Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 05-05-2015, 3:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisardd1 View Post
What would you recommend that is still on the roster. Kimber, HK, Glock, etc. What model?
I have an XDs .45 3.3 for sale that I won't gouge you on

I would be on my card, but it's full and stuck at three..
“There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.”
― Ayn Rand

Member: Patron member NRA, lifetime member SAF, CRPA, Guardian Front Sight
Old 05-05-2015, 3:57 PM

wisardd1, seriously, I think you have analysis paralysis. I get that you want to research and do your due diligence based on the many threads asking questions in your short time here.

R-E-L-A-X as Aaron Rodgers would say. Everyone is an expert. You have a greatly sought after and highly reliable pistol for concealed carry. Go to the range, take a class, go the range and go to the range. Clean it, take it apart and put it back together again.

not every "expert" has all the answers.
Old 05-05-2015, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sig-guy View Post
I prefer 17+1 rounds in my glock 19
See, this is where my problem comes in. My CCW class instructor Greg Block told me under no circumstance should I carry anything over a 10 round mag in California because they would go after me for it. I would love to use my 15 round mags in my 19 for carrying but I'm worried if I ever had to use it that they would crucify me for it.
Old 05-05-2015, 4:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Killer Sandwich View Post
See, this is where my problem comes in. My CCW class instructor Greg Block told me under no circumstance should I carry anything over a 10 round mag in California because they would go after me for it. I would love to use my 15 round mags in my 19 for carrying but I'm worried if I ever had to use it that they would crucify me for it.
LEOs, folks who owned standard cap mags before 2000 something, of course folks in free states and some others are not limited to 10 round mags.

Us in the regular CA serf class are only allow 10 rounds.
Old 05-05-2015, 5:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have no problem using my legal 10+ rind mags in my G17.. I'm not going to give up more rights "just because"
Old 05-05-2015, 5:55 PM

I legally own 15 rounders but when I talked to Greg Block he told me not to use them. He told me I would end up in a lot of trouble in court I ever used them (In a shooting )
Old 05-05-2015, 5:55 PM

Quote:
If it's a legal shoot you're fine.
It may be a talking point in the resulting civil suit though. I seriously doubt it would increase your exposure much there either.
Old 05-05-2015, 6:22 PM

glock 36 for me. very comfortable and tucks in nicely.

we have our own problems:
http://wyominggunowners.org/
Old 05-05-2015, 6:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I legally own 15 rounders but when I talked to Greg Block he told me not to use them. He told me I would end up in a lot of trouble in court I ever used them (In a shooting )
Then I disagree with Greg..

Might as well say you better not use and off roster gun.. or gun that has a caliber different from your DROS (SSE gun).. our half a dozen other things..

Better not use any ammo with a strange name. Shouldn't use hollow point.. if you train too much it will make it look like you were hoping for a gunfight..

My mags are legal pre-bans..
“There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.”
― Ayn Rand

Member: Patron member NRA, lifetime member SAF, CRPA, Guardian Front Sight
Old 05-05-2015, 6:47 PM
In Memoriam

Id go with a glock30 or xd compact service in .45

However, I personally prefer 9mm.
Old 05-05-2015, 6:51 PM

usp45compact,kimber tactical pro 11. If you are in the bay area I won't mind you testing mine out. With the hks,the 8rnds mag go very well,but I preferred 10rnd mag. It is funky covering that elephant foot.
I used the G code holster to appendix carry usp45c.Nice if you will be standing up or walking around,nightmare to drive with.HK45c I OWB/IWB with RavenCon.
Old 05-05-2015, 7:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Greg Block is an idiot AND a fool. I've dealt with him at length. Don't believe anything he says. This is the same moron who threw away our only chance at having a pro-RKBA Sheriff. For that reason alone I would recommend avoiding him at all costs, although I could literally go on for hours with other reasons.

