Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 02-12-2015, 7:45 AM

Default Arizona travel

Thinking of taking a vacation trip to Az, I never traveled with a CCW before, would it be a inconvenience getting into areas and end up leaving it locked in car a lot?

Plan to hit tourist areas there...
Old 02-12-2015, 7:57 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: In rebel held territory. Long live the Confederacy!

Arizona is a Constitutional Carry State. No CCW needed. if you are over age twenty-one, legally present in the state, and not a prohibited person you can carry openly or concealed without a permit. Age eighteen to openly carry. The only place you would need a CCW to carry would be in an establishment that serves alcohol, however, you may not be carrying while consuming alcohol. Watch out for private property owners with no guns signs. Except for that you are good to go. If you are visiting the Grand Canyon Canyon you may carry openly or concealed as long as you have a CCW that is recognized by Arizona, which they all are. Carry in ranger station would be a no no. I've carried in the GC and no problems whatsoever. Carry safely and may you never need to use it in defense of your family or yourself!
"Life Is Hard. Its Harder When You're Stupid"-John Wayne!
"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!

Last edited by Big Jake; 02-12-2015 at 8:01 AM..
Old 02-12-2015, 8:00 AM
CGN Contributor

I lived in PHX for some time. Open carry was rare, but accepted. I seen very few establishments with no weapons signs (that said I wasn't on the look out for them). Very few places you would need to disarm.
Old 02-12-2015, 8:04 AM

Oh OK that's good. Last thing I want is to wait in line for something and find out I can't get in
Old 02-12-2015, 8:05 AM
retired Goon

Also, watch out for Indian Reservations.
Constitutional carry is generally a no-go on Tribal lands.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 02-12-2015, 8:56 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
Also, watch out for Indian Reservations.
Constitutional carry is generally a no-go on Tribal lands.
Good point, however, concealed is concealed and I've done it several times on Indian Reservations. CCW is fine with permit as I asked tribal LEO one time. They are generally fine with CCW with legit citizens, however, open carry will usually result in a visit from tribal police. At least that is what I was told by tribal LEO.
Old 02-12-2015, 9:15 AM

I plan to stay in Phoenix and drive up to grand Canyon and down to tombstone
Old 02-12-2015, 9:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NationsMostWanted View Post
I plan to stay in Phoenix and drive up to grand Canyon and down to tombstone
Carrying in Tombstone is great. I've been there many times and OC'd with no issues. Tourists are interested especially the ones from Europe as guns are foreign to them. If you've never been there before be sure and see the comedy version of the Gunfight at The OK Coral. It's hilarious. Also, visit Big Nose Kate's Saloon. She was Doc Holliday's GF and it's a great place to eat. They have a no guns sign there so you will need to leave the iron in your car. Same thing at the gunfight show. Other than that it's a non-issue. There are a few cool gun stores in town that are worth visiting. Tombstone Firearms is a must see!
Old 02-12-2015, 9:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake View Post
Carrying in Tombstone is great. I've been there many times and OC'd with no issues. Tourists are interested especially the ones from Europe as guns are foreign to them. If you've never been there before be sure and see the comedy version of the Gunfight at The OK Coral. It's hilarious. Also, visit Big Nose Kate's Saloon. She was Doc Holliday's GF and it's a great place to eat. They have a no guns sign there so you will need to leave the iron in your car. Same thing at the gunfight show. Other than that it's a non-issue. There are a few cool gun stores in town that are worth visiting. Tombstone Firearms is a must see!
Tombstone is a small town right so where the gunfight is that the whole area we would need leave guns in car?
Old 02-12-2015, 9:52 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Tombstone is a small town right so where the gunfight is that the whole area we would need leave guns in car?
It's a show and you need to pay to get in. Only the inside area that is where the show is put on is off limits to guns. It's private property so they have the right to do that. The rest of the town is public property and guns are no problem either concealed or open carried.
Old 02-12-2015, 9:56 AM

Quote:
It's a show and you need to pay to get in. Only the inside area that is where the show is put on is off limits to guns. It's private property so they have the right to do that. The rest of the town is public property and guns are no problem either concealed or open carried.
Is that whole area a big place to stay for a day or small area
Old 02-12-2015, 10:01 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The whole town is worth staying overnight in if you have the time. Definitely worth it. The main area of town is about one mile or so. Lots of stores to see. You can walk the whole town with no problem!

