Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 06-27-2019, 2:38 PM

Default Old Neighbor has old guns, no idea how...

So an old neighbor came to me. He has some really old guns in great condition, and he knows I am into firearms so he wanted my help in selling them. He has no idea the worth of any of them, and since I am only into modern firearms I dont know much of anything about them, let alone their worth. I thought I would post them for sale but I need prices to post with them, and I dont want to screw him over and sell them for less than they are worth. Can anyone help me getting an idea of the price range I should start with on any of these?

1) Winchester 30 WCF Model 1894 Octagon Barrel lever action (25" barrel), manuf 1909

2) Winchester 12 ga Model 50 automatic mod. (27" barrel), manuf 1956

3) Remington 30.06 auto 22" barrel 94 woodsmaster, manuf ????

4) Winchester 22 pump octagon barrel, model 1890, manuf 1910

5) Winchester mod 1912 12ga (29" barrel), manuf 1916

This is all the info he gave me (minus the manufacture dates which I found using the serial number he provided). I have no idea where to even start with these. Best I can tell, from rummaging around gunbroker, I have seen #2 and #5 for $500-$900, #4 $~1k, #3 I have no idea, and #1 from $500-7k. But some of the ranges are so wide I have no idea what differentiates some of the different submodels, or if it's just the condition the guns are in.

All of his rifles are in great to near mint condition, and probably haven't been shot in 40-50 years - though they have been taken care of. Any help would be greatly appreciated, even if it's just pointing me in a direction to find some better values for these old guns. I am not taking anything from this, just helping an old guy out.
Old 06-27-2019, 3:53 PM

Short of GB or a local auction house (where are you?) you could try one of the online Winchester Collector forums.

TLCGunTrust@gmail.com
Nothing I post here constitutes legal advice, nor can it establish an attorney/client relationship.
Old 06-27-2019, 4:25 PM

This Old Friend has This Old Gun........

Try Gunslinger’s
Old 06-27-2019, 4:37 PM

If near Simi try Lock Stock and Barrel. If you had photos to post here people could provide more estimates. One person’s “mint condition” is another person’s fair or good condition. Rust, bore condition, replacement stocks and refinishing all affect value.
Old 06-27-2019, 7:37 PM

use the gunbroker feature to search for "completed auctions". You can't really look at offer/listing prices as many of them never sell for that and lots are over-valued. Look at what they actually sold for. I think you can only search backwards one month but you might get a better idea. The quantity of the same models you see listed will probably affect price more than condition. If there's only one other one listed, you'll get more than if there's 20.
Old 06-27-2019, 7:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurp1 View Post
If near Simi try Lock Stock and Barrel. If you had photos to post here people could provide more estimates. One person’s “mint condition” is another person’s fair or good condition. Rust, bore condition, replacement stocks and refinishing all affect value.
I'll second the referral to lock,stock and barrel. The specialize in estate liquidation sales of firearms.

http://www.lsbauctions.com.
Old 06-27-2019, 9:38 PM

Gunslingers auction seconded
Old 06-27-2019, 9:41 PM
Veteran Member

If it's a 74 sportsmaster, they are a 300 to 400 dollar gun depending on condition.

They are a later-production, no-frills model as I recall. I have shot a deer with one, worked fine.

Earlier woodsmaster models were the 740, 742, 7400.

Later designs have fewer problems. The 740 and 742 models can have receiver wear issues from the bolt.

Need more info.

Last edited by God Bless America; 06-27-2019 at 9:50 PM..
Old 06-27-2019, 9:57 PM

you might also check with Pettersun Guns in genoa Nevada and he can give you some idea on what to expect on the dealer's side of things. he was turning down collections because he could not get book value or that was what he told me a few months back. In this economy you need to be careful if you cosign something. Good luck and I can't comment on california because I have quit doing business with most sources here.
Old 06-28-2019, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member

I just used Lock Stock and Barrel to liquidate my WW2 ammunition collection - great service, fair, and cash in hand.
Recommend them.

Could I have got more if I'd split it up and sold it on GB - sure, and it would have become a full time job that paid less than minimum wage, lol.
Old 06-28-2019, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEquestrian View Post
I'll second the referral to lock,stock and barrel. The specialize in estate liquidation sales of firearms.

http://www.lsbauctions.com.
Awesome, I am going to suggest this to him. Thank you!