Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 10:01 PM

Default BLM land near the Bay Area?

Hey guys,

So I went ahead and bought some BLM surface area maps for around the Bay Area to see if there's any nearby places I can shoot, but frankly those maps aren't the easiest to understand (at least for me). Is there an easier way to find these public lands where I'm allowed to shoot? Has anyone come up with a shooter-friendly map? Thanks!

Nolan
Old 11-22-2012, 10:15 PM

I agree . I gave up trying to read them .
Old 11-22-2012, 10:20 PM

I've been looking to find some BLM land to shoot as well. A shooter friendly map would be great!
Old 11-22-2012, 11:48 PM

call the BLM and ask
Old 11-23-2012, 5:39 PM

That was helpful, good thing you were here to solve that problem.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:07 AM

Closest land that I know of is Panoche hills off I-5 south of Patterson, about 120-150 miles from bay area.
Old 11-24-2012, 6:14 AM
Banned

behind cache creek or panoche are the closest places.
Old 11-24-2012, 9:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider510 View Post
Closest land that I know of is Panoche hills off I-5 south of Patterson, about 120-150 miles from bay area.
That's not too bad of a drive I suppose. Maybe I'll try that out. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamsucker View Post
behind cache creek or panoche are the closest places.
Is there a range behind cache creek or some of this BLM land? Thanks.
Old 11-24-2012, 9:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickcondon22 View Post
I've been looking to find some BLM land to shoot as well. A shooter friendly map would be great!
Yeah, if someone that knows these BLM maps really well spent a little time on Google Maps, they could probably map it out fairly easily.
Old 11-24-2012, 9:45 PM

Anyone have some specific directions for this place ? Have not been there since the '90's ... would like to take my boy out to shoot there. Anyone ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider510 View Post
Old 11-25-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
Anyone have some specific directions for this place ? Have not been there since the '90's ... would like to take my boy out to shoot there. Anyone ?
I believe this is the area he's referring to: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=panoc...m&z=11&iwloc=A

I double-checked with the BLM website and it looks like that's the spot you'll want to go to. You'll want to confirm that before driving out there obviously :-D
Old 12-20-2012, 11:14 AM

Depeding on where you are in the bay area there are a few place to shoot either on BLM land or on national forest land

The drive would be the killer to some

Cow mountain rec area

KNoxville rec area

Lake Pillsbury

All the above are fairly primitive

cow has a range for up to and around 300
+- yards

knoxville is kinda eh

Lake pilsbury is a longer poke range is at the end of the run way.

Depending on your mode of transportation and types of firearms your going to use cow is the best bet for most

They are all accessed by dirt roads

Winter access is limited to higher clearance vehicles

Simple google search will point you in the right direction
Old 12-20-2012, 12:54 PM

Awesome, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbud View Post
Depeding on where you are in the bay area there are a few place to shoot either on BLM land or on national forest land

The drive would be the killer to some

Cow mountain rec area

KNoxville rec area

Lake Pillsbury

All the above are fairly primitive

cow has a range for up to and around 300
+- yards

knoxville is kinda eh

Lake pilsbury is a longer poke range is at the end of the run way.

Depending on your mode of transportation and types of firearms your going to use cow is the best bet for most

They are all accessed by dirt roads

Winter access is limited to higher clearance vehicles

Simple google search will point you in the right direction
Old 12-20-2012, 1:10 PM

Knoxville is a no target shooting only hunting area
Old 12-21-2012, 2:01 AM

good to know about knoxville that has changed apparently back in 2006

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...sure_order.pdf

I have been up there with a 4wd club for a clean up at the old spot for range.

Never Personally have shot there just heard it mentioned

Usually tons of trash there

.................................................. .

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...th_Cow_Mtn.pdf

Map for north cow^^^^^^^^^

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/ukiah/maps_ukiah.html

more blm maps^^^^^^

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/ukiah/cowmtn.html

Blm info on cow moutain ^^^^^^^^^^^
.................................................. ..................................................
More info

Couldnt sleep so i decided to do a little research on what may or may not be closed etc

Dug this up about lake pilsbury basin

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/me...598&width=full

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...ev3_004553.pdf

Last edited by mudbud; 12-21-2012 at 2:09 AM.. Reason: info on pilsbury
Old 12-25-2012, 9:51 AM

Someone said they did shooting on the BLM down by Hollister. Been out looking at for more information and was going to call the local BLM office.