Also, be sure and see the original Boot Hill Cemetery. Many of the original characters from the old west era are buried there. No guns allowed there either but you won't need them. All the guests are dead lol!

Last edited by Big Jake; 02-12-2015 at 10:03 AM..
Old 02-12-2015, 10:08 AM
Banned

To expand a bit you may not carry inside a place that sells alcohol without a permit. Nor may you carry inside such a place with a permit if the place is posted with the proper sign. Nor may you carry on private property that is posted with any form of sign. Lastly, signs of either type carry the force of law in Arizona. Just ignoring them alone is committing a crime.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
The whole town is worth staying overnight in if you have the time. Definitely worth it. The main area of town is about one mile or so. Lots of stores to see. You can walk the whole town with no problem!

Also, be sure and see the original Boot Hill Cemetery. Many of the original characters from the old west era are buried there. No guns allowed there either but you won't need them. All the guests are dead lol!
The places that says no weapons that's just a sign there isn't a person who uses a wand on you right? Kinda like banks in California says no guns but no one checks

Yea I'll be sure make sure read signs though before going in
Old 02-12-2015, 10:12 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waking Heavy View Post
To expand a bit you may not carry inside a place that sells alcohol without a permit. Nor may you carry inside such a place with a permit if the place is posted with the proper sign. Nor may you carry on private property that is posted with any form of sign. Lastly, signs of either type carry the force of law in Arizona. Just ignoring them alone is committing a crime.
Agreed on all points!
Old 02-12-2015, 10:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
The places that says no weapons that's just a sign there isn't a person who uses a wand on you right? Kinda like banks in California says no guns but no one checks
There won't be anyone with a wand. Arizona is VERY pro gun and as long as you obey any no weapons signs you won't have an issue.
Old 02-12-2015, 9:58 PM

Quote:

Yea I'll be sure make sure read signs though before going in
If were splitting hairs "no guns allowed" by store owners, restaurants and such is really a request. Kinda like no shoes, no shirts no entrance. Or no dogs allowed. They can legally kick your CCW arse out but I doubt it. Open carry is a different story. Of course other then government buildings alike. Shooting on someone's private property ignoring his signs could get you in trouble... Common sense. I have a second home in Arizona, its rare to see signs posted. Depending on the city the residents would raise hell with the business owners. In Prescott I went into a jewelry store and for a watch battery, sign posted and he and I talked, his insurance company required him to post the sign. Yes I was packing. I was not going to remove my gun in a parking lot full of people while entering a jewelry store.

Last edited by Mark49; 02-12-2015 at 10:08 PM..
Old 02-13-2015, 5:20 PM
Banned

Again, gun buster signs carry the force of law in AZ. Ignoring one is committing a crime in and of itself. There's no splitting hairs about it.
Old 02-13-2015, 5:48 PM

If we lock them in a backpack unloaded does that count as not concealing or not a weapon?

I still always worry about locking it in my car with the car safes

Last edited by NationsMostWanted; 02-13-2015 at 6:03 PM..
Old 02-13-2015, 8:57 PM

I keep in touch with Arizona laws, and look im not willing to be the first one arrested to test this policy "ask to leave" I'll just not support these business.. State and federal private property I have no argument with Kinda a no brainer.
On private property/businesses with his posted sign, the owner or someone would have to ask you to leave. A report/complaint would have to be filed against you for business trespassing, so refusal to do so would then become this:

