Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 04-20-2015, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TayR_1911 View Post
I use a pocket holster just to cover the trigger area and carry in a inside jacket pocket.

For me, hunched over on a sport bike appendix iwb won't work, and iwb anywhere from 3-9 o clock will more than likely show or possibly show due to the nature of sport bike jackets and riding position. So inside the jacket it goes. Haven't had an issue with it yet .
Either the Packin Tee compression shirt with holster and mag pouch will work, or a belly band will work. If you have a chance to stop by my shop in Mission Viejo, you can try both systems on. At least you will know if it's a reasonable and affordable alternative.
Old 04-21-2015, 8:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by civlaw View Post
Your motorcycle gloves, if they are proper gloves, will make you unable to operate your firearm safely, or at all. And if the gloves fit properly, you won't be able to get them off quickly. Therefore, there isn't any way around it; quick access to a gun on a motorcycle is not viable unless you sacrifice the safety of your hands. In the backpack it goes.
I don't know about this... Maybe I just don't wear proper gloves in your eyes. Mine have hard knuckle guards and some padding in the palms for comfort, but the fingers are relatively thin. I could shoot if I absolutely had too. Not like I'm expecting to be getting in a 100mph gun fight though

Plus I wouldn't want to be swapping my gun from my backpack to my waist in the target parking lot all the time.

OP I carry Appendix when I ride. Sounds counter intuitive but its the most comfortable position I can find. I drove 3 hours the other day and had no problems. Just make sure to get a really nice holster.

I drive a crotch rocket and am a bit out of shape too!
Old 04-21-2015, 12:13 PM

I carry appendix style every day on my motorcycle, about 135 miles round trip. Works just fine. Extremely unlikely I would ever need to draw my gun while on the bike, so I don't really worry about that, or which gloves I have. Just like a car, driving away from a scene or confrontation is always preferable. In many ways, it's often easier to do this on a bike as we are so manuverable.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcealedKalifornia View Post
I don't know about this... Maybe I just don't wear proper gloves in your eyes. Mine have hard knuckle guards and some padding in the palms for comfort, but the fingers are relatively thin. I could shoot if I absolutely had too. Not like I'm expecting to be getting in a 100mph gun fight though
While you won't be shooting while riding, you should take the glove to the range and shoot with it on. In addition, lots of dry fire drills at home with ALL YOUR GEAR ON!

Sure you may look funny doing it, but who cares.

If you may one day need it while sitting on your bike (perhaps in a parking lot getting ready to leave and someone approaches you at gunpoint telling you to get off the bike). You want to make sure you can properly and safely manipulate your tools.
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 04-21-2015, 1:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligaran View Post
While you won't be shooting while riding, you should take the glove to the range and shoot with it on. In addition, lots of dry fire drills at home with ALL YOUR GEAR ON!

If you may one day need it while sitting on your bike (perhaps in a parking lot getting ready to leave and someone approaches you at gunpoint telling you to get off the bike). You want to make sure you can properly and safely manipulate your tools.
^+1
Old 04-21-2015, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligaran View Post

One step ahead of you brother! Thanks for the advice though, I am sure some people could use it.

You are totally right btw. I can't believe how different drawing and shooting is when I am wearing my gloves.
Old 04-21-2015, 4:19 PM
Veteran Member

Default For my motorcycle riders that CCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcealedKalifornia View Post

I could shoot with my summer gloves.

http://tinyurl.com/alpinestars-smx3

I wouldn't be able to get the finger of any of my winter gloves through the trigger guard very easily. It'd be quicker (and likely safer) to take off the glove.

Last edited by Old_Bald_Guy; 04-21-2015 at 4:20 PM.. Reason: accuracy
Old 04-24-2015, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantar2 View Post
Either the Packin Tee compression shirt with holster and mag pouch will work, or a belly band will work. If you have a chance to stop by my shop in Mission Viejo, you can try both systems on. At least you will know if it's a reasonable and affordable alternative.
Ill have to check those out! Thank you!
Old 04-27-2015, 9:55 PM

I just stow mine in the ccw pocket of a maxpedition remora gear slinger bag. Quick access.
Old 04-28-2015, 2:52 PM
Veteran Member

I carry IWB at 3:30-4:00. Usually my P938 or XDs. My vest has a pocket for a gun, but I prefer a holster with retention that I have practice drawing from.
Old 04-28-2015, 3:29 PM

Glad this came up....I do long distance solo rides (multi-state, 1,000 miles+). I'm usually on very desolated highways. I've had A-holes veer into my lane coming at me or other dumb A-holey moves meant to bully or scare a solo rider. I've wanted to carry my G20...but with a holster, the muzzle is very visible under my riding gear and it's not really accessible. I've been thinking of a shoulder holster for such those occasions.

Thoughts?
Old 04-28-2015, 4:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

No CCW permit here but I have ridden motorcycles for 45 years.
I strongly advise against carrying anything small to medium size that's hard (cell phone, folder knife, leather man tool, gun, etc) on your backside area.
If you crash, you don't want anything being pushed into your back.
For me, an inside jacket pocket would be the best choice.
Old 04-29-2015, 2:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojisan View Post
No CCW permit here but I have ridden motorcycles for 45 years.
I strongly advise against carrying anything small to medium size that's hard (cell phone, folder knife, leather man tool, gun, etc) on your backside area.
If you crash, you don't want anything being pushed into your back.
For me, an inside jacket pocket would be the best choice.
This is generally very good advice.

I added a full length back protector to my riding jacket, and dont worry about my 3:30 carry since the back protector will spread out any impact across a wide area.