Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2018, 2:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Starting my CCW process

Since the old license manager is gone, and Sheriff Gore has said publicly he'd really, really like to issue more permits, I'm going to give it a shot.

I just called and made an appointment. They're giving them in early April. While I was on the phone, two slots disappeared before she could get me in, so now I've got Wednesday, April 4. She asked if I'd applied before, and the ones submitted during the confusion around the 9th Circus still count even if they weren't processed... there's still a permit number assigned. I guess they found mine. She said to bring a complete but unsigned application, and no fees... my guess is they'll figure if they want to give you a shot or not, and if they give the nod and you're willing to jump through whatever hoops they set out, then you pay.

As for "good cause"... everyone wants the magic phrase. I can't help anyone else there... mine will mostly involve my job, which presents both some potential security questions as well as the "transporting valuables late at night to remote locations". If I learn anything that might be useful to others, I will pass it along.

It's kind of funny, we expect to be in Arizona next year, so even if this works out, it'll be kind of wasted. Worst case, maybe I learn something. We'll see!

San Diego FFLs | San Diego ranges
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. --Thomas Jefferson
** I have my San Diego County CCW... you can, too!
Old 03-15-2018, 7:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Wow, jnojr. I remember you from Don's petition drive back in '05 - '06.... (You haven't changed your avatar.) Remember the ads on that Al Franken radio channel, AirAmerica (or something like that). Has it really be 13 years???

I'm truly happy you'll, at long last, have a solid chance at getting a CA CCW. You deserve it!

While I've got a 7-year FL CCW, and still have only a moving violation every 5 years or so on my criminal record, I'm just too much of a potential threat for my sheriff to be allowed to defend my own life.

Keep us updated.

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif

Last edited by Paladin; 03-15-2018 at 7:03 PM..
Old 03-16-2018, 8:43 AM
I need a LIFE!!

A donation to Gore's re-election campaign might help. Make sure they know you did that.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Wow, jnojr. I remember you from Don's petition drive back in '05 - '06.... (You haven't changed your avatar.) Remember the ads on that Al Franken radio channel, AirAmerica (or something like that). Has it really be 13 years???
Indeed!

Quote:
I'm truly happy you'll, at long last, have a solid chance at getting a CA CCW. You deserve it!
I don't know about a "solid" chance... I have a feeling Gore is making mouth-noises during an election year. But we'll see!

Quote:
While I've got a 7-year FL CCW, and still have only a moving violation every 5 years or so on my criminal record, I'm just too much of a potential threat for my sheriff to be allowed to defend my own life.
Tell me about it

Quote:
Keep us updated.
That's the purpose of this thread, to share any info that might be useful. Whether that's any useful insight for others, or confirmation that, regardless of what the Sheriff says the issuance policies haven't actually changed, we shall see!

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. --Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-16-2018, 11:29 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
That's the purpose of this thread, to share any info that might be useful. Whether that's any useful insight for others, or confirmation that, regardless of what the Sheriff says the issuance policies haven't actually changed, we shall see!
I'm sure you're familiar with the CCW thread particular to San Diego

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1366165
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=352786

I'm going to apply soon. I have to think of a good cause since SD/PP aren't considered good cause which I think is BS.

Last edited by echo6cavedog; 03-16-2018 at 11:33 AM..
Old 03-16-2018, 5:36 PM
Veteran Member

Good luck to you!
Old 03-21-2018, 7:46 PM

I just scheduled my initial interview today. First opening was may 2nd, soni took it.
Old 03-22-2018, 8:56 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadodave View Post
I just scheduled my initial interview today. First opening was may 2nd, soni took it.
WOW! I was thinking of calling to try to reschedule mine, but no freaking way now!

One thing I wanted to mention... I had recently requested a new DL. I saw a post on Facebook about CA handing out illegal alien licenses by default, and sure enough, mine says "Federal Limits Apply"! I have other ID options, but I wonder if this would be an issue for them?

Old 03-23-2018, 10:56 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadodave View Post
Scheduled mine this morning too and got 01 May. There must've been a cancellation.

