Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 06-24-2019, 12:17 PM

Default Mauser c96 red9 value?

Some have seen my previous posting about the red 9 I picked up.
Question now is? I find out the pistol is rare, maybe a prototype? There is no Prussian eagle stamp anywhere on the pistol. Serial number is in the 13,300 range. Only marks are for the safety and proff mark.
The hammer safety is the weird style where the hammer needs to be cocked back a bit to engage the safety. I had thought the safety was broken, but no. Its just old.
Dk

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
Old 06-25-2019, 8:47 AM
Veteran Member

Not all Red 9 Broomhandles have the Prussian eagle stamp on the mag well. Mine does not. All of them have the "New Style" safety, so that is also common and standard to Red 9s.
Old 06-26-2019, 1:54 PM

Mine does not have the eagle stamp either, but all the other markings are there. As far as value, a wild guess is $2000 - $3000 depending on condition and how much of the parts are original. Mine is all original with 90% original finish with the exception of the bolt stop. It's not numbered, so I'm assuming it's a replacement. But I only paid $1000 for it five years ago so I think it was a good deal.
Old 06-26-2019, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walther_Guy View Post
Mine does not have the eagle stamp either, but all the other markings are there. As far as value, a wild guess is $2000 - $3000 depending on condition and how much of the parts are original. Mine is all original with 90% original finish with the exception of the bolt stop. It's not numbered, so I'm assuming it's a replacement. But I only paid $1000 for it five years ago so I think it was a good deal.
Wow! That was a steal. I paid 3x's that. And yes bolt is matching, as grips.
So it seems missing the eagle is common? The old fart didn't know? Surprised as he had about 20 broomhandle.

Old 06-26-2019, 7:51 PM

Walter Guys said "Bolt Stop" not bolt, both of my c-96 have newly made bolt stops but I do have to originals in safe keeping!!
Old 06-27-2019, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scamp62 View Post
Walter Guys said "Bolt Stop" not bolt, both of my c-96 have newly made bolt stops but I do have to originals in safe keeping!!
Yes, the bolt stop. Not the bolt. All the rest of the parts right down to every component of the lock frame match. I'm assuming either the original bolt stop broke as I read they are prone to doing that or one of it's former owners replaced it to keep the original from breaking but failed to keep it with the gun unfortunately. What really struck me was how incredibly pristine the bore is considering I've read how many of the bores on these guns are really torn up. One thing about it though that has never really made sense to me, is that the safety will only engage with the hammer down. It will not engage while the gun is cocked. After disassembly, I couldn't find anything obvious mechanically that would cause that. Not sure if anyone else's red 9 does that. I've seen the safety engage on other broomhandles while they are cocked.

On a side note, I stumbled on to it when I went to little shop in Cameron Park to do a single shot exemption in 2014. The C96 was on consignment and according to the employees had had been in the shop for over a year. Asking price was $1200. I asked if they thought the guy would take $1000 (since it had been sitting there so long). They called the guy and he accepted. Owning a broomhandle was on my bucket list and since of all the variations, I wanted the red 9 the most, it was obviously time to buy! lol Serial # on mine is 559xx I believe.
Old 06-27-2019, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walther_Guy View Post
Yes, the bolt stop. Not the bolt. All the rest of the parts right down to every component of the lock frame match. I'm assuming either the original bolt stop broke as I read they are prone to doing that or one of it's former owners replaced it to keep the original from breaking but failed to keep it with the gun unfortunately. What really struck me was how incredibly pristine the bore is considering I've read how many of the bores on these guns are really torn up. One thing about it though that has never really made sense to me, is that the safety will only engage with the hammer down. It will not engage while the gun is cocked. After disassembly, I couldn't find anything obvious mechanically that would cause that. Not sure if anyone else's red 9 does that. I've seen the safety engage on other broomhandles while they are cocked.

