Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 05-01-2015, 10:07 AM
Banned

Doheny, is the story above nonsense to you? Do mind highlighting the parts that are nonsense?

Last edited by wisardd1; 05-01-2015 at 10:09 AM..
Old 05-01-2015, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member

Location: Riverside County - where the rednecks and hillbillies meet the suburbs

Wisardd1, this is the Internet and you don't need mine or anybody else's permission to post whatever you'd like. If you insist on getting permission for everything you do here you won't last long. No matter what you do people are going to disagree or critique you. This forum requires thick skin.

Even without you finishing your story though, I'm wondering why you decided to do what you did. You identified a potential threat, enough to move your car to avoid the situation. Then you decided to disarm yourself just so you could have a beer? Why didn't you just decide to skip the beer in case something bad happened and stay armed? If there's a potential threat the last thing I'm going to do is disarm and then get buzzed.

Join the discussion at:http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=352777
Old 05-01-2015, 10:50 AM
Banned

There wasnt a threat when I walked into the restaurant, nor did I think there would be one. It wasnt until I observed there could be one that I rearmed. I did forgoe the beer. The situation is not clear cut, but real. Life is not always clear cut and dry. Sleighter, I am just trying to find my way through all that is involved with carrying, just like many other Peruta carriers. I am new at this, so I dont't have all the answers. I vie on the side of don't, at all reasonable costs. I so appreciated the OPs original post it encouraged me to post my story. I am also trying to weave in the basis of my thought process by providing links to what has influenced my thinking. Is that being a troll? If it is, perhaps this is not a useful site for me. The jury is out on that one right now. You may not like my opinions or what I write, but I don't think that gives anyone to be rude and arrogant (not that you have). I don't believe in the idea that this being the internets gives everyone the write to be an ***. I try not to, but do not always succeed, at amending situation with rude replys and those who make them. I don't think this site is designed to be the wild west where we can all hide behind our screens and take potshots at people because we don't agree. I have done this myself, but I am doing my best to avoid the Monkey dance. Read the Monkey dance, I think everone should know about it to check their selfs.

Last edited by wisardd1; 05-01-2015 at 1:26 PM..
Old 05-01-2015, 5:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

OP, way to stay calm and not loose your 'cool'. Sometimes a situation requires you to take matters into your own hands to save/protect life and other times a 911 call is the right call. Sounds like you made a great decision.
Old 05-01-2015, 5:24 PM

So if the guy swung on you would you have actually shot him?
Old 05-01-2015, 5:28 PM

So what happened you missed your beer and the bangers turned out to be friendly?
Old 05-01-2015, 5:55 PM
Banned

Some carriers have too much ego invested in the gun. Always a bad sign.
Old 05-01-2015, 6:26 PM
Banned

Sidewinder, yes! Then we all had cervezas and listened to mariachi music and brought out the pinatas!��
Old 05-01-2015, 6:39 PM

Finally! You finished

Everyone go home now nothing to see here. Back to your orginal programming
Old 05-01-2015, 7:51 PM
Banned

Got it. This is as good a place to stop as any. Thank you for your feedback sidewinder. It was a lot of work to write it anyway, But here is a parting thought for you: An empty bowl cannot take anything new in to it it, for it is full and can only reject anything that might be added.

Last edited by wisardd1; 05-01-2015 at 8:03 PM..
Old 05-01-2015, 8:47 PM

Dude it was a lot of work reading your rambling. Had to share it with the wife for a laugh. The OP told his story in 4 paragraphs you were on like 7 post and not done.
Old 05-01-2015, 9:03 PM
Banned

Cool, glad to bring some humor in your and your wifes life. I find that to be the ultimate complimet. Laughter, in my eyes is always the best medicine. Be happy.
Old 05-01-2015, 9:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisardd1 View Post
I have been carrying for a very short period of time. I desire to be an upstanding citizen, but I feel the need to be protected. The order goes like this: protect my family, protect myself, and protect others (if it appears they are going to lose their life, not their property becausr property is replaceable, life is not.
Just a suggestion on your priorities: switch #1 and #2. If you do not protect yourself first, you may not be able to protect your family. Here's what can happen when you don't protect yourself: http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/cr...shooting-spree

