Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 01-12-2019, 6:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscoduc View Post
Finally found this video. It's a must watch for anyone who carries and thinks they should get involved, and why I will only get involved if me or my family is directly attacked.

https://youtu.be/CQOHBSuY7TM
Good for you and you are obviously welcome to make your own choices. Not all of us are willing to to do the same
Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.
Old 01-12-2019, 6:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
IMO, a seriously over simplified view point. I wish you the best of luck with your hero complex.
I wish you the best of luck, with your over simplified flight response.
Old 01-13-2019, 9:48 AM

Quote:
IMO, a seriously over simplified view point. I wish you the best of luck with your hero complex.
Nice to meet you too. Nothing about what I said has to do with wanting to be a hero. When you’ve read the laws and/or had training for such circumstances believe it or not you can make take action confidently knowing you’ll be protected, similar to what happened in the original post. Part of “self defense” is trying to remove yourself from a dangerous situation before escalating with use of force.

All I said is if you respond within your rights you have nothing to worry about, and understanding your rights is imperative when making a decision. Since you openly stated you’d be sitting on the sidelines during a situation like this, don’t criticize people who are discussing the proper way to respond and have the balls to do so.

Last edited by Tss24; 01-13-2019 at 2:24 PM..
Old 01-18-2019, 8:11 AM

People are funny, and all wired differently. Interveners are fundamentally different than bystanders and nothing will really change that (including *gasp* forum arguments).

I have seen the bystander phenomenon before in public situations and it blows my mind. Just one personal example is where a lady was very obviously choking on food in a restaurant - I was walking out to pay and saw this, as she was already turning the wrong shade of color and pounding on her own chest. I asked if she was choking, she nodded, I gave her the Heimlich, the manager came over, she recovered, and I left before I had to talk to too many people. Thing is, she was at a table of about 8 other people who were just staring at her. I guess maybe they really didn't like her, but it blew my mind afterward that even people you know will potentially do nothing at all.

I, personally, have not ruled out helping others given that I carry. I know there's risk with that and I've accepted it. The totality of the situation in a given moment will dictate whether I do or not. I do hope I'll remember to look all around me and not get tunnel vision first.

Last edited by leadstorm; 01-18-2019 at 8:13 AM..
Old 01-18-2019, 8:13 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tss24 View Post
My first post here as a new member of Calguns. Former infantry marine and combat veteran with a decent amount of training with situations like this.

Welcome to Calguns!!

Old 01-18-2019, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadstorm View Post
People are funny, and all wired differently. Interveners are fundamentally different than bystanders and nothing will really change that (including *gasp* forum arguments).

I have seen the bystander phenomenon before in public situations and it blows my mind. Just one personal example is where a lady was very obviously choking on food in a restaurant - I was walking out to pay and saw this, as she was already turning the wrong shade of color and pounding on her own chest. I asked if she was choking, she nodded, I gave her the Heimlich, the manager came over, she recovered, and I left before I had to talk to too many people. Thing is, she was at a table of about 8 other people who were just staring at her. I guess maybe they really didn't like her, but it blew my mind afterward that even people you know will potentially do nothing at all.

I, personally, have not ruled out helping others given that I carry. I know there's risk with that and I've accepted it. The totality of the situation in a given moment will dictate whether I do or not. I do hope I'll remember to look all around me and not get tunnel vision first.
leadstorm,
Great story bud, and kudos to you for your quick decision making.
Old 01-18-2019, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tss24 View Post
Nice to meet you too. Nothing about what I said has to do with wanting to be a hero. When you’ve read the laws and/or had training for such circumstances believe it or not you can make take action confidently knowing you’ll be protected, similar to what happened in the original post. Part of “self defense” is trying to remove yourself from a dangerous situation before escalating with use of force.

All I said is if you respond within your rights you have nothing to worry about, and understanding your rights is imperative when making a decision. Since you openly stated you’d be sitting on the sidelines during a situation like this, don’t criticize people who are discussing the proper way to respond and have the balls to do so.
I agree with your posts. I believe that if you are going to carry you must train and also take measures to be informed.
Also, thanks for your service.
Old 01-20-2019, 4:14 PM

When something bad happens right in front of you, you will help out or you won't. It doesn't matter if the person in danger is a loved one or a stranger, you usually won't have time to decide or pick favorites. You'll either spring into action, run, or freeze. Train as much as you can and you"ll have a better chance of prevailing in a violent encounter.
Old 01-22-2019, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargeak99 View Post
I agree with your posts. I believe that if you are going to carry you must train and also take measures to be informed.
Also, thanks for your service.
Agree also with the caveat that any action will result in a civil lawsuit, but that's life in a lawyer-strewn society. We can all hope to do the right thing in those once in a lifetime situations, but only training, education and a good deal of scenario-based mental replay will actually help.

Assailant with upheld knife threatening a third party I'd have my hand on my gun "urging" him to back off and get out of here. I don't see how you can do more than that until the threat turns into action. Are the two arguing and the knife comes out just to make a point or is the knife-wielder advancing in the third party and he/she is trying to retreat. In any event I wouldn't employ lethal force until a knife strike; not the same standard as a LEO would apply in that situation, but I'm not LE.
Old 01-24-2019, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
Agree also with the caveat that any action will result in a civil lawsuit, but that's life in a lawyer-strewn society. We can all hope to do the right thing in those once in a lifetime situations, but only training, education and a good deal of scenario-based mental replay will actually help.

Assailant with upheld knife threatening a third party I'd have my hand on my gun "urging" him to back off and get out of here. I don't see how you can do more than that until the threat turns into action. Are the two arguing and the knife comes out just to make a point or is the knife-wielder advancing in the third party and he/she is trying to retreat. In any event I wouldn't employ lethal force until a knife strike; not the same standard as a LEO would apply in that situation, but I'm not LE.
I think stating you have a handgun/weapon should be the first attempt to de-escalate a situation if you’re coming to the aid of someone else. Just because you can carry doesn’t mean it is always necessary to immediately draw and use it, like you said. You should always be prepared to use it, but I think many people make the mistake of going to their last resort first. Drawing should always be one of your last options, not the first.
Old 01-29-2019, 6:29 AM

To add to the discussion, what happens when you dont draw, but set forward and confront? The weapon may be turned on you. The your hand is forced and you have to draw and maybe shoot. In this line of reasoning, at what point did you feel threatened or at what point did you feel it necessary to draw? Where your actions premeditated? What was the justification for intervening? Was the clerk in danger/did you fear for their safety? If justification/ fear for their safety exists along with a weapon, then this guy made the right call and used his weapon appropriately.
Old 01-29-2019, 8:26 AM
Veteran Member

Anyone see the story on monday where a driver with a pistol stopped a whack job driver who had driven some miles up to 70 mph with a man clinging to the back of the hood on a car after a small bang up on a freeway back east ? It was covered on Fox News and other media.

Psalm !