On a side note, I stumbled on to it when I went to little shop in Cameron Park to do a single shot exemption in 2014. The C96 was on consignment and according to the employees had had been in the shop for over a year. Asking price was $1200. I asked if they thought the guy would take $1000 (since it had been sitting there so long). They called the guy and he accepted. Owning a broomhandle was on my bucket list and since of all the variations, I wanted the red 9 the most, it was obviously time to buy! lol Serial # on mine is 559xx I believe.
Interesting. My safety I have to cock the hammer back past where it locks, to put the safety on. Does not work hammer down.
I am still waiting for my bolt stop. Yeesh I heard they were slooooow to ship. Springs are stil oos.
My red9 has really sharp rifling as well. Punched nice holes at 50 yards.
O btw ive been offered more than what I paid by 2 gents. Alot more.

Old 06-28-2019, 7:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkonrai View Post
Interesting. My safety I have to cock the hammer back past where it locks, to put the safety on. Does not work hammer down.
I am still waiting for my bolt stop. Yeesh I heard they were slooooow to ship. Springs are stil oos.
My red9 has really sharp rifling as well. Punched nice holes at 50 yards.
O btw ive been offered more than what I paid by 2 gents. Alot more.

Sounds like mine has some sort of issue with the safety. Pretty sure it should be operating like yours!

You've been offered more than $3k? Maybe you should take it. lol I don't think I've seen broomhandles sell for much more than that unless they are early experimental models or have the full rig (original holster/stock and leather harness with the tool.)
Old 06-28-2019, 9:37 AM

Embarrassed to say i paid 3k. Add tax and dros. 3300 otd. Shop was asking 4. Yes probably paid too much, but, I checked gun broker and prices are all over the place. Rock island auction as well. For some odd reason it seems the red9 is in high demand? Not sure not a collector. Just a shooter who likes different guns.
Still waiting to find out about the matching holster and such. Hopefully they find the stock and such. Something about 4 or 5 storage containers of a passed belongings.

Old 06-28-2019, 1:27 PM

So you're saying yours may have a matching stock in a box somewhere?? That should certainly make you feel better about paying $3k if you can find that! Assuming they will give it to you (I would hope they would) instead of making you buy it separately.

I think the red 9s are the most popular because 1. They are chambered in 9mm and 2. They were made specifically for the German military in WWI. 3. The red 9 on the stocks looks cool, and maybe because they have more realistic tangent sights since they only go up to 500 meters instead of 1000... Actually I have no idea why they are more popular than other broomhandles!
Old 06-28-2019, 1:34 PM

Um not a stock.... Its a holster lol. Ya hoping they find it. Rumor has it there is the mauser holster as well as some luger stocks.
As for the c9 value? Not sure. Yes I'm the fool who paid too much. But then again I had just sold a rifle and had this wad of cash in my pocket. NEVER GO INTO YOUR LOCAL SHOP WITH A POCKET FULL OF CASH. Lmao

I feel I paid fair market price. Wish I had the cash for the American eagle luger they had. Beautiful piece with the fat barrel.

Old 06-28-2019, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkonrai View Post
Um not a stock.... Its a holster lol. Ya hoping they find it. Rumor has it there is the mauser holster as well as some luger stocks.
As for the c9 value? Not sure. Yes I'm the fool who paid too much. But then again I had just sold a rifle and had this wad of cash in my pocket. NEVER GO INTO YOUR LOCAL SHOP WITH A POCKET FULL OF CASH. Lmao

I feel I paid fair market price. Wish I had the cash for the American eagle luger they had. Beautiful piece with the fat barrel.

Yeah I hope they turn up more accessories for the guns we got! Would love to have the holster and maybe a spare mag for my BYF Luger!
"I don't own them. I'm just their caretaker for a little while until they go on to the next caretaker. They aren't TOOLS.....they WERE tools but are now artifacts, implements of an earlier age that PRODUCED history and brought mankind's timeline to where it is at this moment. And as such, it is my responsibility to preserve them."