Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 10-21-2010, 9:58 PM

Default Question regarding POST Certificate expiration...

OK I possess a POST Certificate of Completion from when I graduated the Police Academy, I also possess a POST Basic Certificate which is awarded once you've been employed as a LEO for over 1 year.

My question, Does the Basic Certificate expire? Say you resign from your PD how long to you have until your Basic Certificate expires?

Looking for:

Smarty J-06, S-06, 30-30 Lever Gun
Old 10-21-2010, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member

IIRC, 3 years.
Old 10-22-2010, 3:56 AM

3 yrs is correct. You can then complete the requal course to reactivate your Basic. You must requal within 6 years from academy. Can only requal once. Once requal complete, Basic good for 3 more years, then if you don't get hired, you loose it.
http://post.ca.gov/post-requalification-course.aspx
Old 10-22-2010, 9:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtMike70 View Post
3 yrs is correct. You can then complete the requal course to reactivate your Basic. You must requal within 6 years from academy. Can only requal once. Once requal complete, Basic good for 3 more years, then if you don't get hired, you loose it.
http://post.ca.gov/post-requalification-course.aspx
^^^ This is on the money ^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazoE
I don't feel a thing when some cop gets ghosted.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:52 AM

What about if you worked for 3 months as peace officer and then resigned what happens to your certificate?
Old 06-05-2013, 12:08 PM

Same process as listed above but the three year date starts from when you separated.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If you were employed as a police officer, you won't need to retake the academy. Just the update. No time limit unless you were never employed.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:14 PM

Whats the update?
Old 06-13-2013, 8:20 PM

What's another academy just for SaG

Ernest Hemingway
Old 06-13-2013, 8:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Update=requal course
Old 06-14-2013, 2:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkprisoner View Post
If you were employed as a police officer, you won't need to retake the academy. Just the update. No time limit unless you were never employed.
I think you have to have received your basic certificate for this to kick in. So employed at least 1 year, prior to separation. If someone resigns prior to completing that year they would have to complete a full academy if the three years had past.
Old 06-15-2013, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
I think you have to have received your basic certificate for this to kick in. So employed at least 1 year, prior to separation. If someone resigns prior to completing that year they would have to complete a full academy if the three years had past.
If after three years they do not get hired after they have gone through a basic academy or if they resigned and were off the job more than 3 years they must requal but after 6 years they must go through a basic academy again. It does not matter if they have a basic, intermediate or advanced cert.
Old 06-19-2013, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuchillo negro View Post
If after three years they do not get hired after they have gone through a basic academy or if they resigned and were off the job more than 3 years they must requal but after 6 years they must go through a basic academy again. It does not matter if they have a basic, intermediate or advanced cert.
Doesn't the 6 year timeline depend on what year you graduated from the academy?
Old 06-19-2013, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Lou View Post
Doesn't the 6 year timeline depend on what year you graduated from the academy?
Its starts from the time you graduated if you did not get hired by an angency or the last day of employment with an agency.
Old 06-28-2013, 9:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Also I believe that becoming a reserve police officer will keep your stuff alive. If you got out for personal reasons and wanna have a out should you decide to re enter as a career try police reserves.
Old 06-29-2013, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin101677 View Post
Also I believe that becoming a reserve police officer will keep your stuff alive. If you got out for personal reasons and wanna have a out should you decide to re enter as a career try police reserves.
Yes being a reserve police officer or deputy sheriff will keep you certified however if you work for a state agency such as department of motor vehicles as an investigator your POST will expire because state agencies that fall under 830.3 are not required to have a basic POST certificate. They attend a specialized investigators basic course instead which is only 12 weeks long.

