Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Bay Area Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2015, 6:04 AM

I think it's all subjective. Depends on the mood of the guys behind the counter. I've been in most of the shops between San Jose, and concord. I pretty much won't drive past one without stoping to make sure they don't have something I can't live without.

That being said, at this point most of my business goes to Tracy rifle and pistol. I see people rave about other places, and in my mind I'm like, are you friggen crazy?? That place is horrible. I have 3 shops here in town. 1 is overpriced, but the people are always decent. The other 2, I won't even step foot into. Yet I have friends who rave about them.

My particular job, I have to provide a amount of customer service. I treat my customers like they matter. Conversely when I go somewhere, I as a customer expect that kind treatment.

On that note, I read alot of bad reviews about Annie's guns. Met a member there last week for a ppt, and I can't say enough good things about those guys. I'd gladly take them business, and recommend them anytime. So how are there so many bad reviews?? It's all about perspective.
Old 04-23-2015, 6:25 PM
Banned

Coyote Point Armory in Burlingame is a very nice, new shop. Nothing but good things to say about them.
Old 04-23-2015, 8:11 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhondapilot View Post
Used to like Eddy's and bought multiple firearms and ammo from them. But their PPT policy sux (only between 2-5) and so I take my business elsewhere after being turned away on a 2 gun PPT (showed up right after their noon opening time and was turned away). Hey, some of us work and can only get away during lunch time and maybe the seller doesn't want to wait until the weekend to do the PPT
I find most store's PPT policy's suck (Not that it is right), but it seems it has become a norm in the Bay Area.

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/...CCAB7CE8D70F60
Old 05-27-2015, 11:33 PM

Default Gallery of Guns/Bay Area Gun Vault

I DROSd my gun that I reserved through gallery of guns.
I'd never ordered a gun from the internet.
The staff at Gun Vault were cool and helpful.
They open carry. I like that.
They didn't call me when my gun came in, but that's ok. I knew when it shipped via FedEx 2-day. There was a holiday this weekend. I expected to hear from them yesterday, but I waited a day. I didn't give them a call, I just went in. The gun was there and we did the paperwork.
I like that they aren't forcing me to wait one minute longer than ten twenty-four hour periods, as some other retailers just push it to the 11th day, because I guess it's too hard to tell what time of day the DROS began, for them.
Another place I went just went ahead and said come in on the 10th day and the released my gun to me a few hours early.

So far, using Davidson's and BAGV helped me get the model I wanted at a better price than Gun Vault would have offered it at if they had it in stock.
Curious about using GoG, I had previously went in to BAGV to ask how it works and to give them a chance to match the price I could secure from their own distributor or to cut them (GoG) out. The salesperson told me that it was all the same to them, but they just get a little less money if I go through the web.

"Ok", I thought. From my point of view, I'm going with the lower price, sorry you guys lose a cut, but I save a chunk, and I even tried to see wether it would be worth their while to just sell me one off the shelf.
The model I got wasn't on the shelf, but another gun I'm considering is on the shelf, and the GoG price is lower than their price on the shelf. So if I ever buy that one from them, even though they have one, I guess I'm dealing with their distributor directly and having one shipped while the one they have in stock is just going to sit there.

This experience of shopping with the gun genie and stock watch and ordering through GoG was (so far) pretty seamless. Well mostly (they never called me when my order came in)

And I'm going to go ahead and rate BAGV as good.

Funny side note, there was a well-to-do looking lady in her seventies (I'm guessing) shopping for her first gun. She was looking at revolvers. She had just gotten her FSC. It sounded like home defense was her purpose. The guy was very patient and helpful with her, I thought.
He tried to recommend that she took a professional handgun course and gave her the card of a recommended instructor.
He was trying to steer her toward a Ruger GP100, but she was enamored with snubbies, preferring the smaller look and lighter weight. When she was leaning toward a J-frame, he really advised against it. He offered a compromise of the LCRX, but she stubbornly blew off his advice and said "I'll take it" on the S&W.
I wanted to tell her to just get the bigger, softer shooting gun.... He had told her, using strong language like " this one will be harder for you to shoot" "less comfortable to shoot." "Smaller and lighter to be effective for concealed carry" but since you aren't carrying "that won't be any benefit to you"

I thought his patience was admirable. His advice to her was very sound. She wasn't really listening though. It was pretty funny. She said that she wanted the snubby, but if she felt like she needed a bigger gun, she'd just buy it later.
She went backwards, against the advice of the salesman. Oh well. He tried.

I'm now antsy. Jailing a gun makes me antsy.

Last edited by Jpzum; 05-28-2015 at 10:43 AM..
Old 05-28-2015, 6:53 AM
Triple Your Pleasure
CGN Contributor

That's why she's single.