I found some info on the web. Most of the BLM land for shooting seems to be out off I-5. Panoche, Tumey and Griswold seem to be the places most people go
from what I found on the web. This was an email someone got back from the BLM.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/hollister/faqs.html

Thank you for your recent electronic inquiry regarding target shooting on BLM Land. The Hollister Field Office (HFO) manages approximately 315,000 acres of public lands located in central California encompassing 11 counties. Legal public access to these lands primarily exists in San Benito, Monterey, and Fresno Counties. There are basically 9 parcels which afford you the opportunity for hunting, hiking, target shooting, camping, etc – the parcel names are as follows: Panoche Hills, Tumey Hills, Griswold Hills, Laguna Mountain, Clear Creek, Coalinga Mineral Springs, Curry Mountain, Williams Hill and Stockdale Mountain. The most popular target shooting areas are the Panoche, Tumey, and Griswold Hills.

Target shooting is allowed on public lands, however, you must provide your own targets and remove your debris when you leave your site. It is illegal to shoot at trees, signs, outbuildings, or other objects on federal lands that are for the public’s enjoyment. Bureau of Land Management California policy is to allow the use of firearms on public lands, as provided for in state law, and to cooperate with state authorities in the enforcement of firearms regulations. Persons have the permission of the BLM to possess and use firearms, including lawfully registered assault weapons, on BLM administered public lands, except when prohibited by other applicable laws and regulations.

There are no designated target shooting areas in our resource area, but it is allowed as long as you observe the no-shooting restrictions in effect in and around parking areas and your use is limited to legal weapons and ammunition.

We do offer a Public Information Guide (PIG) – available for $4.00 – which includes an overview of our area. It contains maps (Xerox copies of hunting areas and where the trail heads are located), and information of all publicly accessible lands administered by this office. There are maps for each of the individual areas (listed above), plus a large scale map. The large map shows the location of each of the individual areas as well as major roads and towns. In addition, phone numbers and addresses for other agencies in the area, information on current restrictions (for example shooting or fire restrictions, season motor vehicle closures, etc), information regarding the size of the parcels and other general information pertinent to this office is included. A trail map of the Fort Ord Public Lands is also included in the package.

Additional maps that can be purchased are Surface Management Maps (SMM Maps). These maps are color 1:100,000 scale maps which show federal land status, cities, and main roads and are available for $4.00 each. There are
6 maps that cover our region, they are as follows: Mendota, Coalinga, Monterey, Point Sur, Cambria and Paso Robles. Be aware that we have been involved in many land exchanges, and these maps are not up-to date. The Hollister Information packet (Public Information guide) and SMM maps can be purchased over the phone with a credit card, or you can send us a check or money order made payable to USDI, BLM and mail to 20 Hamilton Court, Hollister, CA 95023-2535.

Other California Maps available for sale can be located via the internet at the following site: www.blm.gov/ca/caso/iac/maps_pubroom.html

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the office at 831-630-5000 – Monday – Friday 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Last edited by crawdadb52; 12-25-2012 at 12:05 PM..
Old 12-29-2012, 11:00 PM

I used to live in Newman. If you are looking to go down the five to shoot I would say you are better off going to Patterson, Crows Landing, Newman, or Gustine. That is if 100 to 150 yards is acceptable to you. The locals there shoot in the area between the berm built for the aqueduct and the berm built for the farms. Shoot all day and pick up you trash when you are done. Often times I would find targets that people had left there but they were usually pretty chewed up.
Old 12-30-2012, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTLP View Post
I used to live in Newman. If you are looking to go down the five to shoot I would say you are better off going to Patterson, Crows Landing, Newman, or Gustine. That is if 100 to 150 yards is acceptable to you. The locals there shoot in the area between the berm built for the aqueduct and the berm built for the farms. Shoot all day and pick up you trash when you are done. Often times I would find targets that people had left there but they were usually pretty chewed up.
directions?
My Father-in-law understands the value of the .45, There is a reason why it came to be. I have been told that it was used to stop Asian Pacfic people that were too hard core for lighter weight bullets.
Old 12-31-2012, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXMM View Post
directions?
Easiest spot to get to: Take I5 South, exit at Newman. Will be forced to turn left onto Stuhr Rd. upon exiting the highway. Follow the road past the off ramp for the North bound traffic and take the first right turn. This road will dead end, when it does turn left. Shortly after the turn you will come to a bridge that goes over the aqueduct. Cross over the bridge and turn right onto the dirt road that runs along the side of the aqueduct. As you drive down the dirt road a berm will begin to rise on your left. When you begin to see a bridge that crosses the aqueduct in the distance get out and look over the top of the berm every 1/8th of a mile or so. When you reach any f the spots there it will be apparent as there will be a nice depression over the berm and then a large berm about 80-150 yards away. You will likely also see old targets and lots of shell casings. There are more than one of these spots out there, you may end up at one with a shorter range than you are looking for, if so follow the access road further south to another spot. Good luck and have fun.