Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Bay Area Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2016, 7:05 PM

Default Guns Fishing & Other Stuff Range is either closed or has broken lanes

I'm getting tired of going down there to find the range is either closed for maintenance, a private event, or 1/3 or more of the lanes are broken.

I received an e-mail from them today stating the range is closed this week on the 15th and 16th for maintenance. So I'm thinking I had better go to the range before the 15th. So I go down there today, the 12th, only to find out it is also closed today.

I'm glad they took the initiative to tell us they were closed on the 15th and 16th. But how much extra effort would it have been to have said they were closed today also.

Old 12-12-2016, 8:09 PM
In Memoriam

DB outfit.
-g
Old 12-12-2016, 11:23 PM

Go to San Leandro.

Yes, it's further out and not the quiet suburbs, but it's a million times better.
Old 12-13-2016, 8:11 AM

Go to the shop in Vacaville off commerce place.

John 14:6
Old 12-13-2016, 8:20 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfpcservice View Post
Go to the shop in Vacaville off commerce place.
This and they aren't DBs like Dublin

ESCAPE IF YOU CAN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

"The Second Amendment ex-tends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding." - The United States Supreme Court -
Old 12-15-2016, 1:43 PM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

Why anyone would set foot in thereis alien to me.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPimping View Post
Why anyone would set foot in thereis alien to me.
Well, depending on where you live and whether or not you want to rent firearms, there may not be a whole lot of options available.

There are certainly worse places, like Target Disasters in Milpitas. I guess I'll just call them each time I plan to go to make sure they're open.

Neither a Republican nor a Democrat. Partisanship will destroy this country. Glory to the USA, glory to Ukraine, and I hope that someday Russia is free and the normal people have a voice. Glory to the true heroes of Russia who fight against the dictatorship! RIP to Navalny, Nemtsov, Politkovskaya, and many other Russian heroes who fearlessly stood against the Russian regime!

AR-15 parts for sale:
Old 12-24-2016, 7:26 PM

Was there 3 evenings ago and all lanes open. Guy at front desk was nice but seemed to be too chatty with customers. Was waiting for 5 mins to check in while he was showing the guy in front of me his YouTube vid's. The other nit picky issue was the couple in lane to left, had a firearm that ejected shells over the lane divider onto my head
But at least it's an open range in the bay area!!
Old 12-24-2016, 8:15 PM
Calguns Addict

I went to the one in Dublin a few weeks ago and they were closed for cleaning/maintenance. No worries though. All of the other times I've been there, I've never had a bad experience. I've had good experiences so far. They're busy, but that's to be expected. Kind of like enforcing a 2 hour time limit on weekends (Livermore).

The more people that get to shoot the better. The better experience people have the better.

The more bickering people see within our own community? Not so good.

Happy shooting and be safe.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 12-29-2016, 5:37 AM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

I would have to agree that Target Masters is worse than Guns Fishing & Other Stuff. Every time I went there, I was swept with a hot weapon
Old 12-30-2016, 4:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I would have to agree that Target Masters is worse than Guns Fishing & Other Stuff. Every time I went there, I was swept with a hot weapon

The last straw for me at Target Masters a few years ago was a group of young kids on a date night crowding a single lane and taking selfies and carrying on like it was a bar. Hardly any attention to the loaded guns on the bench or others. RSO's were. It paying any attention at all. Hopefully they straighten things out before someone gets hurt.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 01-29-2017, 8:32 AM

Plus, you can't shoot your at target master in anything but 22lr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-29-2017, 8:32 AM

Ar-15. I hate spell check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-03-2017, 3:51 PM

I stupidly tried to take my girl to Guns Fishing etc etc to try and teach her how to shoot a .22 on MLK day. When we walked in a guy at the check in table was having a SIG inspected from a case, popped it open and the gun, pointed at us, was loaded. The staff (rightfully) told him he couldn't shoot and had to leave. 30 seconds later someone on the firing line walked to the back wall with his weapon and was covering about 10 people with his muzzle, while one of the RO's shouted at him from the other side of the glass, and I quote, "Do you realize you're pointing your FU**ING GUN AT ME?! GET YOUR FU**KING GUN OFF ME."