Best.
Old 05-01-2015, 9:37 PM
Banned

Heroics? You tell me. He was not threatened personally, and the perp was not killing his wife or children

After executing two Las Vegas police officers at CiCi’s Pizza, Jerad Miller entered a nearby Wal-Mart, at Nellis Boulevard and Stewart Avenue, fired a round in the air and ordered everyone to leave, setting off a panic. It was at that point, instead of running, Wilcox approached Jerad Miller from behind.

Law enforcement sources said Wilcox, who had a concealed weapons permit and carried a handgun, was ready to “end it” when Amanda Miller, who was behind Wilcox, shot and killed him.

This is where BigL gets major credit from me.

Last edited by wisardd1; 05-02-2015 at 7:32 AM..
Old 05-02-2015, 4:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Please try to focus. Regardless of the reason he intervened, he got killed because he didn't protect himself first.
Old 05-02-2015, 7:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy G. View Post
Being in Sacramento Kamala Harris would have hoped for the worse so she could use you as an example.

What does the fact that it happened in Sacramento have to do with Harris? The fact that her office is located here? The only example she'd be able to make would be in one of her Senate campaign speeches. She would have nothing to do with any prosecutorial role.
Old 05-02-2015, 7:12 AM
Veteran Member

Wisardd, you left your wife inside with the possible gangsters while you went out to get your gun? Why would you do that?
Old 05-02-2015, 7:15 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy G. View Post
Being in Sacramento Kamala Harris would have hoped for the worse so she could use you as an example.
Here's what happens when a CCW holder shoots someone in Sacramento. http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/cri...le2592153.html

And Harris had no input on it.
Old 05-02-2015, 7:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Bald_Guy View Post
Wisardd, you left your wife inside with the possible gangsters while you went out to get your gun? Why would you do that?
Old 05-02-2015, 7:18 AM
Banned

Dvr, I am confused by your statement protect yourself first Do you mean running out with everone else? That is what I would have done and allowed the police to handle it. "Ready to end it" by walking up behind him pistol drawn I think would have got him killed even quicker

I do get your point after re-reading your post. And yes, I agree with you

Last edited by wisardd1; 05-02-2015 at 7:38 AM..
Old 05-02-2015, 7:21 AM
Banned

Obg, It was the decision I made. Maybe not the best one. But you make a good point.
Old 05-02-2015, 7:28 AM
Veteran Member

Default I didn't have to draw today.

OP, I'm interested in the CHP officer's question. Are you certain that's what he asked? It's hard to imagine a cop asking an armed citizen, in essence, why he didn't do something with his gun rather than trying to de-escalate a situation in which one apparently unarmed crackpot and possibly tweaker and/or paranoid schizophrenic was verbally harassing him.

Last edited by Old_Bald_Guy; 05-02-2015 at 7:34 AM.. Reason: specificity
Old 05-02-2015, 7:31 AM
Veteran Member

And OP, I too will ask for the specific location.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:14 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisardd1 View Post
Dvr, I am confused by your statement protect yourself first Do you mean running out with everone else? That is what I would have done and allowed the police to handle it. "Ready to end it" by walking up behind him pistol drawn I think would have got him killed even quicker

I do get your point after re-reading your post. And yes, I agree with you
To be clear, tunnel vision focused on protecting your family against threats to them causes you to miss the threats focused on you...second gunman, accomplices, etc. Head on a swivel; 360 degree situational awareness. Protect yourself first; if you get dead, you can't protect them.

Best.
Old 05-02-2015, 2:53 PM
Banned

Got it
Old 05-02-2015, 3:58 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm glad it worked out ok but you should have called 911 when he said he would be waiting for you outside.

Last edited by L84CABO; 05-02-2015 at 4:01 PM..
Old 05-03-2015, 1:14 PM

Nice restraint but yeah I definitely would have dialed 911 sooner.