Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 04-28-2015, 10:17 PM
Banned

Default Heroics?

Is anyone else dismayed with the amount of heroics professed on gun sites. Personally I find it disturbing. It seems that alot of people are looking for reasons to pull out their weapon rather than find reasons not too. God forbid you go on to an open carry site, Clint Eastwood and The Unforgiven Galore! Maybe I am wrong, and I am sure that people will point that out, but my thoughts are "Alll I want to do is survive and protect my family" In otherwords, a dead hero is just that, dead! and that is enough for me to avoid rather than confront

Last edited by wisardd1; 04-29-2015 at 8:36 AM..
Old 04-29-2015, 12:51 AM

As do most of us.... If I make KABC news I might ring in... Concealed and tight lips is your friend.
Old 04-29-2015, 6:32 AM

My opinion is that a lot of the guys that make those comments are weekend warriors that don't have permits but wish they did. Society is probably better off that they don't.
Old 04-29-2015, 8:23 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Do you have some examples with links, OP?

Old 04-29-2015, 8:30 AM
Veteran Member

There are many things that dismay me on the Internet. I sometimes ask myself why I even go there... and then I realize I often come to the internet because there are many things that dismay me in real life!

I try to search for relief, unfortunately there is not much of it to be found anywhere

A CCW Permit does not deputize anyone to enforce the law... and you are right, it is dismaying to think that some people are confused about that.
Old 04-29-2015, 8:36 AM

This guy is ready to be a hero.

Old 04-29-2015, 8:42 AM
Banned

Very true Caliberetta.
Old 04-29-2015, 8:56 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoriousRacing View Post
This guy is ready to be a hero.

That guy IS my hero!

Old 04-29-2015, 1:25 PM
Hooligan
CGN Contributor

The 3 guys I can't stand the most that post up what they would do if blah blah blah are: Coulda, Shoulda, and Woulda.

I'm not out to be a hero. I just want to get home safely and with all my parts intact at the end of each day. If in doing so, someone wishes to thank me with the highest of honors, just get me a ride with the Blue Angels. That's all I ask in return.

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid" -Han Solo

"A dull knife is as useless as the man who would dare carry it"
Old 04-29-2015, 2:16 PM

If that is what you seek, that is what you'll find. The few do not represent the many.

My experience has been different than yours.

And I am actually disturbed by your attempt to magnify the minute number of CCW holders that behave poorly, into "a lot of people".
Old 04-29-2015, 2:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Some people have a "run away from the burning building" instinct, others have a "run into the burning building and save the occupants" instinct.

As a 20 year Military Veteran, an ordained Minister, and an ex EMT, I like to think I have the "run into the burning building" instinct.

While not looking for a reason to use my CCW weapon, I am not sure I could live with myself if I ran away from a dangerous situation just to save myself at the cost of the life of someone who needs saving.

I would like to think I would handle a situation like the CCW holder in the Kroger's parking lot who saw seven people beating up an old man. He drew his weapon, got them to stop beating the old man, and they all ran off (including the old man). No shots fired, nobody killed.

However, if any of them had decided that they could take on "the punk with a gun" cause "he won't shoot", it could escalate to the point of being the target, not the Good Samaritan. At that point, there is no choice but to defend one's own life against the attack of evil men.

If you haven't seen it with your own eyes,
or heard it with your own ears,
don't make it up with your small mind,
or spread it with your big mouth.
Old 04-29-2015, 2:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I will be very happy if I never have to ever pull my gun on anyone..

But that doesn't mean I would let something evil happen to an innocent if I can help.. but it's one of those "have to wait and see what the situation is".. most of the time it will fall into the "none of my business" catagory.

Remember the old saying "evil flourishes when good men do nothing" at least to some degree. We are LTC, not cops..
“There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.”
― Ayn Rand

Member: Patron member NRA, lifetime member SAF, CRPA, Guardian Front Sight
Old 04-29-2015, 4:18 PM
Banned

No offense meant! I am sorry you have taken "alot" to mean most! At Kroger I would have called 911. Consider: what if the old man had pulled a knife on those kids first? Now you are up for brandishing a weapon! What if they were all carrying? What if they started to spread out. What did that one study say about how fast a person being 21 feet from you can get to you vs how fast you can draw? Now, you have 6. With 6, one is going to get to you and probably shoot you with your own gun. This example is shear heroics of the worst kind. He is lucky he is not dead.

Last edited by wisardd1; 04-29-2015 at 5:58 PM..
Old 04-29-2015, 9:35 PM
Veteran Member

Default Heroics?

You're "up for brandishing a weapon" if the old man pulled a knife first and you were unaware of that fact and responded to a situation you reasonably believed involved a disparity of force by seven suspects against an old man? Where do you get this stuff? There are very specific elements to the crime of brandishing, and they are easily read and understood.

That said, I make no statement regarding what I might have done in a similar situation. This is no place for speculations based on insufficient data.

Last edited by Old_Bald_Guy; 04-29-2015 at 9:42 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 04-29-2015, 10:21 PM
Banned

Old bald guy, you stated my point exactly. There is not enough information for you or the guy who pulled his gun to draw his weapon Pull your gun and expect to lose everything you have. Until there is a Castle law is passed in California, don't do it unless you, a loved one, or a child is going to die. See the themes of my post? Lizard brain, not Monkey brain.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:23 PM

What about the hero with visible abs that is ready to take a stand against all ball thieving middle easterners?
Old 04-29-2015, 10:26 PM
Banned

Questionable heroics are the most powerful way to support the advocacy of gun control!
Old 04-29-2015, 10:39 PM

Better have your liability insurance premiums paid up.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:39 PM
Veteran Member

It's the internet. There are trolls and liars. It's the same for every site, ever group, etc.

Don't believe most of what you read. That doesn't apply only to the internet.
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 04-30-2015, 1:51 AM
Calguns Addict

It's the internet. Most of the guys you're talking about ( which is very few of us ) are just keyboard commandos and gamers. A few are anti-gun trolls looking for crazies.

It's easy to learn to ignore them.
Old 04-30-2015, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gl0ckc0ma View Post
What about the hero with visible abs that is ready to take a stand against all ball thieving middle easterners?
Racist much?
Old 04-30-2015, 5:20 AM

Who remembers this from 20 years ago? Anytime I see the video clips I wish someone with a CCW had put these a**holes down.

Old 04-30-2015, 7:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sig-guy View Post
Racist much?
Haha, I mean specifically middle easterners that like to steal balss only. Not all middle easterners are ball thieving sir. Not meant to be in general. I am far from racist.
Old 04-30-2015, 8:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Bald_Guy View Post
You're "up for brandishing a weapon" if the old man pulled a knife first and you were unaware of that fact and responded to a situation you reasonably believed involved a disparity of force by seven suspects against an old man? Where do you get this stuff? There are very specific elements to the crime of brandishing, and they are easily read and understood.

That said, I make no statement regarding what I might have done in a similar situation. This is no place for speculations based on insufficient data.
My thoughts, exactly!!!
Old 04-30-2015, 8:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gl0ckc0ma View Post
Haha, I mean specifically middle easterners that like to steal balss only. Not all middle easterners are ball thieving sir. Not meant to be in general. I am far from racist.
hah - my response was more sarcastic than serious
Old 04-30-2015, 8:22 AM

I must have missed something, 'cause I'm cornfused by this whole thread. Maybe I just need more coffee.
Old 04-30-2015, 8:31 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sig-guy View Post
Who remembers this from 20 years ago? Anytime I see the video clips I wish someone with a CCW had put these a**holes down.
I clearly do. That moment is what ignited my interest in firearms.