Triple

LINK: 9mm Shootout: BHP vs 92A1 vs SP-01 vs P-01
Old 06-02-2015, 10:22 AM

This isn't exactly close to the San Jose area, however, if anyone ever finds themselves out in Oakley/Brentwood there's a great gun shop called Hook, Line, & Sinker. They're located at 3100 Main St. in Oakley, CA 94561. They sell everything from guns to bait to fish with. Definitely try checking them out, by far the best gun shop out in the Brentwood/Oakley area!

For Further Information:
Office: (925)775-4777, Office Hours: M-F 9AM-5PM
Facebook/Instagram: @DELTATACTICALTRAININGGROUP
http://www.deltatacticalgroup.net
Old 10-26-2015, 2:11 PM

If people are still interested, Baxt Innovations/Firearms has been great for PPTs/direct from distributor sales. It's just a single person running this business on the side out of an office so his pricing is extremely competitive.
Old 04-24-2016, 2:41 AM

The guys at Elite Armory seem to be among the nicest, but the prices seem high. Does anyone know if they are willing to negotiate on prices?

TargetMasters has a pretty nice selection of handguns and the prices are low. Gets crowded in the evenings, especially on weekends.
Old 04-24-2016, 7:37 AM

Try Mil-Spec Armory in San Jose.
They got rid of the one person there that was a bad apple and have hired a friendly and enthusiastic new staff. I purchased a RPR from them last week and will be buying a HK P2,000 next month from them!

Highly recommended.

Luke
Old 04-24-2016, 8:01 AM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

I have never seen a selection of black rifles like the one at Sportsmans Arms in Petaluma. That was a gun store. Small shop but omg what a stash of stuff. Gabe who runs the store is cool.
Old 04-24-2016, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu808 View Post
They got rid of the one person there that was a bad apple and have hired a friendly and enthusiastic new staff. I purchased a RPR from them last week and will be buying a HK P2,000 next month from them!

Highly recommended.

Luke
Thanks! Will check them out.
Old 04-27-2016, 7:12 PM

Although not in San Jose, visit Peninsula Gun and Tactical of El Camino Real. Deal with Janine. Shes the owner. The other sales guys are no bueno.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2016, 11:42 AM

Buying new in the Bay Area is insane!
*Bay Area Gun Vault usually has a good variety of consignment weapons.
*Kerley's Hunting & Outfitting has some good mausers in stock
*Red Skull Tactical carries those $15 ar-15 hexmags, but I don't think they have much on consignment, at least I didn't see much while I was there.

Buy ammo online using Ammoseek.com I like selway for my 9mm yavex at $10 for 50 rounds Nato.

What really grinds my gears in the fees for transfers from something like gunbroker.com. The shops will charge $160 and sales tax. That is bull****.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:02 PM

I've recommended Mount Pleasant Arms before and I still do. Great prices and excellent service...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2016, 11:02 PM

I've only experienced two shops in the Bay Area, and had great experiences at both.

Reed's - Now this place is full of stuff, and always seems to be busy. They have lots of different rentals, and it was nice to actually get my hands on something that I considered buying. Some guys seem new-ish, and some seem extremely knowledgable. One time that stands out I was helped by Kendall, who seemed extremely knowlegable, and nice. The time I first met Kendall I was brand new. Although I am prior service, I have never owned my own firearm and it had been years since separation. He did not have an ego, and took his time to explain to me some of the ins and outs of handgun ownership, and also some gun store etiquette as well, which was quite welcomed. He patiently answered all of my questions, and no matter how dumb I thought the questions were, he took the time to ensure me that when it comes to firearms there really are no dumb questions. I felt comfortable here.

Annie's Guns - This is my local shop. Chuck and Kalani are the only two gents I ever see in this shop, and they are nice as can be, and very knowledgable. This shop doesn't seem to stock nearly as much stuff as Reed's, at least not out in the open. I also have been coming here since I was new, and another standout experience was with both Chuck and Kalani answering my newbie questions. They took the time to acknowledge my willingness to learn by asking, and did not show me any ego at all. Very friendly guys. This shop is a bit slower than other places in the Bay Area that I've walked into, and I feel this is good because I've always sort of had the shop to myself to ask my questions and learn things before my firearms purchases. Pricing seems about 5-10% cheaper here than anywhere else in the area. I feel comfortable here as well.

With all that being said, we must realize that these places have to pay the rent, pay the bills. Sure, we can buy online for much cheaper. But you can never walk into an online store and shoot the ****, or ask questions and have real world answers from an old guy with a grey goatee. Personally, I greatly value the friendly service of our local brick-and-mortar shops, and will continue shopping with them, no matter how cheap online retailers can be. Support local business. They give back to our community much more than any online retailer.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2016, 8:36 PM

Visited two gunshops in Livermore today: J&R and Solar Tactical. Neither has particularly good customer service. Solar Tactical has a great selection of rifles.