Quote:
WOW! I was thinking of calling to try to reschedule mine, but no freaking way now!

One thing I wanted to mention... I had recently requested a new DL. I saw a post on Facebook about CA handing out illegal alien licenses by default, and sure enough, mine says "Federal Limits Apply"! I have other ID options, but I wonder if this would be an issue for them?
I don't see it being an issue. They're aren't asking for a federal ID. Besides, federal limits won't start to take effect until October 1, 2020.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...alid/realidfaq

"4. My license expires before October 1, 2020. What should I do?

Know your options. Valid California driver license/ID cards will be accepted by TSA to board a domestic flight and by federal agents to enter secure federal facilities until October 1, 2020. Additionally, if you have a valid U.S. passport or U.S. passport card, military ID, or other federally approved identification, you may use this as your form of identification for federal purposes."

Old 04-02-2018, 1:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Also going to give it a go. Looks like the appointments are at least two months out from when you call then? I guess there is plenty of time to work on the application then.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 04-03-2018, 9:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Appointment made, it's one month wait.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 04-04-2018, 5:54 AM

going to schedule a appointment today or tomorrow and use self-defense as GC. well see how it goes.
Sig SP2022 9mm
Kahr CW9
Cricket 22lr in pink
Ruger 10/22 take down
Aero precision 308
Spikes Snowflake 224 Valkyrie
Old 04-04-2018, 10:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_fox_racer View Post
going to schedule a appointment today or tomorrow and use self-defense as GC. well see how it goes.
I'm sure other SD Co folk appreciate your willingness to get denied in order to test SD = GC or not, but if you want a CA CCW I suggest you use more for your GC. Like I and SDCGOPAC have posted elsewhere, Gore has issued to folks who say and prove (photos, receipts, etc) that they go hiking/camping in the desert where cell phone reception is spotty at best, and thus are pretty much on their own (no LE response), as far as defending themselves.

As Gore explains in the carry over paragraph of his March 29, 2017 letter, CA's CCW statute requires "proof" supporting your GC. If a mere statement of "self defense" was good enough, the legislature would not have required proof. IOW, the "legislative intent" is that "self defense" is not a sufficient GC statement, but using something that reasonably would make you more likely to be a target for criminal attack than the ordinary SD Co resident (e.g., "avid shooter"), supported by proof (e.g., photos of you shooting, receipts from ranges and/or gun club dues, etc), is sufficient. IOW, help SDSO get you to pass their GC standard.

BOTTOM LINE: If you're not just trying to make a point, to test Gore's GC standard for a CCW, or to file a lawsuit, but only want to get a CA CCW, I'd use more for GC and provide "proof" (i.e., evidence) supporting it.

Copy of Gore's letter posted near the bottom of:
http://sandiegocountygunowners.com/ccw/

Last edited by Paladin; 04-04-2018 at 11:05 AM..
Old 04-04-2018, 2:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

What annoys me the most about the above letter from Gore is that his claim is simply not true. He’s playing semantics with the wording to make his case. While the PC does say proof is required that good cause exists, it neither defines “good cause” or “proof”. The proof is, in reality, whatever he is willing to accept that it is and there are numerous other Sheriff’s in CA who hold simple “self defense” as sufficient “proof” of good cause. These very same semantics are what lost him the initial Peruta ruling and it was only because the state AG (and the Chief Justice of the 9th) came to his rescue that it was revered on challenge.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.Ē -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 04-04-2018, 3:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Just got back. I think I'm feeling positive.

I got there a few minutes early and signed in. There were two other people before me signed in for "CCW". While I was there, I overheard a couple of snippets that led me to believe two more were there for the same reason.

The interview was... weird. I had stated my "good cause" (a variation of the "carry valuable property / heightened risk" theme). She asked a lot of questions that I thought were weird, irrelevant, and meaningless. Answered 'em anyway with a smile. I had two "GC" statements, and she suggested I focus on one, as the other couldn't be documented. After all these strange questions, the docs they want me to bring back are a work ID and an HR contact that's answered by a human being to verify employment.

