Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

View Poll Results: FAVORITE FIREARMS TRAINING OUTFITS IN SOCAL
Covered 6 0 0%
Dynamic Training Concepts (DTC) 0 0%
FOG (Falcon Operations Group) 4 8.33%
FTA (Firearms Training Associates) 5 10.42%
5 Arrows Tactical Training (Darren Harlow) 2 4.17%
ITTS (International Tactical Training Seminars) 11 22.92%
PTS (Phoenix Tactical Solutions) 12 25.00%
TAC-1 (Tactical Advanced Combat) 11 22.92%
TASC (The Academy of Saint Crispian / Stan Lee) 5 10.42%
TFTT (Tactical Firearms Training Team) Direct Action Group 2 4.17%
TriCon (Trident Concepts – Jeff Gonzales) 2 4.17%
Civilian Arms Training 1 2.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-05-2019, 10:37 PM

There was a company called Lexicon that was contracted for training some of the guys at SOTG on Camp Pendleton. Not sure if they also train civilians but their instructor cadre were all former SOF and Recon Marines.
Old 01-06-2019, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEquestrian View Post
I am glad you had a good experience. Please note I am not commenting on the quality of the training experience as I have never trained with them. I was considering training with them and had read some good reviews back when they were in operation, however, when I went to their site, I did as I do with all prospective training schools and went first to find the instructor bios / creds. Rather than not say anything which some schools / instructors do who have no professional credentials, or disclosing full professional bios as the best schools do, FOG had this "call sign names" (Hollywood comes to mind) only or no name BS with "SpecOps involvement" mentioned as the reason for non disclosure of the instructors real names... and no specific information whatsoever on their qualifications / experience. The whole gist was, we are SpecOps guys and we could tell you but we would have to kill you sort of thing... When instructors dont post their qualifications to be giving the instruction they are being paid to give, I have found it is almost always because they dont have any.

So my comment last year and now was based on my first hand observation of their non disclosure of instructor names and qualifications with the excuse of "spec ops" security which I think is ridiculously funny not to mention, unprofessional. Again, I have not taken a class with them but, as you should notice, my critical comment has nothing to do with the quality of their training one way or another. Unfortunately they apparently no longer have a website for me to look at again and see if that has changed.

Every school I have trained with disclosed the full names of the instructors and their professional bios. Most all the schools at the top of this thread do as well.
Fair enough, I can see how you could get to that perspective. Thanks for the reply.

Hollywood's first name is Anson and before FOG he was an instructor for Magpul Dynamics when Chris Costa was there (not sure if he was there when both Travis and Chris were running things). IIRC he was a reserve LEO and I can't recall if he had a Mil background or not.

I can only guess at the reason he didn't play up his real name at FOG. Nowadays all you need to find someone's home address is their name or mobile number, so my guess is that when he was at Magpul Dynamics he planned to go full-time in training, or didn't have a family yet, so opsec wasn't foremost in his thoughts. FOG seemed to be a part time operation so maybe having his name out there was no longer desirable given the potential downside.

Anyway, just a guess, probably wrong, but since googling "Falcon Operations Group" reveals his name in the first two pages...if that was his reasoning...the internet isn't cooperating.

I took one class with them and haven't spoken to him since, but it was solid, a good value for the price, and I'd feel comfortable sending people there for basic to advanced marksmanship/weapon manipulation training, at least on the shotgun, which was the only course I took with him.

For tactics, in 2019, budget allowing, I'd look to a former operator with a few deployments under his belt, a few years on a reputable SWAT team, or an experienced UC guy like Craig Douglas. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a GWOT vet from a tier one unit these days, which is a good thing for tactically inclined citizens. Defoor Performance, AMTAC Shooting, Northern Red, and Trident Concepts being a few that come to mind...and of course Uncle Scotty at ITTS in LA is still our local guru of old school, straight-to-the-point gunfighting.

You can see Anson and Chris together in this AAR: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ne-5-7th-2010)

And here: https://youtu.be/zpytjhRbUeE

• Complete set of reloading equipment plus dies for 338 LM
• Desert Tactical Arms SRS rifles - Gen 1 and Gen 2
• Proof Research Carbon Fiber barrels for DTA SRS, various calibers (new)
Old 01-06-2019, 8:12 PM

I did CATS maybe 10 years ago, before they started The Church of CAR. I just finished Handgun 1 with ITTS this weekend, and it was very very good. I’ll do a separate post on it, but I’m very happy with ITTS.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpfenhammer View Post
Fair enough, I can see how you could get to that perspective. Thanks for the reply.

Hollywood's first name is Anson and before FOG he was an instructor for Magpul Dynamics when Chris Costa was there (not sure if he was there when both Travis and Chris were running things). IIRC he was a reserve LEO and I can't recall if he had a Mil background or not.

I can only guess at the reason he didn't play up his real name at FOG. Nowadays all you need to find someone's home address is their name or mobile number, so my guess is that when he was at Magpul Dynamics he planned to go full-time in training, or didn't have a family yet, so opsec wasn't foremost in his thoughts. FOG seemed to be a part time operation so maybe having his name out there was no longer desirable given the potential downside.

Anyway, just a guess, probably wrong, but since googling "Falcon Operations Group" reveals his name in the first two pages...if that was his reasoning...the internet isn't cooperating.

I took one class with them and haven't spoken to him since, but it was solid, a good value for the price, and I'd feel comfortable sending people there for basic to advanced marksmanship/weapon manipulation training, at least on the shotgun, which was the only course I took with him.