I told my girl we were leaving and took her to San Leandro where she had a great time.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

Friends don't let friends go to GFOS. Hell, friends don't let enemies go there either!
Old 02-09-2017, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
The last straw for me at Target Masters a few years ago was a group of young kids on a date night crowding a single lane and taking selfies and carrying on like it was a bar. Hardly any attention to the loaded guns on the bench or others. RSO's were. It paying any attention at all. Hopefully they straighten things out before someone gets hurt.
Yeah, last time I was there, people were shooting a shotgun/rifle like a bazooka. The shooter's backwards baseball cap flew off when the butt stock recoiled over his shoulder and he swept everyone around him while picking up his cap off the ground. Also saw at least one bullet hole on the wall that's behind the shooters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaterade View Post
I stupidly tried to take my girl to Guns Fishing etc etc to try and teach her how to shoot a .22 on MLK day. When we walked in a guy at the check in table was having a SIG inspected from a case, popped it open and the gun, pointed at us, was loaded. The staff (rightfully) told him he couldn't shoot and had to leave. 30 seconds later someone on the firing line walked to the back wall with his weapon and was covering about 10 people with his muzzle, while one of the RO's shouted at him from the other side of the glass, and I quote, "Do you realize you're pointing your FU**ING GUN AT ME?! GET YOUR FU**KING GUN OFF ME."

I told my girl we were leaving and took her to San Leandro where she had a great time.
Holy crap. Good thing I don't go in the evenings/weekends/holidays. There are usually only a few people shooting when I go, and the worst problem we've had was someone rapid firing.

Neither a Republican nor a Democrat. Partisanship will destroy this country. Glory to the USA, glory to Ukraine, and I hope that someday Russia is free and the normal people have a voice. Glory to the true heroes of Russia who fight against the dictatorship! RIP to Navalny, Nemtsov, Politkovskaya, and many other Russian heroes who fearlessly stood against the Russian regime!

AR-15 parts for sale:
Old 04-12-2017, 1:32 PM

DB's just got me too. Walked in, saw maybe 6 lanes in use and more empty. Mouth breather pointed to the list and went back to whatever he was doing. I asked him what the list was for and someone else said "there's a wait". I saw 3 names on the list and took another look at the range to make sure.
"Why is there a wait?"
"We got some lanes down, bro."
I just picked up my stuff and left. No use arguing with morons. Not the first or second time I've driven over to find it either closed or too many lanes down. But it is the last time. Poor range management and a no-weekend-ppt policy are making me start to wonder if it's owned by anti 2A's. Seems a good way to get people frustrated with shooting so they just find another hobby.
Old 04-14-2017, 3:18 PM

I haven't had any problems with going to GFOS in the past but I have only been there for a few of the advance pistol courses taught there.

Agreed that Target Masters is terrible. I will not go there on the weekends as I've also had loaded weapons pointed at me many times.
Old 06-13-2017, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Plus Targetmasters bend over backward to accommodate the Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia by taking down your personal information and address for everything you buy there. The last straw for me was a couple years ago when a douche bag employee wanted my ID for a Glock baseball cap.
Old 06-14-2017, 6:51 AM

I have mixed feelings for GFOS. Everything I know about guns and all of my guns are from this place. I'm considered a regular. The guys know me well and I'm treated well. The store itself is great but since the topic is the range, let me speak on that.

As of mid-April, I've quit visiting their range. I found my sessions there growing more frustrating everytime I visited. First, it was the long wait. It's great that the place allows for many to experience the unique freedom of shooting when they otherwise couldn't, but for a regular, a 3 hour wait is a little much. Possibly a reservation system is due.

Then there's the broken lanes. I don't need to say much. The frustration explains itself here.

The final nail in the coffin that caused me to leave my former "home range" is the crowd it attracted. Again, it's fabulous to see non-regulars and non-owners experience shooting. But I saw the range turn into a tourist hotspot on the weekends (only time I can shoot). This brings in people whose inexperience mixed with sheer excitement cause them to be a little careless, putting everyone around them at risk. I knew I was done with them when a group of guys swept the entire room just to get a good angle for their Instagram post. They were repeatedly told to stop by the RO. On the third occasion, RO came in and the guys and the RO got into a screaming fight—both armed. I trusted the RO, but not the Instagram "models." I packed my things and walked out.

