Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 04-05-2018, 9:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I just received the Wicked Edge Gen 3, no thanks to this post (cost a fortune). I added the 1200/1600 ceramics, 1500 diamond/glass, and 1/.5 micron leather strops. Holy smokes.. Hair popping! Haven't quite got the mirrored edge, but the sharpness you can achieve is mind blowing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2018, 5:40 PM

Hardhead, when I first used the Wicked Edge, I spent a lot of hours working on the mirror finish. You definitely have the hardware to do it.

After the ceramics, I like to use the 1500 diamond paddles, and then 9 micron diamond film on the glass platen. I don't think it gets any sharper beyond this stage, I'm mostly just polishing the bevel for appearance sake!

Today I sharpened a couple of folders, using just a soft Arkansas stone, freehand. I was reminded how fast the Wicked Edge is, compared to oil stones. The Wicked would have done a much better job in less than half the time. The mid-level stainless blades took forever on the soft Ark, but they will cut hair (sometimes) and cut paper a bit.
Old 05-07-2018, 7:52 AM

Anyone tried a small belt sander? I saw this video and was going to try it. $50 for the sander is pretty reasonable

https://youtu.be/U5IPEEfjINo
Old 05-08-2018, 6:27 AM

Be careful with those small fixed speed grinders. There is a large chance you'll over heat the edge ruining the heat treat and ability to hold an edge.
Old 05-10-2018, 8:08 AM

That's a good point. It is easy to ruin the temper with a belt. You could overheat the edge and still shave like the guy in the video, but the blade will not hold an edge. Practice on scrap!

I'm thinking about springing for one of these for purposes other than sharpening, but it bears a look if you were going to use it to sharpen because it is a variable speed motor. Easier on the edge, easier on the belts, maybe a little quieter.

https://www.rikontools.com/product/50-161vs
Old 05-16-2018, 6:28 AM

I got a 1x30 belt sander and did all my knives. I was careful not to get them too hot, dunked in water to cool off.

It worked awesome. Doesn't take any time at all. I'll see how well the edges hold but so far so good.
Old 05-29-2018, 5:55 AM

One thing I've recently found was the razor's edge sharpening wheels. Around $60. Two paper wheels you put in a buffer, one load up with provided grit, the other polishing compound. Produces quick, sharp and polished edges.