Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > 2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 05-22-2018, 2:54 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

That is spectacular! For some reason I don't remember hearing any that when I watched the arguments live, it's good to read the transcript for a refresher. It's full of good stuff!
Old 05-22-2018, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryMan92 View Post
That entire transcript was amazing. I cannot wait for a recording.

THE COURT: THEY USUALLY COME IN WITH MANY WEAPONS.
AND SO NOW THE ARGUMENT IS GOING TO COME AND THE STATE IS GOING
TO COME IN AND THE STATE IS GOING TO SAY, LOOK, JUDGE, WE NEED
TO PASS A LAW, AND THE LAW IS YOU CAN'T OWN MORE THAN -- PICK A
NUMBER -- 10 GUNS BECAUSE IF YOU GOT MORE THAN 10 GUNS, THE
CHANCES ARE YOU'RE GOING TO KILL AND INJURE MORE PEOPLE,
ASSAULT MORE LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS AND SO ON. WE'RE GOING
TO GET DOWN, DOING THE SAME PROGRESSION, UNTIL WE'RE AT THE
POINT WHERE YOU HAVE MAYBE ONE GUN WITH ONE ROUND, AND YOU
BETTER HOPE TO HECK THAT WHOEVER IS BREAKING INTO YOUR HOUSE TO
RAPE YOUR WIFE OR RAPE YOUR DAUGHTER THAT YOU CAN HIT HIM OR
HER WITH THAT ONE ROUND AND HIT HIM CENTER MASS.
there is no recordings for trial court which is why 112 dollars was spent for the transcript
Old 05-22-2018, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
That is spectacular! For some reason I don't remember hearing any that when I watched the arguments live, it's good to read the transcript for a refresher. It's full of good stuff!
this is a different argument. The one you saw was at the Ninth Circuit. This is for the trial court which is having hearings at the same time.
Old 05-22-2018, 3:19 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
this is a different argument. The one you saw was at the Ninth Circuit. This is for the trial court which is having hearings at the same time.
Oh, thank you, that explains why a lot of it seemed unfamiliar
Old 05-22-2018, 5:48 PM

I wondered when we'd get a Judge who would link Caetano, Heller, Miller, and McDonald together...

That transcript is quite the entertaining read.
Old 05-22-2018, 5:53 PM

It is a great read. The only thing the state has is intermediate scrutiny, then everything flows from that. Not a Good fit, so what. All of our studies are just conclusions without data, so what don't need it. Logical holes larger than a 50rd drum mag, don't care, doesn't apply.

The best part is where the judge goes and says can I not only toss the grandfathering under the bus but how about the new acquisition ban as well. Of course our side says yes.

If this does go our way I'm sure none of itwill survive the ninth. But if the gun grabbers see that incrementalism doesn't work as each new law can get old ones tossed then they might think twice.
Old 05-22-2018, 6:19 PM

One thing they danced around was why does Law Enforcement need large capacity magazines when the citizenry does not? Why do LEO's end up having absurdly high round counts in LE involved shootings?

Was the average number of rounds used in LE shooting included as part of the record?

That's one area that the Plaintiff and the Judge missed out on and the state's answer would be interesting when contrasted with the citizens' need for self defense in the home setting. What's the practical difference? The majority of LE involved shootings involve a single subject.
Old 05-22-2018, 6:27 PM

I also have some questions:

1) If this Judge issued the initial PI why was he back on the case?
2) Did CA provide the proper answer to the proper scrutiny especially with Fyoc?
Old 05-23-2018, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky c View Post
One thing they danced around was why does Law Enforcement need large capacity magazines when the citizenry does not? Why do LEO's end up having absurdly high round counts in LE involved shootings?

Was the average number of rounds used in LE shooting included as part of the record?

That's one area that the Plaintiff and the Judge missed out on and the state's answer would be interesting when contrasted with the citizens' need for self defense in the home setting. What's the practical difference? The majority of LE involved shootings involve a single subject.
I'd like to know what statistics your referring to. Or does it come from your experience watching the news and conversations with others?

"Absurdly high round counts"

I am a proponent of allowing standard capacity magazines to law abiding citizens.

Go execute a warrant in South Central LA with a 10 round magazine, or conduct a high-risk traffic stop with one. These situations do not correlate with the general public's "defense", as these are enforcement measures. There is a need for the good gear in the LE line of work.

Basic principles of your argument apply to "if bad guys don't wear body armor, then neither should we".

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2018, 8:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyfofu69 View Post
I'd like to know what statistics your referring to. Or does it come from your experience watching the news and conversations with others?

I am a proponent of allowing standard capacity magazines to law abiding citizens.

Go execute a warrant in South Central LA with a 10 round magazine, or conduct a high-risk traffic stop with one. These situations do not correlate with the general public's "defense", as these are enforcement measures. There is a need for the good gear in the LE line of work.

Basic principles of your argument apply to "if bad guys don't wear body armor, then neither should we".

Which are all reasons to have larger magazines while on duty but I have yet to see a reason why off duty or even retired officers need more defense than other civilians.

I see no reason why a retired LEO need any more defense than anyone else. The judge pokes a huge hole through the training argument, which it self is off point. Ability isn't need.
Old 05-23-2018, 9:00 AM

Quote:

Poor word choice on my part perhaps. I'm not finding it at the moment, but there was an FBI study that touched on round counts anecdotally.

If that gang banger from South Central comes to my house with the intent to do harm; the state implies that a 10 round magazine in my Glock 17 is sufficient whereas the responding officer to my distress call is carrying 17 in the same pistol. Is his need for self defense more acute than mine? That is the position the state is taking.

