Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 06-06-2020, 3:08 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by general_disarray_prk View Post
Thanks for taking the time to share your collection - I especially like your Japan collection!
The rifles have some very nice wood compared to what one usually sees!
Do they all have Mums on the receiver or?
Have you ever had the ammo to fire any of them?
Would also like to see a write up of the Nambu - cool that you have the clamshell rig for it as well!
Thanks for the kind words. Collecting Japanese arms and accouterments is fairly new for me so I have a lot to learn about the finer nuances of them. All my rifles still have their Mums. The Type 38 is fairly early as it was made in 1913 and is in excellent condition. I haven't shot these particular rifles yet, but I have shot various Arisaka in the past and the Type 99's are similar to shooting a .30-06. I am very enamored of 6.5 rifle cartridges and the Japanese 6.4x52 is a soft shooter, much like a 6.5x55 Swede.

I actually have a couple of Nambu's now as I recently found a rather rare Chigusa manufactured Type14. Of the three Nagoya Arsenal-affiliated producers of Type 14 pistols, the one with the smallest production total was the very first manufacturer of Type 14 pistols, the Chigusa Branch of Nagoya Arsenal, which made only about 7,800 pistols. Mine was made in 1932 and you can clearly see the difference between guns made before hostilities started and those produced deeper into WWII.

Top: July, 1932 (7.7 Showa date) Chigusa T14
Bottom: March, 1941 (16.3 Showa date) Kokubunji T14. “original series” pistol made by the Kokubunji factory of Nambu/Chuo Kogyo under the supervision of the Nagoya arsenal.

For me though, the real centerpiece of the Japanese collection is the somewhat beat officers sword. Looking at the crude field repair on the end of the scabbard tells a lot about the hardships the Japanese soldiers went through. Depending on how you read the signature, it was either made around 1300 or sometime in the mid 1500's.

Last edited by highpower; 06-19-2020 at 7:08 AM..
Old 06-07-2020, 9:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

They are beautiful preserved by you.

Cheers!