County with their months long waiting list, you can do a walk-in application with the Lake County Sheriff's Office.

I feel the need to make the 90 mile trip up the coast to Oregon in the near future, to use my latest CCW License. This means my not having to stop before the border to unload and secure my firearms when leaving California when heading North into Oregon.

Old 10-30-2018, 5:43 PM

Driving through Nevada and following the state highway through Indian reservations I was wondering about the legality of it. I know Nevada has the same law as stated in your Oregon letter, but I figured I am on the right-of-way and it was all good. I avoided the gas stations/facilities that where off the highway but on the reservation.
Old 10-30-2018, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadside View Post
Driving through Nevada and following the state highway through Indian reservations I was wondering about the legality of it. I know Nevada has the same law as stated in your Oregon letter, but I figured I am on the right-of-way and it was all good. I avoided the gas stations/facilities that where off the highway but on the reservation.
broadside - I figured the same thing, but I will call Heather at the LCSO to make an inquiry in the next few days concerning being on a recognized Highway while transversing thru an Indian Reservation/ Tribal Lands.