Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 04-27-2015, 11:33 AM

Default CCW applicant in Sacramento county.

Hello, everyone!

I'm currently starting the process of applying for my permit in Sacramento county. I have a interview with sac sheriff on the 4th and wanted to go into it with as much knowledge about this whole thing as possible.

Any info about the process would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you remember questions they asked that would help a ton!
Old 04-27-2015, 11:44 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Have you done your class room training yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:49 AM

.......if you are asked about something (the same thing), two or three times, you may want to expand on your answer or facts a bit more. you really cannot "prepare", for the oral interview. the best thing is to just be calm and be yourself. it is pretty low key. do not try to bull**** the interviewer. they are very good and do have the training to read people.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg21 View Post
Have you done your class room training yet?
No I have not. Brought a flyer home from the range but am yet to sign up. Thanks for reminding me.
Old 04-27-2015, 1:01 PM

The sac sheriff's office does a good job, and they are pretty low key. Like another said, just be yourself and tell the truth. They make you feel pretty comfortable down there. For training/class I'd recommend Wes with LFI guns. Higher price tag than others, but worth every penny. He has a sheriff's background and is well-learned in his skills, lots of knowledge to be learned from him. Don't go cheap on something so important as training to potentially use a firearm in public.
Old 04-27-2015, 1:05 PM

Just as said above, just be yourself.. Don't BS them..they have everything they need to know about you already in front of them, so just be honest and thorough. My experience couldn't have gone any smoother.. I had my initial appointment 4/16. Good luck to you!
Old 04-27-2015, 1:36 PM

You don't get your training until they tell you you are preliminarily approved - don't go get it yet.

Step 1 - Appt to drop off your ap. They will go over the stuff on your app. They will ask about drug use, criminal background, etc. Don't BS - don't go out of your way to volunteer anything that's not relevant/part of the record. They folks down there are very professional.

Step 2 - Receive your preliminary approval.

Step 3 - Go get your Livescan

Step 4 - Receive your "good to go" letter

Step 5 - Get your training

Step 6 show up with proof of training (IDR if you need an appointment for that or not - think you do)

Go home with your permit....
Old 04-27-2015, 3:49 PM

if they keep repeating a question....THAT.....is your hint. you only get two tries.
Old 04-27-2015, 4:26 PM

If you have ever been arrested tell them, I thought an arrest that was dismissed in 86 wasn't on my record.....the second interviewer told me it was...oops. so be truthful . And you'll be ok.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2015, 4:48 PM

Make sure you have all the proof of residency COPIES that they ask for. When I was there they turned two people with appointments away because they didn't have them. Silly to waste your time over such a simple mistake.
The interview itself was just as everyone else has stated, very low-key. Just be polite, cool and respectful, don't try to hide anything and you should be good.
For the training, I recommend "Best handgun training" in Lincoln. They were the only place I could find that had the entire 16 hour course in ONE DAY It was a long day (maybe not exactly 16 hours) but it was nice to get it done all at once.
Old 04-28-2015, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontTaseMeBro View Post
Make sure you have all the proof of residency COPIES that they ask for. When I was there they turned two people with appointments away because they didn't have them. Silly to waste your time over such a simple mistake.
The interview itself was just as everyone else has stated, very low-key. Just be polite, cool and respectful, don't try to hide anything and you should be good.
For the training, I recommend "Best handgun training" in Lincoln. They were the only place I could find that had the entire 16 hour course in ONE DAY It was a long day (maybe not exactly 16 hours) but it was nice to get it done all at once.
Sixteen hours must be their course length. My course was more like 8, if I recall correctly.
Old 04-28-2015, 5:21 PM

The only questions they are suppose to ask are the ones on the application.

When I went to the back office to be interviewed (again) by a detective, he repeated most of the same questions while behind a computer (back ground check?).

He did ask about storage (not on the application) I answered I owned a safe.

In hindsight, I was a bit peeved. That question isn't on the app. And had I pointed that out, I may very well have been denied simply for putting them in check or for being "uncooperative".

It IS NOT their business to know how we maintain storage in the home. But, they asked and I let them get away with it...

Has anyone seen my velociraptor?
Old 04-30-2015, 10:44 AM

doubletap......questions only asked about what is on the application ?? WRONG !! so......pending court charges, domestic violence, dui.......etc.
adjust your attitude. holy crap, thank god he didn't ask you about the weather or if you have had lunch or not...........
Old 05-10-2015, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopez95632 View Post
Hello, everyone!

I'm currently starting the process of applying for my permit in Sacramento county. I have a interview with sac sheriff on the 4th and wanted to go into it with as much knowledge about this whole thing as possible.

Any info about the process would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you remember questions they asked that would help a ton!
This part of the process is not a test. There are no right or wrong answers. Just tell the truth.
Why make it clear when there is an agency that can make up and enforce their own laws? Its one of those things where you need to make the personal decision as to whether you want to be right or free. Is it worth it to you?