Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Bay Area Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2017, 6:27 PM

Default Updates to Richmond Rod Club Range

Visited the Richmond range last weekend, and there were a few updates to protocol and safety I thought would be useful to share. I'm doing this by memory, so please chime in and update as needed.
  1. All rifles must be boresighted and verified by a range officer before shooting. The range officers check on bolt rifles by looking down the barrel after the bolt is removed, and checking the sight picture on the scope / dot / irons. AR's are checked by removing the upper, charge handle, and bolt, and similarly looking down the barrel and checking the sight picture with the scope / dot / irons. You'll get a card verifying the boresight by the range officer for subsequent visits.
  2. No centerfire rifle shooting on the 50yd line. (targets stay placed at 100yds)
  3. No offhand shooting on 100yd line. Benchrest only

For boresighting, if you're not already dialed in, or got a new scope/optic/whatever, save some time, and sight in at home first. You just need to make sure the rifle is safe (unloaded), have steady rest, remove the bolt/etc to see down through the barrel at an object a distance away (suggest at least 25 yds), then without moving anything check the sight picture in the scope/optic. If needed, without moving the rifle, adjust the scope/optic as necessary to match the sight picture seen down through the barrel.

I'm not an expert on boresighting, but have done my rifles before, and it's an easy process. I visually boresight, and haven't used a laser or other device. Once at the range, only small adjustments are needed to dial in on target.

With a quick search, I found the following article on how to bore-sight a bolt action rifle: https://www.thoughtco.com/how-to-bor...-scope-1927204

Leupold also has a YouTube video on mounting a scope that covers boresighting as well in 2 parts. Part 1 is at https://youtu.be/qyuoAskXZmw

Hope that helps, sight in well, be safe.
Old 03-15-2017, 6:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Sounds like a real PITA.
Old 03-15-2017, 6:44 PM
✰ Sometimes I Fly Armed
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 U.S. Code § 798

WTF???

What is the point of the range performing a boresight?

-------
Old 03-15-2017, 6:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubermcoupe View Post
WTF???

What is the point of the range performing a boresight?

People don't and shoot over the berm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2017, 7:16 PM
✰ Sometimes I Fly Armed
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 U.S. Code § 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishMike View Post
People don't and shoot over the berm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I see.

How do they boresight AKs?

-------
Old 03-15-2017, 7:32 PM
Veteran Member

No offhand?Not surprising ,most 100yd bench shooters cant shoot a group smaller than a highpower shooter at 200yds.
Old 03-15-2017, 7:45 PM

sounds pretty idiotic
Old 03-16-2017, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubermcoupe View Post
How do they boresight AKs?
I'm actually not that familiar with AK's. Is there a way to remove the bolt and see down the barrel like in an AR?

If not, I could be wrong, but I believe they're test fired on the 25yd line to check the scope / dot / irons.

And while it may be another step to verify boresight, it's a good thing. I've seen a lot of the frames get chewed up by shooters not on paper, and a few really wild first time sight in shooters WAY off target.

The no center-fire on 50yd is a bummer to me, hard to red dot or iron sight at 100, I need a separate spot scope to check hits, and 100 is farther and harder to initially dial in. But I assume its a safety change from the trajectory of bullets going thru the 50 up and over the berm to the action range behind the 100.

Last edited by PhoReal; 03-16-2017 at 1:08 PM..
Old 03-16-2017, 1:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFV View Post
sounds pretty idiotic
Either this minor inconvenience or risk closure of one of the last ranges in the area.

Not sure if you know why USI was closed .

People show up and start shooting with no idea of point of impact and there were stray rounds over berms, bouncing off the ground , going into the parking lot and into the next bays .

If you have a better way to solve the issue, please post it .
Old 03-27-2017, 10:48 AM

The two leftmost spots on 25yd range should be reserved for rifle sight-in.
I couldn't get any round on paper at 100yd after rifle was boresighted at range office. And I just verified the scope BDC lines worked as expected out to 600yds last month.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseless View Post
The two leftmost spots on 25yd range should be reserved for rifle sight-in.
They are, ask a RO for help if there are no targets, use the free standing ones .
Old 03-27-2017, 11:04 PM

I went last week with my Mosin and an AR. they detached the upper off my Ar and boresighted it without touching any of my sights. The guy said they just want to make sure its on paper. Same with the mosin

However.... as soon as my brother in law started shooting the Mosin and they couldn't judge where the impact was i had to case up the rifle. They REALLY dont want Bullets going over the berm. the RSOs will always be the final judge when it comes to this stuff.

I think what they did was fair. i rather deal with this minor inconvenience then have no place to shoot tbh.

Great Range, Great folks..would def come back after i have my rifles zeroed.
Old 03-28-2017, 7:18 AM
Veteran Member

I'll pass on this info.. some RO's you can talk to.. others are like talking to a brick wall.. I just try to be the wrecking ball when talking to those specific ones Good suggestions and it is a learning curve..
Old 03-28-2017, 7:24 AM
The Kilted One
CGN Contributor

I have also communicated it to the head of the rifle range this morning. New procedures are being written up and communicated to all ROs.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. It's a learning curve like Sargenv said.
Old 03-28-2017, 8:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargenv View Post
I'll pass on this info.. some RO's you can talk to.. others are like talking to a brick wall.. I just try to be the wrecking ball when talking to those specific ones Good suggestions and it is a learning curve..
Talking about the short fat guy with a beard who looks line one of The Seven Dwarves?
Old 03-28-2017, 8:48 AM
Veteran Member

Some protocol should be in place for highpower shooters.Most will reserve their time for the 200yd line ,but I have used 100yd spot on the end for practice.Off-hand would be off limits to a experienced shooter?Off-hand by classification?NO off-hand at all ,so as to not upset the public being told no?
Old 03-28-2017, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cire raeb View Post
Talking about the short fat guy with a beard who looks line one of The Seven Dwarves?
That could be a couple of them.. though if you are a member of the club, you could step up and volunteer to help If not a member, get your membership then step up and volunteer.. no one on any of the lines are paid.. all are volunteer range officers.. I know some ranges require their membership to be voluntold when to work.. others have paid range officers.. that is not the case at RRGC.

Last edited by sargenv; 03-28-2017 at 10:14 AM..
Old 03-28-2017, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpower790 View Post
Some protocol should be in place for highpower shooters.Most will reserve their time for the 200yd line ,but I have used 100yd spot on the end for practice.Off-hand would be off limits to a experienced shooter?Off-hand by classification?NO off-hand at all ,so as to not upset the public being told no?
Likely a case by case basis but right now I believe it's not allowed.. Just too many people who do not have your level of expertise are slinging rounds where they should not be..
Old 06-06-2017, 7:35 PM

How do they boresight AK's?

I took my AK and M1 Carbine to the range and they had me put two rounds (each rifle) on paper at the 25 yd line.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:18 PM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

Thank God I shoot at private clubs in private property. I couldn't tolerate all that funny business