Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 04-26-2015, 10:42 PM

Big jake, do people look at you funny for open carrying in NM or Arizona?

Planning a trip to Zion national park in Utah, Grand Canyon, and NM. Just curious to know how people react to open carry.
Old 04-27-2015, 4:58 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: In rebel held territory. Long live the Confederacy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VL221 View Post
Big jake, do people look at you funny for open carrying in NM or Arizona?

Planning a trip to Zion national park in Utah, Grand Canyon, and NM. Just curious to know how people react to open carry.
Most people didn't even notice that I was carrying. Heck, I even forgot that I was carrying. The few people that did notice paid little attention to it. A small child with his parents asked his dad if I was carrying a real gun? I overheard it but pretended not to notice and went about my business with ZERO problems!

I LOC'ed in Grand Canyon and had ZERO problems. I wore a nice polo shirt and walking shorts. I looked clean cut and "respectable" and ZERO problems!
"Life Is Hard. Its Harder When You're Stupid"-John Wayne!
"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!
Old 04-27-2015, 9:44 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baeleron View Post
I just returned from a week long road trip thru AZ and NM. While in AZ I carried concealed non-stop, my first time experiencing that particular freedom. Definitely took a little getting used to, especially controlling the urge to keep checking that the shirt was still covering it. After a day or two it started to feel normal, and by the end I was even starting to forget that it was there.
It does take a bit of getting used to. OC is the same way, you feel like you're doing something wrong when in reality no one even cares. It's all the brainwashing from living in California.

Quote:
Unfortunately I couldn't carry in NM, although they do consider your car to be an extension of your home, and you can have a loaded weapon in the center console.
Easy fix. If you can't get a California CCW because you live in a county where they don't issue, get an AZ non-resident. Costs $60 plus cost of fingerprints (about $35) and you can get the license in about 3 to 5 weeks. Pretty easy and LOTS of states (like NM, UT, TX etc.) recognize AZs non-resident license.

Quote:
It was pretty sad when I had to stop at the CA border and lock it back into jail.
I feel you there. Looking forward to not having to do that when I come drive back in-state in 2 weeks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake View Post
Most people didn't even notice that I was carrying. Heck, I even forgot that I was carrying. The few people that did notice paid little attention to it.
I've OC'd in Virginia and a few other states and have found the same to be true. It's not that common but no one really seems to notice. Frankly when you see a guy with something black hanging off his belt your brain seems to automatically think "Cell phone" and you don't even realize what's there. I OC'd with friends and co-workers in VA for 3 days before any of them realized it WASN'T a cell phone on my belt.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love. -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Last edited by baggss; 04-27-2015 at 9:48 AM..
Old 04-27-2015, 9:53 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: In rebel held territory. Long live the Confederacy!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
It does take a bit of getting used to. OC is the same way, you feel like you're doing something wrong when in reality no one even cares. It's all the brainwashing from living in California.

Easy fix. If you can't get a California CCW because you live in a county where they don't issue, get an AZ non-resident. Costs $60 plus cost of fingerprints (about $35) and you can get the license in about 3 to 5 weeks. Pretty easy and LOTS of states (like NM, UT, TX etc.) recognize AZs non-resident license.

I feel you there. Looking forward to not having to do that when I come drive back in-state in 2 weeks!

I've OC'd in Virginia and a few other states and have found the same to be true. It's not that common but no one really seems to notice. Frankly when you see a guy with something black hanging off his belt your brain seems to automatically think "Cell phone" and you don't even realize what's there. I OC'd with friends and co-workers in VA for 3 days before any of them realized it WASN'T a cell phone on my belt.
This past Summer while in AZ I LOC'd into a Chase Bank in Pheonix. I had forgotten I was even carrying and while standing at the teller window transacting my business the male teller commented that he liked my Glock. I was instantly shaken because I wasn't sure if it was permitted to carry in a bank but the guy didn't even blink and I said thank you as I completed my business and walked out. No one cared!
"Life Is Hard. Its Harder When You're Stupid"-John Wayne!
"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!
Old 04-27-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake View Post
Most people didn't even notice that I was carrying. Heck, I even forgot that I was carrying. The few people that did notice paid little attention to it. A small child with his parents asked his dad if I was carrying a real gun? I overheard it but pretended not to notice and went about my business with ZERO problems!

I LOC'ed in Grand Canyon and had ZERO problems. I wore a nice polo shirt and walking shorts. I looked clean cut and "respectable" and ZERO problems!
That is good to know. I wonder if being on the younger side may make a difference. I will let you guys know next week. I will be going this weekend.

Also, I know there are many places that do not allow firearms in AZ. Let's say for instance you walk in Grand Canyon and want to eat in a restaurant or enter the visitor center and they do not allow firearms. Can I disarm myself by unloading the firearm and put it into my backpack?
Old 04-27-2015, 10:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VL221 View Post
That is good to know. I wonder if being on the younger side may make a difference. I will let you guys know next week. I will be going this weekend.

Also, I know there are many places that do not allow firearms in AZ. Let's say for instance you walk in Grand Canyon and want to eat in a restaurant or enter the visitor center and they do not allow firearms. Can I disarm myself by unloading the firearm and put it into my backpack?
I haven't found one place that really cared if you had a firearm or not. Outside an obvious posted sign, I would just carry away. In AZ, no one really cares you are carrying. Heck, I stood in line at a restaurant while OC'ing (it was 110 outside), next to 3 police officers. Not one peep from them or other customers.

As for off-body carry, refer to the Arizona ARS code.

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteQwill View Post
I haven't found one place that really cared if you had a firearm or not. Outside an obvious posted sign, I would just carry away. In AZ, no one really cares you are carrying. Heck, I stood in line at a restaurant while OC'ing (it was 110 outside), next to 3 police officers. Not one peep from them or other customers.

As for off-body carry, refer to the Arizona ARS code.
The visitors center in the Grand Canyon, as in all Nation Park/Monuments etc. is governed by Federal law, not state law. Those rules apply in EVERY Federally run park/monument. The Feds now abide by state law concerning OC or CC in Federal parks/monuments, but the buildings where the employs work are generally no carry zones.

http://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/manage...ndpolicies.htm

http://www.nps.gov/grca/learn/manage...arks2-2010.pdf

AZ has rules about carrying on school grounds (OC & CC) and I believe Tucson has rules about carrying (OC) in parks.

http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concea...ons/Questions/
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love. -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Last edited by baggss; 04-27-2015 at 12:39 PM..
Old 05-09-2015, 2:55 PM

Just came back from my trip yesterday. I open carried in 3 national park. Grand Canyon, Bryce & Zion in Utah.

Almost no one even cared I had a firearm holstered. But a lot of people that were hiking on the trail takes a quick glance and continue on. I did walk past a group of park rangers repairing a hiking path in Bryce, Utah. I noticed one of them was giving me a dirty look. But they didn't say anything.

I also was open carrying in the shuttle buses. I asked the park ranger prior and they said as long as you don't carry in the visitor centers you are good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-05-06 15.42.43.jpg (97.6 KB, 20 views)