What's really funny is, she offered me a second appointment this Friday at 8AM. I didn't feel like fighting traffic, so I said what else do you have, and got Wednesday afternoon. So there's my next step!

Overall, I do get the feeling they're trying to find reasons to issue. Whether this is any real change in Gore's opinions, or election year fears, or some other political issue; I think they really want to get more permits out there. I've always heard that at the first interview (they did not collect fees, BTW, that's for the second) they discourage you from coming back. Not for me.

So, get out there and apply! Come up with ANYTHING that shows a "heightened risk" and get some "documentation". For the hiking mentioned above, find some old park passes or something!

Old 04-04-2018, 4:07 PM
Calguns Addict

How do we document BLM land visits?

I might have some pictures from past visits. Going out again soon guess just take lots of pictures? Old planning emails with friends?
Statements from people that went with me?

Old 04-05-2018, 7:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
How do we document BLM land visits?
Make an appointment. They'll tell you what they want to see!

Old 04-05-2018, 2:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Make an appointment. They'll tell you what they want to see!
Appointment is made, early May.
With a whole month to wait I'm thinking to gather up my mojo as much
as possible.

Old 04-05-2018, 4:16 PM
Calguns Addict

So far so good!

I just want to emphasis a few things so that it will sink into SD folk who are so beaten down that they think this is all a mirage.

Quote:
Just got back. I think I'm feeling positive.

I got there a few minutes early and signed in. There were two other people before me signed in for "CCW". While I was there, I overheard a couple of snippets that led me to believe two more were there for the same reason.

The interview was... weird. I had stated my "good cause" (a variation of the "carry valuable property / heightened risk" theme). She asked a lot of questions that I thought were weird, irrelevant, and meaningless. Answered 'em anyway with a smile. I had two "GC" statements, and she suggested I focus on one, as the other couldn't be documented. After all these strange questions, the docs they want me to bring back are a work ID and an HR contact that's answered by a human being to verify employment.

What's really funny is, she offered me a second appointment this Friday at 8AM. I didn't feel like fighting traffic, so I said what else do you have, and got Wednesday afternoon. So there's my next step!

Overall, I do get the feeling they're trying to find reasons to issue. Whether this is any real change in Gore's opinions, or election year fears, or some other political issue; I think they really want to get more permits out there. I've always heard that at the first interview (they did not collect fees, BTW, that's for the second) they discourage you from coming back. Not for me.

So, get out there and apply! Come up with ANYTHING that shows a "heightened risk" and get some "documentation". For the hiking mentioned above, find some old park passes or something!

Old 04-07-2018, 7:10 PM

I am really excited for you guys!! I'd never thought I'd see the day that we'd have positive forward movement for CCWs in SD County and I'm really pleased to hear that things might be moving in the right direction.
Old 04-11-2018, 5:40 PM
Calguns Addict

OK, second interview. I brought all the things they asked for. The clerk went over everything very carefully, and had me make a few small changes. One thing... ANY suggestions they make about your good cause at the first interview, incorporate into your statement for the second. Even thinks that are irrelevant and pointless. They asked me how long I had been at my job. Who cares? They do.

Then, she brought out a second questionnaire about have you ever been or applied for a job as a cop, security guard, etc. Never heard of this before. I had applied to a few departments like 15 years ago when that sounded like a good idea. I'm sitting there trying to remember who, when, what happened, etc. She was cool about it, and made notes that if anything came up, to ask me about discrepancies because I just couldn't remember :-) I think her supervisor said something about nobody keeps records that long, so that would probably be the end of it. They did want a notarized release for those records, but their notary had left for the day. So, if they really need it, they'll call me back.

It took the full hour. Pictures (front and side, like mug shots!) and all fingerprints... both hands, both thumbs, then each individual finger!

At the end, she took the check, gave me a receipt, and said it'd be 60 to 90 days, and I'll get a letter saying approved or denied. If approved, I have thirty days to take the class. If denied, they "might" say why or provide a mechanism for appeal.

