Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 09-21-2018, 3:52 PM
Head Janitor

Oh boy, looks like someone’s panties are WAY bunched up!!

I wonder how this will all turn out????
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Old 09-21-2018, 4:04 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Oh boy, looks like someone’s panties are WAY bunched up!!

I wonder how this will all turn out????

I would much rather talk knives and knife fighting but it seems there all always a-holes that want to attack you, insult you because they have such tiny insignificant lives they don't have anything constructive to say so that is their passion in life. Sarcasm, innuendo, back stabbing are their tools of trade because they can't hold a decent strait forward honest conversation.

Your damn right Kestryll, some Jar Head jumps me saying I have no right saying I am a Vietnam Era Veteran when I served in the Army from 1971-1973 and 1972-1973 was on Okinawa. I helped establish the first Drug Suppression Unit on Okinawa. Yes, it was not all glamorous when my platoon had to provide security for the "piss test" guys that went out to units but we also busted drug dealers and suppliers. They sometimes shot at us and we sent them to Fort Leavenworth. The worst of the worst if they were operating off post we let the Japanese Law Enforcement have as it meant an automatic life sentence. Vietnam Vets have all the glory coming to them for what they went through in Vietnam. But for one to attack me for my service crosses the line for me. Vietnam Era Vets are military personnel who served during that period are said to have been on active duty during the Vietnam Era no matter where they may have been stationed around the world. https://www.definitions.net/definition/Vietnam%20Era I don't care what some senile half crazy Vietnam vet rants about! If it applies that goes for you to crufflers! None of you know nothing about me, my training, or what I have been through so if you don't like me go sit on a live land mine. I don't know where the moderating is around here, AWOL it seems.

Last edited by Paparock; 09-21-2018 at 4:46 PM..
Old 09-21-2018, 4:26 PM
Head Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paparock View Post
Your damn right, some Jar Head jumps me saying I have no right saying I am a Vietnam Era Veteran when I served in the Army from 1971-1973 and 1972-1973 was on Okinawa. Vietnam Vets have all the glory coming to them for what they went through in Vietnam. But for one to attack me for my service crosses the line for me. Vietnam Era Vets are military personnel who served during that period are said to have been on active duty during the Vietnam Era no matter where they may have been stationed around the world. https://www.definitions.net/definition/Vietnam%20Era I don't care what some senile half crazy Vietnam vet rants about! That goes for you to crufflers! None of you know nothing about me, my training, or what I have been through so if you do like me go sit on a live land mine. I have tried being civil with you and it has not worked so well so if you want a piece of me just let me know since the moderators don't seem to be moderating. I'm Always up for a duel!
Oh Lord, a duel? LOL! Tell me, have you ever actually struck another human being with a sword?

I’m not a Mod, I’m the owner of the site and frankly I don’t give a damn about your ego, how offended you are or how tight your knickers are twisted around your nuts.

We have rules here, many of which revolve around NOT engaging in insults, name calling, snide personal remark and generally acting like a petulant jerk.

And you are breaking those rules far too frequently.

So let’s spare ourselves the juvenile posturing and cut to the chase.
Knock the crap off or get banned, is that clear?
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Old 09-21-2018, 4:53 PM

Question

Quote:
Oh Lord, a duel? LOL! Tell me, have you ever actually struck another human being with a sword?

I’m not a Mod, I’m the owner of the site and frankly I don’t give a damn about your ego, how offended you are or how tight your knickers are twisted around your nuts.

We have rules here, many of which revolve around NOT engaging in insults, name calling, snide personal remark and generally acting like a petulant jerk.

And you are breaking those rules far too frequently.

So let’s spare ourselves the juvenile posturing and cut to the chase.
Knock the crap off or get banned, is that clear?

No, I almost broke one guys back but the paralysis was only temporary and several friends stopped me from beating a guy to death once back in my wayward youth if that counts.

That is fine by me I will gladly abide by those rules! I will be sending you notices when others do not follow them like crufflers and Bicky above.

Last edited by Paparock; 09-21-2018 at 5:04 PM..
Old 09-21-2018, 5:04 PM
Head Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paparock View Post
No, I almost broke one guys back but the paralysis was only temporary and several friends stopped me from beating a guy to death once back in my wayward youth if that counts.

That is fine by me I will gladly abide by those rules! I will be sending you notices when others do not follow them like crufflers above.
Oh boy, we got a tough guy here. Whatever, no one is impressed.

Understand one thing, cruffler pointing out your history is not ‘harassment’ it’s simply posting your history so save the snowflake reports but if there’s a real violation of the rules by all means report it.
Old 09-21-2018, 5:11 PM

Cool

Quote:
Oh boy, we got a tough guy here. Whatever, no one is impressed.

Understand one thing, cruffler pointing out your history is not ‘harassment’ it’s simply posting your history so save the snowflake reports but if there’s a real violation of the rules by all means report it.

And I ask no one to be impressed. You asked if I had ever hit anyone with a sword. I answered no only with my hands and the results during my wayward youth. I think I will save you the trouble and just leave. It will be no great loss to either parties involved. Oh, please stop sending emails to my computer. Thanks.

Last edited by Paparock; 09-21-2018 at 5:14 PM..
Old 10-09-2018, 11:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt1372 View Post
Running out of cheap knives to buy and am just now revisting Spydercos.
CentofanteIII is a great one. Ulize is good.

I like the plain edge tanto Blur, like the BDZ1's, that's the Blur I kept. Got rid of the S30V Onion shaped one.

Rexford ZT's are great.
Old 10-10-2018, 2:11 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
More good info.

The Cento Spyderco is a nicely designed general purpose knife which is frankly a bit boring to me.

