Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 07-07-2019, 6:38 AM

Default Who Owns A New Inland M1 Carbine?

Yes, I did a search here and didn't find anything.

Yes, I realize it doesn't qualify as a Curio or Relic, but I figured that people who read and post in this section will be knowledgeable about the "new" Inland Manufacturing.

My question: who owns one of their M1 Carbines, and what is your opinion of their product? I own a 1943 Winchester M1 Carbine but don't want to shoot it. I'm thinking about buying a new Inland M1 Carbine as a shooter.

“You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We’ll preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we’ll sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness. ” (Ronald Reagan, 1964)
Old 07-07-2019, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

Tagged...I own a couple WW2 era US M1 carbines... i love to shoot them but view them as historical pieces that continue to appreciate. I have a IMI M1 carbine that pulls duty as a "truck gun" when 4x out in the desert and as a "trunk gun" for long road-trips. It is an IMI receiver and mostly GI parts however, I am not that pleased with the build...rear sight has to be hard left to zero.

I am looking for a modern commercial knock off as well...

Last edited by OCEquestrian; 07-07-2019 at 10:04 AM..
Old 07-07-2019, 10:12 AM

I have heard and read older comments from years back that it has issues. But I saw the review by Nut N Fancy, he liked the Auto Ordnance model.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:50 AM

Here's the Inland Manufacturing website. They're in Dayton, Ohio.

https://www.inland-mfg.com/index.html

“You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We’ll preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we’ll sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness. ” (Ronald Reagan, 1964)
Old 07-07-2019, 11:00 AM
I need a LIFE!!

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_inland.html

— Michael
Old 07-07-2019, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elSquid View Post
Not a very good review...
Old 07-07-2019, 11:52 AM

Do not own a aftermarket Inland, so cannot help you there. I do own a mid 1960s Universal Aftermarket M1 Carbine however,mine is chambered in .256 Winchester though. But pretty much the same as a .30 Carbine one.

I say this because if you want just a aftermarket shooter, early Universals are great. They used alot of GI parts when they made the early ones. Avoid the later ones with the phony skeleton slides at all costs. Early ones used GI slides and quite a few other parts also.

A couple other 60s aftermarket ones are not terrible either. As long as you get a early one again, that used alot of GI parts yet.

The Universal is just a lower priced aftermarket option compared to the New Aftermarket Inland. Which if it means anything at all I would not buy myself.

If I was going to spend that type of cash for the new Inland. I would spend a few bucks more for a low condition GI Shooter. Good prices on those yet if you look around.
Old 07-07-2019, 12:03 PM

I've heard that both the New Inland and the Auto Ordinance get the receivers from the same Co.
same boat as you... have a nice 1943 QH , and don't want to shoot it much....been looking and reading up the AO carbines...still in the air about a "new" one.
Old 07-07-2019, 12:09 PM

I ordered one from Gallery of Guns late one night and promptly forgot all about it. The FFL finally called me like 9 months later and asked if I was picking it up or what. It's ok, not great. Smooths out some after a few hundred rounds. You need to keep it pretty wet though. I have a few oldies and one other new one, a Fulton Armory. Which is fantastic, but like 50% more than the Inland. The Inland would be fine if it was 2/3 the $$$$.
Old 07-07-2019, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewN View Post
I ordered one from Gallery of Guns late one night and promptly forgot all about it. The FFL finally called me like 9 months later and asked if I was picking it up or what. It's ok, not great. Smooths out some after a few hundred rounds. You need to keep it pretty wet though. I have a few oldies and one other new one, a Fulton Armory. Which is fantastic, but like 50% more than the Inland. The Inland would be fine if it was 2/3 the $$$$.
SO you have a Fulton Armory M1 carbine that runs flawlessly out of the box? I just looked, Fulton Armory M1's MSRP is as high as a V-Good to excellent WW2 GI gun

Last edited by OCEquestrian; 07-07-2019 at 12:42 PM..
Old 07-07-2019, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEquestrian View Post
SO you have a Fulton Armory M1 carbine that runs flawlessly out of the box? I just looked, Fulton Armory M1's MSRP is as high as a V-Good to excellent WW2 GI gun
Yep, Fulton's are pricey. Well worth it in my opinion, they are put together extremely well. And they are new, so you aren't hurting the value to shoot them. But certainly not as desirable as a V-Good/Excellent original obviously. Top notch M14s,Garands and AR pattern rifles as well. Easily worth 1.5x the Inland,which is way overpriced.

Edit: And I've never seen a Carbine that ran "flawlessly", like Glock flawlessly. So magazine dependent. But FA builds theirs primarily for competition and mine is the best running carbine I have. If you aren't in a hurry (I am slammed all summer, so my availability is iffy) I'm happy to let you shoot mine sometime. I banished the Inland to the cabin, but I assure you you aren't missing anything.

Last edited by DrewN; 07-07-2019 at 1:43 PM..
Old 07-07-2019, 2:14 PM
Calguns Addict

I watched this video a while ago and found some information that I had not known about the M1 carbines before, especially regarding reliability and post-war commercial made copies...

https://youtu.be/FF0qH_zvfdU
Old 07-07-2019, 2:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewN View Post
Yep, Fulton's are pricey. Well worth it in my opinion, they are put together extremely well. And they are new, so you aren't hurting the value to shoot them. But certainly not as desirable as a V-Good/Excellent original obviously. Top notch M14s,Garands and AR pattern rifles as well. Easily worth 1.5x the Inland,which is way overpriced.

Edit: And I've never seen a Carbine that ran "flawlessly", like Glock flawlessly. So magazine dependent. But FA builds theirs primarily for competition and mine is the best running carbine I have. If you aren't in a hurry (I am slammed all summer, so my availability is iffy) I'm happy to let you shoot mine sometime. I banished the Inland to the cabin, but I assure you you aren't missing anything.
I appreciate the invitation. I belong to West End Gun Club.. any chance you are a member as well?
Old 07-07-2019, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elSquid View Post
Great resource..thanks!

Old 07-07-2019, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEquestrian View Post
I appreciate the invitation. I belong to West End Gun Club.. any chance you are a member as well?
I am not, I'm all the way down on the Costa Mesa/Newport/HB border. I wasn't sure I'd get enough use out of it considering the drive. I don't get out much these days unfortunately because of work. I can't wait to move somewhere more rural.

Edit: So, I just pulled the Inland box down from the rafters since I'm sitting right here, and I must say it is a top notch box. Cut foam, soft foam, sling and oiler, lock, manuals and a couple stickers. Too bad the rifle isn't that great. I mean, it's fine, just maybe not $1K fine.

Last edited by DrewN; 07-07-2019 at 2:43 PM..