Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 03-12-2015, 10:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default DOJ FD 4501/BOF 4501, The Real CCW/LTC?

For those of you who have been issued a CCW from a California IA, apart from any department specific card (laminated or not), are you also being given a copy of the DOJ FD 4501 or BOF 4501 (same form different revision dates)?

I was unaware, until today, but after a 30 minute phone call with a Cal DOJ Deputy Attorney General (they called me) that the FD 4501 is the actual uniform state-wide CCW/LTC that must be in a licensees possession when carrying.

All this time, had had been wrongly assuming IA's could devise their own license scheme, as long as it contained that which was required by law, as your actual CCW/LTC.

What's been your experience? I'm curious.

For those who are interested or curious, I uploaded an image that is the result of a PRA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fd4501.jpg (79.6 KB, 305 views)

Last edited by msternin; 03-12-2015 at 4:13 PM..
Old 03-12-2015, 10:36 AM

Yes I received a 4501 with my CCW I got a laminate hard copy of my picture ID and a 4501 forum also to carry
Old 03-12-2015, 10:50 AM

Thanks - I'm in OC, I don't have that document, and it's the first I ever heard of it.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:59 AM

+1 for OC CCW permit holder who only received a permit, and not a 4501. All of my friends who were issued permits in OC have not received a 4501 so I suspect it's not mandatory.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:01 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Right. The 'rice paper' is THE license. 'Hard cards' make more sense, but until DOJ mandates those, in some places they might not be accepted.

PC 26175 -
Quote:
26175. (a) (1) Applications for licenses, applications for
amendments to licenses, amendments to licenses, and licenses under
this article shall be uniform throughout the state, upon forms to be
prescribed by the Attorney General.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Gregg Easterbrook’s “Law of Doomsaying”: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away — soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Right. The 'rice paper' is THE license. 'Hard cards' make more sense, but until DOJ mandates those, in some places they might not be accepted.

PC 26175 -
Gotcha. That being said, I can't imagine that a county can say that an OC issued permit is not valid. Especially since that's all we've been issued.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:05 PM

I was told flat out the 4501 is your permit the other one is not.
just an extra ID.
The 4501 has your thumb print on it
Old 03-12-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez2b View Post
I was told flat out the 4501 is your permit the other one is not.
just an extra ID.
The 4501 has your thumb print on it
In OC the back of your permit has your thumb print.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:32 PM
Administrator

I wish my IA would give out hard cards; the rice paper 4501 is all I've ever been given and y'all better believe that thing will self destruct in a wallet.

I have a perfect Burning Man attendance record: zero.

You do know there are more guns in the country than there are in the city.
Everyone and their mums is packin' round here!
Like who?
Farmers.
Who else?
Farmers' mums.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout_fear_me View Post
Gotcha. That being said, I can't imagine that a county can say that an OC issued permit is not valid. Especially since that's all we've been issued.
According to the Cal DAG, who referenced the same penal code as did the Librarian, the "rice paper" FD 4501 is your actual CCW that any licensee must be in possession of when carrying. That said, it's unlikely you'd get hemmed up within or outside of your IAs jurisdiction, but that's not to say an overly aggressive LEO couldn't try and hem you up for failing to be in possession of your standardized/uniform state-wide CCW form.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
In OC the back of your permit has your thumb print.
Doesn't matter, the FD 4501 is your permit. Anything else is extra as the DOJ, at this time, can not mandate IAs to include such things such as pictures according to the Cal DAG I spoke with. She noted some IAs are not as financially well off than others that may have fancy plastic card printers with enhanced capabilities.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterBoreGunner View Post
I wish my IA would give out hard cards; the rice paper 4501 is all I've ever been given and y'all better believe that thing will self destruct in a wallet.
PC 26175 allows the "rice paper" to be laminated. Based on it size, that may be an awkward fit in your wallet or pocket.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

It's possible the individuals in OC are not familiar with the providing a copy to you. After all there claim is likely to be that's how they were trained and their internal SOP may make no mention of the FD 4501.

That said and in keeping with agencies doing mostly what they choose to, according to the Cal DAG I spoke with, they do not receive much denial information from many of IAs in spite of the fact that PC 26225 requires the IA to submit that info to Cal DOJ. While not the administrative flaw of the century, it further goes to demonstrate that IAs selectively pick and choose what to do even though standing law states otherwise.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

PC 26175 -
Thanks. I'd hadn't heard to it referred to as "rice paper", but again, until today I didn't known that form existed until the Cal DAG informed me.
Old 03-12-2015, 1:32 PM
Banned

Riverside only has a 'hard card' as well. With a thumb print.

I never received rice, and I just dont care.

Go ahead and try and hook me up for not having 'the right paper'. Why dont you call the phone number printed on the license, give them the license number, and my name... and have my issuing agency TELL YOU "yup- it's a real license."

Who cares?