I think that's everything for now! Back to waiting. Hope this helps others, feel free to ask questions, I'll try to fill in any blanks.

Old 04-24-2018, 9:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
OK, second interview. ...

<snip>

It took the full hour. Pictures (front and side, like mug shots!) and all fingerprints... both hands, both thumbs, then each individual finger!

At the end, she took the check, gave me a receipt, and said it'd be 60 to 90 days, and I'll get a letter saying approved or denied. If approved, I have thirty days to take the class. If denied, they "might" say why or provide a mechanism for appeal.

I think that's everything for now! Back to waiting. Hope this helps others, feel free to ask questions, I'll try to fill in any blanks.

How much have you paid the SDSO so far? If you are denied, how much of that, if any, do you get back?

So it sounds like sometime between mid June to mid July you'll be finding out whether you will get a CA CCW!

If it's a "Yes," and you take the class ASAP, you might be carrying when, by Sept???

Last edited by Paladin; 04-24-2018 at 9:43 PM..
Old 04-25-2018, 6:03 AM

The $105.63 due at second interview is non-refundable. It breaks down to

$93.00 for Live Scan
$12.63 for Initial processing fee

After the 60-90 day wait for your background check and good cause approval you will get a letter that allows you to take the 8 hour qualification course. You have 30 days from the date on the letter to complete the course and then pay the final $50.51 at the time the issued CCW is picked up.
Old 04-27-2018, 3:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_man View Post
The $105.63 due at second interview is non-refundable. It breaks down to

$93.00 for Live Scan
$12.63 for Initial processing fee

After the 60-90 day wait for your background check and good cause approval you will get a letter that allows you to take the 8 hour qualification course. You have 30 days from the date on the letter to complete the course and then pay the final $50.51 at the time the issued CCW is picked up.
^^^^
This

Old 04-27-2018, 3:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
If it's a "Yes," and you take the class ASAP, you might be carrying when, by Sept???
Maybe. And then toss it in the garbage four months later when we leave this miserable state.

Old 04-27-2018, 6:07 PM

Thumbs up Great Info....Please keep it coming

I called SDSO on Tues 4/24 and got 1st appointment scheduled for 6/7 so it looks like things are picking up. Apply now and avoid the rush!! I will share my info upon completion of 1st interview. Thanks for all the info to date, appreciate it.
Old 04-27-2018, 6:40 PM

I'm 30 days into my 60 - 90 day window. I'll be calling at 60 days to see if there is any news.

The ladies at the SD office were extremely helpful and professional.
Old 04-27-2018, 7:15 PM

Did anyone else notice that they now have a counter to show how many CCW's have been issued by the sheriff of the CCW page? Up to 1422 as of this afternoon.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjv View Post
Did anyone else notice that they now have a counter to show how many CCW's have been issued by the sheriff of the CCW page? Up to 1422 as of this afternoon.
Nope. Thx. I wonder if that includes Business, Judicial and LE Reserves CCWs as well as Standard/Civilian?

Here's the link for everyone else: http://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw.html

I forgot how deeply Gore hides CCW info on the website.

Go to their homepage:
http://www.sdsheriff.net/index.html

(1) then across the top, click on Resources taking you to:
http://www.sdsheriff.net/resources.html

(2) then from the right hand column, click on Licensing & Permits, taking you to: http://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing.html

(3) then from the right hand column, click on "Regulatory Licenses and Fees" taking you to the Licensing Division's webpage at:
http://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/fees.html

(4) and then finally click on "Concealed Weapons License" taking you to:
http://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw.html where you can download an application.

Now, compare that to SFPD (http://sanfranciscopolice.org/), Sonoma (https://www.sonomasheriff.org/), CoCoCo (http://www.cocosheriff.org/) and others have links for CCW info. right on their homepage! Plus, they give not only the abbreviation ("CCW") but say what it stands for: Concealed Weapons.

Hopefully, Gore or Myers will switch to an online application process to save time, money and effort and streamline the process.