The only time you can make me shoot there is if I'm test firing a gun they're selling. Now, I call the San Leandro range my "home range." I love that I can walk in anytime on a Saturday and the place is not crowded with tourists. The SL range attracts serious and passionate gun owners who live in the East Bay. Well worth the extra 15 minute commute from Dublin to San Leandro.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:56 PM

Seems OK if you go during the day before 3 (discount on M-T-W). I had to wait a few minutes while he showed a couple of guys the features of a rental gun. No biggie. I haven't been to Target Masters for over 10 years.
Old 06-14-2017, 1:18 PM
Calguns Addict

After everything I've heard and read, I wouldn't buy a pack of gum there.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: ‘I can’t wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Dude went full CNN...
Peace, love, and heavy weapons. Sometimes you have to be insistent." - David Lee Roth
Old 06-14-2017, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
After everything I've heard and read, I wouldn't buy a pack of gum there.
The store isn't that bad actually, though I haven't really purchased much from there before.
Old 06-14-2017, 3:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joezamboni View Post
Go to San Leandro.

Yes, it's further out and not the quiet suburbs, but it's a million times better.
I don't know about a million times better. The last time I went there, some dude was teaching a group of women to shoot and I got swept by a loaded gun multiple times. Wasn't the first time it happened there, but it was certainly the last.
"The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.
Old 06-15-2017, 6:55 AM

Fellas, the store itself is great and everyone is super nice (except one—you'll know who it is once you deal with him).
Old 06-29-2017, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member

Went there today to shoot, after they were closed M-W for pre-sale inventory and allegedly range repairs.

The range mechanical problems were worse than ever. I don't know what they did over the last three days that was supposed to fix problems, or how the lanes can be perpetually broken -- does somebody's brother-in-law have the service contract? I've been to a good number of indoor ranges and it wasn't until GFOS that the idea of "broken lanes" ever came up. It's not exactly rocket science or the first time anybody's designed an indoor range. Today not even the door to the waiting area would shut.

I would have said that running a sporting goods store isn't rocket science either, but apparently it is. The big inventory reduction sale today brought lots of buyers, but apparently nobody thought to add store staff. The line to check out was about 20 people deep, as was the line at the handgun counter (to what, buy? Who would wait for 20 handgun transactions, that would take all day!)

While waiting to shoot I got to listen to the usual "Golly whatever do we do about all these broken lanes?" Intermixed with the "No I can't gunsmith the gun you bought here, ask at the handgun counter (20 people deep)." "They sent me in here!"

Was about to bail on the day (for the second time) but finally got a lane after the old timer's social club cleared out to go to breakfast. The lane I got worked great. There were two other lanes up and lots of people waiting.
Old 07-13-2017, 8:05 PM
In Memoriam

Lanes apparently still broken.

Not sure what the deal is. Apparently they have an indoor range but are ambivalent about folks coming by and paying to use it.

-- Michael
Old 07-13-2017, 8:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Does not sound like they will make it. Although I have never been to this place, all I have heard are terrible experiences. Sad to see a LGS close. However, poor service and crappy facilities should not be accepted by any customer.
2. PW 800B converted to 800C (12 gauge) with lots of accessories and upgrades
3. Hornady 366 (12 gauge)
Old 07-30-2017, 8:52 PM

I haven't shot in the range.

But I'd like to just announce that the store was very supportive of the gunpocalypse referendum drive. The employees I meet were nice and the managers very accommodating. Obviously it didn't come to fruition but I got a LOT of signatures at that store. They should get some credit for that.
"On every question of construction carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed." —Thomas Jefferson (1823)
Old 07-30-2017, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -aK- View Post
I haven't shot in the range.

But I'd like to just announce that the store was very supportive of the gunpocalypse referendum drive. The employees I meet were nice and the managers very accommodating. Obviously it didn't come to fruition but I got a LOT of signatures at that store. They should get some credit for that.
Yeah, they were involved. I was offered to go there to collect signatures, but I didn't go on those specific days. By the way, VetoGunmaggedon was awesome. The people I volunteered with were awesome. I hope to meet them all again someday.

AR-15 parts for sale:
Old 08-02-2017, 9:59 PM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

So the store is closing? If so it's no loss. I was very sad when Kevin Smith retired but losing Guns Fishing & Other Stuff is no big deal at all
Old 08-02-2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
So the store is closing? If so it's no loss. I was very sad when Kevin Smith retired but losing Guns Fishing & Other Stuff is no big deal at all
The store sucks, but losing a range (especially one that allows rifle calibers indoors) is a big deal.