OC has a phone number printed on the license too- These phone numbers probably go straight to dispatch or a watch supervisor- some desk where there is ALWAYS someone 24 hours a day, and can verify the license.
Old 03-12-2015, 1:32 PM

I had this conversation with Melissa when I picked up the "new" credit card style. I previously had the rice paper FD 4501. She showed me the completed FD 4501 form in my file with all the same information as my issued card.

Said as long as the issuing agency has a copy of the 4501 form they can issue their own card as long as it contains all the same information.

Don't take my word for it.... Feel free to contact OCSD And ask.
Old 03-12-2015, 1:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msternin View Post
PC 26175 allows the "rice paper" to be laminated. Based on it size, that may be an awkward fit in your wallet or pocket.
Unless you have additional firearms listed on the back, or restrictions listed on the back, you can trim down the rice paper and fold it in half before laminating it. Doing this, mine just barely fits in my wallet, but it does fit.

If you have to access the back, you can laminate it, then cut three sides off of the plastic. The plastic that has heat bonded to the paper will protect it, but you will be able to open it to see the back side.

If you haven't seen it with your own eyes,
or heard it with your own ears,
don't make it up with your small mind,
or spread it with your big mouth.
Old 03-12-2015, 2:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decoligny View Post
Unless you have additional firearms listed on the back, or restrictions listed on the back, you can trim down the rice paper and fold it in half before laminating it. Doing this, mine just barely fits in my wallet, but it does fit.

If you have to access the back, you can laminate it, then cut three sides off of the plastic. The plastic that has heat bonded to the paper will protect it, but you will be able to open it to see the back side.
Cool. If I ever get to that point I will certainly do that.

As for now, I'm knee deep in the application process where the IA seems only to issue to "Friends" per the results of my PRA with them and the Cal DOJ. Although the number of applicants to this particular IA are low, the circumstantial evidence that I have obtained and dots that have been connected point towards abuse of power issues. -Anyway, a rant for a different thread. ;-)
Old 03-12-2015, 2:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
And that's what I've been doing; though I've had to trim it a wee bit to fit.

I have a perfect Burning Man attendance record: zero.

You do know there are more guns in the country than there are in the city.
Everyone and their mums is packin' round here!
Like who?
Farmers.
Who else?
Farmers' mums.
Old 03-12-2015, 2:53 PM
Made in the USA

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by postal View Post
Riverside only has a 'hard card' as well. With a thumb print.

I never received rice, and I just dont care.

Go ahead and try and hook me up for not having 'the right paper'. Why dont you call the phone number printed on the license, give them the license number, and my name... and have my issuing agency TELL YOU "yup- it's a real license."

Who cares?

OC has a phone number printed on the license too- These phone numbers probably go straight to dispatch or a watch supervisor- some desk where there is ALWAYS someone 24 hours a day, and can verify the license.
no phone number on my OC permit (hard card)... has thumb print though... interestingly, the signature doesn't look at all like mine (even on the crappy digi screen) - I've always thought they may have superimposed someone else my mistake
Old 03-12-2015, 3:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDamned View Post
no phone number on my OC permit (hard card)... has thumb print though... interestingly, the signature doesn't look at all like mine (even on the crappy digi screen) - I've always thought they may have superimposed someone else my mistake
HUH!!!!!! Been making some changes to them over time I guess...

I've only seen one OC card- it's nearly identical to mine. Different colors, different size font, but the same layout- same info. The card I saw, had a phone number on it- like mine does. It was relatively recent issue too- I forgot- maybe around July or so.
Old 03-12-2015, 3:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decoligny View Post

I heard of people laminating the full card and fold the entire thing in half after laminating-
Old 03-12-2015, 3:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDamned View Post
Quote:
HUH!!!!!! Been making some changes to them over time I guess...

I've only seen one OC card- it's nearly identical to mine. Different colors, different size font, but the same layout- same info. The card I saw, had a phone number on it- like mine does. It was relatively recent issue too- I forgot- maybe around July or so.
Mine was issued in February, there is no phone number on my permit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by el chivo View Post
I don't need to think at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Didn't realize. I try not to be political.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 03-12-2015, 3:26 PM

Mine was issued two weeks ago. Also no phone number.
Old 03-12-2015, 3:50 PM

Quote:
I heard of people laminating the full card and fold the entire thing in half after laminating-
Sac folded mine in half, laminated it and then gave it to me. Fits in my wallet pretty good.
Old 03-12-2015, 4:00 PM

So what is the difference between the "FD 4501" and the "BOF 4501"?

They look identical.
Old 03-12-2015, 4:10 PM

I am going to try and answer my own question:

The FD 4501 (10/99) I believe is the old "Firearms Document" 4501 Revised in Oct, 1999.

The BOF 4501 (11/08) I believe is the new "Bureau of Firearms" document 4501 revised in November of 2008

Addendum: Either way that piece of rice paper is a PIA to put into a wallet. You'd a thought with the amount of money it costs to get one of these things they could have made a permit that looks like a real ID card as opposed to a high school detention slip.