In addition, political subdivisions have limited power to prohibit the carrying of firearms in certain areas as described above. Carrying a firearm at a jail, correctional facility, juvenile secure care facility, or in a hydroelectric or nuclear power generating station is a felony. Carrying a firearm in any other prohibited area, absent any other concomitant criminal conduct, is a misdemeanor. Carrying a firearm on private property or in a private establishment where it has been forbidden by the owner or another person having lawful control over the property is not expressly prohibited by law, but is held to constitute misdemeanor trespass.[20] Carrying a firearm at a public college or university where it has been prohibited by the governing board is not expressly prohibited by law, but is held to violate provisions of ARS 13-2911, which prohibits "interference with or disruption of an educational institution". The restrictions pertaining to licensed liquor establishments do not apply to liquor stores or other stores that sell only closed containers of alcohol for consumption off the premises.[

Last edited by Mark49; 02-13-2015 at 9:00 PM..
Old 02-13-2015, 9:05 PM

I was under the impression that I won't need a permit to ccw at the Grand Canyon. We are hiking for a few days and it would be nice to coverage.
Old 02-13-2015, 9:10 PM

I was in AZ over Christmas. saw lots of open carry people..... Nobody looks twice.

Got some cash at a bank branch and the teller was carrying. Love AZ
Old 02-14-2015, 12:13 AM

From the Arizona state website "Grand Canyon"......

Firearm Information

As of February 22, 2010, a new federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms in this park.

It is the responsibility of visitors to understand and comply with all applicable state, local, and federal firearms laws before entering this park. As a starting point, please visit our state's website:
Old 02-14-2015, 7:39 AM

I read that as if I'm legally able to own a gun, I can OC/CC within the park. Arizona is a constitutional carry state. Am I wrong in this?
Old 02-14-2015, 8:34 AM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

You can get an AZ permit by mail for less than $100, good for 5 years. If you already have a CA CCW all you need to send is a copy, no extra training required. Maybe worth it if you have time before your vacation (60 days or so?).

With a AZ CCW in AZ you will be legal in gun free school zones, legal to enter restaurants that serve alcohol, and many business have gun buster signs that say 'no guns except CCW holders'. It also gets you carry privileges in ten more states than just a CA CCW alone.
Old 02-15-2015, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
I lived in PHX for some time. Open carry was rare, but accepted. I seen very few establishments with no weapons signs (that said I wasn't on the look out for them). Very few places you would need to disarm.
Hell, I've lived in PHX on 40th & McDowell, OC was just normal. The old lady down stairs from me walked her dog once in the AM and once at night, with a Beretta 92f on her hip. I've been in circle K with a few here and here OC, this was before the constitutional carry allowed for permitless CC, I imagine my old neighbor still OC's her beretta yet, she was pretty feisty. Who knows, maybe she's passed on by now.

Back then, I open carried, it was what we had. Carried to work, carried home. Work had a no carry policy, guns got locked up on the job site. I guess they didn't want us blasting each other over who's wife made who a better lunch. Lucky for my buddy Steve, his wife always gave him good chow, my wife was a ****ty cook, I might have robbed Steve of his lunch had I been packin'. Dirty Steve and his damn ham sandwich. What nerve, DRAW!
Old 02-15-2015, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky.Hawk View Post
You can get an AZ permit by mail for less than $100, good for 5 years. If you already have a CA CCW all you need to send is a copy, no extra training required. Maybe worth it if you have time before your vacation (60 days or so?).

With a AZ CCW in AZ you will be legal in gun free school zones, legal to enter restaurants that serve alcohol, and many business have gun buster signs that say 'no guns except CCW holders'. It also gets you carry privileges in ten more states than just a CA CCW alone.
60 bucks to the DPS, around 15.00 to the local cop shop to roll two print cards, the postage will set ya back a few bucks.

Yes, they love ya just fine if you have a CA gun permit ANYTHING. They're nice as can be too. They really, really WANT your 60 bux. They're not shy about it. If I weren't married, I might have asked the lady on the phone out, she sounds pretty cute. Get lunch, a kiss and a CCW permit. I love Arizona.
Old 02-15-2015, 3:06 AM

Az recognizes all states CCW so you are good to go in the Grand Canyon. In addition since AZ is a concealed and open carry state I don't believe you need a CCW in the Grand Canyon.
Old 02-15-2015, 6:08 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvwhtgrls View Post
I was under the impression that I won't need a permit to ccw at the Grand Canyon. We are hiking for a few days and it would be nice to coverage.
Incorrect. You will need a CCW that is recognized by Arizona, which they all are as it is a national park.

