Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Bay Area Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2016, 11:59 AM

Thumbs up Setter Arms in Walnut Creek

Did a transfer with Todd at Setter Arms in Walnut Creek. Easy deal, no hassle. If anybody is looking for anything, give him a call he can probably get it and give you a good price on it.

It's nice to have another alternative in the east bay.
Old 11-11-2016, 9:26 PM

I second that. I've worked with Todd at Setter Arms a number of times, and he is good to go. I would not hesitate to recommend him; his transfer rate is $75 total ($50 fee + $25 dros) and he makes quick work of ppts. Not only can he can order firearms from distributors, but he has great prices on mags and accessories. He also does gunsmithing out if his Daly City shop, so make sure you check his website for the hours of operation (don't trust google- they posted hours are not correct). Be sure to stop by if you're in the area and support a new bay area ffl!

"I find it extremely improbable that the Framers understood the Second Amendment to protect little more than carrying a gun from the bedroom to the kitchen."
Old 11-11-2016, 9:36 PM

I have a FFL transfer headed his way, I look forward to checking his operation out. It's always good to have a new FFL in the East Bay!
Old 11-15-2016, 7:59 PM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

Where is this guy in WC?
Old 11-15-2016, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPimping View Post
Where is this guy in WC?
My FFL transfer hasn't arrived yet but according to the site he's in Walnut Creek on N. Broadway off Ygnacio Valley Rd: http://www.setterarms.com
Old 11-15-2016, 8:39 PM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

I will check out the new kid on the Block
Old 11-17-2016, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMaverick View Post
My FFL transfer hasn't arrived yet but according to the site he's in Walnut Creek on N. Broadway off Ygnacio Valley Rd: http://www.setterarms.com
Some folks report that it's hard to find- it's located around the back of the Tullio's restaurant building. Happy hunting!

"I find it extremely improbable that the Framers understood the Second Amendment to protect little more than carrying a gun from the bedroom to the kitchen."
Old 11-17-2016, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberallyloaded View Post
Some folks report that it's hard to find- it's located around the back of the Tullio's restaurant building. Happy hunting!
Thanks for the tip, only a couple more days until my order arrives!
Old 11-17-2016, 9:04 PM
In Memoriam

It appears to be near the WC Superior Court house off of Ygnacio.
One block North to the Post Office, across the street in the same building
as Tullio's Pizza.
What a country. Pick up mail, cross the street to have pizza, beer, and ppt.
-g
Old 11-18-2016, 8:01 AM

Just wish that he had at least one day a week with extended hours.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:03 AM

Have done a few transactions with Todd, great guy. As shops and ranges are closing around the Bay Area it's nice to see someone opening up. Hope he gets lots of business.
Old 11-21-2016, 5:07 PM

I've done a few transactions with him. Great guy--fun to talk with.

I listed some 'instructions' on finding his place here:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1250480
Old 11-28-2016, 8:42 PM

I purchased my last two guns there. He is awsome
Old 11-28-2016, 10:24 PM

Made my first visit this past weekend to begin DROS on an FFL transfer. Very nice guy, he also does his DROS filings through a smart phone app which is cool because it saves your info so you don't have to re-fill it out in the future. If you don't have a smart phone he has an iPad set up for you to fill it out on.

As others have said the place is a bit hard to find. Just keep an eye out for Tullio's and know he's located on the second floor. There's a doorbell outside his door but the door's unlocked during business hours so you can just go on in.
Old 11-30-2016, 5:45 PM

I found this place as it was one of the FFL at the last cow palace show. I ended up buying quite a few other things when I wet to pick up. Its a small shop, but had a little bit of everything, cheap AR, vintage 22's, garand, handguns, etc. He had a good black Friday sale. ($550 AR?), But the best part is that he's a gunsmith!

This seems like a good place to go in and order what you want. The likelihood of finding exactly what you're looking for on the wall is low.