For tactics, in 2019, budget allowing, I'd look to a former operator with a few deployments under his belt, a few years on a reputable SWAT team, or an experienced UC guy like Craig Douglas. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a GWOT vet from a tier one unit these days, which is a good thing for tactically inclined citizens. Defoor Performance, AMTAC Shooting, Northern Red, and Trident Concepts being a few that come to mind...and of course Uncle Scotty at ITTS in LA is still our local guru of old school, straight-to-the-point gunfighting.

You can see Anson and Chris together in this AAR: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ne-5-7th-2010)

And here: https://youtu.be/zpytjhRbUeE
Lol @ Chris Costa. This is what guys in SOF think of him and other "theory based" trainers.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BroUe6PHXCT/
Old 01-10-2019, 10:55 AM

Hi everyone, good discussion and thanks for the suggestions. I will add the two additional suggestions to the list as training groups added during the poll. I will take pottymouth310's and mtenenhaus' comments as votes for Forward Assist Training and Active Shooter Defense School. pottymouth310and mtenenhaus, let me know if I should not count these comments as votes.

New Calguns Poll Posted!!
Vote for your favorite Firearm Training Organization in Southern California
HERE
Old 01-21-2019, 10:24 PM

Has anybody tried the NRA AR Challenge and AR Match events?
Old 01-22-2019, 11:53 AM

Another vote for Phoenix Tactical Solutions. Maani and Sean are great.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2019, 1:17 PM
Veteran Member

LAPD Academy!

They pay you to attend!
"Dear McDonalds cashier - Don't give me that look. There is no age limit on a Happy Meal. And don't forget the toy."

Old 01-30-2019, 10:05 PM

4 Days Until Poll Closes!!!
Old 01-30-2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olhunter View Post
LAPD Academy!

They pay you to attend!
But then you wlll shoot like a cop...

Old 01-31-2019, 6:59 AM

Max Ordinate Academy
Old 01-31-2019, 9:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEquestrian View Post
But then you wlll shoot like a cop...

LMAO

HERE
Old 02-04-2019, 4:00 PM

RESULTS!!!

OK everyone looks like the poll has closed for 2018!!!! The Top 3 Training Organizations in Southern California for 2018 are:

1. 12 Votes: Phoenix Tactical Solutions (PTS)
2. 11 Votes: Tactical Advanced Combat (TAC-1)
3. 11 Votes: International Tactical Training Seminars (ITTS)

Thank you to everyone who voted and participated in the discussion. I will be launching the next poll this November 2019 to rank the training organizations for the 2019 year. If anybody has any suggestions for the next poll please comment. Have a good year everyone!!!

HERE
Old 02-04-2019, 4:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

wow, ITTS has been in the top 3 for the polls for 2012 - 2013 and 2018.

not sure if there are polls for 2014-2017 but that is pretty good.
Proof we can all comment on whatever we want if it's at all related to the topic at hand!
Old 02-04-2019, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch705 View Post
wow, ITTS has been in the top 3 for the polls for 2012 - 2013 and 2018.

not sure if there are polls for 2014-2017 but that is pretty good.
Well, here is the list of classes that I have lined up for this year:
  • Anatomy of a Shooting
  • Concealed Carry Tactics
  • Carbine 3
  • Sniper 2
  • Masters Class (I already took one last December 2017)

Cheers...!!!

_
Old 02-04-2019, 5:09 PM

But, then again. Wouldn't people usually vote for whatever the class they've been attending? Like for me, only classes I attended were ITTS and Rob Vogel. If I was to vote, probably have voted for ITTS. It's not like hop around classes to compare for favorite one. I don't know. What you guys think?
Old 02-04-2019, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpark09 View Post
But, then again. Wouldn't people usually vote for whatever the class they've been attending? Like for me, only classes I attended were ITTS and Rob Vogel. If I was to vote, probably have voted for ITTS. It's not like hop around classes to compare for favorite one. I don't know. What you guys think?
As mentioned earlier in the thread, I have tried other schools before. But found ITTS the better one...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited by rodralig; 02-04-2019 at 11:04 PM..
Old 02-04-2019, 5:27 PM

i've only attended ITTS
Old 02-11-2019, 12:28 PM

Just took the Forward Assist Americas Rifle Challenge (NRA ARC Plus) at Burro Canyon yesterday.

First part of the day was all Rifle training (all ARs but one guy had an AK) covering trigger control, off hand shooting, speed reloading, shooting on the move, and more.

The second part of the day (the "Plus" portion) incorporated both primary(Rifle) and secondary(pistol) weapons covering drawing from the holster, proper grip of the pistol, transitions from primary to secondary, fast target acquisition, and more.

Had a blast and the instructors were fantastic. It was in the mid 40 degrees and pouring rain but a great environment to see what you and your equipment can do.

The class began with introductions and a safety briefing but after that it was all running and gunning.

Will definitely attend again.

HERE

Last edited by Maespinosa; 02-11-2019 at 12:31 PM..
Old 02-11-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
Well, here is the list of classes that I have lined up for this year:
  • Anatomy of a Shooting
  • Concealed Carry Tactics
  • Carbine 3
  • Sniper 2
  • Masters Class (I already took one last December 2017)

Cheers...!!!

_
I have Advanced Handgun, Sniper I and Sniper II lined up through June. Hoping Masters Handgun and Shotgun Basics/II will be available later this year. I wish there was more Carbine having finished III this past December. Unfortunately, the wife hates being left alone with the toddler monster for pretty much the entire weekend.

How did you like Masters?