So if you have a basic POST certificate or attended a full time police academy and you get hired on as a state investigator under 830.3 PC your POST certification will still expire after 3 years unless you get on with a police or sheriff's department as a reserve. I know a few investigators that are reserve police officers so they can keep their POST active in case they wish to work for a PD, SD or Department of Justice later on.
Old 06-30-2013, 8:40 PM

Actually most investigator positions within the State of California are now requiring their new hires to attend the basic academy instead of the specialized investigator course. This may be due to the fact that the investigator course is offered on such a limited basis. As long as the agency is a POST certified agency and the investigators remain current with their perishable skills training, the POST certificate will not expire regardless of which penal code section they fall under. I know this because I happen to work at one of those agencies which fall under 830.3 and my POST certificate is still going strong after graduating from the POST Basic Academy 14 years ago.
Old 05-17-2016, 1:21 PM

So is there a requalification for the POST certificate of completion? Not the one being asked about after a year of service as a LEO.
Old 05-17-2016, 3:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatetheGr8 View Post
So is there a requalification for the POST certificate of completion? Not the one being asked about after a year of service as a LEO.
It's the same thing. Grad vs Separated just changes when the clock starts until expiration.

To go even more in-depth, the Modular POST Certs act the same. You have 3 years until Mod III, II, and I (equivalent to an RBC cert) expire.

If you take a break at III or II, you must have completed the final exam of the pre-requisite Module within 1 year before attending the succeeding Module. If it's been over 1 year, you'll have to find an academy that'll let you take the final of the pre-requisite Module before being eligible.

PELLET-B and WSTB exams will expire as well so those will need to be re-taken if required.

EDIT: Holy cow, necro-thread.

Radian & Aero Pistol lowers, Folsom

Last edited by code_blue; 05-17-2016 at 3:14 PM..
Old 05-18-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbu_yoshi View Post
It's the same thing. Grad vs Separated just changes when the clock starts until expiration.

To go even more in-depth, the Modular POST Certs act the same. You have 3 years until Mod III, II, and I (equivalent to an RBC cert) expire.

If you take a break at III or II, you must have completed the final exam of the pre-requisite Module within 1 year before attending the succeeding Module. If it's been over 1 year, you'll have to find an academy that'll let you take the final of the pre-requisite Module before being eligible.

PELLET-B and WSTB exams will expire as well so those will need to be re-taken if required.

EDIT: Holy cow, necro-thread.
That's awesome info! How do you keep your certifications while being a police officer then? It's seems complicated I'm sorry. Id have 6yrs to take the requal, then that'll extended another 3yrs passing for a total of 9yrs. What do you do to keep your certifications after that.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatetheGr8 View Post
That's awesome info! How do you keep your certifications while being a police officer then? It's seems complicated I'm sorry. Id have 6yrs to take the requal, then that'll extended another 3yrs passing for a total of 9yrs. What do you do to keep your certifications after that.
You have that incorrect. You have 3 years to requal then it expires after 6 years regardless of when you requaled.

The only way to keep your certification is to obtain Peace Officer status as the "clock" is reset and paused while active. The only way to "renew" after 6 years is to complete another academy then the clock restarts.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
You have that incorrect. You have 3 years to requal then it expires after 6 years regardless of when you requaled.

The only way to keep your certification is to obtain Peace Officer status as the "clock" is reset and paused while active. The only way to "renew" after 6 years is to complete another academy then the clock restarts.
I see thanks for the clarification. So as long I'm currently employed as a Peace Officer I will not have to worry about my certification expiring. Unless I resign in which case I could obtain Peace Officer status at another agency or department then the clock will reset and be paused; until another resignation if chosen to.
Also do leaves, such as FMLA, Kin Care and other short or long term leaves "un-pause" the Peace Officer status? Thanks again for great information. I can see only assume that you'd have to careful chart several dates to take track of your certification so that you won't have to take the academy again.
Old 05-19-2016, 2:17 PM
Veteran Member

You are still employed under those programs and I believe it is illegal for an organization to remove you from your position while invoking your right to utilize the programs. So long as you retain your status, you should be good.

What's the root of all of these questions? What are you aiming for?

Old 05-20-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
You are still employed under those programs and I believe it is illegal for an organization to remove you from your position while invoking your right to utilize the programs. So long as you retain your status, you should be good.

What's the root of all of these questions? What are you aiming for?
Im ultimately aiming to be a Peace Officer. I'm planning to self sponsor myself in the academy coming soon just wanted to get all questions I had out. There's not to many information available anywhere else that are direct and to the point like it is here. I still can't find out if I can use a student loan or any other financial aid program to pay for the academy I'm going to. While here there's links and solid information that not only answer my question but may provide answers for some down the line.
Old 05-20-2016, 2:05 PM
Veteran Member

Your best bet is to contact the specific academy and ask if they accept FA. It is up to the college that they partner with. Some city colleges will accept the BOG Waiver and some will not. You can always fill out your FASFA and take a Student Loan if needed.

