Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 01-17-2019, 9:52 AM

Default My eyes are really messed up.

Playing around some more with my new Elcan Tr.

Maaaan are my eyes horrible. I’ve had Lasik in one (20/20 now) and the other is untouched.

Messing around with my nine power I’ve had issues with the crosshairs becoming blurry and disappearing completely. Really bums me out I spent Thousands on this new optic and this happens but such is life.

So last night I’m playing around with the 1x red dot. In low light all of a sudden my entire reticle turns into a giant fractured spiderweb. I blink and look around a bit and it goes back to normal for a second. Holy cow....

So I think it must be an astigmatism in my right I better try to left... so I swapped and looked down to see six red dots in a cluster in the center.

I’ve heard of some people with astigmatism seeing a comma instead of a crisp circle but what the actual F is this hahaha....

It’s not the optic as I’ve had several people spend some time looking through it in the same conditions and it works great for them. Is there a circus going on behind my pupils? It must be because of however Elcan builds their optic as I’ve never had this issue with any EO Tech or other optics.

I’m going to go get an eye exam hopefully next week but how screwed am I? This sounds far worse than other peoples issues with astigmatism I’ve read about.

Last edited by wilderness medic; 01-17-2019 at 9:54 AM..
Old 01-17-2019, 9:59 AM

Try looking through the scope with your good(er) eye.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooYah View Post
Try looking through the scope with your good(er) eye.

Not trying to sound rude but did you read my post? I did. They are both giving me different but horrific results
Old 01-17-2019, 11:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Have you experienced the same results after adjusting the intensity of the dot/reticle illumination?
Old 01-17-2019, 11:25 AM

Does lasik do anything for cataracts? I don't know. What you describe is the way both of my eyes were like before cataract surgery last August.

I no longer get the "spiderweb" or fractured dots.

Just a thought, because I know little about lasik. Maybe you are starting to get cataracts??

Good luck in finding a remedy.

Respectfully
Kyle

WE are the NRA.

_________+__________
Old 01-17-2019, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member

From what I've been told, most people are born with a lenses that aren't perfectly shaped. I think that's what having an astigmatism is. When we are young the muscle behind the eyes are strong and can contract enough to reshape the lens. But as we get older, around 40, our muscles become weaker and fail to compensate for the miss shaped lenses. Then we need glasses.

When you aim, close one eye.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:51 AM

I have adjusted the illumination. On the red dot, lower helped a little. On 9x, it happens with the illumination completely off too.

I’m under 30 but I imagine an eye exam will show if I hate cataracts? I sure hope I’m not ageing as fast as I feel I am haha....

As for glasse, If my vision is good how would I even get glasses? Clearl lenses?

I’ve tried with both eyes and one eye shut and experience the same thing. I guess that makes sense if whatever the issue is appears to be happening in both eyes independently.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilderness medic View Post
So I think it must be an astigmatism in my right I better try to left... so I swapped and looked down to see six red dots in a cluster in the center.
Just a guess, but I thought you were older than 39 y/o, but that's not the case.

Unless you can adjust the diopter (+) on the ocular you need something similar to reading glasses. Your eyes can't stay focused when looking up close. Your 20/20 is 20 foot distance vision.

Last edited by smoothy8500; 01-17-2019 at 12:58 PM..
Old 01-17-2019, 3:51 PM

Have you tried keeping your focus on the target and not the reticule and then the other way around. Maybe keep switching your focus quickly back and forth between the two and see what happens.
Old 01-17-2019, 5:43 PM

Yes Iíve tried focusing on both the target and the reticle.

Smoothy- Where do I even beging telling an optomotrist that I need glasses because Of my optic when my vision up close is great and my vision far away is great?

I made an apt a few weeks out. The lady I spoke to did say people of any age can get cataracts, even newborns. So maybe thatís it?

This is bizarre... This optic is like an acid trip for my eyes.
Old 01-17-2019, 6:21 PM

I've noticed similar problems with my astigmatism. On my best day a 2moa red dot optic looks like a comet or an 8 to 10 moa red star cluster.

I tried a true co witness red dot set up, flipped up the rear sight and used the small aperture, but left the front sight down and that cleared up the red dot a little bit.

Polarized lenses kind of help.

I've given up and am converting from red dots to optics thst I can work with. It's painful but there's no getting around it.

Edit: my prescription glasses don't help enough, either. My eyes are 20/30, and I pretty much just wear them when I drive at night as they don't give me much overall improvement, just distort things enough that I feel drunk when I try to walk.

Last edited by WalterJones; 01-17-2019 at 6:29 PM..
Old 01-17-2019, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Yes Iíve tried focusing on both the target and the reticle.

Smoothy- Where do I even beging telling an optomotrist that I need glasses because Of my optic when my vision up close is great and my vision far away is great?

I made an apt a few weeks out. The lady I spoke to did say people of any age can get cataracts, even newborns. So maybe thatís it?

This is bizarre... This optic is like an acid trip for my eyes.

Just prior to turning 40 I made an appointment because my vision seemed to have deteriorated rapidly in a short period of time. Told her how I couldn't read license plates, signs etc, etc. She explained how age effects vision over time, then did the exams. She says well I don't know what your complaining about you've got 20/20 in both eyes.