Last edited by Big Jake; 02-15-2015 at 1:37 PM..
Old 02-15-2015, 2:03 PM
Banned

Actually iirc no permit is required in AZ national parks since carrying without one is covered under state law. The federal prohibition about carrying in fed buildings and where fed employees work remains however.
Old 02-15-2015, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Incorrect. You will need a CCW that is recognized by Arizona, which they all are as it is a national park.
Arizona is a constitutional state and Nation Parks are required to follow the laws of the state in which they reside in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waking Heavy View Post
Actually iirc no permit is required in AZ national parks since carrying without one is covered under state law. The federal prohibition about carrying in fed buildings and where fed employees work remains however.
I've read that multiple times as well.
Old 02-15-2015, 8:50 PM

http://www.nps.gov/grca/parkmgmt/upl...arks2-2010.pdf

http://www.floridaconcealedcarry.com...e-Grand-Canyon

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...t-Grand-Canyon
Old 02-16-2015, 6:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I stand corrected!
Old 02-19-2015, 8:37 PM

If your in AZ visiting can you get your CCW quicker while your there? Anyone know where?
Old 02-19-2015, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal033 View Post
If your in AZ visiting can you get your CCW quicker while your there? Anyone know where?
I did mine by mail and they mailed me the permit
Old 02-24-2015, 9:32 AM

So I have what might be a stupid question. My local gun range has classes for Utah CCW and I was thinking about getting that permit. My question what is the benefit in getting a Utah or AZ CCW permit if our Amazing liberal hijacked state does not recognize it and I don't travel that much out of state yet?

USN 2000-2004
USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72) WestPac 2002
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
Old 03-28-2015, 9:15 PM

So I'm planning to do this trip and it's coming up in April! Still not sure how I plan to do this if I plan to carry.
Old 03-30-2015, 2:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
So I'm planning to do this trip and it's coming up in April! Still not sure how I plan to do this if I plan to carry.
As I stated above. You can carry openly or concealed without a permit in AZ. Permit would only be needed in a place thats serves alcohol, however, you may NEVER consume alcohol while carrying. Just carry however you want openly or concealed but make sure your firearm is properly holstered. Thats it. AZ is the most firearm friendly state in the country and you won't have a problem as long as you are law abiding and use common sense!

If you want to talk with me about carrying in AZ PM me your telephone number and I'll be more than happy to talk with you about it. I've carried MANY times in AZ and i've NEVER had a problem!
Old 03-30-2015, 3:00 PM

I just returned from a week long road trip thru AZ and NM. While in AZ I carried concealed non-stop, my first time experiencing that particular freedom. Definitely took a little getting used to, especially controlling the urge to keep checking that the shirt was still covering it. After a day or two it started to feel normal, and by the end I was even starting to forget that it was there.

Unfortunately I couldn't carry in NM, although they do consider your car to be an extension of your home, and you can have a loaded weapon in the center console.

It was pretty sad when I had to stop at the CA border and lock it back into jail.
Old 03-30-2015, 3:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baeleron View Post
I just returned from a week long road trip thru AZ and NM. While in AZ I carried concealed non-stop, my first time experiencing that particular freedom. Definitely took a little getting used to, especially controlling the urge to keep checking that the shirt was still covering it. After a day or two it started to feel normal, and by the end I was even starting to forget that it was there.

Unfortunately I couldn't carry in NM, although they do consider your car to be an extension of your home, and you can have a loaded weapon in the center console.

It was pretty sad when I had to stop at the CA border and lock it back into jail.
NM is an open carry state an you can open carry without a ccw. I've done it several times there, including while in Albaquerque without a problem!