Last edited by Paladin; 04-30-2018 at 1:20 PM..
Old 04-28-2018, 7:21 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I'd like to see applications, rejections, and approvals. We always knew there were hundreds of CCWs issued in San Diego. SDGCO claims that "hundreds" have recently applied and received permits, but that counter doesn't reflect that. I'm wondering if this is all political show, and the permits are coming "any day now", until Election Day... and then all non-supercitizens are summarily denied.

I'm hopeful, but certainly aren't redesigning my life around this!

Old 04-28-2018, 7:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantTexan View Post
I'm 30 days into my 60 - 90 day window. I'll be calling at 60 days to see if there is any news.

The ladies at the SD office were extremely helpful and professional.
Be patient. Of the 3-4 (including marcusrn on this board) I know of it's been between 70 and 90 days. If you haven't heard yet the clerk will very politely inform you that it is still processing. But believe me, they are working on getting them through.

Quote:
It will be interesting to track how often it's updated and by how many.
I wonder if the counter will stay up after the election....

Last edited by rice_man; 04-28-2018 at 7:55 AM..
Old 04-28-2018, 8:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I'd like to see applications, rejections, and approvals. We always knew there were hundreds of CCWs issued in San Diego. SDGCO claims that "hundreds" have recently applied and received permits, but that counter doesn't reflect that. I'm wondering if this is all political show, and the permits are coming "any day now", until Election Day... and then all non-supercitizens are summarily denied.
IIRC, SDCGO said that hundreds have applied and their GCs approved, not that they had received permits yet.

In a video post at:
www.sandiegocountygunowners.com/ccw/

Gore claims that he's issued 1,500 CCWs at that time (last fall) (at 02:40 min). So, he's either reduced the number of active CCWs, or was rounding up the number 1,500. My guess is the latter. But rounding up from what: 1,400? 1,251? 1001?

Last edited by Paladin; 04-28-2018 at 9:40 PM..
Old 04-28-2018, 8:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Gore's CCW Good Cause policy, when you look at it (http://sdsheriff.net/documents/ccw.pdf), wouldn't be bad IF he just removed the "business or occupation" qualifications/limitations and added the text I've bolded. It would put San Diego solidly in "light green" on the CA CCW GC map. From what SDCGO has told me this week -- that their people are still getting approved and NONE of them have been denied because of GC -- I think Gore's current practice is more in line with their GC policy as modified by me below than as currently posted on their website. If Gore made the changes suggested below to his official policy on his website (and put a direct link to CCW Info on his homepage), more CGNers would trust him NOT to flip back to restrictive issuance if he was reelected.

Quote:
Good cause is determined on an individual basis. Applicants for a CCW should be able to set forth a set of circumstances that distinguishes the applicant from other members of the general public and causes him or her to be placed in harm's way. Simply writing "self defense" or "personal protection" on an application does not provide the requisite proof of good cause. However, any of the following criteria, upon proof, may establish good cause:

• Evidence that there has been or is likely to be an attempt on the part of a second party to do great bodily harm to the applicant.

The nature of the business or occupation Any lawful activity of the applicant is such that it is subject to personal risk and/or criminal attack, greater than the general population.

A task of the business or occupation Any lawful activity of the applicant requires transportation of large sums of money or other valuables and alternative protective measures or security cannot be practically employed.

When a business or occupation Any lawful activity of the applicant is of a high-risk nature and or requires the applicant's presence in a dangerous environment.

The occupation or business Any lawful activity of the applicant is such that no practical means of protection, security or risk avoidance can mitigate the risk other than the carrying of a concealed firearm.

• Personal protection is warranted to mitigate a threat to the applicant that the applicant is able to substantiate.

• Good cause could include, but is not limited to, verifiable documented instances of threats to the personal safety of the applicant, his or her family, or employees. Threats to personal safety maybe verbal or demonstrated through actual harm committed in the place of work, neighborhood or regular routes of travel for business. The applicant should articulate the threat as it applies personally to the applicant, his or her family, or employees. Non-specific, general concerns about personal safety are insufficient.