Here's the deal: IF your standard cap mags are legally possessed (meaning you've had them here since before 1/1/2000), you are allowed to carry/use/juggle/etc with them all you want. If you have done any aggressive monkeying such as "rebuilding an entire preban mag with all new parts", you may or may not run into a hassle with your average cop. Some DA's are getting sensitive to the above idea and trying to prove it out with charges, so if you're on wobbly footing you might consider how wobbly.

Preban mags are often identifiable by style, so be careful but assuming you're talking about straight-laced, legit preban standard mags you should feel free to carry on.
Old 05-05-2015, 7:58 PM

I have a Glock 30sf on my permit.

I'd rather have 10rds of .45 vs 10rds of 9mm, since most us in CA are limited to that capacity.
Old 05-05-2015, 8:42 PM
Banned

Personally, I like Greg Block.
Old 05-05-2015, 9:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.kevin View Post
wisardd1, seriously, I think you have analysis paralysis. I get that you want to research and do your due diligence based on the many threads asking questions in your short time here.

R-E-L-A-X as Aaron Rodgers would say. Everyone is an expert. You have a greatly sought after and highly reliable pistol for concealed carry. Go to the range, take a class, go the range and go to the range. Clean it, take it apart and put it back together again.

not every "expert" has all the answers.
Kevin, I was taught a long time ago,"There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers!
Old 05-05-2015, 9:30 PM

Quote:
I bought a bunch of g19 and g17 mags many many years ago...before I had the pistols even, because I knew I would one day want them and there was someone smarter than me who told me to prepare for the ban.

Second, you should all read this thread:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=387409

Ownership, possession, and use of standard ("high") capacity mags are not against the PC. In 2014 it became illegal to ship high cap parts into the state. (though you will be royally screwed if you put a 10+ round mag in a rifle with a bullet button, or if you don't have a bullet button on your rifle, so in effect you cannot use a 10+ mag in any AR/AK).

Additionally, I think there is a statue of limitations of 3 years for transporting parts....so for you to be punished for anything they would have to prove the mags were purchased within the last 3 years, after 2014, and that you didn't use them to rebuild your mags out of state and come back to the state with the same number of mags you left with, and no extra parts (not even a baseplate).

Anyway...I'm not a lawyer, but this is my interpretation of what I've read here and at the calgunswiki

Last edited by sig-guy; 05-05-2015 at 9:34 PM..
Old 05-05-2015, 10:02 PM

My permit has all 45 auto. Glock 21, Glock 36, and Springfield Armory MC Operator 1911. All great reliable pistols and are "on roster" guns.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member

The two guns I shoot well, and compete with are both on my permit. One is an S&W M&P in .40 S&W, the other is a S&W M&P in .45. Both are full size guns with 5" barrels.

I carry every day, and am comfortable with either. But I carry at the 3 O'clock position, and I am 6'3" and 265lbs. so not an issue.
Old 05-06-2015, 1:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default .45 for CCW?

Quote:
It's amazing how people rave about him as an instructor but the same people come back here and spread bad info (FUD), saying they learned it from Block.

Last edited by Doheny; 05-06-2015 at 1:44 PM..
Old 05-07-2015, 5:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The Glock 30S would be a good option.

I have both a Glock 30SF and 21 on my permit, though I am tempted to get a .45 Kahr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maulerrr View Post
Mag-Ima-gettin
3/29 - 4/05
"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds

NRA - Endowment Member
CRPA - Life Member
Old 05-07-2015, 6:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albs View Post
You can make an argument for both for 9s and 45s. I wouldn't deny the fact that .45 may have more damage control than 9mm, but I prefer higher capacity because in spite of people's bluster on websites, most shots are missed in self defense. 45 is harder to control for most people and follow up shots may be slower compared to 9s.
I wouldn't make blanket statements. HK 45C has 10 round magazines, and concealable. Being DA/SA with a pretty short reset follow up shots are pretty quick. The recoil is very manageable if one practices (which can be said for any gun).

A good review is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APsqz5tV0HQ