Last edited by Arrieta578; 03-12-2015 at 4:13 PM..
Old 03-12-2015, 4:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrieta578 View Post

They look identical.
Probably nothing. Could just be a form name update. I was told FD = Firearms Division whereas BOF = Bureau of Firearms, which is the newer term.

The IA in my jurisdiction probably has tons of the old forms since they only issue to "friends" of the chief and reserve officers.

UPDATE: I just looked at the revision date of the form Glendora uses and it's October 1999.
Old 03-12-2015, 4:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Addendum: Either way that piece of rice paper is a PIA to put into a wallet. You'd a thought with the amount of money it costs to get one of these things they could have made a permit that looks like a real ID card as opposed to a high school detention slip.
Perhaps if the State ever took over the LTC process, the license itself would be more akin to a driver license in make up.
Old 03-12-2015, 4:17 PM

Quote:

They look identical.
the firearms dept. at CADOJ used to be the "firearms division" (FD) but they were downsized to the "bureau of firearms" (BOF). so, you have a new naming schema for the forms to recognize the new dept name.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 03-12-2015, 4:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Perhaps if the State ever took over the LTC process, the license itself would be more akin to a driver license in make up.
Or an endorsement to a CA DL or ID - why carry two cards?
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

Gregg Easterbrook’s “Law of Doomsaying”: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away — soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Old 03-12-2015, 4:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Or an endorsement to a CA DL or ID - why carry two cards?

How great would that be?
Old 03-12-2015, 4:55 PM

Quote:
According to the Cal DAG, who referenced the same penal code as did the Librarian, the "rice paper" FD 4501 is your actual CCW that any licensee must be in possession of when carrying. That said, it's unlikely you'd get hemmed up within or outside of your IAs jurisdiction, but that's not to say an overly aggressive LEO couldn't try and hem you up for failing to be in possession of your standardized/uniform state-wide CCW form.
There actually isn't any law which says one must be in possession of the license while carrying....
Old 03-12-2015, 5:12 PM
Hooligan
CGN Contributor

Quote:
If Kamala had her way, the permit would be the size of the space shuttle and made of irn. You'd have to chain it around your neck and you can't leave home without it.

Back on topic, is OC and Riverside issuing nonstandard, non-state approved CCW permits?

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid" -Han Solo

"A dull knife is as useless as the man who would dare carry it"
Old 03-12-2015, 5:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej16489 View Post
There actually isn't any law which says one must be in possession of the license while carrying....
Just relaying what I was told by DOJ. Wouldn't be the first time the Government was wrong.
Old 03-12-2015, 5:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Just relaying what I was told by DOJ. Wouldn't be the first time the Government was wrong.
It is odd, but that's accurate.

OTOH, why would LEO believe you had CCW if you did not carry it? One of those 'duh!' moments, I think.
- Thomas Sowell

Old 03-12-2015, 5:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
It is odd, but that's accurate.

OTOH, why would LEO believe you had CCW if you did not carry it? One of those 'duh!' moments, I think.
To quote you "Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs", I don't believe that LEOs are under any obligation to verify or validate individual assertions of being a licensee if not in possession while carrying. If they want to hem you up under those circumstance they will. Not to mention it seems to be a common condition of carry from most IA policies that I've read.
Old 03-12-2015, 6:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej16489 View Post
Quote:
If you do not carry your license, how will you comply with the restrictions placed on the license during application? http://www.sacsheriff.com/Pages/Orga...cw-doj-app.pdf

Section 4, License Conditions and Restrictions (in pertinent part):
Quote:
While exercising the privileges granted to the licensee under the terms of this license, the licensee shall not, when carrying a concealed weapon:
• Refuse to show the license or surrender the concealed weapon to any peace officer upon demand.
• Carry a concealed weapon not listed on the permit.
• Carry a concealed weapon at times or circumstances other than those specified in the permit.

Any violation of these restrictions or conditions may invalidate the CCW license and may void any further use of the license until reinstated by the licensing authority. Any arrest for a felony or serious misdemeanor, including driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs, is cause for invalidating the license.
If you cannot show you are licensed, that the guns you are carrying are on your license or your license isn't otherwise restricted, one could anticipate a significant deviation from your desired course of life.

Best.
Old 03-12-2015, 6:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
If you do not carry your license, how will you comply with the restrictions placed on the license during application? http://www.sacsheriff.com/Pages/Orga...cw-doj-app.pdf

Section 4, License Conditions and Restrictions (in pertinent part):

If you cannot show you are licensed, that the guns you are carrying are on your license or your license isn't otherwise restricted, one could anticipate a significant deviation from your desired course of life.

Best.
Most Indubitably!
Old 03-12-2015, 6:40 PM
CGN Contributor

Fyi, San Bernardino county also does not issue the rice paper, just the hard card.