I'll be shopping here in the future.
Old 11-30-2016, 6:11 PM
Veteran Member

I've looked at this guys web site, and sent him a couple of Emails with no answer (not recently I'll admit): What's the deal- is the Daly City shop kaput due to the oppressive tyrants in DC shutting him down? Is Setter doing gunsmith work in Walnut Creek or just transfers/sales? Last time I checked his site it was unclear to me if he was doing any gunsmith work at this time at either location.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum!
Old 12-01-2016, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWDHD? View Post
I've looked at this guys web site, and sent him a couple of Emails with no answer (not recently I'll admit): What's the deal- is the Daly City shop kaput due to the oppressive tyrants in DC shutting him down? Is Setter doing gunsmith work in Walnut Creek or just transfers/sales? Last time I checked his site it was unclear to me if he was doing any gunsmith work at this time at either location.
If you're interested in communicating I suggest calling during business hours. He's always picked up when I've called. As for what's going on with the Daly City shop I've wondered the same thing but haven't asked. So far both times I've been in the store there's been a line of people waiting (the last time with a really loud/obnoxious/nosy guy) and I wasn't sure if it would be a sensitive subject to bring up or if he can even comment on the lawsuit. If the store's more empty next time I'm there I'll ask.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:44 AM

Hey all It's Todd from Setterarms LLC. Thank you all for the nice comments and good advice about making the store more successful. I was recently told about this post and I wanted to reach out to all of you.

Someone mentioned the need for extended hours at least once a week. Im looking at doing that or two days a week to help with cutting people rushing to get there after the work day. Let me know what you think would be better for you guys/gals.

As for missing emails or Phone calls. I'm extremely embarrassed by this and hope that anyone who I've missed could try calling me during business hours or try emailing me at sales@setterarms.com. I will try to be more attentive to those things as I am a one man show and can only yell at myself so much before my wife tries to get me committed.

Everyone is asking about the lawsuit. I appreciate you following my story and how the city went beyond the law for political expedience and short political gain. Daly City has two new City Council people coming into office. Lets welcome these new Council members into the fray and hope that they will look at this with a new perspective. The Lawyers have been doing a fantastic job. I also appreciate the help from the NRA.

No matter what, I will continue this fight all the way to the Supreme Court if need be.

Thanks again and look forward to seeing you at the shop when you come by.

Very Respectfully,
Todd
Old 01-08-2017, 11:26 AM

Hey all we are going to do a massive ammo buy and sale. If your looking by the case please email sales@setterarms.com or come by the store. Also huge sale on ruger and Smith Wesson firearms. Our new hours are listed on yelp. Thanks for the support.
Old 01-10-2017, 5:02 PM

Had very bad experience shopping at this place , was new to firearms . Brought an AR15 and a G19 from him . Spent around $1800 . All came with only 1 mag . Plus bad attitude. Never go back again
Old 01-10-2017, 5:20 PM

B.S.
Old 01-11-2017, 6:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Kai Chen creates an account this month, logs in, slams SetterArms. What a tool!
Old 01-11-2017, 7:09 AM

Wow that's interesting. I wish this person said something to me at the time. I'm sorry if I offended you, I think my sense of humor might have rubbed you the wrong way. I don't quite remember the transaction, but I do believe that if I got you a g19 I had to replace the hi-cap mags with a single 10 rounder, but explained to to that you could wait for another g19 with 2-10 rounders. You chose to buy the one you could get at the time. Again I wish you said something at the time especially if I was offending you.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:22 AM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

I will check out Todd myself. Local to me is always a plus.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadmike View Post
Did a transfer with Todd at Setter Arms in Walnut Creek. Easy deal, no hassle. If anybody is looking for anything, give him a call he can probably get it and give you a good price on it.

It's nice to have another alternative in the east bay.
Don't know how he stays in business with his hours of operation, 10am -4pm and closed on the weekends. Business might dramatically improve if he is opened if he extends his hours into the evening when working folks can swing by to support him.
Old 01-15-2017, 8:21 AM

Todd's a good guy, built my AR-308 upper. I wouldn't hesistate to recommend him.

The "attitude" might be, like a Todd says, a misunderstanding. I appreciate his sense of humor.
Old 01-15-2017, 9:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cire raeb View Post
Don't know how he stays in business with his hours of operation, 10am -4pm and closed on the weekends. Business might dramatically improve if he is opened if he extends his hours into the evening when working folks can swing by to support him.
Notwithstanding the merit of some of what you've said, he is open on Saturdays from 10-2.

Old 01-16-2017, 1:11 AM

Transferred a Spike's Tactical complete rifle in July 2016 and a stripped Noveske lower receiver just before the New Year!

Todd is my go-to FFL! Always respectful and that attitude is actually personality.