Last edited by Paladin; 09-09-2018 at 9:03 AM..
Old 04-28-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
...The interview was... weird. I had stated my "good cause" (a variation of the "carry valuable property / heightened risk" theme).
I'm going to give this a try. What is the "heightened risk" theme?
Old 04-29-2018, 10:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I came across a previous post of mine that offers information re. how many active CCWs Gore had last June 30th.

Quote:
The California State Auditor last Tuesday released their audit of Sac, LA and SD county sheriffs' CCW policies, procedures and practices, so we have a better idea of what is BS and what is truth for each of those 3 counties. See the discussion at: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...4#post21027724

From p. 7 of the .pdf of the audit's report (emphasis added): To provide additional context, at each department we identified the number of active licenses. As of June 30, 2017 ... San Diego had 1,281 active licenses
Looks like he added 141 in the past 10 months, so that's a gain of ~14/month, averaging just over 3 new CCWs (in addition to renewals) per week. While that's good and heading in the right direction, IMO he should be issuing ~80 new CCWs, in addition to renewals, per week. That would add ~4,000 new CCWers until he satisfies the demand (probably ~60,000 CCWers for 3.4M residents). At 4,000/yr, will take him ~15 years. (Each year will have more and more renewals to deal with too.)

SD folk really need to start pushing the Board of Sups to give Gore money specifically for putting the CCW application process online.

ETA: Just to repeat myself in case some are confused. The above numbers are regarding "issued"/"active" CCWs whereas SDCGO has been talking about "hundreds" of new apps and GC statements being "approved", but not "issued" yet.

Last edited by Paladin; 04-29-2018 at 10:35 PM..
Old 04-29-2018, 11:57 PM

So If Gore gets over 50% vote over Myers on June 5th? Then there is no runoff and Gore wins. Correct?

If that's the case and Gore goes back to his restrictive issuing after winning,
he accomplished his goal without giving up much except a few hundred ccw's.
Old 04-30-2018, 8:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Gore is running TV ads here now. There are also re-elect Gore campaign street signs out. I intend to collect as many of those as I can the day after election for target shooting uses.
Old 04-30-2018, 1:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman! View Post
I'm going to give this a try. What is the "heightened risk" theme?
It's fairly specific to me and my line of work. But take heart... if you read through all of the relevant posts, pretty much anything that shows "heightened risk" is, at least, being considered.

Quote:
"Good cause is determined on an individual basis. Applicants for a CCW should be able to set forth a set of circumstances that distinguishes the applicant from other members of the general public and causes him or her to be placed in harmís way."
And:

Quote:
"It is the goal of the San Diego County Sheriff's Department that those persons who present proof of good cause, and meet all other qualifications, be issued a CCW if they so request. The Sheriff's Department recognizes that individuals may also face threats to their safety by virtue of their profession, business or status and by virtue of their ability to readily access materials that if forcibly taken would be a danger to society. These threats should be articulated by the applicant and clearly identify his I her unique circumstances."
If you can articulate it, they'll talk to you about what they want to see to document it. In my case, the "documentation" was pretty ridiculous, as in ridiculously easy to provide I am very jaded about what will happen in the longer-term, after the next election; but for right now, I do believe the Sheriff wants to issue as many permits as possible without weakening the time-honored "standards".

Ask SDCGO, make your initial appointment, and talk to them. Worst case, you'll be out a couple of hours of your time.

Old 05-02-2018, 1:06 PM

I'm going to give this a try too. Just made an appointment for the initial interview, it's 2 mo out in early July. Anyone on the fence should make an appointment while you work on your GC statement. As for the the elections, who knows what will happen. The optimistic side of me says that unless all of the CCW permit holders start running around committing crimes and becoming highly visible, we'll be under the radar for any new sheriff. While CCW is important for us, I think it's not on the radar for most of the general public.
Old 05-05-2018, 8:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Well, the webpage still shows 1422 a week later, so my guess is that is not a "counter", but just text put up there by the IT guy. Who knows when or how often it will be updated....

http://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw.html