On the other hand, the Ulize is VERY appealing to me because of its 4+ inch blade and LEO focus but it's one of those discontinued knives that is in the $300 asking price range that I'm as yet unwilling (if not unable) to pay because I have a hard time justifying paying for a knife what will buy me a gun. Not sure I'll ever get past this psychological price barrier.
Have seen but am not yet a fan of Rexford designed knives. May actually own one already but can recall which one that is if I do.

My current focus is on knives designed by Onion, Hinderer, RJ Martin and Les George but I'm sure other designers including Rexford will come to my attention after my interest in these designers has played out.
The Ulize was always a $100-$120 knife... dunno what Ebay says if it is discontinued. It is one recurve that I like.

The CentofanteIII is easy to use one handed and a lockback - way cool. Plus actually slices as well as anything - nice thin hollow ground blade. Manages to feel tough enough and super light. One of the Spydercos that doesn't look like a bird skull.

For inexpensive Kershaw the RJ I and II are really nice... fast, G10 on both sides. Frame locks are not as confidence inspiring... Rexford would be an exception with beefed up frames that seem immune to the issues you can have with some frame locks gripping the detent into the handle. 0801, 0808, 0804... yeah George is great, the 0909 is usually the one I carry - another one that's not a framelock. Whatever fits your hand... if it is feels awkward or slippery I eventually don't carry it.
Old 10-10-2018, 9:00 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
The Cento looks,like a fine knife but nothing unique enough to make it appealing to me.

Which Kershaw RJ Martins are you referring to -- the Volts?
Well IMHO, you have to use the CentoIII, open close it, cut with it, feel light weight, hahah. It is a great Spyderco. Great looking too.

RJI, RJII...

dunno if they are still available, I am not a Kershaw rep I had both, gave one away. It is one of my favorite cheap Kershaws... knives like the Thermite are pretty popular and I have had a few of those, but they are really sub par compared to knives like the RJ's that are in the same price range IMHO. But if you have a dozen dupes of any $20 knife there will be a lot of variance in fit and finish. Step up to a $40 Blur and that issue evaporates.
Old 10-10-2018, 9:14 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I guess those RJ's were 2011 models. I have been collecting folding knives too long. Then again, the Blur is still chugging along. I think I will just dump all my folders and buy one more 0909, and keep a few traditionals... a single blade and something with a bottle opener.

Kershaw releases ten thousand new models every year. Some good ones get discontinued.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Seems like Kershaw (and other makers) discontinue
Yeah for expensive knives that are great designs but poor sellers... getting discontinued means you can grab a $200 knife for $100 or similar. Spydercos go super low in price when they get discontinued.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
That hasn't been my impression, at least w/the discontinued knives that interest me. They just seem to get more expensive.

One Sypderco line that has caught my attention are the Emerson variations. The blade shapes suck and but the concept is intriguing to me and I'll probably buy one before they get discontinued and go up in price too.
Well if you only want to try wave opening, I'd recommend a Kershaw Emerson or Cold Steel with their feature. The Kershaws are usually smooth with a decent detent. The most fun blade I had like that was the XL Talwar.

Fun gimmick but I prefer something that doesn't hook onto my pockets. Some pockets work better than others. People who love it will tell you it is the fastest to deploy... I'd probably be more likely to use one if I always had another knife to cut boxes - lately I carry a slipjoint in the other pocket so it'd work right now. The only one I have now is a regular AUS8 Talwar.
Old 10-11-2018, 3:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
The XL Talwar looks interesting but I already bought an returned a Cold Steel Voyager Vaquero w/a 5.5" blade because it was actually thought that it was TOO BIG. I like big knives but the Vacquero was insanely large and hardly practical to carry, let alone to use as an EDC. So, the Vacqero convinced me to limit my search to folders of around 4" or less. That's big enough for me.
Yup, I sold mine. 3.5" blade folders are great. I have a 0452, I think it is 4.1" and it is verging on awkward for some boring tasks like cutting tape. Yeah it works, but the 0909 is better and even something like a cryo G10 or 0808 would work... the 0450 is the other extreme, not a great handle for XL hands, but great for shorts carry.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The ZT 0909 is heavy though. Could use more titanium, but I don't notice at all really in jeans. Surprisingly close in weight to a fixed blade that can take down trees or pry anything, even slice.

Then again, folders don't need sheaths
Old 10-12-2018, 4:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
The common complaint about many ZT knives seems to be that they are too big and heavy to carry as EDCs. That's why they make/sell belt holsters to carry them. But, the weight/size is balanced against the praise for build and steel quality.

Don't ever plan to carry any ZT that I may buy. Just want to add some knives at the "next level" to the collection. Currently, I'm only interested in buying the ZT0350SW (Onion), ZT0562 (Hinderer) and the ZT0909 (George). Don't really like the looks of the RJ Martin ZT0609 but I do like the Sinkevich ZT0452CF.
I never found any ZT's hard to carry - maybe a 0350 for the size or a 0560. Nothing any worse than a Spyderco Tenacious or similar. The 0452 is great to carry and it weighs less than 4.5 ounces with 4.1" blade because it is a CF slab on one side and a titanium slab on the other. The 0909 was significantly cheaper and steel/G10 linerlock... seems to work on that one though. The older beefy ZT designs like the 0560 are titanium and too... otherwise they would be boat anchors like some huge S&W knife. The 0350 is a smallish blade but it is so fat it can be hard to carry and get into the pocket, but it is pretty decent if you like those Onion recurves. That one seems like it has no tip, it is so Oniony. 0566 great to carry, 0808, 0801, 0450 great to carry, etc... they are the best at that IMHO - being carried