Also went to Mil Spec in San Jose a few days ago, and customer service and attention given were both great. Great selection of handguns. Also, good prices.

Last edited by Mark77; 05-25-2016 at 7:36 PM..
Old 02-01-2017, 8:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnyardBen View Post
What really grinds my gears in the fees for transfers from something like gunbroker.com. The shops will charge $160 and sales tax. That is bull****.
BassPro charges $40 (yes, they make transfers as the salesman told me)
Mount Pleasant Arms $45
Old 02-01-2017, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark77 View Post
The guys at Elite Armory seem to be among the nicest, but the prices seem high. Does anyone know if they are willing to negotiate on prices?
The guys at Elite Armory has among the best service in the East Bay. However, their prices are on the high side and they are pretty firm on the price for their selections. I tried many times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark77 View Post
Visited two gunshops in Livermore today: J&R and Solar Tactical. Neither has particularly good customer service. Solar Tactical has a great selection of rifles.
When I went there, my friend and I were treat pretty good. However, I read many negative complaints from YELP. J&R and Solar Tactical is a hit or miss on the service depending on the days I guess.
Old 02-02-2017, 8:14 AM

Longtime lurker, just wanted to say how much I appreciate all these tips and especially the personal experience stories. Please keep em coming! I live in SF and finding a good gun shop has been a quest for me since I moved here. Going to check out a few of these places when I can!
Old 02-17-2017, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icyteddy View Post
The guys at Elite Armory has among the best service in the East Bay. However, their prices are on the high side and they are pretty firm on the price for their selections. I tried many times.

When I went there, my friend and I were treat pretty good. However, I read many negative complaints from YELP. J&R and Solar Tactical is a hit or miss on the service depending on the days I guess.
I have had much better experiences at Solar Tactical in Castro Valley. I would definitely recommend them.

Neither a Republican nor a Democrat. Partisanship will destroy this country. Glory to the USA, glory to Ukraine, and I hope that someday Russia is free and the normal people have a voice. Glory to the true heroes of Russia who fight against the dictatorship! RIP to Navalny, Nemtsov, Politkovskaya, and many other Russian heroes who fearlessly stood against the Russian regime!

AR-15 parts for sale:
Old 04-02-2017, 10:40 AM

Sportsmans Supply on camden Ave in San Jose should be avoided....especially by L.E.
Old 04-07-2017, 8:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sppotlight View Post
Longtime lurker, just wanted to say how much I appreciate all these tips and especially the personal experience stories. Please keep em coming! I live in SF and finding a good gun shop has been a quest for me since I moved here. Going to check out a few of these places when I can!
I also live in SF... tell me about it.
Old 04-07-2017, 9:37 AM

Elite Armory in Castro Valley and Annie's Guns in Fremont have been consistent with customer service. I've already have 2 recent FFL transfers at Annie's Guns and the last time I was at Elite Armory they helped me with an online purchased that was shipped to them.

I haven't had anywhere near the same quality consistent customer service in the the South Bay....while the one and only exception is Roger's Relics in Santa Clara, but I haven't done a transfer through them in a while.
Old 04-07-2017, 9:43 AM

always liked the crew at annies...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2017, 9:52 AM

"I find most store's PPT policy's suck (Not that it is right), but it seems it has become a norm in the Bay Area. "

Big 5 sporting goods is great with PPTs. Fast with no BS.

RMB in Milpitas is great for Internet & shipped orders.
Old 08-18-2017, 3:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu808 View Post

Highly recommended.

Luke
After your post i went to check them out.
very poor selection of guns.
Also, i had a question and was waiting for someone to pay attention to me standing in-front of them for more than 10 minutes. They were having a nice conversation going on between them. Apparently it was more important then me.

Mil-Spec Armory and Gun Exchange should be avoided at all cost.

Old 08-21-2017, 7:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbguns44 View Post
"I find most store's PPT policy's suck (Not that it is right), but it seems it has become a norm in the Bay Area. "

Big 5 sporting goods is great with PPTs. Fast with no BS.

RMB in Milpitas is great for Internet & shipped orders.
For PPT, I always go to metal dog tactical in San Jose and Jackson Arms in South San Francisco.

farwest FFL in Santa Clara and UGI imports are also GOOD for online purchase and PPT ( I personally don't have experience with these stores, but most of my friends are using Farwest FFL and UGI imports for online purchasing.)
Old 09-28-2017, 2:50 PM

used Farwest for both for mine, found out he gave me a discount when i FFL'ed two long guns from him at the same time.

add him on fb and you'll get updates if he's in or out. great response time.