Then I remembered my one previous eye exam when I was still in high school. Had 15/15 in one eye and 20/15 in the other. Sure seemed like I was going blind. Now many years later I have readers in my shop, garage, car,truck and every room in the house. LOL

I had what your describing, it would be driving me crazy.
Old 01-17-2019, 8:10 PM

Unfortunately, as I got older iron sights and reflex sights became difficult to focus without some corrective eyewear. Red dots appear exactly as you describe, a cluster of grapes or comets. I use a +.75 diopter to continue shooting irons (M14 & match AR). Red dots and reflex sights needed a stronger "reading" script that the target is completely blurred making it useless. At least scopes can be adjusted enough to achieve a clear reticle.
Old 01-18-2019, 6:40 AM
Veteran Member

Have you ever looked through a pin hole to read, you can actually see clear and focus easily. The reason is, that when looking through the pin hole, it force's the muscle behind the eye to contract reshaping the lenses that temporally bring vision back to normal. They have pinhole glasses, and I have seen this invention, worth looking at:

http://www.eyepalusa.com/how-works.php
Old 01-18-2019, 7:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony270 View Post
The reason is, that when looking through the pin hole, it force's the muscle behind the eye to contract reshaping the lenses that temporally bring vision back to normal.
Actually, a smaller aperture increases depth of field. This is why match sights have a very small rear sight aperture. Unfortunately, this is not quite practical for the OP's problem with red dots or reflex sights.
Old 01-18-2019, 7:31 AM

Well this sucks a fat one. Thousands of dollars in eye surgery and fancy optics to possibly be doomed to irons. Life is cruel...

Right now I can tolerate it as it’s more of an occasional problem that drifts in an out. But damn... Oh how I wish my Elcan was just defective instead of my eyes being defective.

Think I might take a field trip to some stores and see if I can’t play with various optics to see if it happens with any others. Had no issues using m68s and eotechs in the military. Hoping it’s just this optic and my eyes didn’t change for the worse. I had an Eotech and rmr in my near future too...
Old 01-18-2019, 7:46 AM

Definately sounds like an astigmatism, i had one when i was young but it went away a few years ago luckily. Try wearing polarized lenses when looking through the optic. If that doesnt work try looking at the reticle through a BUIS.
Old 01-18-2019, 8:07 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothy8500 View Post
Actually, a smaller aperture increases depth of field. This is why match sights have a very small rear sight aperture. Unfortunately, this is not quite practical for the OP's problem with red dots or reflex sights.
Smaller apertures reduce the size of the circles of confusion, which sharpens an image.
Old 01-18-2019, 8:08 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Well this sucks a fat one. Thousands of dollars in eye surgery and fancy optics to possibly be doomed to irons. Life is cruel...

Right now I can tolerate it as it’s more of an occasional problem that drifts in an out. But damn... Oh how I wish my Elcan was just defective instead of my eyes being defective.

Think I might take a field trip to some stores and see if I can’t play with various optics to see if it happens with any others. Had no issues using m68s and eotechs in the military. Hoping it’s just this optic and my eyes didn’t change for the worse. I had an Eotech and rmr in my near future too...
Wait till you go to the eye doc. Might not be terribly bad news. Cataract treatment is pretty routine. And if it's glaucoma, well there is an herbal remedy I heard about.

Last edited by God Bless America; 01-18-2019 at 8:17 AM..
Old 01-18-2019, 9:47 AM

Quote:
Playing around some more with my new Elcan Tr.

Maaaan are my eyes horrible. Iíve had Lasik in one (20/20 now) and the other is untouched.

Messing around with my nine power Iíve had issues with the crosshairs becoming blurry and disappearing completely. Really bums me out I spent Thousands on this new optic and this happens but such is life.

So last night Iím playing around with the 1x red dot. In low light all of a sudden my entire reticle turns into a giant fractured spiderweb. I blink and look around a bit and it goes back to normal for a second. Holy cow....

Iíve heard of some people with astigmatism seeing a comma instead of a crisp circle but what the actual F is this hahaha....

Itís not the optic as Iíve had several people spend some time looking through it in the same conditions and it works great for them. Is there a circus going on behind my pupils? It must be because of however Elcan builds their optic as Iíve never had this issue with any EO Tech or other optics.

Iím going to go get an eye exam hopefully next week but how screwed am I? This sounds far worse than other peoples issues with astigmatism Iíve read about.
About a year ago I started noticing my right eye really driving me nuts, almost like there was a film on it. I would rub it and it seemed to get better, and I kind of just adjusted and ignored it. I did notice a very obvious change in my shooting, so much so that I now shoot left eye dominate (I'm right handed). I had an eye exam last week and half way through Doc stops the exam and says he's referring me out for cataract surgery?! I knew I had a slight astigmatism in my right eye........ Now I have a Posterior Subcapsular Cataract. It is NOT age related and there are several factors that contribute..trauma, head trauma, steroids, etc...
My red dots look like someone threw a can of tomatoes at a wall. If I close my left eye I can see 2 moons, tail lights, etc.... and everything is blurry from my right eye.
Needless to say I'm having the surgery.....soon. Hopefully you just have an astigmatism that can be corrected with glasses. Let us know how it goes.
Old 01-19-2019, 6:41 AM

Well I have had a handful of some decent head injuries.

“...like someone threw a handful of tomatoes at the wall.”

Good description. I’m starting to be a bit more thankful. I’ve been picking it up in different lighting throughout the day and noticed my non dominant(left eye) is far worse. At proper distance it’s tomato splatter. With my head back more it’s a cluster of wel defined individual dots.

Right eye is only rarely drifting in to the spider web deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless America View Post
Wait till you go to the eye doc. Might not be terribly bad news. Cataract treatment is pretty routine. And if it's glaucoma, well there is an herbal remedy I heard about.
Guns and the devils lettuce don’t mix. Haven’t you seen that commercial where the stoners pick up the shotgun and off themselves while laughing on the couch?
Old 02-07-2019, 11:54 AM

Looks like whatever happened to my eyes is a new issue.

I just went in and looked through some EO Techs and they were all fuzzy garbage. I’ve used these plenty before. Fml....