AR-15 parts for sale:
Old 08-03-2017, 6:23 PM
Calguns Addict

I've never had a bad experience there. Employees have all been very nice and friendly. Prices are high, but that's understandable. So is Bass Pro and most bay area gun stores. What would you expect?
The range is nice and you do have the same problems you have with a public range that rents. You get newbies. We were all newbies at one time and probably did some newbie things while being a newbie. Cut them some slack, welcome them to the sport, teach them and help them out. Being a jerk does nothing.

I hope they keep their doors open. We should all help support stores. Buy some stuff. Use the range.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 08-03-2017, 6:41 PM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

I guess that is the case. I guess I'm just spoiled because I have private property right near my house where I go shooting and I basically shoot any caliber I want. I cannot remember the last time I went and paid to go to a gun range.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:13 PM

Quote:
I guess that is the case. I guess I'm just spoiled because I have private property right near my house where I go shooting and I basically shoot any caliber I want. I cannot remember the last time I went and paid to go to a gun range.
That explains everything. For me, my closest options are: GFOS, the San Leandro Gun Range, and Target Disasters. Target Disasters is absolutely a no-go. The San Leandro Gun Range doesn't allow rifle caliber FMJ's. That leaves me with only one place. I like Metcalf, but it's far away. The Chabot range got closed down. I'd love to go shoot on BLM land, but I work 6-7 days a week, so that's not an option.

AR-15 parts for sale:
Old 08-24-2017, 7:44 PM

Wait so are they really closing?!
Old 08-24-2017, 9:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlim7193 View Post
Wait so are they really closing?!

Nope. I think the OP was just venting.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 08-26-2017, 9:29 AM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

That place could burn to the ground and it wouldn't make a difference. It's a terrible place to go.
Old 09-20-2017, 3:12 AM

GF&OS is what it is, and there is not nearly enough of these places available. How many stores carry loading supplies around here and where can you work with most calibers indoors at a 25 yard target you control with few ceasefires? Not many.

Lanes are generally inoperative because of intentional acts with *****hats aiming for the pully devices or just bad handling of firearms by inexperienced people who go there. They rent firearms which in and of itself is a potential for obvious problems. It's not hard to lend a hand to a new shooter and you're building bridges.

I actually appreciate the lack of breathing down the neck supervision I don't require.l at GF&OS. However, I also don't mind diming off an unsafe shooter to the range master or offering help to somebody who is clearly new to the environment. Think big picture here and encourage a new shooter in a polite way and we have a new 2A advocate. We also help preserve a dwindling resource at the same time.

The guys who work there are cool if you spend a little time cultivating a good rapport and don't treat them poorly as I've seen.
Old 09-20-2017, 2:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM350 View Post
GF&OS is what it is, and there is not nearly enough of these places available. How many stores carry loading supplies around here and where can you work with most calibers indoors at a 25 yard target you control with few ceasefires? Not many.

Lanes are generally inoperative because of intentional acts with *****hats aiming for the pully devices or just bad handling of firearms by inexperienced people who go there. They rent firearms which in and of itself is a potential for obvious problems. It's not hard to lend a hand to a new shooter and you're building bridges.

I actually appreciate the lack of breathing down the neck supervision I don't require.l at GF&OS. However, I also don't mind diming off an unsafe shooter to the range master or offering help to somebody who is clearly new to the environment. Think big picture here and encourage a new shooter in a polite way and we have a new 2A advocate. We also help preserve a dwindling resource at the same time.

The guys who work there are cool if you spend a little time cultivating a good rapport and don't treat them poorly as I've seen.

+1.
I've seen all manner of beginner shooters at GFOS. As I can, I lend a hand and try to help and be as encouraging as possible. Yes, they have scary new shooters from time to time. But, we've all been there at one time or another. If you never pitch in and say anything, it allows the problem to continue.

If I can, I go there early weekend mornings when the die hard shooters show up.

For the most part, the RO's there are pretty cool and always helpful.

If GFOS goes out of business, that's one less place for us to go shooting.
M&P 15 (Mine)