If you obtain peace officer status, there is a loan forgiveness program for those in public service through the government. All of the details can be found here:

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-l...public-service

I completed MOD II about 2 years ago and finally have enough time and resources to take MOD I this Summer. All of my answers are from experience and verified research. Yes, I have gone through hiring processes; it is very, very competitive right now. So many laterals and veterans preferences out there that will shroud your chances. They deserve their points, but know where you stand and keep trying.

It is hard to work all day then rush to the academy especially if you have a family. If you can pull it off, it is well worth the education and experience alone. Best of luck to you, stay safe, and stay clean. Remember that EVERYTHING you do now will affect your hiring process and may affect the image of everyone else in the profession.

Study the LE Code of Ethics and live by it.

Last edited by code_blue; 05-20-2016 at 2:10 PM..
Old 05-21-2016, 9:46 AM

Quote:
Your best bet is to contact the specific academy and ask if they accept FA. It is up to the college that they partner with. Some city colleges will accept the BOG Waiver and some will not. You can always fill out your FASFA and take a Student Loan if needed.

If you obtain peace officer status, there is a loan forgiveness program for those in public service through the government. All of the details can be found here:

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-l...public-service

I completed MOD II about 2 years ago and finally have enough time and resources to take MOD I this Summer. All of my answers are from experience and verified research. Yes, I have gone through hiring processes; it is very, very competitive right now. So many laterals and veterans preferences out there that will shroud your chances. They deserve their points, but know where you stand and keep trying.

It is hard to work all day then rush to the academy especially if you have a family. If you can pull it off, it is well worth the education and experience alone. Best of luck to you, stay safe, and stay clean. Remember that EVERYTHING you do now will affect your hiring process and may affect the image of everyone else in the profession.

Study the LE Code of Ethics and live by it.
Thanks you very much you have no idea how much all this means to me! I wanted to take the modular format of the academy but I couldn't find anything concrete. A lot offered the III and the II would not be listed for awhile or it was to far form me like a 6hr drive or something. Then module I would be kind of like module III but I couldn't attend due to not meeting the prerequisite. Thanks also for the further reiterating that EVERYTHING I do will affect my process, I talked to some recruiters recently with a few buddie; one of my buddies was worried about two misdemeanors (shoplift and vandalism) when he was a minor. He asked them about it they pretty much told him it was small and stupid stuff you do as a kid and that getting it exsponged and continue to maintain a good morale character as a adult and he'll be fine. It was a big confidence booster for all of us to know that they were understanding, and relatable. Also in the academy when you begin the live fire portion or range portion, is it ok to use a non black firearm? I took a look at some of the "student needs" list and they recommended some firearms but didn't have any note that stated it had to be a specific color. I only assumed it would because in reading the list the demand for uniformity and maintaining a professional image real got driven home. I also have one more question that pertains to leaves which I left out before and I apologize for that. If I'm hired as a Peace Officer and I choose to enlist in the military will my job/status as a Peace Officer still be active/ paused, like the other forms of leaves? I assume because it's like another law that I know about that entitles military personnel to retain their job after enlistment and/ or deployment am I right? Also if you have the actual law handy could you link it? Thanks again I wish you only the best brother and good luck!

Last edited by NatetheGr8; 05-21-2016 at 4:28 PM..
Old 05-22-2016, 1:50 PM
Veteran Member

Those are academy and agency specific questions. You'll have to direct them to the respective entities.

Many, if not all, academies issue firearms to their recruits. Some give the option to use your own.

Note that academy recruits are entitled to the Glock Blue Label pricing schematic. You can only buy Gen 3 variants with 10 rounders, however.

Good luck to you.

Old 05-23-2016, 5:58 AM

I'm self sponsoring myself which is the only reason why I asked, also on the site they mention you must bring your own pistol during the range portion. Also I ask if it's possible to join the military and still retain your job as a Peace Officer, is because I've heard several Officers that have done that. Just wondering. Thanks again.

Last edited by NatetheGr8; 05-24-2016 at 5:18 PM..