Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 06-26-2019, 7:35 PM

Default Colt revolver help/info/etc.

So I picked up a Colt DS with issues that were solved with a spring replacement (1960' eara). No DA only SA with manual cylinder turn IIRC. I bought two springs from Numrich; one new and one old stock. The old stock produced no change while the NS brought it to life.
I have another Official Police 38 spl that started binding while shooting. I discontinued shooting, cleaned it up, and seed to be ok with dry fire. But this one's out of state; not easily used for a test. It's PD stamped and I don't think it was used hard.
I also have a Colt Police Positive 38 S&W with pearl grips that was a nice shooter until it also bouneded up.
So now I'm like WTF but I think the big issue is with the spring. The metal parts should be good unless abused/scarred/altered? Iím still doing diagnosis but Iím thinking a new spring should fix the issue.
Accordingly, I'm thinking spring replacement first; timing starts with energy/motion. The mechanics should follow?
Let me know what you think CalGuns!

Let's go get Angel.....
Why not?
Old 06-26-2019, 8:59 PM

Try some clp fencing inside the frame.
Take stocks off and spray inside until the gunk runs out.
No need to remove side plate.
That might help..
Also check for end shake.

Research at coltforum
Old 06-26-2019, 11:56 PM
Veteran Member

Binding up usually happens when the ejector rod comes un-threaded. Next thing I would look at is the safety lever inside, they can wear and slip off. There's a dozen other things I can think of too. A word of caution, replacing parts in older Colts can be a drop in, or normally, have to be fitted, which changes the fit to something else, that changes the fit to something else, etc.
Old 06-27-2019, 5:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TI-Tick View Post
So I picked up a Colt DS with issues that were solved with a spring replacement (1960' eara). No DA only SA with manual cylinder turn IIRC. I bought two springs from Numrich; one new and one old stock. The old stock produced no change while the NS brought it to life.
I have another Official Police 38 spl that started binding while shooting. I discontinued shooting, cleaned it up, and seed to be ok with dry fire. But this one's out of state; not easily used for a test. It's PD stamped and I don't think it was used hard.
I also have a Colt Police Positive 38 S&W with pearl grips that was a nice shooter until it also bouneded up.

So now I'm like WTF but I think the big issue is with the spring. The metal parts should be good unless abused/scarred/altered? Iím still doing diagnosis but Iím thinking a new spring should fix the issue.
Accordingly, I'm thinking spring replacement first; timing starts with energy/motion. The mechanics should follow?

Let me know what you think CalGuns!
The rebound lever rides on the hand and the V mainspring powers not only the hammer but the hand. When reassembling it's easy to not fully engage the hand with the rebound lever. That might account for the cylinder not being turned. Then again, if the hand and V spring aren't engaged it's pretty touch to get the sideplate back on.

If the hand and rebound lever don't engage you also get a very soft hammer drop.

My guess is a combination of cleaning, perhaps spring replacement and proper reassembly would correct things. Colt's inners are highly interdependent. Fiddling with one part usually has an impact on another. You have to know not only what the part your playing with does, but what the other parts do too.
Old 07-02-2019, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denpython View Post
Try some clp fencing inside the frame.
Take stocks off and spray inside until the gunk runs out.
No need to remove side plate.
That might help..
Also check for end shake.

Research at coltforum
Trying this first with a CLP enema. Tried it through the topside but getting more aggressive now. Thought the stocks were plastic but nope; they are pearl

My S&W's never bind but I've experienced this with Colt DA's.

More enema and more research.

Thanks

Let's go get Angel.....
Why not?
Old 07-02-2019, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletcher View Post
The rebound lever rides on the hand and the V mainspring powers not only the hammer but the hand. When reassembling it's easy to not fully engage the hand with the rebound lever. That might account for the cylinder not being turned. Then again, if the hand and V spring aren't engaged it's pretty touch to get the sideplate back on.

If the hand and rebound lever don't engage you also get a very soft hammer drop.

My guess is a combination of cleaning, perhaps spring replacement and proper reassembly would correct things. Colt's inners are highly interdependent. Fiddling with one part usually has an impact on another. You have to know not only what the part your playing with does, but what the other parts do too.
Thanks for the info. For now the binding appears random in DA. If I need to I'll get into the innards.

Let's go get Angel.....
Why not?