Police officers carry firearms purely for defense of their person, fellow officers, and the public at large. Their defensive needs are no more acute than a citizens' when confronted by the same violent criminal.
Old 05-23-2018, 9:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky c View Post
Poor word choice on my part perhaps. I'm not finding it at the moment, but there was an FBI study that touched on round counts anecdotally.

If that gang banger from South Central comes to my house with the intent to do harm; the state implies that a 10 round magazine in my Glock 17 is sufficient whereas the responding officer to my distress call is carrying 17 in the same pistol. Is his need for self defense more acute than mine? That is the position the state is taking.

Police officers carry firearms purely for defense of their person, fellow officers, and the public at large. Their defensive needs are no more acute than a citizens' when confronted by the same violent criminal.
Again, using your argument under 1 specific scenario. There are other functions, units and authorities that are beyond the scope of your patrol officer responding to a service call.

In your capacity as a citizen; you won't work as a Undercover Officer for that Drug Buy, work a remote stretch of the border with little to no assistance, execute that warrant on a house full of occupants, or attempt to stop a high speed pursuit on the 405. There is a need to have equipment.

The use of a firearm for defense is the same for oneself, officer and citizen alike. I draw the distinction for a greater need when an officer has to act to stop a crime, or actively work to encounter a specific threat; when a citizen can walk away and not act without repurcussion.

I hope one day you can have a magazine you deem appropriate in capacity.

But your argument of LE should only have access to the same equipment your average California citizen has; because the people they face are similarly equipped is flawed.

Perhaps we should similarly equip our military to fight on a level playing field with advesaries.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:59 AM

Nobody in the world can tell me whether I will face worse odds than a LEO from violent criminals if attacked. Nobody can tell me I will never be attacked, or that I will.

The LEO distinction is a dodge by politicians to keep dissent down and political contributions from unions coming. Any idea that it relates to their safety or mine is night soil.

NYPD has a hit ratio of about 17%. I seem to recall a group of LEO's recently falling all over each other to shoot a guy, firing a total of 65 rounds for zero hits. Certainly there are some very competent officers out there (the TX traffic cop who took on two would-be jihadis with "assault weapons" and body armor with his .45 ACP Glock and won comes to mind) but they are not the norm.

If anything, I have a bigger incentive than a LEO to be careful about placing my rounds, since they have no liability at law except under the most unusual circumstances. I am not so situated, by the will of the same politicians.

The LEO exclusions can be rolled up into a tight little ball and inserted firmly, deeply, into the nether regions of Mr. Becerra et al.

I am happy the judge is doing his duty here. It's nice to see.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:06 PM

Default I think you're missing the point

Quote:
Again, using your argument under 1 specific scenario. There are other functions, units and authorities that are beyond the scope of your patrol officer responding to a service call.

In your capacity as a citizen; you won't work as a Undercover Officer for that Drug Buy, work a remote stretch of the border with little to no assistance, execute that warrant on a house full of occupants, or attempt to stop a high speed pursuit on the 405. There is a need to have equipment.

The use of a firearm for defense is the same for oneself, officer and citizen alike. I draw the distinction for a greater need when an officer has to act to stop a crime, or actively work to encounter a specific threat; when a citizen can walk away and not act without repurcussion.

I hope one day you can have a magazine you deem appropriate in capacity.

But your argument of LE should only have access to the same equipment your average California citizen has; because the people they face are similarly equipped is flawed.

Perhaps we should similarly equip our military to fight on a level playing field with advesaries.
The point isn't that the police should have lower capacity magazines it's that the public should have the same capacity magazines as police.

Kinda like, how if smart guns are such a great idea, why aren't LEAs and the military clamoring for them? Why should the general public have less than the State has?
Old 05-23-2018, 12:09 PM

Bunyfofu69... nicky c agreeing with you. You are reading his posts incorrectly.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
your argument of LE should only have access to the same equipment your average California citizen has; because the people they face are similarly equipped is flawed.
Are you actually defending the state's bastardization of equal protection? I don't know why some of you people have such a hard-on for LEOs and place them on a saintly pure-2A pedestal above the unwashed masses who can't be trusted. The 2A was written precisely to ensure we were all on equal footing, and you celebrate the tilting of the board.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenemae View Post
Are you actually defending the state's bastardization of equal protection? I don't know why some of you people have such a hard-on for LEOs and place them on a saintly pure-2A pedestal above the unwashed masses who can't be trusted. The 2A was written precisely to ensure we were all on equal footing, and you celebrate the tilting of the board.
Perhaps you should read my post again, and the one before. I am all for law abiding citizens possessing SCMs.

But the argument put forth "I can't have it, so no one should either", I have a problem with.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Perhaps you should read my post again, and the one before. I am all for law abiding citizens possessing SCMs.

But the argument put forth "I can't have it, so no one should either", I have a problem with.
Out of curiosity, where do you come down on large capacity magazines (e.g. magazines with capacity > 10 rounds)? By one definition (what qualifies to get on the list of CA-acceptable pistols) SCMs are those with a capacity of 10 rounds or less.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:31 PM

Standard capacity magazines. The same magazines you can get in the great state of Texas.

10,15,30,45 capacity to make you feel warm and fuzzy.

Belt-fed is another matter. Let's not go there.

Old 05-23-2018, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
there is no recordings for trial court which is why 112 dollars was spent for the transcript
Thanks so much for posting that wolfwood, it was 123 pages of pure joy.