Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 09-20-2017, 7:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thumbs up Bay Profs Basic Pistol Review

I attended Bay Profs’ NRA Basic Pistol at TargetMasters in Milpitas on Sep 9th (NorCal / Bay Area).

I had taken an NRA basic pistol as well as additional training (shotgun / HD) more than 15 years ago but dropped out of shooting for some time before taking it up again in the last year. My experience had also been mostly limited to pistols. I was totally unfamiliar with revolvers, and my shotgun experience is very limited.

I want more training and I thought that a good place to start was a basic pistol course (with an NRA cert) for a refresher, and thought it might highlight where my ego had gotten the better of my skills and technique. I searched Calguns and various web reviews before deciding to give Bay Profs a try.

The class was great.

Multiple instructors over the course of hours; very different experiences among the class-takers (including folks who had never held a firearm of any kind before) and the discussion was robust at times.

We were a class of 6; and Bay Profs had a minimum of 3 instructors present at all times. After much lecture and training with plastic / rubber training guns, we moved to airsoft training. This was the first time some classmates have ever fired a handgun, even if airsoft. When all proved capable of handling a gun safely, we moved to the range. We shot either a Buckmark or a Ruger MK1 in 22 at 5 – 7 yards to show safety and general familiarity with a handgun.

And then we got to do what I wanted to do in taking the course. AND WHAT MAKES BAY PROFS AN EXCELLENT CHOICE FOR INITIAL TRANING: not only did we get good training, we also shot 8 different handguns, in multiple calibers, in 5 lanes, with 6 instructors present. We got to shoot 6 different semi-autos and two revolvers: a Glock 17 and Springfield Target II in 9mm; SW M&P FS 40 and a 3rd Gen SW 4006 in 40; a Glock 21 and a Kimber 1911 in 45; a Colt Trooper MK 3 revolver in 357 and 38 special; and a Ruger Redhawk revolver in 44 special and 44 magnum.

The shooting options change depending on who among the instructors is there and what they’re willing to share with the class – these were all guns owned by the instructors. I don’t have any desire to own a revolver; but I also had no experience with revolvers – I loved getting the chance to handle and shoot them (even though I sucked, and my trigger discipline was horrible on the Redhawk in double action).

I learned a bit, had my ego checked, and also got to shoot a lot of guns I had not shot before – I had a great time.

I previously hated the idea and the possible cost (during various range visits with my own pistols) of renting lots of different types of handguns to get a feel for different styles and models.

BAY PROFS IS A GREAT CHOICE FOR BASIC TRAINING AND FOR GETTING TO HANDLE AND SHOOT DIFFERENT GUNS AND CALIBERS. As a beginner or someone who considers himself / herself comfortable with one “style” of handgun but curious about others, getting a taste of various hammer and striker-fired pistols in different calibers, and revolvers too, I found it money well spent.
Old 10-22-2017, 4:57 PM

Thanks for the review. I'm going to sign up.