Rock on, Brother!
Old 01-17-2017, 8:16 PM

Thanks peeps. We have changed hours. Mon-tue 10-4, wed gunsmith day closed, thurs 12-7, fri 10-4, sat 10-2 (2nd and 4th every month), Sun closed. We might do every sat, but I'm trying to watch my daughters sports games..etc....thanks for your continuing support. FYI we are about to close ammunition savings. Like extreme savings! Come by and see me for details.
Old 03-16-2017, 9:41 AM

Any update on the status of the Daly City shop? I live in SF, and would really like to patronize a new LGS. Looking for mags and ammo (22lr, 45) rn... Does he do that out of Daly City?
Old 03-16-2017, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sppotlight View Post
Any update on the status of the Daly City shop? I live in SF, and would really like to patronize a new LGS. Looking for mags and ammo (22lr, 45) rn... Does he do that out of Daly City?
Nothing was definite, but the last conversation I had with him about it (last month) he pretty much said Walnut Creek is going to be it. Not worth the hassle and time with the issues the community was giving him. He still does his gunsmithing out in Daly City (not a storefront)--not sure if he accepts items for smithing outside of the Walnut Creek storefront though.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2017, 2:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just got my rifle back from him over the weekend. Simple fix (for him) but happy customer (me). Many thanks.

You guys out there give me some business. He deserves it.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Good to see that he's establishing himself in the area and expanding!!! In the hunt for a new gun (wife) and need options that don't pillage the pocketbook!
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 04-03-2017, 3:07 PM

Things were hectic before new years and he was definitely stressing yet he came through and helped people even non customers with questions.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Just got off the phone with him. Quick answers and good guy. Definitely going to be my go-to from now on.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 04-06-2017, 8:11 AM

Todd is great...I just DROS a Cz97b and PPT a BHP on 4/1. I'm new to firearms hobby and Todd hasn't made me feel uncomfortable in his shop the few times I've used his services. I like his humor, some might not...but I like straightforward people and will continue supporting his business
Old 04-06-2017, 8:17 AM

Kai_chen it's impossible you "brought" those firearms you should proofread before posting a disgruntled review about setterarms.
Old 04-06-2017, 7:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Just to update his hours. Note that his availability on Saturdays vary each week, so better to call to make sure he's there.

Mon: 10:00 am - 12:30 pm. 1:30 pm - 4:00 pm
Tue: 10:00 am - 12:30 pm. 1:30 pm - 4:00 pm
Wed: Closed
Thu: 12:00 pm - 3:30 pm. 4:30 pm - 7:00 pm
Fri: 10:00 am - 12:30 pm. 1:30 pm - 4:00 pm
Sat: 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
Sun: Closed

He'll be at the gun show this weekend.

His Yelp page mentions an App to speed up the DROS process? Anyone know what it is?

Thanks!!!
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 04-08-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
His Yelp page mentions an App to speed up the DROS process? Anyone know what it is?
He submits DROS applications electronically. You download an app called "AIMI e4473" and fill out your profile info before answering the standard Yes/No questions. You then submit it and he fills out his part electronically and sends it in. It saves time because on future visits the profile part (name, address, SSN, etc.) is already saved on your phone so you don't have to re-enter it all over again and can jump straight to question 11.

If you don't have a smart phone he has an iPad mounted on his counter that you can fill out your application on. Obviously in this case you won't be able to save time for future purchases or transfers as your info won't be saved on the tablet.
Old 04-08-2017, 1:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMaverick View Post
He submits DROS applications electronically. You download an app called "AIMI e4473" and fill out your profile info before answering the standard Yes/No questions. You then submit it and he fills out his part electronically and sends it in. It saves time because on future visits the profile part (name, address, SSN, etc.) is already saved on your phone so you don't have to re-enter it all over again and can jump straight to question 11.

If you don't have a smart phone he has an iPad mounted on his counter that you can fill out your application on. Obviously in this case you won't be able to save time for future purchases or transfers as your info won't be saved on the tablet.
Cool!!! Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

Updated to add: VERY neat! Opened the app and I was able to scan the barcode on the back of my Drivers License and it autofilled most of my info! Just had to fill in a few things. Very easy and user friendly.
M&P 15 (Mine)

Last edited by XDJYo; 04-08-2017 at 2:49 PM..